Webbs demotion also rewarded with pay cut.

GrizzlyBear

They knew they were going to give it to Mills from the first day, but they wanted to make the theater so Mills would feel like he earned it. There never was a real competition. Webb never had the fair chance he deserved.

:P

Let's get a collection going to help Webb recoup the lost $, after all, it was a conspiracy to discredit him.

Let's get a collection going to help Webb recoup the lost $, after all, it was a conspiracy to discredit him.

I've got a better idea. How about Webb go and recoup it himself. The $$ he lost can be regained right back thru incentives. But as its been mentioned before it doesn't seem he has the drive to do that. What a waste of talent if that's true

I've got a better idea. How about Webb go and recoup it himself. The $$ he lost can be regained right back thru incentives. But as its been mentioned before it doesn't seem he has the drive to do that. What a waste of talent if that's true

Summed it up nicely right there. The world is full of people who don't make the most of their talent and we see 1st Rd busts all the time so there is no surprise when a 7th Rd pick doesn't "get it". The 49ers and Chiefs just swapped failed 1st Rd picks.

Regarding what options Lovie had: He stuck with Webb right to the end gambling that he'd get it and focusing on his defense in his last draft. Most importantly, throughout his tenure Lovie failed to create options for himself. He and Angelo couldn't identify and draft talent for the Oline and Lovie could never put together an offensive coaching staff that could develop it.

He and Angelo couldn't identify and draft talent for the Oline and Lovie could never put together an offensive coaching staff that could develop it.

Couldn't agree with your first statement more! I guess we'll never know exactly where the failing was in terms of who to blame more, Lovie or Angelo. I get the feeling Angelo always had linemen on his big board and when the Bears pick came around he looked up and said, "Well, it looks like the best player available is a defensive tackle. Lovie, thoughts?" And Lovie always just nodded in agreement.

I did think Tice got the most out of his line talent. He was good at one thing, working with linemen. He sucked as an OC. But the talent pool there was really shallow because the position was constantly ignored. And when Angelo did get around to drafting a guy for the line, he'd almost always be a bust, often due to injuries.

So it was refreshing to see them take a different route this year in the draft. We may have had a little concern (as a group) about Long up front but I think everyone was, at a minimum, happy they addressed a glaring need. Now it looks like they may have found a gem. Let's hope, anyway.

I get the feeling Angelo always had linemen on his big board and when the Bears pick came around he looked up and said, "Well, it looks like the best player available is a defensive tackle. Lovie, thoughts?" And Lovie always just nodded in agreement.

So how do you explain pick #14 overall in 2008 (Chris Williams) and #29 in 2011 (Carimi)? These two were not touted soley by Angelo alone. Most of the "talking heads" had both rated high during their respective draft classes. Is it simply a case of being snake bit twice? I agree that Lovie could (and maybe should) have said more, but again Offense was not his forte. Trying to help his buds (Martz, Tice and Babich as examples) and taking their word was his downfall.

So it was refreshing to see them take a different route this year in the draft. We may have had a little concern (as a group) about Long up front but I think everyone was, at a minimum, happy they addressed a glaring need. Now it looks like they may have found a gem. Let's hope, anyway.

As far as "busts" go, the jury is still out on Long. Two preseason games does not a career make. Ironically enough though for all the hype that Williams and Carimi garnered during their draft years, Long did not. In fact those "talking heads" were first to question the pick. So maybe, just maybe you have to go against conventional wisdom in order to succeed. Again, time will tell.

Couldn't agree with your first statement more! I guess we'll never know exactly where the failing was in terms of who to blame more, Lovie or Angelo. I get the feeling Angelo always had linemen on his big board and when the Bears pick came around he looked up and said, "Well, it looks like the best player available is a defensive tackle. Lovie, thoughts?" And Lovie always just nodded in agreement.

I did think Tice got the most out of his line talent. He was good at one thing, working with linemen. He sucked as an OC. But the talent pool there was really shallow because the position was constantly ignored. And when Angelo did get around to drafting a guy for the line, he'd almost always be a bust, often due to injuries.

Personally I put blame equally on both. Your right though about injury risk players at top of draft and problem was they made a history of grabbing that guy. Very frustrating.

So how do you explain pick #14 overall in 2008 (Chris Williams) and #29 in 2011 (Carimi)?

Carimi seemed to have that mean streak too. I can't explain it. Bad luck. I think Williams was a known injury risk IIRC so that was Jerry's fault.

As far as "busts" go, the jury is still out on Long.

No question. We'll know a little more Friday and even more halfway through the season. I'm hopeful though, which is better than the "resigned to having a shitty line" feeling I usually have this time of year.

Carimi seemed to have that mean streak too. I can't explain it. Bad luck. I think Williams was a known injury risk IIRC so that was Jerry's fault.

Carimi was a known injury risk coming into the draft too.

I think there was definitely some "this guy wouldn't be available without the injury risk, he's performed great so we're really excited to get him at this pick" going on in both of those guys. The Bears wound up being hurt by both.