Team mini camp notes

Stinger226

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hester no where near the Offense. I see him cut if he doesnt impress anybody with some flash.

Carmi practicing strictly at Guard. Do we see a Fluker in our future?

I saw the quotes from trestman regarding carimi and was a little shocked that he won't at least compete at RT. That tells me that Webb is almost a lock there and I don't like that. I want Webb to at least fight for that spot

I saw the quotes from trestman regarding carimi and was a little shocked that he won't at least compete at RT. That tells me that Webb is almost a lock there and I don't like that. I want Webb to at least fight for that spot

I also hate this idea. Webb must be the best damn practice player in the world.

Jeff Dickerson ‏@ESPNChiBears 1h

Gabe Carimi is working at LG, RG and RT. #Bears

Marc Trestman believes Gabe Carimi is best suited for guard. #Bears

So he is working at RT and fighting with Webb but Trestman just thinks he's best suited for OG. That tells me either Webb looks better than Carimi or Webb is gone....The OTs in the draft all look pretty weak past the big 3 so I hope my boy JWebb continues to progress under Kromer.

So he is working at RT and fighting with Webb but Trestman just thinks he's best suited for OG. That tells me either Webb looks better than Carimi or Webb is gone....The OTs in the draft all look pretty weak past the big 3 so I hope my boy JWebb continues to progress under Kromer.

And I hope almost the exact opposite. I hope Carimi is actually given a chance at RT, beats out Webb, and Webb becomes the swing tackle. Then the Bears can draft Cooper or Warmack if either fall, and the OL is immediately younger and improved: Bushrod - rookie - Garza - Slauson - Carimi.

Looks better after 1 non padded practice for a 1st time HC? Sorry won't buy that for a second. I hope our staff doesn't make that kind of judgement that quick. I think webb might be better at RT but I want to see a true competition

Looks better after 1 non padded practice for a 1st time HC? Sorry won't buy that for a second. I hope our staff doesn't make that kind of judgement that quick. I think webb might be better at RT but I want to see a true competition

I agree that it's little odd for him to pinpoint him as an OG after 1 day but he's already made the statement.

I really like Kyle Long in the 2nd, and he would be a great RT.

They have film.

This is true. Here's an article on the situation http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/footb...0,4695292.story

“More a guard,” Trestman said when asked what he considered Carimi. “He was hurt all last year so we’re going to focus in on him competing at the guard position with Matt (Slauson).”

Interesting quote. You'd think the injury would have them more focused on him as a RT.

I really like Kyle Long in the 2nd, and he would be a great RT.

Long is pretty raw, I'm not sure he can start right away, and reports are he's better suited to play OG. He was moved to LG from LT due to struggles.

And I hope almost the exact opposite. I hope Carimi is actually given a chance at RT, beats out Webb, and Webb becomes the swing tackle. Then the Bears can draft Cooper or Warmack if either fall, and the OL is immediately younger and improved: Bushrod - rookie - Garza - Slauson - Carimi.

Todays starters were LT-Bushrod, LG-Slauson, C-Garza, RG-James Brown, LT-Webb

Thought Carimi was more of a guard anyways. He'll probably be cut if they end up drafting or finding a starter they like over him.

I wouldn't jump to him getting cut any time soon. Our starting guards are Matt Slauson and James Brown. As for Slauson, the Jets o-line sucked last year and the best offer he got was a one year minimum deal with the Bears. He signed with us because we guaranteed him $200,000. That's the best offer he got.

James Brown was on the practice squad last year. Meanwhile, Garza is old and Webb sucks. Not to mention Bushrod was mediocre last year.

If Carimi can be close to being an average o-lineman, he has a place on this team.

On a side note, why does everyone forget that we claim to really like Walter Scott? He could be our starting RT.

Hester no where near the Offense. I see him cut if he doesnt impress anybody with some flash.

Carmi practicing strictly at Guard. Do we see a Fluker in our future?

Love the idea of no Hester on offense. I was cringing that the new coaching staff would talk about "utilizing Hester" or "The Hester package." This is Devin's chance to cement himself in history to not just being the best return man whoever lived, but to setting the bar so high, no other return man can reach it. This is especially true as they make returning more difficult.

It's amazing what good field position teams still gave us last year even though Hester was mediocre at best.

He's expensive, but if he's dynamic, he's easily worth it.

I saw a Tribune article from today on Emery's comments during minicamp. Apparently they have a standing offer out to Idonije. He also talked about the depth of the CB position in the draft, that they were looking at 12-15 players in the draft who they saw as immediate contributors.

I wouldn't jump to him getting cut any time soon. Our starting guards are Matt Slauson and James Brown.

If they already like James Brown over Carimi now, and they draft another guard who takes over as a starter, Its very possible Carimi could be an odd man out. Depends what happens the rest of the off-season. Emery didn't mess around with Chris Williams for very long until they tossed him aside. I think he does end up staying though for depth purposes, but it wouldn't surprise me to see him gone.

I saw a Tribune article from today on Emery's comments during minicamp. Apparently they have a standing offer out to Idonije. He also talked about the depth of the CB position in the draft, that they were looking at 12-15 players in the draft who they saw as immediate contributors.

Hopefully Idonije signs and it's a done deal. He's been one of the most underappreciated players on this team.

As for the CB position, I wondered if that was a smokescreen. I believe he said it was deep in CB, Safety, o-line and d-line. That and he really likes Manti Teo . . . with the exception of maybe drafting a linebacker because we are so thin at the position, I really can't see us going defense.