Bears trying to trade Earl Bennett

AZ54

No link just saw Adam Shefter report it on ESPN NFL Insiders. It's hard to know how aggressive they are with this or if they just did some shopping around to gauge interest.

Ouch. He's worth zilch to any other team. With his injury history he's barley hanging on in Chicago. If not for the link to Cutler I think he'd be done.

If they could get a 5th for him, they might as well.

With the way Phil drafted in this past draft I'd be happy with a 6th or 7th for that matter. I've been a supporter of Earls for awhile now but if guys like Anderson and Wilson have moved ahead of him you might as well take what you can get for him.

Good luck. I don't see antoher team wanting to give us anything but maybe a 7th... $2+M for a guy who never really has been consistent isn't a great bargain to be had.

No link just saw Adam Shefter report it on ESPN NFL Insiders. It's hard to know how aggressive they are with this or if they just did some shopping around to gauge interest.

This type of talk is usually code for a guy who's about to be released. I messed around with that idea before the start of the off-season, but now that the season is about to start, I'd be surprised if they would do it now. They might just be really comfortable with the progression of Marquess Wilson and Joe Anderson.

They probably gave him the option to be traded or take a pay cut. If they can't trade, I look for the latter to occur. No way Earl turns down a pay cut if they can't pull a trade...

A cheaper Earl would be nice. We overpaid for him years ago because we had no other options (bad planning and drafting by people who don't work here anymore). I like him and like having him on the roster when he's healthy but his health is always a big question mark.

What is exciting in a read-between-the-lines way is that we feel Anderson and Wilson are ready to contribute. I say exciting because 1) we developed a UDFA talent relatively quickly in Anderson and 2) we actually drafted someone in the 7th round who looks like he belongs on the field when he plays with the first string.

In 18 months, despite losing Johnny Knox to injury, Emery has rebuilt our WR corps to what appears to be a respectable level. Depth is unproven for sure but throughout this past offseason and through the preseason games addressing the WR position has not been a hot topic on this board.

A cheaper Earl would be nice. We overpaid for him years ago because we had no other options (bad planning and drafting by people who don't work here anymore). I like him and like having him on the roster when he's healthy but his health is always a big question mark.

What is exciting in a read-between-the-lines way is that we feel Anderson and Wilson are ready to contribute. I say exciting because 1) we developed a UDFA talent relatively quickly in Anderson and 2) we actually drafted someone in the 7th round who looks like he belongs on the field when he plays with the first string.

In 18 months, despite losing Johnny Knox to injury, Emery has rebuilt our WR corps to what appears to be a respectable level. Depth is unproven for sure but throughout this past offseason and through the preseason games addressing the WR position has not been a hot topic on this board.

Yeah excellent point. Even the national ppl out there no longer talk about how bad it is. Like yrs ago when Hester was the #1. What emery has done is great. 1 thing national guys talk about now is our size. All our WRs and TEs are huge targets. It really starts with BM but all the way down the roster to onobun. Thus helping out the red zone targets tremendously

I like Earl but he cannot stay healthy and he is not worth the money he is paid. If he is willing to take a pay cut, I would keep him. Otherwise, I like the rest of receivers.

Peace :dabears

Indeed, this team looks incredibly deep at WR. With the game Toliver just had there's a case to be made for 7 WRs making the team. Marshall, Jeffery, Anderson, Wilson, Toliver, Bennett, and I guess Weems(though with the the way Ford looked I think we gets the 3rd RB spot, takes the backup return role, and Weems gets the boot).

Indeed, this team looks incredibly deep at WR. With the game Toliver just had there's a case to be made for 7 WRs making the team. Marshall, Jeffery, Anderson, Wilson, Toliver, Bennett, and I guess Weems(though with the the way Ford looked I think we gets the 3rd RB spot, takes the backup return role, and Weems gets the boot).

I agree with you other than getting rid of Weems, he is on all STs and still has guaranteed money.

Read a tweet earlier today from a Bears media member that Trestman hinted at Marquess Wilson being ahead of Earl Bennett on the depth chart for the #3 position?

We are officially out of the Lovie Smith era. What is a rookie receiver doing contributing in year 1 instead of being redshirted??

Wow that would sure be a huge change of pace

Read a tweet earlier today from a Bears media member that Trestman hinted at Marquess Wilson being ahead of Earl Bennett on the depth chart for the #3 position?

We are officially out of the Lovie Smith era. What is a rookie receiver doing contributing in year 1 instead of being redshirted??

Interesting that he'd be ahead of Anderson as well.