Bears continue to get bigger.

scs787

Brad Biggs ‏@BradBiggs 24m

Pending a physical #Bears expected to sign TE Leonard Pope.

Another end zone threat to throw out there.

Speculation the Eldridge is being cut for Pope.

Trying to cover a 2 TE set with Marshall, Jeffery, M. Bennett and Pope would be awfully difficult in the red zone.

Brad Biggs ‏@BradBiggs 24m

Pending a physical #Bears expected to sign TE Leonard Pope.

Another end zone threat to throw out there.

Speculation the Eldridge is being cut for Pope.

Trying to cover a 2 TE set with Marshall, Jeffery, M. Bennett and Pope would be awfully difficult in the red zone.

I seem to remember coveting Pope when he came out for the draft...can't remember why. He was in a class of a few other decent TEs then. But I'm glad he's (or will be) on the team.

I seem to remember coveting Pope when he came out for the draft...can't remember why. He was in a class of a few other decent TEs then. But I'm glad he's (or will be) on the team.

Probably because he's 6'8" and can run a 4.58 40 which is pretty good for a TE. Was projected as a first rounder and looked to have a ton of talent.

As a 2nd TE he very well could be a valuable piece to this offense. 61 of his 105 career receptions have been for a 1st down or a touchdown, gotta like that.

I like it, another wildcard.

In his years here in AZ I never that 4.6 forty speed in a game. When he was younger he was tall and stiff when he ran routes and wasn't a threat to turn upfield with the ball and run away. I don't think that's any better these days. As a blocker he was again too tall and stiff.

Let's cut to the chase....is he better than Fendi? I haven't seen Fendi play but most likely Pope is equal or somewhat better in all phases except running routes. We have some games to assess this competition but word I've seen is that Fendi's hands are very inconsistent. Not sure Pope is dramatically better in the hands department. All else being equal Pope's game experience puts him ahead of Fendi on final cuts.

For all the chatter about Pope's height helping in the red zone he only has a total of 11 TDs in his seven year career and he's never had more than 250 yds receiving in a single season.

I like the signing in light of our lack of depth at this position. If he can get the offense down he can certainly be a good 4th or 5th option on plays but I don't expect a lot from him.

In his years here in AZ I never that 4.6 forty speed in a game. When he was younger he was tall and stiff when he ran routes and wasn't a threat to turn upfield with the ball and run away. I don't think that's any better these days. As a blocker he was again too tall and stiff.

Let's cut to the chase....is he better than Fendi? I haven't seen Fendi play but most likely Pope is equal or somewhat better in all phases except running routes. We have some games to assess this competition but word I've seen is that Fendi's hands are very inconsistent. Not sure Pope is dramatically better in the hands department. All else being equal Pope's game experience puts him ahead of Fendi on final cuts.

For all the chatter about Pope's height helping in the red zone he only has a total of 11 TDs in his seven year career and he's never had more than 250 yds receiving in a single season.

I like the signing in light of our lack of depth at this position. If he can get the offense down he can certainly be a good 4th or 5th option on plays but I don't expect a lot from him.

[/quo/]

NEWSFLASH!!

We dont need Pope to be an allpro!! If he can make the team he can be used on the goal line to create a mismatch with a LB or DB, 6'8 vs 5'10 to 6'2....guess who might have a better chance to win that battle. We have Bennett as the ace TE so if he makes the team....think about this....on the goal line (red zone) you have Marshall, Jeffery, Bennett, Pope and Forte at your disposal all above 6'2....that's going to be a nightmare to defend.

Newsflash....wouldn't that be a 4th or 5th option? I get the whole height thing but Pope is not a quick twitch athlete and that is needed to either adjust to the ball away from the defender or have good hands on a short pass that's a bullet. If you can lay the ball out there he'll catch it.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-fantasy/0ap2...pe-1-yd-pass-TD

That's what you get with Pope. He doesn't have great hands and usually bodies up against the ball to catch it. That won't work over his head. There's a reason he hasn't been used this way in seven years in the league (almost the end of his career) across 3 teams. I'll be happy to be wrong on this.

Newsflash....wouldn't that be a 4th or 5th option? I get the whole height thing but Pope is not a quick twitch athlete and that is needed to either adjust to the ball away from the defender or have good hands on a short pass that's a bullet. If you can lay the ball out there he'll catch it.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-fantasy/0ap2...pe-1-yd-pass-TD

That's what you get with Pope. He doesn't have great hands and usually bodies up against the ball to catch it. That won't work over his head. There's a reason he hasn't been used this way in seven years in the league (almost the end of his career) across 3 teams. I'll be happy to be wrong on this.

So, just thinking aloud here, as I mentioned before he came from a respectable class of TEs that draft year (2006). With the likes of Vernon Davis, Marcedes Lewis, Tony Sheffler and Tony Fasano he (Pope) wasnt drafted until the third round. So should we really expect 1st round talent? When compared to someone like Onubun (former BBall) player I'd take Pope any day. Does he need to have the 4.3 speed (or whatever it was) as long as he proves to be worthwhile as an all around contributer? Comparing him to another TE on the roster, Maneri, I'd still choose Pope as he has more true TE attributes to add to the team.

Who knows maybe Trestman will be able to work some "magic" with him?

and in his first practice he injures Washington lol.

I guess he's actually more known for his blocking...Maybe he can breakout like Martellus did in NY after not being utilized in Dallas. This all of course assuming they even use 2 TEs in the passing game.

I remember when he came out in the draft, I wanted the Bears to get him. Nice pick up, Good blocker and reciever.

He is just a camp body, he hasnt been sitting at home because he has been holding out for big money. If he had anything on the ball he would be in NE with all there problems.

He is just a camp body, he hasnt been sitting at home because he has been holding out for big money. If he had anything on the ball he would be in NE with all there problems.

I disagree with him just being a "camp body." Depth is so important and we had nobody behind Bennett. If he's injured, do you feel good about Kyle Adams, Brody Eldridge, Steve Maneri, Gabe Miller, or Fendi Onobun?

He was probably holding out for more money or a better opportunity. But he looks damn good as a back-up.

I remember when he came out in the draft, I wanted the Bears to get him. Nice pick up, Good blocker and reciever.

Yep. I remember I was ticked off that we decided to draft Dannieal Manning and Devin Hester instead of Leonard Pope. Then he was taken the pick before we drafted Dusty Dvoracek. Of course us missing on him allowed us to draft Greg Olsen the next year.