Urlacher announces retirement

bowlingtwig

His statement:

After spending a lot of time this spring thinking about my NFL future, I have made a decision to retire. Although I could continue playing, I'm not sure I would bring a level of performance or passion that's up to my standards. When considering this along with the fact I could retire after a 13-year career wearing only one jersey for such a storied franchise, my decision became pretty clear. I want to thank all of the people in my life that have helped me along the way," Urlacher said. "I will miss my teammates, my coaches, and the great Bears fans. I'm proud to say that I gave all of you everything I had every time I took the field. I will miss this great game, but I leave it with no regret.

LB Coach or Quality Control? Would be sort of a logical move like Kevin Greene. His experience in the system would really benefit the new players. My only issue would be underlying resentment towards the front office.

I am glad to see he went out on top and not bashing the team. He has earned back a lot of respect taking the high road. Additionally, I am glad this saga is over (for now). I just couldn't picture him in another team's jersey.

Not even close.

Depressing would have been him joining the Packers...

He tested the waters...he didn't go out and embarass himself and play horribly elsewhere.

All I can say is that Brian was, and forever will be, a Bear!

Thank you so much Brian! We'll see you in the Hall of Fame!

:notworthy :dabears

Depressing end to a storied career.

Was anyone else a little angry when you heard this? I mean, here's a guy who was offered a contract admittedly lower than he was accustomed to by this team he calims he was proud to be a part of because of concerns that team had about his deteriorating skills and his passion to return to that level. After negotiations broke off, he immediately started saying to anyone who would listen that he considered himself to be the same player, characterized their offer as "a slap in the face" and "insulting" and talking about how the Bears never really wanted him back, resulting in a whole news cycle of how the Bears were not showing Urlacher enough respect, typical cheap Bears, the new regime in Chicago isn't showing the proper deference to the past, etc.

Now Urlacher retires, validating all the concerns the Bears had and proving that the Bears' "low-ball offer) was actually $3.5 million more than any other team was will to pay him. But this doesn't give the Bears any of that lost prestige. Honestly, I want to hear him apologize to the Bears for bad-mouthing them this off-season. Because the Bears actually played this exactly right, and that deserves to be recognized.

Was anyone else a little angry when you heard this? I mean, here's a guy who was offered a contract admittedly lower than he was accustomed to by this team he calims he was proud to be a part of because of concerns that team had about his deteriorating skills and his passion to return to that level. After negotiations broke off, he immediately started saying to anyone who would listen that he considered himself to be the same player, characterized their offer as "a slap in the face" and "insulting" and talking about how the Bears never really wanted him back, resulting in a whole news cycle of how the Bears were not showing Urlacher enough respect, typical cheap Bears, the new regime in Chicago isn't showing the proper deference to the past, etc.

Now Urlacher retires, validating all the concerns the Bears had and proving that the Bears' "low-ball offer) was actually $3.5 million more than any other team was will to pay him. But this doesn't give the Bears any of that lost prestige. Honestly, I want to hear him apologize to the Bears for bad-mouthing them this off-season. Because the Bears actually played this exactly right, and that deserves to be recognized.

I'm not pissed but found it awful weird that after 13 great yrs and during that time he avoided and hated talking to media and then after talks broke off he started talking to all kinds of media folks

Not in the least...

Emotions run high...and in this day of instant news, it's just a little TMI in all honesty.

If this were 10 years ago, all we would have known is that Url retired and praised the team and fans. And when all the dust settles, that's how it'll be remembered.

But you are correct...the team played it right. But they don't care if they got grief, they have SuperBowls to win!

I get what you are saying. I was pissed when it was all going down, but not anymore. I would be a dick over a couple million bucks too. He simply misplayed his hand leading to all of this.

I get what you are saying. I was pissed when it was all going down, but not anymore. I would be a dick over a couple million bucks too. He simply misplayed his hand leading to all of this.

He retired the day he didnt accept the Bears offer,it is just official now.

Bingo!

seconded (or thirded maybe?). And while "slap in the face" was an unnecessary comment to go publilc with, I do think the current regime didn't ever really want him, just like Brian suggested. Trestman doesn't see Urlacher as part of his long term plan, but he did see Url as a link to the past regime and a lockerroom leader with the potential to undermine any new directions Trestman may try to take the team in. I've seen it happen to other vets before. The new head coach doesn't give two flying flips about the last 10 years, and isn't even that particularly concerned about the "honeymoon" period...only the future. It's the business part of sports.

He had a pretty good interview with Mike and Mike this morning. They asked him which O-Lineman gave him the most trouble, and he said all of them, lol. If he could pick one thing to be remembered as, it would be a great teammate. He has no plans on coaching, he enjoys not having a schedule too much, and he really missed working out with the guys. He also said he believes he would still be playing and on the team if Lovie was the HC. He also said the toughest player he ever played with was Cutler, which was cool to hear.

seconded (or thirded maybe?). And while "slap in the face" was an unnecessary comment to go publilc with, I do think the current regime didn't ever really want him, just like Brian suggested. Trestman doesn't see Urlacher as part of his long term plan, but he did see Url as a link to the past regime and a lockerroom leader with the potential to undermine any new directions Trestman may try to take the team in. I've seen it happen to other vets before. The new head coach doesn't give two flying flips about the last 10 years, and isn't even that particularly concerned about the "honeymoon" period...only the future. It's the business part of sports.
If your statement is true then Emery and Trestman are freakin genius's. To believe they offered him more money than anyone else, knowing all along it would lead to his retirement. Pure genius!

Nice.

Was that a potential passing of the baton from Url to Jay?

He had a pretty good interview with Mike and Mike this morning. They asked him which O-Lineman gave him the most trouble, and he said all of them, lol. If he could pick one thing to be remembered as, it would be a great teammate. He has no plans on coaching, he enjoys not having a schedule too much, and he really missed working out with the guys. He also said he believes he would still be playing and on the team if Lovie was the HC. He also said the toughest player he ever played with was Cutler, which was cool to hear.

Nice.

Was that a potential passing of the baton from Url to Jay?

I am not a great admirer of Urlacher the person but do admit he was a great linebacker when he was at his best.

That being said, I never felt he was a good ambassador for the city like Butkus and Singletary were....

And I heard a radio interview given on NFL Access where he claimed that he did not like the way the team handled his negotiation, feeling like they gave him a "take it or leave it" type option and also mentioned the issue of wanting to play if Lovie was still around, which I think speaks volumes about Lovie and feel it would have been likely under the old regime that they would have kept him as he is, overpaid him, and wasted the cap space in essence. Good riddance to Lovie.

Basically I would have thought that he would have been a bit more humble now that he knows that no one else was willing to pay him at all and the Bears were actually being generous...but never mind, that is consistent with his overall ignorance.

Anyone else find it a bit weird that far all of his career he avoided the media if at all possible. Then new regime comes in and he then takes to the media to plead his case to get a deal and bad mouth the organizations handling of his negotations and now he says he would be interested in taking a TV analyst job. When I heard this I didn't know what to think considering he's hated the media the entire time and now he wants to be a part of the media. Can u say awkward

LB Coach or Quality Control? Would be sort of a logical move like Kevin Greene. His experience in the system would really benefit the new players. My only issue would be underlying resentment towards the front office.

I am glad to see he went out on top and not bashing the team. He has earned back a lot of respect taking the high road. Additionally, I am glad this saga is over (for now). I just couldn't picture him in another team's jersey.

Loved him as a player and Bear but no way in hell do I want him as a coach on our team and I am glad he is not interested.

Peace :dabears

If your statement is true then Emery and Trestman are freakin genius's. To believe they offered him more money than anyone else, knowing all along it would lead to his retirement. Pure genius!

Although the lack of interest from other teams is true and worth noting, don't pretend to know what all other teams would have been willing to pay him had Urlacher been willing to switch teams. And don't overlook that the Bears offer to him was "an ultimatum, not a negotiation". There's only one reason you negotiate that way, and that's if you don't really want him around, even for the vet minimum.

Moreso, do you really think a guy with at least $50million in the bank and assets to boot with a body that's racked up some serious mileage is going to play another year for $2million or less for some scrub team? That's what that poster on another thread meant when he said Urlacher retired the day he didn't accept the Bears offer, but didn't make it official until a few days ago.

I also say all this because I saw Urlacher's play last year. Emery offered our starting MLB (and he would have been, had he signed) significantly less than our second string RB. I agree, in a sense, that was genius, because the one team to which Urlacher was most valuable offered him just little enough to get him to turn them down, but not so low that there wasn't plausible deniability to those not paying attention. Anyway, you don't have to defend the team's new leadership. It's just business.