Bearstalk Draft Rd 1

AZ54

I'll need some help here setting up the poll once this thread is done to setup the final Rd 1 Poll. For now we need to decide on who is "on our board" at #20. We said we'd have a couple days to make sure everyone had a chance for input as some folks contribute to the board from work.

I'll step aside for a bit and let some of the draft experts list their thoughts. Adam put together some great prospect lists as the draft went along. We need to drill down to 5-7 prospects who would have been "at the top of our board". That seems pretty typical for what teams do in the draft process. Then we'll put up the poll and select our first round pick. If a couple prospects (or three) end up with say ~30% of the vote then we'll put them up side by side and select a clear winner.

The only thing I'll say is that at this point Manti Te'o is not on my list. Will Kyle Long even be on our board for the Rd 1 selection? I suspect no.

Who should be the prospects at the top of our board for our first pick?

I'd have Long on there, because at that point 7 OL taken. It was the Bears biggest need, and he offered something different. He has raw athletic ability, instead of settling for someone with more experience but a lot lower celiling, so my top 5 in no paticular order:

Long

Eiffert

The Vikings 3 picks... lol

To be quite honest if the Bears weren't high on Brown/Carimi then Long was the right pick. Kromers OL in Nola worked from the inside out and he's had Carl Nicks, Ben Grubbs, and Jahari Evans, 3 of the best OGs in the league, during his tenure with the Saints.....

But with that said Warford made it to 50, which you couldn't bank on btw, so in hindsight I would have taken Shariff Floyd. I think a Peppers-Melton-Floyd-Wooton/Moore/Washington/SMC would have been a dominate DL. He also would have given us insurance should Melton walk next year.

Mark me down with Floyd-Warford-Greene with the first 3 picks. 5th round is where it gets a little fuzzy and I'll have to think about it more.

Eifert would have been nice as well.

To be quite honest if the Bears weren't high on Brown/Carimi then Long was the right pick. Kromers OL in Nola worked from the inside out and he's had Carl Nicks, Ben Grubbs, and Jahari Evans, 3 of the best OGs in the league, during his tenure with the Saints.....

But with that said Warford made it to 50, which you couldn't bank on btw, so in hindsight I would have taken Shariff Floyd. I think a Peppers-Melton-Floyd-Wooton/Moore/Washington/SMC would have been a dominate DL. He also would have given us insurance should Melton walk next year.

Mark me down with Floyd-Warford-Greene with the first 3 picks. 5th round is where it gets a little fuzzy and I'll have to think about it more.

Eifert would have been nice as well.

Just list which players you want us to include in the first round draft pick poll.

Right now it seems we will have (and I'll add a couple from my original wish list): Sharrif Floyd (DT), Kyle Long (OG), Tyler Eifert (TE), Desmond Trufant (CB), Xavier Rhodes (CB), Alec Ogletree (LB), Cordarrelle Patterson (WR), Sylvester Williams (DT)

That's 8 players just based on who was chosen after us in Rd 1 excluding Travis Frederick (because nobody takes a C in Rd 1) and Matt Elam with FS not that high of a need for us. I'll assume, with the exception of Bowlingtwig, we're all in agreement not to include Te'o in the final poll. With Sharrif Floyd available there is likely little consideration for Williams IMO so he does not need to be in the poll.

I say we do this in two steps....setup a poll with the above 7 players (removing Syl Williams) and then whoever the top 3 are then we do a final vote among those 3 and the the winner the second poll is our official Bearstalk first round pick.

Just list which players you want us to include in the first round draft pick poll.

Right now it seems we will have (and I'll add a couple from my original wish list): Sharrif Floyd (DT), Kyle Long (OG), Tyler Eifert (TE), Desmond Trufant (CB), Xavier Rhodes (CB), Alec Ogletree (LB), Cordarrelle Patterson (WR), Sylvester Williams (DT)

That's 8 players just based on who was chosen after us in Rd 1 excluding Travis Frederick (because nobody takes a C in Rd 1) and Matt Elam with FS not that high of a need for us. I'll assume, with the exception of Bowlingtwig, we're all in agreement not to include Te'o in the final poll. With Sharrif Floyd available there is likely little consideration for Williams IMO so he does not need to be in the poll.

I say we do this in two steps....setup a poll with the above 7 players (removing Syl Williams) and then whoever the top 3 are then we do a final vote among those 3 and the the winner the second poll is our official Bearstalk first round pick.

Actually I like the list with S. Williams on it . Some experts had him rated better than Floyd.

Ha ha ha. Taking cheap shots. However even I didn't want te'o at 20. I even said that was a bit rich for me. My top 5 would be Long, Eifert, Floyd, Williams and ogletree in no particular order

Ha ha ha. Taking cheap shots. However even I didn't want te'o at 20. I even said that was a bit rich for me. My top 5 would be Long, Eifert, Floyd, Williams and ogletree in no particular order

Not a cheap shot at all I just remember you were the most vocal supporter for Te'o. But after the combine you did state you felt 20 was too early for him. I've never setup a poll but if I get time I'll play around with that later tonight.

Not a cheap shot at all I just remember you were the most vocal supporter for Te'o. But after the combine you did state you felt 20 was too early for him. I've never setup a poll but if I get time I'll play around with that later tonight.

Absolutely a huge supporter. I honestly thought for awhile before the draft that MN would take him with either 23 or 25. I think SD got themselves a nice player. Especially in the 2nd rd

Absolutely a huge supporter. I honestly thought for awhile before the draft that MN would take him with either 23 or 25. I think SD got themselves a nice player. Especially in the 2nd rd

I have given you a hard time about Teo but if we drafted him in the second I would have been all in on that. I still think you are a (closet Packer fan) and will one day expose that. Jason Collins came out yesterday.(just kidding) I am still interested in that FF league you told me about , let me know.

I have given you a hard time about Teo but if we drafted him in the second I would have been all in on that. I still think you are a (closet Packer fan) and will one day expose that. Jason Collins came out yesterday.(just kidding) I am still interested in that FF league you told me about , let me know.

Yeah not sure if that's gonna work out. My beat friend took new job where he basically lives on the rd like me Lol. I will see him in nxt week or 2 at poker so I'll let u know. As far as a packer fan goes. Let's just say I'm the only member of my family that is a bears fan. Rest of my family is packer fans including grand parents an aunt and cousin who live in green bay. I've actually had several arguments with aunt cuz of how personally she takes the team. If u say 1 bad thing its like you committed murder. Very tough to deal with her at times

The thing that stinks about this experiment this year is that the Bears finally did a pretty damn good job at drafting. They addressed positions of need without getting ridiculous, didn't draft some random DII developmental LB/DB/S, and got pretty good value for their picks. On top of that, they went with a theme that was very apparent: athleticism. There just doesn't appear to be very much flexibility for the Bears in this draft, considering the players available.

If we had to do it over, however, I think the general idea is that Long isn't selected in the first. That means the Bears absolutely have to go OG elsewhere. And the only round that makes any sense is RD2, where Warford would have been available. The fourth round pick has no trailing OGs at all. So that pretty much makes any modified mock draft set up as:

1. ???

2. Warford

From there we have to establish any other player in the other rounds to maximize BPA+Need. If people want the 1st rounder to be Sharrif Floyd (that seems to be majority, and I dismiss Eifert as the Bears first round pick because it would have been stupid), then that means Khaseem Green is almost certainly the 4th rounder (LB major need and BPA considered).

1. Floyd, DT, UF

2. Warford, OG, UK

4. Green, LB, RUT

So who is available after Jordan Mills in the 5th? Maybe Ricky Wagner? Maybe Ryan Swope? David Quisenberry? Seems like this board was in favor of Swope for the most part.

1. Floyd, DT, UF

2. Warford, OG, UK

4. Green, LB, RUT

5. Swope, WR, A&M

Still a need at LB and OT. Some have called for a S. A backup QB has been talked about. A CB before Peanut retires? Maybe even that second TE that excites people. Pickings are slim. Bacarri Rambo (S, UGA)? Ryan Griffin (TE, UCONN)? Cornelius Washington might just be the BPA at that point, and he obviously fills a need.

1. Floyd, DT, UF

2. Warford, OG, UK

4. Green, LB, RUT

5. Swope, WR, A&M

6. Washington, LB, UGA

The 7th round at that point is a no-brainer. Since Marquess Wilson probably won't see the field as it is now (too similar to Marshall and Jeffery), it would make sense to go with the BPA for this round, who also happens to fit a Bears need.

1. Floyd, DT, UF

2. Warford, OG, UK

4. Green, LB, RUT

5. Swope, WR, A&M

6. Washington, LB, UGA

7. Fragel, OT, OSU

In my mind that's the best possible alternative draft, but I think what the Bears actually did is one of the best drafts we've seen in recent memory.

The thing that stinks about this experiment this year is that the Bears finally did a pretty damn good job at drafting. They addressed positions of need without getting ridiculous, didn't draft some random DII developmental LB/DB/S, and got pretty good value for their picks. On top of that, they went with a theme that was very apparent: athleticism. There just doesn't appear to be very much flexibility for the Bears in this draft, considering the players available.

If we had to do it over, however, I think the general idea is that Long isn't selected in the first. That means the Bears absolutely have to go OG elsewhere. And the only round that makes any sense is RD2, where Warford would have been available. The fourth round pick has no trailing OGs at all. So that pretty much makes any modified mock draft set up as:

1. ???

2. Warford

From there we have to establish any other player in the other rounds to maximize BPA+Need. If people want the 1st rounder to be Sharrif Floyd (that seems to be majority, and I dismiss Eifert as the Bears first round pick because it would have been stupid), then that means Khaseem Green is almost certainly the 4th rounder (LB major need and BPA considered).

1. Floyd, DT, UF

2. Warford, OG, UK

4. Green, LB, RUT

So who is available after Jordan Mills in the 5th? Maybe Ricky Wagner? Maybe Ryan Swope? David Quisenberry? Seems like this board was in favor of Swope for the most part.

1. Floyd, DT, UF

2. Warford, OG, UK

4. Green, LB, RUT

5. Swope, WR, A&M

Still a need at LB and OT. Some have called for a S. A backup QB has been talked about. A CB before Peanut retires? Maybe even that second TE that excites people. Pickings are slim. Bacarri Rambo (S, UGA)? Ryan Griffin (TE, UCONN)? Cornelius Washington might just be the BPA at that point, and he obviously fills a need.

1. Floyd, DT, UF

2. Warford, OG, UK

4. Green, LB, RUT

5. Swope, WR, A&M

6. Washington, LB, UGA

The 7th round at that point is a no-brainer. Since Marquess Wilson probably won't see the field as it is now (too similar to Marshall and Jeffery), it would make sense to go with the BPA for this round, who also happens to fit a Bears need.

1. Floyd, DT, UF

2. Warford, OG, UK

4. Green, LB, RUT

5. Swope, WR, A&M

6. Washington, LB, UGA

7. Fragel, OT, OSU

In my mind that's the best possible alternative draft, but I think what the Bears actually did is one of the best drafts we've seen in recent memory.

Yeah I agree. Hard to argue for the most part. Some friends of mine would have rather replaced bostic with brown. But other than that. I think most are on board with Emery. Anyone catch that he didn't draft a safety. What's it been 10 straight yrs prior lol

1. ???

2. Warford

1. Floyd, DT, UF

2. Warford, OG, UK

4. Green, LB, RUT

1. Floyd, DT, UF

2. Warford, OG, UK

4. Green, LB, RUT

5. Swope, WR, A&M

1. Floyd, DT, UF

2. Warford, OG, UK

4. Green, LB, RUT

5. Swope, WR, A&M

6. Washington, LB, UGA

1. Floyd, DT, UF

2. Warford, OG, UK

4. Green, LB, RUT

5. Swope, WR, A&M

6. Washington, LB, UGA

7. Fragel, OT, OSU

Can't really argue with any of that other than your assessment on Wilson not seeing time because he's too similar to Marshall and Jeffery...I really don't see the problem at all in that. With the UDFA signings of Harrison and Rucker as well as Wilson, all WRs with good size, I don't think the Bears see a problem with that either.

Now if you said they were all to similar to say Devin Hester, or a Dane Sanzenbacher, then we might have a problem. But I really see no problem in having 3 or even 4 guys if Harrison makes the team that are drawing comps to Marrshall and Jeffery.

Can't really argue with any of that other than your assessment on Wilson not seeing time because he's too similar to Marshall and Jeffery...I really don't see the problem at all in that. With the UDFA signings of Harrison and Rucker as well as Wilson, all WRs with good size, I don't think the Bears see a problem with that either.

Now if you said they were all to similar to say Devin Hester, or a Dane Sanzenbacher, then we might have a problem. But I really see no problem in having 3 or even 4 guys if Harrison makes the team that are drawing comps to Marrshall and Jeffery.

I just meant that he's unlikely to see time because he does what two other better receivers do. It's not like they're going to call his number very often when two better options are present. I don't think it was necessarily a bad pick, particularly for the round and value, but he's kind of stuck behind two superior players. He needs a niche, and his talents, unfortunately for him, do not find that niche on a team that already has Marshall and Jeffery.

I just meant that he's unlikely to see time because he does what two other better receivers do. It's not like they're going to call his number very often when two better options are present. I don't think it was necessarily a bad pick, particularly for the round and value, but he's kind of stuck behind two superior players. He needs a niche, and his talents, unfortunately for him, do not find that niche on a team that already has Marshall and Jeffery.

I don't see why he can't be utilized in the slot. Slot Wrs don't have to be small burners. Case and point is TEs often being utilized in the slot in todays NFL.

I don't see why he can't be utilized in the slot. Slot Wrs don't have to be small burners. Case and point is TEs often being utilized in the slot in todays NFL.

I agree. I think of him being that 4th guy to begin working out of slot and moving up to 3 if he keeps his head in check.

1. ???

2. Warford

1. Floyd, DT, UF

2. Warford, OG, UK

4. Green, LB, RUT

1. Floyd, DT, UF

2. Warford, OG, UK

4. Green, LB, RUT

5. Swope, WR, A&M

1. Floyd, DT, UF

2. Warford, OG, UK

4. Green, LB, RUT

5. Swope, WR, A&M

6. Washington, LB, UGA

1. Floyd, DT, UF

2. Warford, OG, UK

4. Green, LB, RUT

5. Swope, WR, A&M

6. Washington, LB, UGA

7. Fragel, OT, OSU

I would gladly jump on that lineup, the only think I might question was Swope has had 4 concussions and that is why he was available in the 5th. In the 5th, why not.

This thread is getting off point, so just put the list out there and lets put it up for vote.