Preseason Game #2

CrackerDog

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the biggest stand out of the night is Phil Emery. Trestman had both sides of the ball looking good. Marshall was Marshall. Many players he drafted the last couple years stood out during the game. When have you seen a Bears offensive lineman be the center point of commentary, in a good way, of a half of football?

Quick thoughts:

Cutler has issues that may never go away. His locking onto Marshall will be his undoing in Chicago. He caused a pressure, sack and interception by holding onto the ball too long. We have 3 weeks to get this out of his system. Not sure it can be done.

Good draft by Emery. Long is bonafide and Bostic delivered a hit like we never saw from Url. (not saying he's Url, but damn it's nice to see a guy hit like that) Have fun running those slants this year Packers.

Love the play calling.

OL still sucks. Continuity is a must at this point.

DL looks good, even without Peppers and Melton.

ST's look good.

D is still going to be a strength.

Bostic make me smile. :)

100% Chicago Bear Linebacker

Quick thoughts:

Cutler has issues that may never go away. His locking onto Marshall will be his undoing in Chicago. He caused a pressure, sack and interception by holding onto the ball too long. We have 3 weeks to get this out of his system. Not sure it can be done.

Good draft by Emery. Long is bonafide and Bostic delivered a hit like we never saw from Url. (not saying he's Url, but damn it's nice to see a guy hit like that) Have fun running those slants this year Packers.

Love the play calling.

ST's look good.

Very encouraged by Long & Mills. I never would have thought Mills had a shot at starting at RT, but with Scott's injury, Webb's struggles, and Mills' game tonight, I'm starting to believe. Mills and Long were consistently blocking well down the field tonight, something I'm not sure I've ever seen Webb do, and Trestman really tested them by running to their side. Also glad to see the ends do well with Peppers out and solid safety play from both Wright and Conte.

On the not so good side, Stephen Paea made no impact and didn't seem to get by anyone, although on the plus side I think Nate Collins is a really good player and made plays against the pass and run. Also discouraged by the Bears 2nd & 3rd string tackling - the first guy to the ball almost always whiffed or failed to wrap up. Don't like to see that. Also another no-show for the TEs - it might as well have been Kellen Davis out there all game. For all the talk about the difference Martellus Bennett would make, I'm not sure he's caught a pass yet. Worse yet, Mareri, the purported blocking TE, got pushed around a lot.

Also VERY wary of McCown. I hope this team is willing to keep an eye out during cut day for a better back-up option. Even against the 3rd and 4th string Chargers defense, McCown didn't show me much and seemed to bail on the pocket/check down well before he should. I was hoping that we would see something from the back-up WRs to separate Aromashodu/Anderson/Wilson, but none of them even got opportunities.

Very encouraged by Long & Mills. I never would have thought Mills had a shot at starting at RT, but with Scott's injury, Webb's struggles, and Mills' game tonight, I'm starting to believe. Mills and Long were consistently blocking well down the field tonight, something I'm not sure I've ever seen Webb do, and Trestman really tested them by running to their side. Also glad to see the ends do well with Peppers out and solid safety play from both Wright and Conte.

On the not so good side, Stephen Paea made no impact and didn't seem to get by anyone, although on the plus side I think Nate Collins is a really good player and made plays against the pass and run. Also discouraged by the Bears 2nd & 3rd string tackling - the first guy to the ball almost always whiffed or failed to wrap up. Don't like to see that. Also another no-show for the TEs - it might as well have been Kellen Davis out there all game. For all the talk about the difference Martellus Bennett would make, I'm not sure he's caught a pass yet. Worse yet, Mareri, the purported blocking TE, got pushed around a lot.

Also VERY wary of McCown. I hope this team is willing to keep an eye out during cut day for a better back-up option. Even against the 3rd and 4th string Chargers defense, McCown didn't show me much and seemed to bail on the pocket/check down well before he should. I was hoping that we would see something from the back-up WRs to separate Aromashodu/Anderson/Wilson, but none of them even got opportunities.

I think I just read that Blanchard has broken left hand

For all the talk about the difference Martellus Bennett would make, I'm not sure he's caught a pass yet.

Well, he's on the first team. The first game the team only played a few series, and this game Cutler only targeted Marshall. They need to get him to spread the ball around more so we can see what Bennett can do.

I thought on a whole they did OK. And as good as our 1st team played, I just don't see Cutler as an elite QB in the mold of any of the top five. Yea, he has all the physical tools but he just does not seem to have IT. Take away B.M. and who does he throw to? And why does he not look for anyone else? The TD to B.M., on the only replay they showed. Cutler never looked for anyone else. Yea it worked and most likely would 7 out of 10 times but at least look for another open player. Am I wrong? Maybe they should do what they did, in I think a Rocky movie, and tie his right hand to his back. Make him work without Marshall and see if he even knows who the other receivers are! In other words take Marshall off the field for the next game.

Someone should knock him out everytime he tries to throw to Marshall when he is covered like his 2nd int. Just stupid, it really is. This is preseason and a time to learn "how to practice" not make stupid mistakes that you will carry on into the reg. season. No excuse for that now!

Again, to be honest I don't think he has IT. And will not get us to the SB. And in todays NFL, unlike Rex's time, just chucking it with a great D it won't do it anymore.

Haven't seen the game yet. Reading the play by play was interesting: Run right, run right, pass right, run right, run right, pass right, run right. For sure the coaches wanted plenty of film on the rookies to evaluate. The fact Cutler force fed BMarsh and Forte could have also been part of the plan.

I know I'd like to see everyone involved but how much of our offense are we going to reveal in preseason? I'd love for the Bengals to think all Cutler will do in game 1 is throw to Marshall like last year and then watch as he spreads the ball everywhere else.

Haven't seen the game yet. Reading the play by play was interesting: Run right, run right, pass right, run right, run right, pass right, run right. For sure the coaches wanted plenty of film on the rookies to evaluate. The fact Cutler force fed BMarsh and Forte could have also been part of the plan.

I know I'd like to see everyone involved but how much of our offense are we going to reveal in preseason? I'd love for the Bengals to think all Cutler will do in game 1 is throw to Marshall like last year and then watch as he spreads the ball everywhere else.

The rookies need reps, and they sure got them last night. That was great, but the black unicorn, Alshon, and the rest need reps with Cutler and in the new system. Passing to a guy he passed to 41% of the time last year doesn't help the offense progress. I really hope fooling the Bengals wasn't the game plan.

I thought on a whole they did OK. And as good as our 1st team played, I just don't see Cutler as an elite QB in the mold of any of the top five. Yea, he has all the physical tools but he just does not seem to have IT. Take away B.M. and who does he throw to? And why does he not look for anyone else? The TD to B.M., on the only replay they showed. Cutler never looked for anyone else. Yea it worked and most likely would 7 out of 10 times but at least look for another open player. Am I wrong? Maybe they should do what they did, in I think a Rocky movie, and tie his right hand to his back. Make him work without Marshall and see if he even knows who the other receivers are! In other words take Marshall off the field for the next game.

Someone should knock him out everytime he tries to throw to Marshall when he is covered like his 2nd int. Just stupid, it really is. This is preseason and a time to learn "how to practice" not make stupid mistakes that you will carry on into the reg. season. No excuse for that now!

Again, to be honest I don't think he has IT. And will not get us to the SB. And in todays NFL, unlike Rex's time, just chucking it with a great D it won't do it anymore.

I agree that he is not an elite qb. However I think he is good enough to get us to a SB. It's extremely frustrating that so far emery went out and got him some new toys yet everything goes BM way. Why did we spend the big bucks on Bennett if we won't even look his way. I can't blame game plan as this is exactly how things were last yr. I do wonder that maybe all the yrs of abuse he has taken cuz of bad line play has sunk in so far he's forgotten how to properly go thru his progressions. If that's true maybe we need to give it time before he can trust his line not to get him killed. I loved during game cutler was asked about how fun it is to play with Long up front and cutler said it was great cuz dude is nasty and really likes to hit ppl. I took that as a shot at Webb Lol. Maybe this will mean he won't hit Long cuz he will hit back lol

Quick thoughts:

Love the play calling.

ST's look good.

Cutler will either learn to do better decisions or Trestman will not have him back.

I got almost everything I hoped for out of this game...

rookies starting in the O Line - CHECK! The rooks played well together. Long is a ferkin' stud. Anyone who doubted this pick should slap yourself in the face RIGHT NOW. There was a running play to the left where I saw him crush his man, head out into the secondary and nail another guy. Of course the left side of the line didn't get the job done but Long was attacking even when the play wasn't on his side. I really like this kid.

This offense needs to look professional tonight. - CHECK! Although Cutler zoned in on Marshall it was his first game on the field with Jay this preseason and I'm pretty sure Jay wanted to see that they still have chemistry in the new system. Besides, he just plain feels more comfortable with BM on the field. Unlike many of you, I don't find this to be a problem. Next week is the "dress rehearsal" and with a little game planning, scripting of plays, etc we should see the offense open up a bit.

We'll get a good idea of who the coaches are likely to cut at various positions. - Not sure about cuts but we certainly found a few guys who are a lot more likely to MAKE the team now. Ford looked good.

Is Peppers playing? NOPE. We got some pressure though. And SMC played like he knew what he was doing. Bostic's hit was special. Tackling was, for the most part, OK by the starters.

Starters will play a quarter or so if history is any indication. Has Nerdman said otherwise? - Frankly after seeing this team show a little more polish last night, I might start calling him by his real name. After that first series I was getting pissed! The team, for preseason, have been pretty disciplined too. Few penalties. It's a veteran group of guys but I'm still impressed with not seeing 15 false starts a game.

Would it be so bad to see Forte hit an actual hole the line opened for him? - CHECK! A big check at that. Nice blocking, Forte kept his feet and almost took it to the house.

And, of course, let's stay healthy! - Third string QB didn't make it through the game. That's not good for the 4th preseason game. We'll need someone to kill most of that game time. Is Jeff George available?

I agree that he is not an elite qb.

I don't. I'm not saying he is but you can't tell this much from pre-season game #2. I was pissed last week because they didn't show any polish whatsoever and you guys rightly called me on having my expectations set too high. This week it's you all and coming down on Cutler.

It's extremely frustrating that so far emery went out and got him some new toys yet everything goes BM way. Why did we spend the big bucks on Bennett if we won't even look his way. I can't blame game plan as this is exactly how things were last yr.

Lighten up Francis.

I do wonder that maybe all the yrs of abuse he has taken cuz of bad line play has sunk in so far he's forgotten how to properly go thru his progressions. If that's true maybe we need to give it time before he can trust his line not to get him killed.

The line, during that first series and at times during the rest of Cutler's play, wasn't stellar. He was seeing pressure. He caused his own problems at times too, don't get me wrong. I think Cutler will have trouble with trust issues with this line for at least the first 5 or 6 games of the regular season. They won't probably "gel" before that and he'll be taking some hits.

I loved during game cutler was asked about how fun it is to play with Long up front and cutler said it was great cuz dude is nasty and really likes to hit ppl. I took that as a shot at Webb Lol. Maybe this will mean he won't hit Long cuz he will hit back lol

Yep. Let's be honest, Cutler may be a jerk but he isn't stupid. Long would kill him!

I wouldn't worry about Martellus Bennett yet, until a few weeks into the regular season. I have to imagine Trestman is hiding how much he plans on using the middle of the field for the real games, and I expect Bennett to be a big part of that.

As for Cutler, I am still not quite sure he's the right man for this offense. I'll reserve judgement until the end of the season, but he seemed to regress a little bit in Pre-Season Game #2. For the most part, he had plenty of time, and it looked like he had no idea what to do with it. I saw a little bit of panic from him last night, compared to Game #1 where he looked poised and comfortable in the pocket. I thought in both instances, the two sacks should have never happened. #1 was slightly more excusable than the 2nd one, but those are two plays where the ball has to get out, either via a throw away or a pass to a receiver.

Next week is a big week for this offense, and Cutler specifically. What I want to see is a quick start. The last 2 games have started off in disaster fashion, which is way too reminiscent of the Mike Tice era, as brief as it was.

Kyle Long looks like the real deal so far. I haven't seen a lineman play that well in a Bears uniform since.. FOREVER. My god. He was stonewalling people with one arm, pancaking people left and right. He was far and away the best OL in the game yesterday, which isn't something you expect for a rookie. I was also impressed with the other rookie, Jordan Mills. It was less flashy, but he seemed to be able to hold his own in both pass protection and in run blocking. I am starting to be more encouraged with our unit up front with Mills and Long in as starters. Consistency is key.

I agree with you and think the team needs another quarterback behind Jay.

When you have Marshall one on one in the red zone you go to that play every time with the back shoulder throw. That is one of the highest percentages plays in our offense in that situation. That was perfect.

I actually think part of the plan was to get Bmarsh some action as I don't think the coaches want to show too much. Plus other then the one pick, which was a bad throw, Marshall was pretty darn open.

I agree that he is not an elite qb. However I think he is good enough to get us to a SB. It's extremely frustrating that so far emery went out and got him some new toys yet everything goes BM way. Why did we spend the big bucks on Bennett if we won't even look his way. I can't blame game plan as this is exactly how things were last yr. I do wonder that maybe all the yrs of abuse he has taken cuz of bad line play has sunk in so far he's forgotten how to properly go thru his progressions. If that's true maybe we need to give it time before he can trust his line not to get him killed. I loved during game cutler was asked about how fun it is to play with Long up front and cutler said it was great cuz dude is nasty and really likes to hit ppl. I took that as a shot at Webb Lol. Maybe this will mean he won't hit Long cuz he will hit back lol

3 of the 5 throws to Marshall were on designed plays. You had a quick slant where you went to Marshall...a one on one in the red zone and then a designed screen play for Marshall. The other throw he was pretty open in the middle and the 5th I'd give you was a force (but Marsh was opened). Hard to say a guy isn't spreading it around when he makes 5 throws.

I don't. I'm not saying he is but you can't tell this much from pre-season game #2. I was pissed last week because they didn't show any polish whatsoever and you guys rightly called me on having my expectations set too high. This week it's you all and coming down on Cutler.

Lighten up Francis.

The line, during that first series and at times during the rest of Cutler's play, wasn't stellar. He was seeing pressure. He caused his own problems at times too, don't get me wrong. I think Cutler will have trouble with trust issues with this line for at least the first 5 or 6 games of the regular season. They won't probably "gel" before that and he'll be taking some hits.

Yep. Let's be honest, Cutler may be a jerk but he isn't stupid. Long would kill him!

I'm not basing my judgement regarding cutler on these 2 preseason games. He's been here for a little while and I see a guy who has all the tools to be elite but he makes to many stupid mistakes for me to put him with the other elite guys. Granted an oline that's at least decent will help but personally I don't see an elite qb. I see a good qb that will make amazing plays 1 series and then follow it up and make us scream at him. I see a guy that will is capable of winning us games by himself and he will also loss us games by himself. Just my opinion of course