Things I think I know

AZ54

Nothing like waiting for final roster cuts with a 4th pre season game coming up where no starters will play. So here are some random thoughts on the upcoming season:

Eagles defense is bad. Chip Kelly offense not so thrilling to me. There has been a ton of hype but I've watched Oregon's offense for years and every time they played a team that matched up to their athletic ability they struggled. The NFL, save for a few teams, is fairly balanced in terms of athletic ability. Throw in some very quick 3-and-outs and the Eagles D will be gasping for air by the end of the 3rd quarter and they aren't good to begin with.

Green Bay Packer fans are thrilled with Eddy Lacy. I see a player who is slow to hit the hole and one who does not have a lot of wiggle to him. The Packers spread offense and Aaron Rodgers will give him some room to run plus he brings power but I don't see someone to worry about here.

Our Oline is actually good. Yes, I said that. Out of boredom I've watched a few preseason games around the league (what else can you watch at 2am?) and while I usually hate to make comparisons from them I will this time. I watched Cards vs. San Diego and we compared very favorably to the Cards Oline, a lot better actually. I know the Cards have issues on their line but so did we last year. I've watched a lot of both teams last year and one got much better on the Oline. Some of the plays against the Raiders we were like men against boys. We didn't win them all and mistakes were made at times. We're not consistently good but the arrow is pointing up here for the first time in years.

AP better run for 2500 yds because Christian Ponder is still his QB.

Devin Hester is back to his old ways and has looked great in preseason. I see his daring style has returned along with that very quick shiftiness he used to have. How long that will last over the course of the season we'll see but I'm optimistic this experiment will work out and I was not that way heading into camp.

If Cornelius Washington can develop into the player his athletic ability suggests he can be, this could be one of our best draft classes ever. Long looks good, Bostic, Green (hasn't done much yet), Mills (completely surprised me how well he's played), Washington (needs a lot of development), and Wilson who looks poised to make the roster. I know it's way too early but I can't remember as many positive plays from so many rookies as I've seen this preseason. Time will tell but I like where we are at with the rookies now far more than I have at this point in previous seasons in a very long time.

Nothing like waiting for final roster cuts with a 4th pre season game coming up where no starters will play. So here are some random thoughts on the upcoming season:

Eagles defense is bad. Chip Kelly offense not so thrilling to me. There has been a ton of hype but I've watched Oregon's offense for years and every time they played a team that matched up to their athletic ability they struggled. The NFL, save for a few teams, is fairly balanced in terms of athletic ability. Throw in some very quick 3-and-outs and the Eagles D will be gasping for air by the end of the 3rd quarter and they aren't good to begin with.

Green Bay Packer fans are thrilled with Eddy Lacy. I see a player who is slow to hit the hole and one who does not have a lot of wiggle to him. The Packers spread offense and Aaron Rodgers will give him some room to run plus he brings power but I don't see someone to worry about here.

Our Oline is actually good. Yes, I said that. Out of boredom I've watched a few preseason games around the league (what else can you watch at 2am?) and while I usually hate to make comparisons from them I will this time. I watched Cards vs. San Diego and we compared very favorably to the Cards Oline, a lot better actually. I know the Cards have issues on their line but so did we last year. I've watched a lot of both teams last year and one got much better on the Oline. Some of the plays against the Raiders we were like men against boys. We didn't win them all and mistakes were made at times. We're not consistently good but the arrow is pointing up here for the first time in years.

AP better run for 2500 yds because Christian Ponder is still his QB.

Devin Hester is back to his old ways and has looked great in preseason. I see his daring style has returned along with that very quick shiftiness he used to have. How long that will last over the course of the season we'll see but I'm optimistic this experiment will work out and I was not that way heading into camp.

If Cornelius Washington can develop into the player his athletic ability suggests he can be, this could be one of our best draft classes ever. Long looks good, Bostic, Green (hasn't done much yet), Mills (completely surprised me how well he's played), Washington (needs a lot of development), and Wilson who looks poised to make the roster. I know it's way too early but I can't remember as many positive plays from so many rookies as I've seen this preseason. Time will tell but I like where we are at with the rookies now far more than I have at this point in previous seasons in a very long time.

I hope Hester shows some old wiggle but I have my doubts and this could turn out be an excellent draft, but need 2 years to verify that. Last year's draft will now have a starter with Frey becoming the nickel back.

Fun post.

I think I know:

This coaching staff is good like we have not seen since Ditka and Buddy.

This team will surprise some folks. (good and bad)

This offense can become a nightmare when the O-line gels and if Cutler plays according to gameplan.

I am as excited as I have been in years to get the dress rehearsals out of the way and see what is really up.

Julius Peppers will get double digit sacks again.

Non Bears:

Seattle's D is nasty good

Peyton Manning will find away to choke in the playoffs again.

Tom Brady will be Tom Brady regardless of who he has running routes

AP will NOT rush for 2K.

Fun post.

I think I know:

This team will surprise some folks. (good and bad)

This offense can become a nightmare when the O-line gels and if Cutler plays according to gameplan.

I am as excited as I have been in years to get the dress rehearsals out of the way and see what is really up.

Non Bears:

Seattle's D is nasty good

Peyton Manning will find away to choke in the playoffs again.

Tom Brady will be Tom Brady regardless of who he has running routes

AP will NOT rush for 2K.

I know its pre-season but it looks like the D will not see a big drop off from the Lovie lead D last year. They have created a lot of turnover this pre-season, I think the announcer said 9 this pre-season. Once Lovie was fired The biggest thing I was worried about was seeing a drop off on D. The D has been our bread and butter for so long I didn't want to see it go away because we have a O minded coach now.

If Trestman and company fix the O and D performs close to what they did last year and most years in the past this team could surprise a lot of people!

Im really excited for the year. More so then in years past.

Interesting post, since you don't seem to have much conviction in your thoughts (more on that in a moment).

Fun post.

I think I know:

I wouldn't go as far as saying this staff is as good as it was when Ditka and Buddy were with the team. Nothing's been done yet...just some intriguing personnel moves. And a 2-2 preseason record...against some garbage teams.

This team will surprise some folks. (bad)

Interesting that you left "bad" as an option.

Here's where things get a little dicey in your post....

All the words bolded are 'passive' remarks. Meaning you don't believe what you wrote. If you did you would have said "This offense WILL..." and "...WHEN Cutler plays..." but there are too many unknowns to make bold predictions.The one that you did was that Peppers "will get double digit sacks". This I agree with. The rest, not so much.

I mean if we really have to ask how well the team will perform against the Cinncinnati Bengals, then maybe we should wait until the game is actually played.

Interesting post, since you don't seem to have much conviction in your thoughts (more on that in a moment).

I wouldn't go as far as saying this staff is as good as it was when Ditka and Buddy were with the team. Nothing's been done yet...just some intriguing personnel moves. And a 2-2 preseason record...against some garbage teams.

Interesting that you left "bad" as an option.

Here's where things get a little dicey in your post....

All the words bolded are 'passive' remarks. Meaning you don't believe what you wrote. If you did you would have said "This offense WILL..." and "...WHEN Cutler plays..." but there are too many unknowns to make bold predictions.The one that you did was that Peppers "will get double digit sacks". This I agree with. The rest, not so much.

I mean if we really have to ask how well the team will perform against the Cinncinnati Bengals, then maybe we should wait until the game is actually played.

I'm now confused. Don't think I went off topic here...

I KNOW:

Forte will have a career year for 3 reasons. 1.) He is healthy. 2.) He finally has holes to run through for the first time in his career. 3.) Trestman loves passing to his running backs.

Career year in yards (1+2), Receiving yards (3) Total Yards (1+2+3) Receptions (3) TDs (2) Receiving TDs (3)

Forte has held back by a horrible line for years, and the only reason he was so bad at short yardage. I honestly think past lines have been seen at decent in the running game due to the pass blocking being so horrible and Forte making them look better.

So yes, I KNOW this will be a career for Forte.

Serious Q: if you wrote that same post last year at the end of August, would you have said "I know Forte isn't healthy"?

How do we know he's more healthy this year than during the last couple?

I didn't say "I know" Forte is healthy this year. I couldn't say that about anyone. It sure looks like he is healthy. He had an excellent preseason. Last year, I definitely wouldn't have said it. He got hurt game 13 the year before and missed the last 3 games with injury. He played a little in preseason. Between his injury, knowing the line, and Mike Tice as OC, it was the first year I advised people to stay away from Forte and didn't draft him in any fantasy football leagues myself.

He also got hurt last year, but it was only game 2 and he missed game. He finished the season with a 100 yard game, which is a far cry from having a season ending injury like the year before.

The main topic of this thread was to be able to proclaim something you KNOW about this team. But you were passive in your remarks, thus not totally convinced.

Here's what I KNOW about this team, from the "devil's advocate" position.

Marc Trestman is the head coach: How long ago was he last in the NFL? Where was he coaching before? Why was he not in the NFL the last 15 (?) years?

Jay Cutler is the Quarterback: When was the last time, or only time, when Jay approached "elite" status? 2008. The year he made the Pro Bowl. Since then he's been a better version of Rex Grossman. The interception laden Dr Jekyll for a game or two then the pro-bowl caliber Mr Hyde the next.

The Chicago Defense: Sure they are one year removed from the record setting team of 2012. The key players on the team; Briggs, Tillman and Peppers are all in their 30's. And no matter how you slice it, neither DJ Williams or Jon Bostic are Urlacher. Could they be? Perhaps. So far we've seen nothing of Williams and although we've seen FLASHES of greatness from Bostic, we've seen more of his humanity than not.

The offensive line is almost 50% rookie. Is that bad? Not necessarily but its not a resounding "I KNOW" they will be stellar.

B. Marshall: Is struggling with his hip surgery recovery. Will it matter during the season? Probably not, but why else was it even brought up? Did we really need to even know it?

M. Bennett: I'm tired of "hoping" and "hearing" he's the solution to the TE position. People tell me he WILL be fine, I'm not so sure. He's inconsistent. The only time he's been productive was when Eli Manning was throwing to him. And Jay Cutler is no Eli.

Phil Emery is the second coming: Ok, maybe that one's a little over the top but so far what has his last two recruit classes done so far? As of today, most have done little.

So to equate them (Emery and Trestman) to what Ditka and Buddy did in the mid-80's is a little over-hyped. There are too many uncertainties to KNOW that this team will excel.

You didn't go off topic. I was hoping to generate some discussion about what people are seeing on our team or among our competition. If we were to go with what we truly know we'd only be talking about what is in the history books but that isn't much fun when the regular season starts in less than a week.

The main topic of this thread was to be able to proclaim something you KNOW about this team. But you were passive in your remarks, thus not totally convinced.

Technically the title of the thread is "Things I THINK I Know" which is passive. And let's be honest, although you made some excellent points in you post, it's hard for any of us to really know much for sure.

I know this, I'm excited to get this season underway so I can confirm some of the things I think I know.

I know this, I'm excited to get this season underway so I can confirm some of the things I think I know.

Prove it, links, sources, or it didn't happen. Unless Emery or Trestman said that you are excited to get this season underway, then I don't believe you.