Back Up QB Options

lemonej

I'm still not comfortable with McGown at a hit away from being the starter. Im looking at the Jets collection of qbs and got my eye on Mc Elroy. On the street after Trent Edwards there isn't much. Thoughts anyone?

With the QBs that were drafted, there will be some released, I suspect not much quality though.

With the QBs that were drafted, there will be some released, I suspect not much quality though.

The GM came right out today and said he was planning on all 5 staying and they were gonna have an open competition.

EDIT: Thought you meant just the Jets. Yeah, I doubt anything too good will be let go. The solid ones were already dropped and signed elsewhere.

The GM came right out today and said he was planning on all 5 staying and they were gonna have an open competition.

EDIT: Thought you meant just the Jets. Yeah, I doubt anything too good will be let go. The solid ones were already dropped and signed elsewhere.

Sorry I took so long to respond. The Jets GM is a moron if he thinks there is enough reps to support 5 QBs and evaluate all of them properly. This job will go to Smith, Sanchez or Garrard anyone else getting reps is a waste of time.

Sorry I took so long to respond. The Jets GM is a moron if he thinks there is enough reps to support 5 QBs and evaluate all of them properly. This job will go to Smith, Sanchez or Garrard anyone else getting reps is a waste of time.

I dont think any team carries more than 3 QBs during the regular season unless its on the practice squad. So someone will be released just wont be good choices,but something will pop up.

I dont think any team carries more than 3 QBs during the regular season unless its on the practice squad. So someone will be released just wont be good choices,but something will pop up.

My eyes are on McElroy.

Garrard isn't the youngster we can groom but if he gets released he's the guy I have my eyes on.

Wasn't his biggest problem always supposed to be a very long, slow throwing motion? I'm not sure he's the kind of guy the Bears would want to target given their issues the last couple years and the system being put in place now.

Wasn't his biggest problem always supposed to be a very long, slow throwing motion? I'm not sure he's the kind of guy the Bears would want to target given their issues the last couple years and the system being put in place now.

I honestly don't remember, all I remember was him being pretty productive on some awful Jaguar teams. Looking at his stats now he put up the 60% completion % everyone wants.

Without wasting too much time here's the only scouting report I've found from back in the day

Positives: Has thick muscle development…Shows good zip getting rid of the ball…Has the upper body strength to put power behind his long ball…Throws with touch and makes proper reads and field decisions…Won't get rattled under pressure and will throw the ball away rather than force it into traffic…Has a good feel for pressure, moving around fluidly in the short area…Lets the play develop, standing tall in the pocket until he can hit his targets…Locates his secondary targets with ease…Has the strength to throw off balance.

Negatives: Has had weight problems, getting up to 260 pounds at one point…Not as nimble as one would like in a passer, as he appears to labor when flushed out of the pocket…Not a vocal field leader, but does command respect…More effective in the short area game, as his passes tend to sail high and off target when attempting to go long…His release is quick, but he holds the ball too low and tends to revert to a sidearm delivery… Fails to set his feet when there's time and shows limited escapability…Lack of long ball accuracy could be attributed to poor foot mechanics.