Bears #14 on AP Preseason poll

CrackerDog

http://www.pro32.ap.org/poll

Of course the Giants make it ahead of us. No East Coast bias there! How the HELL are the Patriots #5 on this list?

Patriots should have an easy shot through their division this year. The site has the Jets and Bills as their third and 4th worse team respectively and the Dolphins as the 11th.

The AFC really isn't as strong as the NFC this year. The AFC represents 7 of the 8 worse teams in their rankings. Other than the Broncos, I really can't see an AFC team that deserves to be ranked higher than the Patriots. Given their schedule, I think 5th is fine even if they may not be as good as some of the NFC teams.

I'm more than happy with the Bears being ranked 14. They are in one of the, if not the toughest divisions in the NFL. Two teams from the North made the play offs last year, neither of which were the Bears. Plus, there has been a major overhaul of the team. A coach that has been with the team for nearly 10 years has exited and a completely different philosophy was installed. There has also been a major overhaul of the roster, with a massive amount of turn over.

I personally think the Bears have a shot at the Super Bowl this year. An unbiased nonBears fan however, most likely see those problems and more once Jay Cutler's inconsistencies are thrown in.

I think the Saints and Redskins rankings bother me most.

The AFC really isn't as strong as the NFC this year. The AFC represents 7 of the 8 worse teams in their rankings. Other than the Broncos, I really can't see an AFC team that deserves to be ranked higher than the Patriots. Given their schedule, I think 5th is fine even if they may not be as good as some of the NFC teams.

I guess that's my point. Pats may end up with a better record than many NFC teams but in term of ranking they don't belong. This should be a list of the best odds of winning it all and given all that's changed for the Pats I can't conceivably give them that rank.

With that said, the same goes for all the changes on the Bears.

I guess that's my point. Pats may end up with a better record than many NFC teams but in term of ranking they don't belong. This should be a list of the best odds of winning it all and given all that's changed for the Pats I can't conceivably give them that rank.

With that said, the same goes for all the changes on the Bears.

It could argued they have an easier path to and through the playoffs than NFC teams. They look likely to get a bye, so that's less games over all, and the team I would consider better is led by a QB that chokes in the playoffs.

The Packers, which is the only team I think should be higher, may not even win the division. They are unlikely to get a bye due to the tougher teams they play, and could have to face both the Seahawks and 49ers on their path to the Super Bowl.

Once you get to the Super Bowl anyone can win.

I'll stop there. I hate the Patriots, and definitely don't want to defend how good they are, except for Gronk who will win me my local fantasy football league when he gets healthy.

http://www.pro32.ap.org/poll

Of course the Giants make it ahead of us. No East Coast bias there! How the HELL are the Patriots #5 on this list?

you are kidding, right? In the last 12 years, the Patriots have been to 5 Super Bowls (winning 3), and outside of the superbowls they have been to the conf championship 2 other times. They have lost only 9 regular season games in the last 3 years and during that time have managed to restock the roster with young talent (rebuilding?). Going into this season they have an average age of 25 yrs old. The Pats boast one of the best OLines in the NFL as well as a top running attack. They have some guy named Brady as the QB as well. What have the Broncos done to merrit a 2 or 3 ranking? I have more of a problem with the Bengals and Redskins that high. I also dont think that they should start the rankings until week 5

Top 3 are no-brainers, but it is a crapshoot after that. The AFC is much weaker this year after DEN. NE has a lot of question marks with no Welker, Hernandez, and an injured Gronk. Baltimore is worse, Houston seems to about the same, and I can't see Indy repeating what they did last year. The Bears should be higher than Indy, Houston, and Baltimore for sure.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/powerrankings/_/year/2013/week/1

14 Bears

10-6

Last Week: 13 New offensive-minded head coach Marc Trestman has work to do. The Bears' offense has finished above the bottom 10 in total yards once in the past 11 years.

ESPN has the bears at 14 also. I had no idea about that last stat tho. 11 friggin years, where are you Jim Miller, Shane Mathews, A-Train, and Marty Booker?

FAAAAAART.

Who cares?

In 2006, 0/8 ESPN "experts" picked NO over the Bears.

I agree, I really don't care much for these rankings. I know the media has to do it but they have no clue. If they did they'd all be drafting Pro Bowlers year after year. I could live with a group of top teams and in that sense I believe we belong in the middle of the pack until we prove otherwise.

I could see the Patriots top 10 simply because of Brady and the weak schedule will make them look better than they are but not top 5. They may be the only team that effectively starts out 4-0 because of their division. And you won't find their rose-colored glasses on this Bears board when it comes to discussing Oline issues: http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2013/08/rea...son-week-3.html

I could see the Patriots top 10 simply because of Brady and the weak schedule

I agree with top ten based on Brady, not the schedule. Playing a bunch of cupcakes doesn't make you an inherently good team, it inflates your record. And yes, unfortunately it might make it easier for you to get through the playoffs although I believe the cream tends to rise to the top, barring injuries that might occur in earlier playoff games, of course.

To Boston, yes, I'm serious. The historical information you provide is irrelevant to this year. I just don't see them ranking that high but I guess we'll see. If they play in the AFC title game, I was clearly wrong.

PS. I guess I still have this game on my mind... http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2013082200/2...s&tab=recap

I agree with top ten based on Brady, not the schedule. Playing a bunch of cupcakes doesn't make you an inherently good team, it inflates your record. And yes, unfortunately it might make it easier for you to get through the playoffs although I believe the cream tends to rise to the top, barring injuries that might occur in earlier playoff games, of course.

To Boston, yes, I'm serious. The historical information you provide is irrelevant to this year. I just don't see them ranking that high but I guess we'll see. If they play in the AFC title game, I was clearly wrong.

PS. I guess I still have this game on my mind... http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2013082200/2...s&tab=recap

you just referenced a pre season game...come on man!