The look on paper

Wesson44

So as of right now this is what our Bears look like on paper. Not bad but we can get better IMHO the players listed in Bold are locks to make the team, the underlined ones are the first to be cut, but the others are a toss up as to who stays and who goes

QB

Cutler, McCown, Blanchard

RB

Forte, Bush, Allen, Unga,

TE

Bennett, Maneri, Rodriguez, Adams, Eldridge, Miller, Onobun

WR

Marshall, Jeffery, Bennett, Weems, Anderson, Golden, Moss, Toliver,

OT

Bushrod, Webb, Carimi, Scott,Brandon,

OG

Slauson, Brown, Williams, Britton, Riley, Dennis,

C

Garza, Boggs,

DE

Peppers, McClellin, Wootton, McBride, Ozougwu, Moore, Whiteside

DT

Melton, Paea, Collins, Fluellen,

LB

Williams, Briggs, Andersrson, Costanzo, DeCicco, Thomas, Franklin, Trahan, Wilson

CB

Tillman, Jennings, Hayden, Bowman,McManis, Lewis, Frey,

FS

Conte, Steltz, Zbikowski, Nelson,

SS

Wright, Hardin, Walters, Quarles,

ST

Gould (K), Hester (KR/PR), Mannelly (LS), Podlesh, (P)

I really think Kyle Moore makes this ball club and contributes....I wouldn't be shocked to see Harvey Unga at FB either. I know I'll get flamed for that comment by someone.

Those are both good observations. I don't understand how Unga is still around, but there must be a reason.

I really think Kyle Moore makes this ball club and contributes....I wouldn't be shocked to see Harvey Unga at FB either. I know I'll get flamed for that comment by someone.

Not by me. I'd rather see Harvey Unga at FB, Rodriguez as the second TE that everyone seemingly covets, and then the Bears don't have to waste another pick on a TE.

I don't see Carimi as a lock. He's listed as a backup OG right now behind Brown and Slauson. They continue to bring in competition for backup OG in Britton and I have no reason to think there won't be another body competing at OG after the draft. I can't see that they are that satisfied with Brown/Carimi as a lock to be a starter when they haven't seen either in pads blocking someone this year.

Not by me. I'd rather see Harvey Unga at FB, Rodriguez as the second TE that everyone seemingly covets, and then the Bears don't have to waste another pick on a TE.

I dont think they signed anybody to the roster in FAgency , just to practice contracts. They see upside in him more than who is on the roster behind the starters. The only way I dont see him making it is if Izzy resigns.

The thing I like about drafting a BIG TE (emphasis on the big) to play over ERod is the mismatch it could/would create. Rodriguez, according to this scouting report I'm looking at, is only 6'1" so he doesn't really force other teams defenses to put a LB on him. If you put Bennett out there with an Eifert (6'6"), Ertz (6'5"), Escobar (6'6"), Toiolo (6'8"), or Fauria (6'8"), opposing defenses would be forced to drop 2 LBs into coverage to D up on those 2 guys. If they don't then the big TE's can give corners or safeties a headache with their size.

When a defense is forced to put 2 LBs into coverage AND have to worry about Forte coming out of backfield to catch the ball it creates all sorts of mismatches. I think the ace package that lines up Forte in the backfield and lines up Marshall, Jeffery, Bennett, and another big 6'5"+ TE would cause all sorts of headaches for defenses to defend. It's possible that the other team would have to use all 3 of their LBs in coverage, one on Bennett, one on the new big TE, and one on Forte. LBs are the guys who gave the Bears OL the most problems in pass blocking last year, so if they can eliminate that problem by forcing LBs into coverage then you can keep Cutler from "running like hell".

That's my reasoning behind why I think drafting a big TE wouldn't be a "waste" and why I think the Bears are still looking at TEs in the draft.

The thing I like about drafting a BIG TE (emphasis on the big) to play over ERod is the mismatch it could/would create. Rodriguez, according to this scouting report I'm looking at, is only 6'1" so he doesn't really force other teams defenses to put a LB on him. If you put Bennett out there with an Eifert (6'6"), Ertz (6'5"), Escobar (6'6"), Toiolo (6'8"), or Fauria (6'8"), opposing defenses would be forced to drop 2 LBs into coverage to D up on those 2 guys. If they don't then the big TE's can give corners or safeties a headache with their size.

When a defense is forced to put 2 LBs into coverage AND have to worry about Forte coming out of backfield to catch the ball it creates all sorts of mismatches. I think the ace package that lines up Forte in the backfield and lines up Marshall, Jeffery, Bennett, and another big 6'5"+ TE would cause all sorts of headaches for defenses to defend. It's possible that the other team would have to use all 3 of their LBs in coverage, one on Bennett, one on the new big TE, and one on Forte. LBs are the guys who gave the Bears OL the most problems in pass blocking last year, so if they can eliminate that problem by forcing LBs into coverage then you can keep Cutler from "running like hell".

That's my reasoning behind why I think drafting a big TE wouldn't be a "waste" and why I think the Bears are still looking at TEs in the draft.

I wouldnt bitch and complain if that happened, there is some logic to your argument, but like you said we dont know what Trestman wants to do, so he will get what his thinks he needs, whether that be another TE or a speedy WR. We simply dont know what he wants. He is a composite of eveything he has experenced, so we can say he is a WCO coach but may be many different schemes mixed together.

I wouldnt bitch and complain if that happened, there is some logic to your argument, but like you said we dont know what Trestman wants to do, so he will get what his thinks he needs, whether that be another TE or a speedy WR. We simply dont know what he wants. He is a composite of eveything he has experenced, so we can say he is a WCO coach but may be many different schemes mixed together.

Lets just hope he is not assuming we have 12 players on a side.

But why not have someone like Rodriguez, who is 'smaller', using the same logic? If he turns out to be a true 'pass catching TE' then how is the opposing strategy for someone like him different than having a large (Bennett-like) TE to contend with? Generally they aren't as elusive or quick as someone who is smaller but sturdier built. In my mind having a Rodriquez type receiver available, and IF he proves able to catch and run then that provides more a challenge to the opponents. You're not set on having an LB defend but maybe forced into Nickel coverage. And we all know generally Nickel corners in the league aren't as good as the #1 and 2.

But why not have someone like Rodriguez, who is 'smaller', using the same logic? If he turns out to be a true 'pass catching TE' then how is the opposing strategy for someone like him different than having a large (Bennett-like) TE to contend with? Generally they aren't as elusive or quick as someone who is smaller but sturdier built. In my mind having a Rodriquez type receiver available, and IF he proves able to catch and run then that provides more a challenge to the opponents. You're not set on having an LB defend but maybe forced into Nickel coverage. And we all know generally Nickel corners in the league aren't as good as the #1 and 2.

Hmm, good point. I hadn't thought about it that way. I think I'd still rather have a LB on a big TE than nickel corner on ERod. A teams #3 corner is still probably better in coverage than an LB.

Lets put it this way. If you're the Green Bay Packers would you rather have 5'11" Casey Hayword out there on 6'1" Evan Rodriguez or be forced to put out a LB on a 6'6" Tyler Eifert.

I don't see Carimi as a lock. He's listed as a backup OG right now behind Brown and Slauson. They continue to bring in competition for backup OG in Britton and I have no reason to think there won't be another body competing at OG after the draft. I can't see that they are that satisfied with Brown/Carimi as a lock to be a starter when they haven't seen either in pads blocking someone this year.

Where do you see this? Iam confused , I was under the impression that nothing has been determined yet? LIke, Its only the 2nd day of practice right?

I know, I know, I know. This infatuation with height. Again. Just like last year. The Bears should not sign any WR or TE from here on out unless that dude is 6'6" or taller.

But since you and many others are such a fan of the two TE system, here's an interesting comparison (measurables from wikipedia):

Aaron Hernandez - 6'2", 245lbs = Evan Rodriguez - 6'2", 239lbs

Rob Gronkowski - 6'6", 265lbs = Martellus Bennett - 6'6", 265lbs

That is downright uncanny.

Hmm, good point. I hadn't thought about it that way. I think I'd still rather have a LB on a big TE than nickel corner on ERod. A teams #3 corner is still probably better in coverage than an LB.

Lets put it this way. If you're the Green Bay Packers would you rather have 5'11" Casey Hayword out there on 6'1" Evan Rodriguez or be forced to put out a LB on a 6'6" Tyler Eifert.

Eifert might make the catch over Hayward, but is unlikely to break away. A smaller, faster guy like Rodriguez might catch the pass in stride and never get touched.

If all passes are jump balls or fade routes, sure, go with the taller player. Otherwise, it's but one measurable to consider.

Vernon Davis is 6'3 and Hernandez is 6'1, I think they do ok not being tall.

Where do you see this? Iam confused , I was under the impression that nothing has been determined yet? LIke, Its only the 2nd day of practice right?

1) He's not practicing as a starter

2) He's getting very few reps at RT

3) He's "competing" (coaches words) with Slauson at RG therefore he's not competing with Brown at LG

4) The Bears just signed another backup OG in Britton....who is he competing with?

I didn't say he won't make the team, I hope he has improved and earns a starting job. Right now as I see it he's 3rd on the depth chart. If we draft an OG we know that guy is staying. I believe Slauson is staying. Carimi competes with Brown and Britton to be backup OG.

I don't see that as a guaranteed position on our roster...or as the original post phrased it..."a lock".