Jon Bostic

jason

Changing the vibe around here, since there is nothing to talk about post-draft, I'd like to discuss what appears to be bad form by our new LB, Jon Bostic.

I've heard guys from the NFL to DII officiating say they are trying to take the helmet/head out of hitting, and Bostic needs to make an adjustment. What's more, I watched his

and there are several more high hits with bad form. He dips his head to hit, rarely sees his target, and doesn't wrap up.

Unless he changes his technique, you can guarantee this guy is going to get penalties for the Bears.

Illegal or not, that reminded me a lot of Wilbur back in the day...

I like the nasty. Coaches will get him to tone it down.

Changing the vibe around here, since there is nothing to talk about post-draft, I'd like to discuss what appears to be bad form by our new LB, Jon Bostic.

I've heard guys from the NFL to DII officiating say they are trying to take the helmet/head out of hitting, and Bostic needs to make an adjustment. What's more, I watched his

and there are several more high hits with bad form. He dips his head to hit, rarely sees his target, and doesn't wrap up.

Unless he changes his technique, you can guarantee this guy is going to get penalties for the Bears.

when I first saw that clip I don't think what I saw included the second angle. From the first angle at full speed it looks like helmet to helmet but the second angle clearly shows he lead with the shoulder. IMO now having seen that I believe it was a clean hit. I think if the QB's helmet doesn't come off maybe there's no flag. This is why I think some penalties should be challengeable. Should not have been a flag on that play but so so often now if even looks like it could be helmet to helmet they will flag it.

You either have the instincts and desire to hit people like that or you don't. It's not something you coach IMO. I prefer having a guy who can and will hit like that and then having to coach him to be a little more cautious than the player who won't tackle like that head on. That's what it takes to prevent the first down on 3rd/4th and short, or TD at the goal line.

Show that clip to Aaron Rodgers, Colin Kaepernick, Russell Wilson etc. and they will remember to look around when they try to run, that means take their eyes off the receivers, especially with that kind of closing speed. In the Seattle game it was clear Wilson wasn't worried about Urlacher catching him.

It's bullshit he was even flagged for that hit. THIS IS FOOTBALL!

I agree with the concept your are pointing to, but as long as football players are suing about head injuries, and as long as concussions are happening at an alarming rate across the country, the leaders of football will make every attempt to ban through harsh penalty the use of helmet-to-helmet contact. For instance, this year in college there is a massive change: Hit someone H2H and the player in the 1st half, and the player is ejected the rest of the game. Hit someone H2H in the second half and not only is the player ejected for the remainder of the game, but the entire first half of the next game as well.

Football is getting less and less manly ever year....Its why I play rugby

Please. Don't even bring that rugby vs football shit in here.

http://www.diffen.com/difference/American_Football_vs_Rugby

NFL: 4600lbs of force

Rugby: 1600lbs. of force

They are fundamentally different games, but the sheer physics of two football players slamming into one another as often as they do and in the manner they do far outweighs the contact on a rugby field. It's not just the size, speed, and athleticism either; it's the rules and design of the game. In general, NFL players embrace the hit because if specific yards aren't gained they risk losing possession. In general, rugby players defer from the hit so as position the ball towards his own teammate, because the same type of yardage vs. repercussion don't exist.

when I first saw that clip I don't think what I saw included the second angle. From the first angle at full speed it looks like helmet to helmet but the second angle clearly shows he lead with the shoulder. IMO now having seen that I believe it was a clean hit. I think if the QB's helmet doesn't come off maybe there's no flag. This is why I think some penalties should be challengeable. Should not have been a flag on that play but so so often now if even looks like it could be helmet to helmet they will flag it.

You must have seen a different video than me. It's pretty easy to pause the video and see where the crown of Bostic's helmet is in contact with the facemask of Bridgewater's helmet. He does that for the Bears and he's getting a penalty 90% of the time. And 100% of the time if it's against Rodgers.

They are fundamentally different games, but the sheer physics of two football players slamming into one another as often as they do and in the manner they do far outweighs the contact on a rugby field. It's not just the size, speed, and athleticism either; it's the rules and design of the game. In general, NFL players embrace the hit because if specific yards aren't gained they risk losing possession. In general, rugby players defer from the hit so as position the ball towards his own teammate, because the same type of yardage vs. repercussion don't exist.

Have you ever watched a second of rugby in your life? Sure the ball carrier defers the hit to try to get twisted back around but that doesn't mean the tackler is gonna allow it. Pads vs no pads, constant contact, no mamsy pansy rules.

We've had ex football players come out to play for us or play on the other team and they agree that the physicality of the 2 sports is much different.

I'm not gonna argue it past this point because until you step onto the pitch you will have no idea. Google can only tell you so much.

Have you ever watched a second of rugby in your life? Sure the ball carrier defers the hit to try to get twisted back around but that doesn't mean the tackler is gonna allow it. Pads vs no pads, constant contact, no mamsy pansy rules.

We've had ex football players come out to play for us or play on the other team and they agree that the physicality of the 2 sports is much different.

I'm not gonna argue it past this point because until you step onto the pitch you will have no idea. Google can only tell you so much.

I've watched plenty. I've played some. It's not the same. I've been to New Zealand where they take it VERY seriously. As a rugby fan I imagine you know this.

The sports aren't the same. The physics aren't the same. The rules aren't the same. If the rugby players tried to make/take hits like the NFL, and as often as the NFL, those guys would be crippled fairly regularly on the pitch. The physics of it is the key. Way more force in football hits than rugby because of the basic structure of the game (mainly the rules in rugby). Sure, there are some big hits, but it's just not the same as the NFL. People freaking DIED playing football back in the day, and it became nasty enough the game was almost abolished. The whole "manliness" thing is not feasible because the athletes are ridiculously faster, stronger, and bigger now. There would probably be a death every Sunday if the NFL players didn't wear pads. I know you're young, but you should educate yourself on the topic.

Or just read this article about a guy who could have gone to the NFL but played rugby instead.

Cardio? Sure. Rugby all day.

Manliness? Way off base.

A friend who played both made a good analogy to me...

Rugby is to football what wrestling is to boxing. Both require tremendous strength. However, one requires you to have amazing endurance and the other, ability to dish out & withstand tremendous hits.

Well ya I can agree that the the bigger, stronger, faster athletes are in the NFL, which would result in bigger harder hits. The overall physicality of the 2 sports are 2 different things though. I've played both on a semi pro level and I can tell you that I've gone home with more aches and pains playing rugby than I ever have playing football.

Alesana Tuilagi is my favorite rugby player and here's a video of him.

Tell me, would you rather be Teddy Bridgewater in the OP or the poor guy taking a hit around the 2:20 mark? Or the 3:39 mark?

Well ya I can agree that the the bigger, stronger, faster athletes are in the NFL, which would result in bigger harder hits. The overall physicality of the 2 sports are 2 different things though. I've played both on a semi pro level and I can tell you that I've gone home with more aches and pains playing rugby than I ever have playing football.

Alesana Tuilagi is my favorite rugby player and here's a video of him.

Tell me, would you rather take be Teddy Bridgewater in the OP or the poor guy taking a hit around the 2:20 mark?

I'd rather be Bridgewater for that one specific hit. But that hit by Tuilagi is probably the hardest hit that guy will ever take. Bridgewater will take many more hits just like the one in the Bostic video. Further, the frequency of head on hits (i.e. when both players are running towards each other and do not slow down) is very uncommon in rugby. In football it's a teaching point.

I'm not saying the rugby guys don't take hard hits, just that the type and frequency are lessened. Hell, the most dangerous thing in rugby is the scrum, not the big hit.

Gotta agree here. I played football from 4th grade through high school. Was even offered scholarships to play at the collegiate level, but neck injuries ruined that. During my freshman year I was invited to play on the Rugby team. I lasted two days! Rugby is gruelling to say the least, but that's the end of the comparison. In football you simply run the risk of getting into the equivilent of a car wreck on every play. You get bruises and bump in Rugby, in the NFL you get concussions and debilitating injuries.

Rugby video, WTF:

Not gonna lie, that's actually pretty hilarious....Lol it doesn't help my argument to bring it up but there's a team in my league that every member is gay. There's actually a movie about them that was/is on netflix called Go Dragons Go....They're horrible (In my first 2 years we won 3 games, 2 of those were against the Dragons), but they're some tough sobs I'll give them that.

You get bruises and bump in Rugby, in the NFL you get concussions and debilitating injuries.

Uh, this is my forth year in rugby, I've been knocked out once and have seen, that I remember, 2 serious leg injuries and a shoulder injury. Multiple minor injuries that have forced players out of games....It's physical, and while these guys don't hit as hard as these freaks in the NFL, we don't have pads, the hits still hurt and can hurt you.

Look at some of these shots.

I'd much rather take a hit from Jon Bostic or Aldon Smith in full pads than anyone of these hits.

Not gonna lie, that's actually pretty hilarious....Lol it doesn't help my argument to bring it up but there's a team in my league that every member is gay. There's actually a movie about them that was/is on netflix called Go Dragons Go....They're horrible (In my first 2 years we won 3 games, 2 of those were against the Dragons), but they're some tough sobs I'll give them that.

Uh, this is my forth year in rugby, I've been knocked out once and have seen, that I remember, 2 serious leg injuries and a shoulder injury. Multiple minor injuries that have forced players out of games....It's physical, and while these guys don't hit as hard as these freaks in the NFL, we don't have pads, the hits still hurt and can hurt you.

Look at some of these shots.

I'd much rather take a hit from Jon Bostic or Aldon Smith in full pads than anyone of these hits.

Like all rugby fanatics, and likely Teddy Bridgewater directly after that Bostic hit, you are just not seeing clearly. You continue to ignore what others post and reply with rugby highlight videos. The two are not the same. The biggest hits in the NFL are bigger than the biggest hits in rugby, and they are certainly more frequent.

Like all rugby fanatics, and likely Teddy Bridgewater directly after that Bostic hit, you are just not seeing clearly. You continue to ignore what others post and reply with rugby highlight videos. The two are not the same. The biggest hits in the NFL are bigger than the biggest hits in rugby, and they are certainly more frequent.

Agreed Jason and thats why there is no litigation involving former rugby players against their league. No slight on Rugby and I believe soccer can be a little physical too. NFL football is one of the more violent sports in the world and Hockey is right there with it.

Agreed Jason and thats why there is no litigation involving former rugby players against their league. No slight on Rugby and I believe soccer can be a little physical too. NFL football is one of the more violent sports in the world and Hockey is right there with it.

the NFL is more violent because of the speed, its a no brainier.