Trestman

CrackerDog

It was interesting to hear his post game comments. What I noticed mostly was he seems to have very little ego. He basically said "We made better play calls in the second half on O but even then it was up to Cutler to use his legs twice to get the job done." It's refreshing to hear something like that. I recall previous regimes falling over themselves to claim credit for plays that went well.

In the long run it'll be interesting to see how well his personality fits into this world of huge dollars and huge egos called the NFL. His whole "I just asked them to be good teammates" bit seemed a little naive. But with that said, hell, sometimes simple truths are the best plans. Maybe he can count on the pride of his guys to motivate themselves. A leader like Peanut out there, leading by example, that's great to see. We need more of that from Briggs and probably someone on O, like Cutler. It seems like there's definitely some of that developing in the rookies on the line. Mills being more the quiet type, Long the more vocal, crazier leader. We'll see.

I don't want to get too ahead of myself. It's only one game and this is just a simple observation. Trestman isn't like anyone I've ever seen coach the Bears. Lovie was that laid back guy but often what you heard from him in interviews seemed to be canned responses, a little bit of bullshit, and some ego. Ditka was great but he had a HUGE ego. Wanny seemed pretty fiery but lacked any real cerebral part to his personality. Jauron was quiet too but almost too nice a guy. Trestman seems like he's got more brewing behind the scenes than Dick. And since he's new, the players, the media, etc don't really know what to make of him. He's playing his cards right, IMO, thus far on this front.

Let's hope we've got the nicer version of Bill Belichick here. I'm rooting for his continued success.

It was interesting to hear his post game comments. What I noticed mostly was he seems to have very little ego. He basically said "We made better play calls in the second half on O but even then it was up to Cutler to use his legs twice to get the job done." It's refreshing to hear something like that. I recall previous regimes falling over themselves to claim credit for plays that went well.

In the long run it'll be interesting to see how well his personality fits into this world of huge dollars and huge egos called the NFL. His whole "I just asked them to be good teammates" bit seemed a little naive. But with that said, hell, sometimes simple truths are the best plans. Maybe he can count on the pride of his guys to motivate themselves. A leader like Peanut out there, leading by example, that's great to see. We need more of that from Briggs and probably someone on O, like Cutler. It seems like there's definitely some of that developing in the rookies on the line. Mills being more the quiet type, Long the more vocal, crazier leader. We'll see.

I don't want to get too ahead of myself. It's only one game and this is just a simple observation. Trestman isn't like anyone I've ever seen coach the Bears. Lovie was that laid back guy but often what you heard from him in interviews seemed to be canned responses, a little bit of bullshit, and some ego. Ditka was great but he had a HUGE ego. Wanny seemed pretty fiery but lacked any real cerebral part to his personality. Jauron was quiet too but almost too nice a guy. Trestman seems like he's got more brewing behind the scenes than Dick. And since he's new, the players, the media, etc don't really know what to make of him. He's playing his cards right, IMO, thus far on this front.

Let's hope we've got the nicer version of Bill Belichick here. I'm rooting for his continued success.

what i like is the 'apparent' ability of the offensive coaching staff to actually coach players and make them as good as they can be. trestman seems like a cerebral type of coach which reminds me of a joe gibbs or john madden (football smarts) type of coach. i'll take that type coach any day of the week.

i'm certainly not putting trestman in that category yet but for the first time in bears modern history we MAY have a real head coach that can think offensively with the best of them. what a refreshing idea.

I'm not sure that a lot of us aren't misunderstanding Trestman. I don't think he is as passionless as he may seem at first glance.

Take a karate master. They aren't going to yell at you when they assert to defend themselves. They may calmly look you in the eye and say "If you attack me I will defeat you" and trust me, you're going to get your butt kicked.

I think Trestman provides a moral framework for fully aggressive play. I heard him say something like "If you respect your opponent you must give every ounce of effort you have to defeat them" I recognize that style of thinking. It is certainly controlled, but not passive in the least.

I think Trestman's effect goes beyond Xs and Os and that he will prove to be an excellent emotional leader as well. It may not be readily apparent in sound bytes, but my read of him is that he is a killer competitor. Bill Belichick is similar in seeming emotionless but actually seething with competitive fire, but Trestman is more philosophical than Belichick so they are pretty different too.

I really like where we seem to be heading.

Bill Belichick is similar in seeming emotionless but actually seething with competitive fire, but Trestman is more philosophical than Belichick so they are pretty different too.

Yep, that's why I mentioned Bill. I get that same feeling, albeit VERY early in his career and way too early to tell. I just hope for a nicer version because Bill B is total asshole. I like your word philosophical.

Excellent analysis.

I really couldn't agree more.

Yep, that's why I mentioned Bill. I get that same feeling, albeit VERY early in his career and way too early to tell. I just hope for a nicer version because Bill B is total asshole. I like your word philosophical.

Right on Dude.