Bears Sign Eben Britton OG

scs787

More competition. He was actually decent as a rookie, got injured, and never got back to where he was. Can play multiple positions on the line, so he adds some versatility to the bench if he makes the team.

Yep. I remember I was hoping the Bears would draft him before we made the Cutler deal and signed Orlando Pace.

That being said, is it the Bears goal to have every o-lineman be able to play inside or out? James Brown was drafted as a tackle and played RG today. Same with Carimi and now we add Britton to the mix.

Ideally, guards are between 6-2 and 6-4. Garza is 6-2, Lance Louis 6-3, Ruben Brown was 6-3. Jonathon Cooper and Chance Womack are 6-2 and 6-3.

Now we have declared Carimi is a guard at 6-7 and I'm guessing Britton will compete as a guard at 6-6 and Slauson 6-5.

I think of guards as being more squat and powerful and tackles being longer and leaner like Carimi. Are tall guards something the team hopes to have or is it just a coincidence?

Former 2nd round pick....But PFF gave him a worse rating than Chilo Rachal...Thats bad. Maybe Kromer sees something he can fix.

It doesnt cost anything to sign these type of players, and if he realizes his potenial, we may have another piece to add to the mix. Our cap is measured by the top 51 players salaries.

I like the fact that we are stocking this roster with NFL players at pretty much every position. While there are certainly weak spots, there's no gaping hole with no one currently on the roster who can compete for a starting job. I foresee a very BPA type of draft.

Now we have declared Carimi is a guard at 6-7 and I'm guessing Britton will compete as a guard at 6-6 and Slauson 6-5.

I think of guards as being more squat and powerful and tackles being longer and leaner like Carimi. Are tall guards something the team hopes to have or is it just a coincidence?

I think it's coincidence. Taller players sometimes have a little trouble playing the OG spot. However, they can get by with it if they have the ability to play lower and are already good run blockers from the tackle position. I've always said, if you draft a tackle and they fail, put them at guard. It works more times than not.

I think it's coincidence. Taller players sometimes have a little trouble playing the OG spot. However, they can get by with it if they have the ability to play lower and are already good run blockers from the tackle position. I've always said, if you draft a tackle and they fail, put them at guard. It works more times than not.

Went back and read his draft profiles and it states he doesnt have the footwork to be a OT but a strong run blocker with an attitude. Despite his size, has good leverage with his blocks. He was never hurt in college. It sounds like a descent prospect to play OG but was derailed with injuries while in the league. If his injuries are behind him, he could become a starter. I think Kromer has input in some of the OLine prospects we are bringing in. Maybe he has plan that could work out. I dont think we should discount the fact he may like Brown and that may end up being our RG going forward.

Why do I remember this name?

It's definitely because of the draft. When he came out a lot of the mocks had the Bears taking him. The reason why? Oher was already gone. Even then everyone knew the Bears needed OL help.