Carimi traded to Bucs for draft pick

Bears4Ever_34

Chalk up another bust for Jerry Angelo. Good move to get something in return though. He clearly wasn't in their plans for the future.

Is JA officially the worst drafter ever yet?He gets props for the Briggs and Tillman draft, but wow outside of Forte....

After missing two weeks of OTAs the club is now happier with 5th Rd pick Mills and former UDFA Brown as backups over Carimi. Really surprised they pulled the trigger on this deal so soon, I expected they'd at least look at him this coming week. It was likely a guaranteed pick and after seeing the other two players for the last couple weeks they clearly felt he didn't offer more than either of them.

This is either exciting news or depressing news. Depresssing because another 1st Rd pick was wasted. Exciting because we clearly have Oline coaches who are taking the line in a different direction, and rapidly. After years of inept performance I hope this signals what we've all been waiting for. Kromer said he does not care who you are and where you were drafted, he wants the best players.

These coaches and Emery have also sent a very clear message to the rest of the roster!

After missing two weeks of OTAs the club is now happier with 5th Rd pick Mills and former UDFA Brown as backups over Carimi. Really surprised they pulled the trigger on this deal so soon, I expected they'd at least look at him this coming week. It was likely a guaranteed pick and after seeing the other two players for the last couple weeks they clearly felt he didn't offer more than either of them.

This is either exciting news or depressing news. Depresssing because another 1st Rd pick was wasted. Exciting because we clearly have Oline coaches who are taking the line in a different direction, and rapidly. After years of inept performance I hope this signals what we've all been waiting for. Kromer said he does not care who you are and where you were drafted, he wants the best players.

These coaches and Emery have also sent a very clear message to the rest of the roster!

I'd say its depressing because the OL sucked, isn't deep, and they're so quickly dumping a former first rounder a short time after he was drafted. I'd have liked the move more if he got into training camp and they could tell if he was fully healed from his injuries.

I'd say its depressing because the OL sucked, isn't deep, and they're so quickly dumping a former first rounder a short time after he was drafted. I'd have liked the move more if he got into training camp and they could tell if he was fully healed from his injuries.

Where the problem came in is he had money on the table, if he was cut the money would just be dead money. Now were off the hook and get something out of it. As someone said on here before, drafting pre injured players has its draw backs. We just have to look forward and hope they get it all figured out. At least they have the balls to get rid of 1st round picks it they dont think there any good, instead of keeping him a few more years and just be done with him.

I believe this move is clearly a message about how this staff and GM view voluntary OTAs and how they want this team to work going forward. If this team can let Urlacher twist in the wind trading Carimi who has given the team not much is no big deal IMO.

I think it was a good pick, you can't foresee injuries.

I hope he doesn't turn into Colombo....

He may end up being able to play somewhere else but they didnt think he fit in here so got rid of him. If you look at his first few years in the NFL, he deserved to be gone, thats life in the fast lane.

Kinda surprised you're not more angry at this.

Also what were his injury concerns coming out of college? I see he missed 3 games his sophomore year and that's it...Did he get injured in the final game of the season at UW? In the offseason?

What this tells me is the staff feels Webb is more of a possible than Carimi. We'll just have to see how this ans out in TC.

Kinda surprised you're not more angry at this.

Also what were his injury concerns coming out of college? I see he missed 3 games his sophomore year and that's it...Did he get injured in the final game of the season at UW? In the offseason?

I am, but this has been an offseason of disappointment in terms of FA.

This move also feels like a "get rid of the old regime"-move just a little bit. The financial aspect obviously consequential here as well. And I've been on record as saying a team that puts money as their primary consideration is going to have issues. This also signals your boy Webb will probably start, which is bad news in my opinion (how many damn chances does this guy get?!). Perhaps most frustrating is the fact that Webb got multiple chances while the Bears two first round OTs of the future got dicked by Tice and moved inside to OG while a player (not just Webb) performing very poorly remained outside. Some will vomit, "Trust the staff," and all I can think of is the long debates on this board about how the GMs and coaches know soooo much and we know so little, and that's why we aren't qualified to question their decisions...decisions that have resulted in some dreadful drafts, pathetic coaching, questionable personnel decisions, and mediocre teams. Well, I seriously question this move. It feels less about player impact to the team and more about everything else.

This is a surprise. I thought he would be competing in camp and the staff would decide what to do then. Why publicly support him and dump him for essentially nothing? I would have rather seen him compete in camp and be cut for nothing than not seeing what he can bring to the table vs a 6th rounder. Outside of sending a message, this reeks of money.

My other thought is, what if a coach went to AZ to watch him workout and saw the same old bust they had last year? Regardless, I'm disappointed.

I am, but this has been an offseason of disappointment in terms of FA.

LOL seriously?

I read some pretty dumb stuff on this board, but wow. Just Bushrod, Slauson and Bennett alone make this season a success in terms of Free Agents.

LOL seriously?

I read some pretty dumb stuff on this board, but wow. Just Bushrod, Slauson and Bennett alone make this season a success in terms of Free Agents.

Meh, I'll wait until the season gets going to determine if it was a success or not. I wasn't particularly enthused with the Bushrod or Bennett signing, and the draft leaves me with a lot of question marks, just as it did last year.

Well, I seriously question this move. It feels less about player impact to the team and more about everything else.

I'm actually with you on this one Jason. It's not like we're deep with known commodities on the O line at this point. A 6th round pick?

I know how it feels when you're in the position of having to clean up someone else's messes, I've been doing it far too often recently in my life. This just feels hasty given everything we already know about the line. I sure hope they're seeing something out there that made them comfortable with this.

LOL seriously?

In terms of keeping our guys it's been disappointing.

I figured he would get traded, the writing was on the wall. The Bears have said they see Carimi as a G. Carimi wants to play OT. Carimi displayed his displeasure by working out in Arz and missing voluntary OTA's, thus trying to get moved.

IMO, I'm fine with it. Carimi fit Tice's style and was only going to be a RT in Tice's offense. In Kromers offense, I think we will need more athletic line play with the Zone Blocking Scheme. I think Carimi will have a decent NFL career, but it wasn't going to be with the new look Bears. At least we got some compensation for a player that would've been on the bubble as a Guard.

Keeping our guys disappointing? I'm all for keeping our good players but if they suck they suck and we to cut them and get better players.

This offseason:

-Essentially cut a HOF MLB who was statistically proven to have a very positive effect on the defense

-Traded a first round OT two years after he was drafted and before anyone really got to see him work a game while healthy, while simultaneously having one of the worst OLs in the NFL for 5+ consecutive years and having very little known quantities for depth

-Cut a hybrid TE who was drafted with the premise of getting more targets for Jay and turning around the Bears horrible offense

The first is still a question mark until we see the defense and the new pieces in action. The other two are premature and have other issues that have already been noted.