I hate to say I told you so

BearFan PHX

Ok, so I hate to say it (no I love it) but I saw a LOT of defenders out of their gaps and we got slashed in the run game in the first quarter.

Now it's WAY early, and I have faith that they will fix some of these things, but I saw exactly what I predicted. A new staff, some new players on the feld, and people were out of their gaps.

When you play a one gap system, you need 8 guys filling gaps or you get 8 yard runs, and we sure saw a bunch of those.

This happened Lovie's first year too. Something to watch for.

Also Webb sucks.

I think this happened almost every year at the beginning of our season. Plus Lovie's D could never tackle early in the season. Probably not going to change much in that aspect either because Trestman doesn't have them practice tackling to the ground.

I think this happened almost every year at the beginning of our season. Plus Lovie's D could never tackle early in the season. Probably not going to change much in that aspect either because Trestman doesn't have them practice tackling to the ground.

You're right AZ, but it's about more than tackling, it's a necessary growing stage of any 1 gap system. In a 2 gap, each DL is responsible for 2 holes, and if they don't make a play, there's a roaming LB right behind to clean it up like a mini safety just a couple yards back. In a One gap, 8 guys are each responsible for a hole, and if anyone gets out of their gap, you have a runner slashing for like 8 yards until someone brings him down.

Ultimately, when gap discipline is sound, a one gap system is great cuz it get's a lot of penetration and pressure, but early on, with new players and coaches, there is a learning curve.

And, yes I know I am repeating myself :)

Go Bears!