My Dream/Final Mock

scs787

Alright so let me first say that I hate/never believe people when they say I had a dream about a draft and think its silly. Well last night I did indeed have a dream about our Bears and the key piece of that dream was my boy Jesse Williams. We were in the super bowl, down by 6, inside 2 minutes, and we had the ball 4th and 1 near mid field(against the Broncos FWIW). Jesse Williams was lined up as the FB (something he did at Bama a few times), he gets the ball, baits the D in to stop the run then BOOM hits em with a rugby type flea flicker back to Cutler who then nails a wide open Martellus Bennett for the go ahead TD to win the super bowl.

Unrealistic to actually happen but just for that I'm putting Jesse Williams on my final mock..He's a beast.

Here it is, my final mock that everyone will hate (No OL early??? OMGZ you're an idiot!! Jay Cutler kicked your dog didn't he?)

I wanna use Adams template for the picks.

35- Zach Ertz TE "TE U"- I have really fallen in love with the idea of making ERod the FB (who gets utilized) and adding another big pass catching TE.

50- Jonathon Banks CB Miss St.- Kelvin Hayden was no good last year, an upgrade at the nickel is needed IMO and this also gives them some insurance for the future.

74- Jesse Williams DT Bama- We all know I have a man crush on this dude. He becomes the last piece of the DT rotation and he could see some time on offense in a jumbo package.

101- Zaviar Gooden LB Mizzu- Depth at LB and could start next year. (I'm a fan of DJ and Anderson and would like to see them get extended but we'll see how that plays out)

117- Brian Schwenke OC Cal- Everyone here wants this guy. If Kromer can't light a fire under Garza then an upgrade is needed, Schwenke gives you that.

153- Reid Fragel OT OSU- Fragel is an ex TE who looked good at OT when moved there. He becomes Kromers project who steps in next year if they dont resign Webb. Yes, I believe Webb is our starting RT next year, and I also think Brown or Carimi will be good enough to man the other OG spot.

157- Jordan Rodgers QB Vandy- lol just because...No really, little Rodgers becomes Trestmans project and with any kind of luck can become the Bears #2 QB. (I really think Jay has a good year and we bring him back for a few more years.)

Hate on haters. =p

I don't have a huge problem with it, except I'm very much not in the "draft a TE" camp and would actually like the draft very much if Ertz was swapped out for a WR. After this same staff (including Emery) kept making sly comparisons between E-Rod and Aaaron Hernandez, I don't know why you don't give him a chance to perform like it withe Bennett in the Gronk role. If that doesn't work, fine, let's grab a TE early next year. But let's give him a chance to live up to the comparisons they've been making. Meanwhile, our fourth WR is Eric Weems and Earl Bennett hasn't exactly stepped up. Give someone like DeAndre Hopkins or Keenan Allen at #35, and I'm happy.

I obviously don't like it. In fact, I hate it.

1) With Bennett on the roster, picking a TE early is just a waste in my opinion.

2) His slowness scares me.

3) Despite your man-crush, Williams is a NT in a 3-4, period. He doesn't have refined pass rush ability or the speed to collapse a pocket.

4) Don't like the Fragel pick either. Aside from it being far too late for OL help (we disagree), I'm just not a fan of his, or of the fact that he was a late convert to the position.

I don't mind the other players that much. Love the Zaviar Gooden pick; I think he'll be special, and a steal.

I don't have a huge problem with it, except I'm very much not in the "draft a TE" camp and would actually like the draft very much if Ertz was swapped out for a WR. After this same staff (including Emery) kept making sly comparisons between E-Rod and Aaaron Hernandez, I don't know why you don't give him a chance to perform like it withe Bennett in the Gronk role. If that doesn't work, fine, let's grab a TE early next year. But let's give him a chance to live up to the comparisons they've been making. Meanwhile, our fourth WR is Eric Weems and Earl Bennett hasn't exactly stepped up. Give someone like DeAndre Hopkins or Keenan Allen at #35, and I'm happy.

The thing with Evan at TE is if he was any good at TE then why didn't he see any time there last year? Esp. with our awful TEs. Evan played in 12 games last year, and I struggle to remember how many times he was lined up as a TE, I can't recall 1 time to be honest. Was Lovie and his staff that inept that they didn't realize we have a Aaron Hernandez clone just wasting away while Kellen Davis and Matt Spaeth steal his reps at TE? Also why was Evan only playing FB during minicamp? You'd think if they had a game plan for him outside of FB then he'd get some reps there right?

If the rumors us being interested in Eifert and Ertz are to be believed coupled with the fact that Evan was only used at FB then I think they value a TE over a WR.

In an offense with 2 TEs and the backs being utilized a lot in the pass game I don't think we need a good #4, and I'd actually like to see what Joe Anderson can bring to the table as our #4 over Weems. He seems like the physical type of WR we like here.

1) With Bennett on the roster, picking a TE early is just a waste in my opinion.

3) Despite your man-crush, Williams is a NT in a 3-4, period. He doesn't have refined pass rush ability or the speed to collapse a pocket.

4) Don't like the Fragel pick either. Aside from it being far too late for OL help (we disagree), I'm just not a fan of his, or of the fact that he was a late convert to the position.

I don't mind the other players that much. Love the Zaviar Gooden pick; I think he'll be special, and a steal.

I knew you would.

1. It all depends on how Trestman envisions the offense. With the rumors of them having an interest in Eifert and Ertz they may want Evan to play FB (like he did in mini camp) and utilize 2 big TEs....If them having interest in those 2 guys is only a mirage to try and get teams to trade up then that's fine with me too, go grab a WR then. I really do love the idea of having 2 big pass catching TEs with a ERod, who looked great there last year, as our FB who also gets utilized in the passing game.

2. He ran .03 seconds behind Eiferts 40, and actually ran the same 40 time as Martellus. If that kind of "slowness" scares you then you must not like the Bennett move either.

3. Williams can be much more than a 3-4 DT in my eyes. Doesn't have the speed? The guy ran a 4.86 40 @ 323 pounds. I see him as a Paea clone who has the potential to be better.

4. I knew we'd disagree on waiting that late to get a OL piece but I won't argue about it because I know there is no convincing you. I can see Fragel getting coached up for a year under Kromer and coming in next year and being the starting RT....If they don't bring Webb back....*Sits back and waits for jasons head to explode*

I'm not trying to crap on your dream, I just don't see the value in a TE so early. Assuming Forte is on the field, you wouldn't see a second TE in situations with 3 or more WR's on the field. If a fullback is being used, a second TE would only be on the field with 1 WR. There's just such a limited use for 2 TE's, unless Trestman specifically tooled his offense for that. I can't see him doing that just so he can draft a second TE. Considering Tresman's use of RB's in the past and ERod's ability to catch, I could see him being used much more this year catching out of the backfield.

I also don't see the return in value in drafting a WR that early. Jeffery and Marshall are likely cemented as starters for a few years, unless you are giving up on Jeffery. I'd like to see a speed WR drafted in maybe the 4th or 5th. As the line stands, a speed WR will not have the time to get open often. An OL pick early will help buy the time.

I'm not trying to crap on your dream, I just don't see the value in a TE so early. Assuming Forte is on the field, you wouldn't see a second TE in situations with 3 or more WR's on the field. If a fullback is being used, a second TE would only be on the field with 1 WR. There's just such a limited use for 2 TE's, unless Trestman specifically tooled his offense for that. I can't see him doing that just so he can draft a second TE. Considering Tresman's use of RB's in the past and ERod's ability to catch, I could see him being used much more this year catching out of the backfield.

I also don't see the return in value in drafting a WR that early. Jeffery and Marshall are likely cemented as starters for a few years, unless you are giving up on Jeffery. I'd like to see a speed WR drafted in maybe the 4th or 5th. As the line stands, a speed WR will not have the time to get open often. An OL pick early will help buy the time.

My dream was only about Jesse Williams. The rest is just going off the little info we have received early. Webb is said to be looking good, so I dont draft a OT early. Rodriguez has been playing FB since he's been here, including in mini camp, and I believe Trestmans offense can be deadly with 2 big TEs. It's a personal belief of mine that the winner of Gabe Carimi vs James Brown will be our starting left or right guard, depending on where they wanna put Slausson, so I don't take an OG early. With that new guy we just signed and the potential of Garza getting booted from his OC spot I don't draft an OG at all.

Matt Bowen brought up the Ace package awhile ago as an offense we're going to see a lot. He also mentioned they'll use a lot of hi/low with the receivers (options on the same side of the field, 1 hi, 1 low). I really think an Ace package utilizing Marshall and Ertz on one side and Jeffery and Martellus on the other, working the hi/low with the big TEs underneath is a package that can be very physical and very dominating on the offensive side of the ball.

Ertz would be off the field when they use I or split back formations with Forte and ERod in the backfield. You can run out of that formation and also use the play action off that.

It's all about mixing up the formations and keeping the defense guessing.

Micheal C Wrights take on Evan and drafting a TE....

Brett (Frankfort )

What do you think about the Bears picking up Ertz or Eifert and running the two tight end scheme?

Michael(1:18 PM)

I like it, Brett. It adds more diversity to a Marc Trestman offense that will already be pretty diverse. From what I've heard, the Bears really do want a second "F" type of tight end.

Ty (San Francisco)

If the bears really do want an F-type of TE - what was the even roduiguez signing all about - a big bust

Michael(1:54 PM)

Ty, Evan Rodriguez was a fourth-round pick. I think you can only apply that bust label to first rounders. Also I think at this point, Rodriguez is going to be more of a fullback. He blocked well last year.

We are in agreement.

I like Banks and Schwenke, I am ok with Gooden and Fragel. If Williams can play DT for a 4-3, then I would be ok there. Rodgers, eh, probably could get him as a UDFA. After going back and forth on TE, I think it is a mistake after investing so much money in Bennett. To me the top 2 areas to address are OL and LB, specifically MLB. Then CB, WR, and DT in no particular order.

The thing with Evan at TE is if he was any good at TE then why didn't he see any time there last year? Esp. with our awful TEs. Evan played in 12 games last year, and I struggle to remember how many times he was lined up as a TE, I can't recall 1 time to be honest. Was Lovie and his staff that inept that they didn't realize we have a Aaron Hernandez clone just wasting away while Kellen Davis and Matt Spaeth steal his reps at TE? Also why was Evan only playing FB during minicamp? You'd think if they had a game plan for him outside of FB then he'd get some reps there right?

If the rumors us being interested in Eifert and Ertz are to be believed coupled with the fact that Evan was only used at FB then I think they value a TE over a WR.

In an offense with 2 TEs and the backs being utilized a lot in the pass game I don't think we need a good #4, and I'd actually like to see what Joe Anderson can bring to the table as our #4 over Weems. He seems like the physical type of WR we like here.

Easy. Neither Tice nor Lovie knew/knows a damn thing about how to run a successful offense.

Why he is not being given reps at TE now, however, is beyond me.

I knew you would.

1. It all depends on how Trestman envisions the offense. With the rumors of them having an interest in Eifert and Ertz they may want Evan to play FB (like he did in mini camp) and utilize 2 big TEs....If them having interest in those 2 guys is only a mirage to try and get teams to trade up then that's fine with me too, go grab a WR then. I really do love the idea of having 2 big pass catching TEs with a ERod, who looked great there last year, as our FB who also gets utilized in the passing game.

2. He ran .03 seconds behind Eiferts 40, and actually ran the same 40 time as Martellus. If that kind of "slowness" scares you then you must not like the Bennett move either.

3. Williams can be much more than a 3-4 DT in my eyes. Doesn't have the speed? The guy ran a 4.86 40 @ 323 pounds. I see him as a Paea clone who has the potential to be better.

4. I knew we'd disagree on waiting that late to get a OL piece but I won't argue about it because I know there is no convincing you. I can see Fragel getting coached up for a year under Kromer and coming in next year and being the starting RT....If they don't bring Webb back....*Sits back and waits for jasons head to explode*

In general, I wasn't excited about the Bennett move. I think he's relatively unproven (only one good year), and I would rather have seen the Bears figure out what they have with Rodriguez, who gave every impression of being an Aaron Hernandez clone. If they decide he's good, the TE problem is solved and a FB can be signed whenever they feel like it. If not, then it's the same scenario and TE is targeted in the draft like you propose.

As for Williams, I live in Alabama, saw every game, and he may have some fooled with straight-line 40 speed, but he's not an explosive rusher or anything close. He's a NT.

It would take a Kafka-esque metamorphosis for me to believe in Webb like you do. I'm surprised you haven't already posted a photo of the two of you hugging. You love that dude more than his mother loves him.

I like Banks and Schwenke, I am ok with Gooden and Fragel. If Williams can play DT for a 4-3, then I would be ok there. Rodgers, eh, probably could get him as a UDFA. After going back and forth on TE, I think it is a mistake after investing so much money in Bennett. To me the top 2 areas to address are OL and LB, specifically MLB. Then CB, WR, and DT in no particular order.

I just threw Rodgers name out there for the hell of it, I think we should go best QB available with our last pick...No clue who that would be since I haven't really put any time in on looking at the QB prospects.

As far as the OL an TE position goes, I understand why people would disagree with me. I'm not 100% sold on Carimi/Brown either but their time at OG last year has shown me enough to think that under a guy like Kromer who is known to get the best out of his players that one of those 2 gentlemen will do a more than adequate job at taking the other OG spot opposite Slausson.....And we all know how I feel about Webb...Marshalls praise of Webb only solidifies my thoughts on him as our RT.

The LB position is something I'm kind of up in the air about. I really like DJ Williams and James Anderson and really hope they can stay on the field all year then both re-up on their contract and stick around for awhile.

WR is another area where I'm up in the air. I think if they Bears do plan on adding another F-type TE like Micheal Wright suggests they're really interested in doing then I think we can get by with having Joe Anderson, who I have some hope for, as our #4 WR. Virtually, with the 2 big TEs, our #4 won't get used a lot barring injuries.

In general, I wasn't excited about the Bennett move. I think he's relatively unproven (only one good year), and I would rather have seen the Bears figure out what they have with Rodriguez, who gave every impression of being an Aaron Hernandez clone. If they decide he's good, the TE problem is solved and a FB can be signed whenever they feel like it. If not, then it's the same scenario and TE is targeted in the draft like you propose.

As for Williams, I live in Alabama, saw every game, and he may have some fooled with straight-line 40 speed, but he's not an explosive rusher or anything close. He's a NT.

It would take a Kafka-esque metamorphosis for me to believe in Webb like you do. I'm surprised you haven't already posted a photo of the two of you hugging. You love that dude more than his mother loves him.

Isn't Paeas position listed as a NT?? Like I said he's a Paea clone to me.

Here's some info from Jesses scouting report..

In his first season with the Tide in 2011, Williams started all 13 games as a five-technique defensive end, posting 24 tackles, including four tackles for loss and half a sack. Due to his agility, Williams was moved inside to defensive tackle on passing downs.

He transitioned to nose guard in 2012, putting together a second-team All-SEC season. Williams anchored the No. 1 scoring defense in the nation playing the zero-technique position he took over during spring practice.

He has even seen some snaps on offense in goal-line situations as a lead fullback and with his rugby background, he hopes to get his hands on the ball. At 6-3, 320, he has the muscle and agile feet to line up in any defensive scheme.

I see beyond the Webb hate, I see a player who was put in a terrible position to succeed against speedy LBs (to which most of his sacks were given up against). After watching some Saints games I don't think he'll be in the same position.

To that I'd say...

Yes, Paea is a NT. He hasn't worked out well thus far. Williams is very similar. And I'm pretty sure you would agree that Alabama did pretty well in the past 4 years or so, meaning they appear to know what they are doing. There is a reason Williams moved inside from the 5-technique. He wasn't fast enough to be a 5-technique. He was suited very well for the 0 because it put him dead center and limited his need for mobility, to shoot gaps, or to crash the pocket.

Its not my first choice but I could grow into liking the TE thing you got going. As far as Evan playing TE, its Lovie? If first years, have you ever seen him make the right decision. As far as your draft I have been reading some negatives on Williams,If is listed by many scouts a high risk/high reward pick. There are safer picks at that spot in the draft to grab. Spence is a much more productive and athletic prospect. If you would like to make a gentlemans bet, I call Williams doesnt excel at the next level? you in?We can bet anything, Im sure of my opinion.

Its not my first choice but I could grow into liking the TE thing you got going. As far as Evan playing TE, its Lovie? If first years, have you ever seen him make the right decision. As far as your draft I have been reading some negatives on Williams,If is listed by many scouts a high risk/high reward pick. There are safer picks at that spot in the draft to grab. Spence is a much more productive and athletic prospect. If you would like to make a gentlemans bet, I call Williams doesnt excel at the next level? you in?We can bet anything, Im sure of my opinion.

They're 2 diff players, Spence is a 3 tech DT and Williams is a NT. Bets like this are pointless since we'll never remember.

They're 2 diff players, Spence is a 3 tech DT and Williams is a NT. Bets like this are pointless since we'll never remember.

Your right it will take two years to define the comparison. I guess the point I will make is Spence will be known as a better player between the two. They are both DTs and for example Paea was stated he could play either spot. So the distinction is a mute point if one is a rotation guy and the other is an pro bowl type. That is like distinguishing bewteen a #1 and#2 WR, there still both WRs.

Your right it will take two years to define the comparison. I guess the point I will make is Spence will be known as a better player between the two. They are both DTs and for example Paea was stated he could play either spot. So the distinction is a mute point if one is a rotation guy and the other is an pro bowl type. That is like distinguishing bewteen a #1 and#2 WR, there still both WRs.

I would take the bet but it's a pointless one. I believe there's a reason why Williams is ranked the 5th best DT and Spence is ranked 12th and one is projected as a late 1 early 2nd and the other is a 4th rounder.

I personally hate it

I knew a lot of people would...I'll stand by my word though. i think a draft like this would give us a better team to succeed this year rather than drafting a LB who won't even play this year barring injury. And its my personal opinion that Webb and one of Carimi/Brown can be just as good as anyone outside of Cooper/Warmack so I'm not gonna waste a pick on the OL either.

I don't think he's that slow, many DBs have trouble keeping up with him a times in these highlights.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OPC5Iy-NJo

USC game highlights (which I think gives better evaluation)

He's not Vernon Davis fast for sure but he reportedly ran anywhere from a 4.57 to 4.63 (his own words based on post interview and I've seen some other reports on those times) so we can call it a mid-4.6 which is adequate to threaten the deep middle of the field. He's a big man and he is not quick off the line and that's very obvious in the highlight videos, but he covers a lot of ground once he gets moving and he has some wiggle to him.

Having said that, I don't like Ertz at #20. He's a good player and will be a good player in the NFL but that might be his ceiling. He occasionally make a highlight catch but he's not capable what Tyler Eifert can do. As a blocker Ertz is ok but I didn't see anything that made me say he's a great blocker. In comparing highlights he's not that much better than Eifert is at blocking.

If we want a pass catching TE we should go with Eifert at 20 he will cause more matchup problems for defenses. In the Alabama game he looked like he belonged on the field, more than can be said for many of the Notre Dame players that day. Alabama often put Milliner on him and Milliner might be a top 15 pick. Eifert is a guy you can throw open as he makes great adjustments to the ball.

I see beyond the Webb hate, I see a player who was put in a terrible position to succeed against speedy LBs (to which most of his sacks were given up against). After watching some Saints games I don't think he'll be in the same position.

The NT position in our defense is a different type than the NT position that most are listed at. Quick,smaller, gap shooters compared to large people eaters in most mocks. As far as Webb goes , it isnt the WEBB HATE as much as it is the WEBB LOVE that you have. Other than you and his mother , the football community just doesnt view him as the player you do. We and the Bears saw a poor LT and he was moved, for some reason the Bears just dont agree with your overview of Webb. I think we all would like to have him succeed and now he gets his last chance at RT, we just have our doubts, not because of Webb hate, just tape. Your going to say ( your beyond that discussion) and then bring him up again in another post. We know how your feel, and I wish you would keep bringing it up.

I don't think he's that slow, many DBs have trouble keeping up with him a times in these highlights.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OPC5Iy-NJo

USC game highlights (which I think gives better evaluation)

He's not Vernon Davis fast for sure but he reportedly ran anywhere from a 4.57 to 4.63 (his own words based on post interview and I've seen some other reports on those times) so we can call it a mid-4.6 which is adequate to threaten the deep middle of the field. He's a big man and he is not quick off the line and that's very obvious in the highlight videos, but he covers a lot of ground once he gets moving and he has some wiggle to him.

Having said that, I don't like Ertz at #20. He's a good player and will be a good player in the NFL but that might be his ceiling. He occasionally make a highlight catch but he's not capable what Tyler Eifert can do. As a blocker Ertz is ok but I didn't see anything that made me say he's a great blocker. In comparing highlights he's not that much better than Eifert is at blocking.

If we want a pass catching TE we should go with Eifert at 20 he will cause more matchup problems for defenses. In the Alabama game he looked like he belonged on the field, more than can be said for many of the Notre Dame players that day. Alabama often put Milliner on him and Milliner might be a top 15 pick. Eifert is a guy you can throw open as he makes great adjustments to the ball.

My slowness comment was directed at Banks, not Ertz. I don't want TE in the first, but I think Ertz is like you said, fast enough. Banks is not fast, has poor mechanics, and will not be good in the NFL IMHO.

The NT position in our defense is a different type than the NT position that most are listed at. Quick,smaller, gap shooters compared to large people eaters in most mocks. As far as Webb goes , it isnt the WEBB HATE as much as it is the WEBB LOVE that you have. Other than you and his mother , the football community just doesnt view him as the player you do. We and the Bears saw a poor LT and he was moved, for some reason the Bears just dont agree with your overview of Webb. I think we all would like to have him succeed and now he gets his last chance at RT, we just have our doubts, not because of Webb hate, just tape. Your going to say ( your beyond that discussion) and then bring him up again in another post. We know how your feel, and I wish you would keep bringing it up.

I know they're playing a terrible team and he was virtually unblocked but look at how quick he gets to the QB.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-Hqbl-0HVM

Here he is vs good ranked opponents.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBbTLxLiicA

I see a guy who can eventually take Paeas job.

My slowness comment was directed at Banks, not Ertz. I don't want TE in the first, but I think Ertz is like you said, fast enough. Banks is not fast, has poor mechanics, and will not be good in the NFL IMHO.

Where are you getting your information on Banks, everything I read are positives on him. He ran a 4.61 at combine but improved that at proday 4.51. Other than putting on weight, he gets a lot of cudos and I see him becoming a good NFL player, especially in our scheme.