Well now the battle is on with the O-line

Wesson44

And why else would he point out, in the very same quote we're talking about, that THERE WILL BE COMPETITION if Webb is a virtual lock....I love how you guys said READ THE DAMN QUOTE and that you guys chose to simply skip that sentence.

The quote(again):

What are the chances somebody beats out J’Marcus Webb at RT? Is he locked in? -- @stcollins23, from Twitter

The only way someone beats out Webb is if Webb falls on his face in camp. I’d be surprised if that happened. Webb probably has to show a little something just because he is dealing with an entirely new group of coaches. And he will have competition from Jonathan Scott, who is a consistent, veteran pro. Scott won’t fall on his face, and I would bet on that. But it’s Webb’s job to lose.

Apparently you don't see the part that says, "falls on his face in camp." All you see is the word competition, when, in fact, it's not really competition. It's Jonathan Freaking Scott. Scott is a body. That's it. He's been on four teams in six years, and has never been confused for good. He's a dude who doesn't rattle cages, shows up early at OTAs, shakes hands, learns the playbook, and then performs poorly, but not poorly enough that people notice him. That is not competition.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then you should've stopped arguing with me after my Post #50 in this thread.

If they don't have someone better to challenge him that's a problem at the GM level. The coaches can only mold the clay they're given. So if Pompei is saying "Webb is going to win this job because the competition at his position sucks worse than him" that's very different than him saying the Bears have settled the RT job despite there being other better options. You seem to be changing your position, which is fine, but don't pretend for a minute that you haven't been caught flip flopping.

Sigh...try looking back in this thread a bit. Show me where the inconsistency is. I can't help it if you still have reading comprehension issues.

Sounds like while there may be a lot of OLinemen in for competition, there isn't much competition being thrown Webb's way at RT. I don't see anything in there about him being solid, because he wasn't. That's implication that the competition isn't really any competition.

...then all the bodies mean nothing because there is no competition. - Consistency.

It's not what we think. It's what we're replying to in regards to what an insider thinks. What you believe doesn't mean a lot right now because you haven't seen the team. Neither have we. But Pompeii has, and he seems to believe that Webb is basically being handed the job without competition. - When Pompeii says, "falls on his face," that's what those words mean in every English language definition of the idiom. Consistent.

Those two things put together are probably the basis for his comments about Webb basically being handed the job. Consistent.

The implication of "falls on his face" is that Webb would have to screw up royally to even have a shot of losing his job. That, plus the fact that it's difficult to screw up royally in practice against your own team, one that is obviously not going to play 100% as if it were a real opponent, pretty much means he's being handed the job without legitimate competition. Consistent.

And regardless of what you say Cracker, that's basically what Pompeii is saying when he states that Webb would have to fall on his face to lose the job. There is literally no other way to interpret the Pompeii statement. Fall flat on your face means embarrassing failure. So, if Pompeii is right, Webb could screw up considerably, as long as it's not egregious, and the job is still his. If that's competition, then we must use a different dictionary. Consistent.

For the final time, the entire thread seems to have spiraled because of the Pompeii article, and if you can't see that his words are synonymous with "no real competition," then I question your grasp on the English language. Consistent.

I'm obviously suggesting the former, which is why I started the line of thought with, "Webb basically being handed the job." Surely other people are getting snaps, but it's just that the other people getting snaps aren't worth a damn. It's like lining up the worst basketball player in the NBA next to a midget and saying they have an equal shot at the starting position. That's simple half-truth. Consistent.

It's certainly a GM and HC level issue if the only challenger to Webb, a guy who has been one of the worst OLinemen in the NFL over the course of the last few years, is a journeyman scrub. That says, despite the fact that they use the word, there is no real competition. It's an illusion of competition.

It's certainly a GM and HC level issue if the only challenger to Webb, a guy who has been one of the worst OLinemen in the NFL over the course of the last few years, is a journeyman scrub. That says, despite the fact that they use the word, there is no real competition. It's an illusion of competition.

Thanks for reposting your entire idiotic series of comments again. Appreciate it.

You're still wrong.

My god you 2 let this go.

Funny how SCS says we shouldn't listen to what pompei says while he sits there and says we should take the words from the coaching staff as 100% truth. My oh my. I've said several times that u can't always trust a media member u should also know u can't always trust what the coaching staff(regardless of team or sport). Let's say for a sec that coaching staff believes Webb is best lineman on team right now. So they come out and tell us that and say he's guarateed the RT job regardless of what happens in camp. Just imagine the vitriol that would be thrown there way. Regardless of what they think they wouldn't come out and tell us that. Coaching staffs are typically spitting out either half truths or telling us what we want to hear. Truth is none if us no exactly how this particular coaching staff goes about everything. Unlike with lovie we knew he wasn't going to ever tell us anything at all

I never once said you shouldn't listen to what Pompei says. I said you shouldn't take his opinion, then skew his opinion and make it into something it's not.

The quote(again):

What are the chances somebody beats out J’Marcus Webb at RT? Is he locked in? -- @stcollins23, from Twitter

The only way someone beats out Webb is if Webb falls on his face in camp. I’d be surprised if that happened. Webb probably has to show a little something just because he is dealing with an entirely new group of coaches. And he will have competition from Jonathan Scott, who is a consistent, veteran pro. Scott won’t fall on his face, and I would bet on that. But it’s Webb’s job to lose.

Apparently you don't see the part that says, "falls on his face in camp." All you see is the word competition, when, in fact, it's not really competition. It's Jonathan Freaking Scott. Scott is a body. That's it. He's been on four teams in six years, and has never been confused for good. He's a dude who doesn't rattle cages, shows up early at OTAs, shakes hands, learns the playbook, and then performs poorly, but not poorly enough that people notice him. That is not competition.

Ok so now you are heading a different direction here. Now you wanna talk about the performance level of Webbs competition. .... Right? So the point is no longer that he is "basically being handed the job" but that his level of competition sucks??? I don't believe this was your argument to begin with.

So you agree that there is competition but Webb is the best of the bunch.

At least you are consistent Jason. Went back to the Jonathon Scott is back thread and you called him a scrub there too.

Now I question if you and Twig even have the same argument going here? It seems like you are saying there is no competition because of the level of competition while Twig is saying there is no competition period.

At least you are consistent Jason. Went back to the Jonathon Scott is back thread and you called him a scrub there too.

Now I question if you and Twig even have the same argument going here? It seems like you are saying there is no competition because of the level of competition while Twig is saying there is no competition period.

Seriously? U still can't read after all this time. I tried spelling it out for you and yey you still don't understand. Or your just ignoring what I'm actually saying. Even my 5 yr old understands what I'm saying. And no one would accuse him of being extremely smart. Since its obvious u will never understand my point I give up. My god

Seriously? U still can't read after all this time. I tried spelling it out for you and yey you still don't understand. Or your just ignoring what I'm actually saying. Even my 5 yr old understands what I'm saying. And no one would accuse him of being extremely smart. Since its obvious u will never understand my point I give up. My god

Well have your 5 year old hit me up because its still not clear from your stand point. It's clear Jason is talking about the level of talent competing with Webb which is resulting in "no real competition". Your opinion seems to be different with all your I JUST WAN A DAMN COMPETITION posts which I'm taking as you think, talent disregarded, that there is no open competition going on at all. These are 2 completely different view points and I lumped you both into the 1 view point of thinking Webb is just being handed the job, which is false.

Jasons point I can wrap my head around, though supposedly Emery really like Scott and they did spend a draft pick on a RT to compete, so they did what they can. It's your viewpoint that I view as wrong.

To sum up what I've gathered...

You seem to think that Scott and Mills aren't getting a chance to compete while Jason thinks Scott and Mills are competing but the talent level isn't there

Well have your 5 year old hit me up because its still not clear from your stand point. It's clear Jason is talking about the level of talent competing with Webb which is resulting in "no real competition". Your opinion seems to be different with all your I JUST WAN A DAMN COMPETITION posts which I'm taking as you think, talent disregarded, that there is no open competition going on at all. These are 2 completely different view points and I lumped you both into the 1 view point of thinking Webb is just being handed the job, which is false.

Jasons point I can wrap my head around, though supposedly Emery really like Scott and they did spend a draft pick on a RT to compete, so they did what they can. It's your viewpoint that I view as wrong.

To sum up what I've gathered...

You seem to think that Scott and Mills aren't getting a chance to compete while Jason thinks Scott and Mills are competing but the talent level isn't there

Like I just said I give up. Its crystal clear that you will never understand my point and I feel I would be wasting my breath trying to spell it out yo you again

Like I just said I give up. Its crystal clear that you will never understand my point and I feel I would be wasting my breath trying to spell it out yo you again

Excuse me for not understand what your argument is, I'm sure im not the only one. I just want a simple response, Ill make it easy with an a or b question...

do you...

A. Think there is no real competition because of the talent level of Scott and Mills? (What I believe Jasons argument to be)

or

B. Think there is no real competition because Mills and Scott aren't going to get a fair shot? (What I believe your argument to be)

It's a quite simple request that I believe another poster asked Jason as well.

Get off your high horse and answer A or B.

Excuse me for not understand what your argument is, I'm sure im not the only one. I just want a simple response, Ill make it easy with an a or b question...

do you...

A. Think there is no real competition because of the talent level of Scott and Mills? (What I believe Jasons argument to be)

or

B. Think there is no real competition because Mills and Scott aren't going to get a fair shot? (What I believe your argument to be)

It's a quite simple request that I believe another poster asked Jason as well.

Get off your high horse and answer A or B.

Whatever u think it should be. As I said I give up. There's no such thing as an easy answer for u otherwise this would have ended last week. I will just agree to disagree with u like always

Whatever u think it should be. As I said I give up. There's no such thing as an easy answer for u otherwise this would have ended last week. I will just agree to disagree with u like always

There's no such thing as an easy answer with me??? I'm asking you A or B, how much easier can it get?? I think you just realize how wrong you are with opinion B and don't wanna admit it.

All I wanna do is clear things up.

Jason - Are you suggesting that there is "no real competition" because there aren't players in the mix good enough to challenge Webb seriously, or that the players that are in the mix aren't being given a fair shake at the competition?

I think that Pompeii is suggesting the former. I think he is expressing his opinion that he feels Webb is the best player in the mix and should win the job handily. I don't think that he is suggesting that the other players in the mix at RT aren't being given a fair opportunity because he could easily have said that or that the competition has already been won. I also think that if the other guys in the mix weren't obviously getting a fair shot, that other and more salacious reporters would have also noticed that and would have happily written an article taking the coaches to task for "no real competition" as you like to say.

So if you want to say there is "no real competition" at RT because Emery didn't have the resources to bring in a candidate with a skill set obviously better than Webb to a sportswriter, then you may have a point. Otherwise, your "coaches lie to the media so we can't trust them" theory is kinda weak with no evidence other than a personal interpretation of one writer's offhand comment.

This same question that was asked by LT. I wanna clear up the same thing he asked Jason.

Is it that big of a request?

A or B?

There's no such thing as an easy answer with me??? I'm asking you A or B, how much easier can it get?? I think you just realize how wrong you are with opinion B and don't wanna admit it.

All I wanna do is clear things up.

U can think whatever u wanna think. U always think I'm wrong as it is do would me spelling it out to u again for at least the 6th time really change that fact. No I don't think so

U can think whatever u wanna think. U always think I'm wrong as it is do would me spelling it out to u again for at least the 6th time really change that fact. No I don't think so

If your answer is A then I don't think youre wrong. If your answer is B then I simply believe you are wrong and we'll leave it at that. Much like LT wanted to clear up what Jason was trying to say that's what I wanna know from you. Does LT need to "learn to read" or "grow a brain" because he asked Jason the same question I'm asking you? You HAVE NOT made it clear whether you think there is no competition because of the level of talent in Mills and Scott or if you think there is no competition because those 2 aren't getting a fair shake at the job.

I want SCS to grow a brain. Yes that's true. How's that? To mean? Wouldn't wanna hurt that massive ego of his. Cracker there's no helping yourego but iI'm so used to you that I wouldn't expect anything else

Get the freak off your high horse with this bullshit. You wanna make personal attacks like this when all I'm doing is asking a simple CIVIL question that you have yet to address. I'm not being a dick here, I asked a serious question. For you to make this oout to be bigger than what it is and question my brain is beyond asinine.

You're a grown ass man, act like it.

If your answer is A then I don't think youre wrong. If your answer is B then I simply believe you are wrong and we'll leave it at that. Much like LT wanted to clear up what Jason was trying to say that's what I wanna know from you. Does LT need to "learn to read" or "grow a brain" because he asked Jason the same question I'm asking you? You HAVE NOT made it clear whether you think there is no competition because of the level of talent in Mills and Scott or if you think there is no competition because those 2 aren't getting a fair shake at the job.

Get the freak off your high horse with this bullshit. You wanna make personal attacks like this when all I'm doing is asking a simple CIVIL question that you have yet to address. I'm not being a dick here, I asked a serious question. For you to make this oout to be bigger than what it is and question my brain is beyond asinine.

You're a grown ass man, act like it.

I've started my point more than enough times. What don't u get about the phrase "I give up". It means I'm done arguing my point cuz its clear u will never understand my point so I'm done debating this. I give up means no more of finished. D u understand that or do I need to spell that for u also

I've started my point more than enough times. What don't u get about the phrase "I give up". It means I'm done arguing my point cuz its clear u will never understand my point so I'm done debating this. I give up means no more of finished. D u understand that or do I need to spell that for u also

How about you just shove it in my face with your pasts posts that clearly point out what your point is.

I don't understand what is so hard about this, and why I'm even getting shit for this. LT asked the same question to Jason and Jason respectfully answered.

I will undoubtedly understand your point if you just answer me with a simple A or B.

Is anyone else seeing my point here? Anyone else think I'm wrong here in asking the question I did?

I don't wanna give up because I've spent ample time arguing this and I wanna know what we we're actually arguing about.

I've said from beginning that Webb will probably start however I've also said a thousand times that he can't be just given the damn job. His play hasn't ever been good enough to simply just give him starting gig without competition. I don't give a damn who the coaching staff is. U make it a competition and may the best man win. If Webb wins then fine I can get behind that but to simply give him a job does a complete disservice to everyone around. I personally want to see competition every where on the field so don't think for a damn second I'm just hating on Webb here. No one should ever be just given a starting job after doing nothing there whole career. Don't tell me about potential either of Webb. Its about what have u done for me lately. How can anyone justify giving Webb a job while being OK with letting cutler go at end of yr. Cutler has at least done something in his time here. And if Webb is given the job with no competition I hope cutler lays his ass out cold the nxt time he completely whiffs on a block

See this post is different than what Jasons view is. Jason says there is no real competition due to the fact that Scott isn't that great, but he is indeed competiting anyway. While this post makes it sound like you think there is no competition PERIOD, which is not the case and silly to think.... I'm just trying to make sure I have your story straight....I really don't see the harm in this and why I'm being bashed for this.

Thanks for reposting your entire idiotic series of comments again. Appreciate it.

You're still wrong.

So you're saying I flip-flopped, but when I show you with great detail how you are wrong and my position has not changed, you reply with that comment?

Talk about being proven wrong.

Thank you. Jonathan Scott is not competition. No matter how anyone wants to twist it, he's essentially Weekend at Bernie's in a football uniform. If that's Webb's only "competition" then there is no real competition; it's just a guy giving Webb a breather. And that is why I think Pompeii's words (i.e. falls on his face) signals that lack of actual competition.

See this post is different than what Jasons view is. Jason says there is no real competition due to the fact that Scott isn't that great, but he is indeed competiting anyway. While this post makes it sound like you think there is no competition PERIOD, which is not the case and silly to think.... I'm just trying to make sure I have your story straight....I really don't see the harm in this and why I'm being bashed for this.

Just for clarification, that's not exactly my position...or maybe it is and we just have a semantic issue.

I believe there is no real competition because Scott sucks, but Scott is getting snaps so Webb can actually get water, take a breather. So, in actuality, there is no competition, period. Competition implies multiple parties competing for the same object/position, which doesn't appear to be the case (i.e. falls flat on his face).

Maybe it's just a matter of percentage? I believe Scott has about a .05% chance of winning the job. Therefore, he's not competing; he's just filling in while Webb breaks. If one were to believe Scott has a 1% chance (e.g. US vs. Russia hockey in 1980), then I suppose you could call it a competition...but I sure wouldn't go to Vegas on those odds.

Just for clarification, that's not exactly my position...or maybe it is and we just have a semantic issue.

I believe there is no real competition because Scott sucks, but Scott is getting snaps so Webb can actually get water, take a breather. So, in actuality, there is no competition, period. Competition implies multiple parties competing for the same object/position, which doesn't appear to be the case (i.e. falls flat on his face).

Maybe it's just a matter of percentage? I believe Scott has about a .05% chance of winning the job. Therefore, he's not competing; he's just filling in while Webb breaks. If one were to believe Scott has a 1% chance (e.g. US vs. Russia hockey in 1980), then I suppose you could call it a competition...but I sure wouldn't go to Vegas on those odds.

I'm good with it. While Webb will go into this year make or break, I'm convinced the OL as a whole looks improved on paper, scheme and coaching. I definitely look for Garza to be upgraded next season and Webb too if he does not become solidly average.

Scott is competing, but talent wise I don't think he has what it takes to beat out Webb. Scott was on pace to give up 44 pressures last year, Webb only gave up 29. Why Emery, and some on this board liked Scott last year is beyond me but that's who Phil chose....Once pads are put on it wouldn't surprise me one bit to hear that Mills, Brown, and Britton(wrong on the name here but the dude that came from the jags) are also getting a look.....like I said earlier in this thread we should wait till they put on pads before we get all up in arms about competition.