The Top Offseason Acquisition

lemonej

Looking at what has been done after the season my top acquisition has been narrowed down to 2 Bushrod and Kasheem(sp?) Greene. I think both are solid players and will make an impact next year and probably take over for Briggs when he is a cap casualty next year.

Looking at what has been done after the season my top acquisition has been narrowed down to 2 Bushrod and Kasheem(sp?) Greene. I think both are solid players and will make an impact next year and probably take over for Briggs when he is a cap casualty next year.

I think M. Bennett has a huge impact on this team. I see him being second on the team in catches, not counting Forte. I think Forte has a huge year.

I think M. Bennett has a huge impact on this team. I see him being second on the team in catches, not counting Forte. I think Forte has a huge year.

These two are not offseason acquisitions and for what its worth I believe Bennett is trade bait or a cut candidate.

There are a bunch actually, I can see a group of guys fitting in this category, but I had to narrow it down, Bushrod, Bennett, and Long all seem to be the ones with the biggest potential because who they are replacing.

I too think the Bennett acquisition will be huge. Last year going into NY his weight was an issue, coming in at something like 280 pounds. This year from what I can tell from following him on twitter he's been putting in a lot of work so we won't see the same issue here. I expect him to put up bigger numbers than the 55/626 he put up in NY..

I know the intent of this is likely players but I believe the biggest offseason acquisition is Aaron Kromer. If we had to look around the league and could only get one guy who could fix our oline who would we have chosen?

From a player perspective it is Martellus Bennett. He can block that's a given. Can he run routes and catch? He's had one good year doing so and I believe that continues. We finally have a TE that can do both and this finally gives our offense true play calling flexibility without having to change personnel. It's been a long time since we've had that.

Probably best to break it down by category...

FA Signing - M. Bennett TE (a true TE pro...one can only imagine the possibilities with Cutty & Trestman)

Draft Pick - Long (OL is what we need the most help with...he should contribute solidly)

Staff Addition- Trestman (you have to start with the top...Kromer would be a close second)

FA Signing - M. Bennett TE (a true TE pro...one can only imagine the possibilities with Cutty & Trestman) - I think Cutler will in fact define how good Bennett is next year.

Draft Pick - Long (OL is what we need the most help with...he should contribute solidly) - totally agree due to his long term possibilities - Guard now with transistion to Tackle.

Staff Addition- Trestman (you have to start with the top...Kromer would be a close second) - meh. Still up in the air on Trestman.

I'll sorta second this with notes above.

Honorable mentions:

Bostic will probably end up being the most prized possesion from the draft. I feel a lot of potential for this kid. If true it will show that Emery has a great knack for 2nd round picks, Jeffery being his one from last year.

James Anderson. Something about him makes me think he's got a lot to prove. Reminds me a lot of Roach but even better, we shall see.

Tim Tebow....sorry I couldn't resist. :rolleyes:

If it isn't Bushrod then this offseason was a failure regardless of how good Bennett is.

I agree. And for those naming Trestman, he hasn't proven anything to me yet. Hard to say he's the best anything until I see his team play a few games. As of right now he's got exactly ZERO wins as a coach.

I agree. And for those naming Trestman, he hasn't proven anything to me yet. Hard to say he's the best anything until I see his team play a few games. As of right now he's got exactly ZERO wins as a coach.

And he has zero losses as well....let's wait and see.

There's not another acquisition that has did anything on the Bears yet. I like them all but let's face it, Bushrod was questionable on his talent or his scheme. Kromer is just here as an OL coach but how much was Brees and the system. Bennett had on good year. The Lb's sign were signed for small deals for a reason even tho they have potential.

There is no aquisition that can be called good till the season starts. The best ones are just predictions. The ineptitude when it came to offense for years and the direction they have went this offseason make me high on him and my top aquisition. Everyone else I have high hopes for, but it will be the end of the season before we can tell. A game hasn't happened that Trestman has won as a head coach, but his influence on bringing in people for the line has won a game or 2 that hasn't happened yet in my opinion, if not more.

Everyone outstanding responses and I didn't consider coaching staff whenn I posted this so those of you who added that to the mix thanks.This is a fantasy type of post so anything goes so let everyone have their say without bashing. This is a whole new staff and a lot of these players have not played in Bear jerseys so its all speculative. If we change things to reflect the players from last season still with the team to breakout,step up or have an impact I got a few candidates.

Alshon Jeffrey as the president of his fan club this is an obvious choice for me. His health will be key.

Shea McClellin last years number one pick needs to show up and show out.

Matt Forte 2 years now he has not played every game and is a big cap number he needs to play 16 games and prove that he deserved the big contract.

There's not another acquisition that has did anything on the Bears yet. I like them all but let's face it, Bushrod was questionable on his talent or his scheme. Kromer is just here as an OL coach but how much was Brees and the system. Bennett had on good year. The Lb's sign were signed for small deals for a reason even tho they have potential.

There is no aquisition that can be called good till the season starts. The best ones are just predictions. The ineptitude when it came to offense for years and the direction they have went this offseason make me high on him and my top aquisition. Everyone else I have high hopes for, but it will be the end of the season before we can tell. A game hasn't happened that Trestman has won as a head coach, but his influence on bringing in people for the line has won a game or 2 that hasn't happened yet in my opinion, if not more.

The point of the post was as a prediction,we all know it doesn't mean anything.

FA Signing - M. Bennett TE (a true TE pro...one can only imagine the possibilities with Cutty & Trestman)

Draft Pick - Long (OL is what we need the most help with...he should contribute solidly)

Staff Addition- Trestman (you have to start with the top...Kromer would be a close second)

I'm with mad on this. I would say for FA Bushrod would have to a fairly close second.

Draft I was not pleased with the Long pick at the moment I wanted one of the other guys still on the board but having had time to think about it if Long turns out to be an anchor for the line for years to come this pick will have been a win. Reach or not. I also like the LB's we got and the other OT we got later. When you remove the rounds, and pick numbers and look at the players we drafted this class should make the Bears better and that should be the goal of every draft.

Staff I'm looking forward to seeing what the Trestman lead Bears will look like I like the staff he's put together and Kromer is a great addition, This guy is the real deal Tice was considered a line guru but failed to get results.

At this point much is speculation, but I am excited about the Bears looking forward hoping we take a major step forward this season. And hey at this point Trestman is undefeated as Bears head coach LOL

Exactly!

We can all only make a call what we think will happen.

At the moment, I'm liking a lot of it!

At this point much is speculation, but I am excited about the Bears looking forward hoping we take a major step forward this season. And hey at this point Trestman is undefeated as Bears head coach LOL

I think Jeffrey will be the most improved. He showed big signs of that.

Shea, I'm a bit more worried about. He does need to pick it up. I hope he does!

Forte should be good to go under a better offense gameplan.

Everyone outstanding responses and I didn't consider coaching staff whenn I posted this so those of you who added that to the mix thanks.This is a fantasy type of post so anything goes so let everyone have their say without bashing. This is a whole new staff and a lot of these players have not played in Bear jerseys so its all speculative. If we change things to reflect the players from last season still with the team to breakout,step up or have an impact I got a few candidates.

Alshon Jeffrey as the president of his fan club this is an obvious choice for me. His health will be key.

Shea McClellin last years number one pick needs to show up and show out.

Matt Forte 2 years now he has not played every game and is a big cap number he needs to play 16 games and prove that he deserved the big contract.