After 3 weeks, this is what I'm seeing...

madlithuanian

ABOUT LAST NIGHT: Cutty had his Jimmy Mac moment lowering his shoulder into the DB! Loved it! Hated it! But it all ended well.

OVERALL POSITIVES:

1. We still have an opportunistic D. We are generally bending, but not breaking. Other than the odd big play, we seem to do fairly well keeping folks out of the end zone.

2. I'm thrilled with the OL! We went from awful to good. That's huge. Super huge. Ultra-mega huge.

3. Forte, Marshall, Jeffrey, and trhe Bennetts are getting the job done, and done well. The Unicorn has been a big big plus. I expected the WR's and RB's to look good, but wasn't sure about the Unicorn. I'm very pleased.

4. Cutty is clutch. Horrible for fantasy, but if your fantasy is a SB win, then he might be good for that! He has drastically improved with the play of the line and the coaching.

5. Gould is still the Gold Standard of kicking...

6. The offense and defense rocks the 1st and 4th quarters. The coaching staff need to keep it up and learn to do it all 4 quarters!

OVERALL CONCERNS:

1. Other than running outside, our inside runs look feeble. More Fiametta in the running game blocking please!

2. Bush does not look strong hitting the hole. He looks flat.

3. D line isn't doing it. We've flogged this horse, but it's still a concern.

4. There appears to be some secondary errors in coverage. I hope this gets solved.

5. McLellin is getting pushed around on run coverage. Either he exits those downs or he needs to bulk up.

6. Podlesh is hit & miss. Lucky bouces still do not make good kicks.

7. Hester has looked good 1 of 3 games. Hopeully he can bring it in upcoming games.

8. The offense and defense lulls during quarters 2 & 3, the coaching staff needs to fix this.

Almost ran with something about the movie reference, but I digress.....

I agree with all of your positives, though I personally don't like a bend don't break defense, the 80's era Bears spoiled me with the Buddy Ryan knock the shit out of the opponent defense, but if we can keep the turnover machine running, I am good with it.

Shea isn't doing much for me, why not activate Washington and let him have a crack at it?

What I keep losing in the shuffle is that this offense is a work in process, given the restrictions of a CBA (offseason prep-lack thereof), this offense is still rolling with its training wheels on. I wonder if I should not give the defense the same benefit of the doubt as far as the back 7 since we are with 2 new LB's and a coordinator who is new to our scheme and learning both it and the players on the run.

Just really wish we had more push up front on D.

Ha!

I still think bend don't break is a good thing. We're not offensively challenged anymore. Basically, if we only allow a FG on every possession, we should easily win any game.

I wish our D had more push too...they might get there. but right now, I have to think it's not going to get MUCH better. Better, but not by leaps and bounds. Just keep 'em out of the end zome is my thought...

Almost ran with something about the movie reference, but I digress.....

I agree with all of your positives, though I personally don't like a bend don't break defense, the 80's era Bears spoiled me with the Buddy Ryan knock the shit out of the opponent defense, but if we can keep the turnover machine running, I am good with it.

Shea isn't doing much for me, why not activate Washington and let him have a crack at it?

What I keep losing in the shuffle is that this offense is a work in process, given the restrictions of a CBA (offseason prep-lack thereof), this offense is still rolling with its training wheels on. I wonder if I should not give the defense the same benefit of the doubt as far as the back 7 since we are with 2 new LB's and a coordinator who is new to our scheme and learning both it and the players on the run.

Just really wish we had more push up front on D.

Ha!

I still think bend don't break is a good thing. We're not offensively challenged anymore. Basically, if we only allow a FG on every possession, we should easily win any game.

I wish our D had more push too...they might get there. but right now, I have to think it's not going to get MUCH better. Better, but not by leaps and bounds. Just keep 'em out of the end zome is my thought...

I think our defense line will show improvement going forward, it is the same group that played well last year. As far as Melton goes, that could be a problem, but I actually think Collins was more effective than Melton has been playing. Going forward I would expect Melton to get back to form which wont happen now. I think our defense will not be great, but if we get some big plays every game, cant expect more than that.

Guest TerraTor

Agreed with everything. McClellin is a turd, he is next to useless. Also, the entire Dline outside of Wooten are crap. Funny too, everytime we blitz LBs something huge happens.

I personally think we are an above average FS/SS away from being elite.

The Oline has been nothing short of excellent.I think the running play toss and sweeps need to end though.

The WR/TE corp has been excellent.

Agreed with everything. McClellin is a turd, he is next to useless. Also, the entire Dline outside of Wooten are crap. Funny too, everytime we blitz LBs something huge happens.

I personally think we are an above average FS/SS away from being elite.

Didn't you just contradict yourself, one line to the next? If our D Line is 75% crap, how can we only need a FS/SS to complete the process of becoming elite?