Hated, overused Football speak

Uncle Buck

I was listening to the radio this morning. One of the guests, while discussing the game said something to the effect that there were things that need to be "cleaned up", "corrected", and "coached up".

I'm sorry but I can't stand these three phrases anymore. Cleaned up means squat; if a player at this point in his career can't figure out what his game responsibilities are, then they can't be corrected and maybe, just maybe, the player sucks. Coached up to me signifies that there is some amazing exponential growth potential just sitting there.

I guess what I am saying is these three overused comments make it sound like that some phenomenal change is sitting there to be made, and all will be well once we "clean things up". Well, sometimes, sometimes, the other team is just better than you or at the least that week they just plain kicked your ass.

I am nitpicking, I am just tired of these comments, I don't have an alternative suggestion, but they are just tired, worn, throw away comments.

Use Shea for example, is coaching him up really going to make a difference? I think he is just plain overmatched out there.

Sorry, just some frustrated rambling against Chicago radio. If you are paid to come on and provide insight, leave these three throw aways out of your arsenal. Its insulting to the audience and makes it sound like you are just mailing in your commentary.

Climbing off the soapbox now.....

McCellin looks to be a bust to me. I've seen a lot of him. And really, haven't seen him.

I hope he can be a contributor. But his value for when we picked him was way too much cost for the return we're getting on the investment. Bad pick Phil. Now, just don't do it again.

Next year's draft will be about the DL and the secondary I figure...

I was listening to the radio this morning. One of the guests, while discussing the game said something to the effect that there were things that need to be "cleaned up", "corrected", and "coached up".

I'm sorry but I can't stand these three phrases anymore. Cleaned up means squat; if a player at this point in his career can't figure out what his game responsibilities are, then they can't be corrected and maybe, just maybe, the player sucks. Coached up to me signifies that there is some amazing exponential growth potential just sitting there.

I guess what I am saying is these three overused comments make it sound like that some phenomenal change is sitting there to be made, and all will be well once we "clean things up". Well, sometimes, sometimes, the other team is just better than you or at the least that week they just plain kicked your ass.

I am nitpicking, I am just tired of these comments, I don't have an alternative suggestion, but they are just tired, worn, throw away comments.

Use Shea for example, is coaching him up really going to make a difference? I think he is just plain overmatched out there.

Sorry, just some frustrated rambling against Chicago radio. If you are paid to come on and provide insight, leave these three throw aways out of your arsenal. Its insulting to the audience and makes it sound like you are just mailing in your commentary.

It is a new system with new coaches. There are going to be growing pains. Jimmy Johnson was very good talking about this and how no one should be pushing the panic button in Chicago (at least not offensively) as this was to be expected (in fact, I was impressed how quickly it had came together). The offense will get better and I think with the right moves could turn into a top 7 offensive unit in this league in a year and very well could and should be a top 10 unit this year.

Shea is over matched out there. He's just weak at the point of attack. Can't get off a block, can't defend the run, and doesn't have the elite pass rushing skills to compensate for his weaknesses. He may be playing out of position, or he may just be plain bad.

I think the team might just be at a point now where they'll need to start getting creative to salvage a bad defense. I don't know if it's possible or practical to start changing your defense in the middle of the season, but whatever they are doing now, isn't going to work in the long run. Without a pass rush, you have very little to no chance of winning a Superbowl.

Shea is over matched out there. He's just weak at the point of attack. Can't get off a block, can't defend the run, and doesn't have the elite pass rushing skills to compensate for his weaknesses. He may be playing out of position, or he may just be plain bad.

I think the team might just be at a point now where they'll need to start getting creative to salvage a bad defense. I don't know if it's possible or practical to start changing your defense in the middle of the season, but whatever they are doing now, isn't going to work in the long run. Without a pass rush, you have very little to no chance of winning a Superbowl.

I wonder if it won't be prudent to see what Washington can do, mixing him in with Shea. I don't think it can hurt. The coaches are the ultimate evaluator as they see him in practice every day, but why not?

Next year the Bears should transition to the 3-4. With the potential loss of DJ and Anderson, it makes more sense now than ever. Not only does it get the two young LBs into the game, but it revitalizes McClellin.

If they're not sold on Paea at NT, then draft one. Rotate Peppers, Wooten, and Melton DE. The LB corp of Briggs, Greene, Bostic, and McClellin would be nice.

That looks like a downright scary defense.

Next year the Bears should transition to the 3-4. With the potential loss of DJ and Anderson, it makes more sense now than ever. Not only does it get the two young LBs into the game, but it revitalizes McClellin.

If they're not sold on Paea at NT, then draft one. Rotate Peppers, Wooten, and Melton DE. The LB corp of Briggs, Greene, Bostic, and McClellin would be nice.

That looks like a downright scary defense.

Hmm that actually sounds like a halfway decent idea. Doesn't tie a lot of draft into defense. I still say they should rotate Peanut to Safety. Maybe a 3-4 would be the time for him to do it?

Hmm that actually sounds like a halfway decent idea. Doesn't tie a lot of draft into defense. I still say they should rotate Peanut to Safety. Maybe a 3-4 would be the time for him to do it?

Why not? Unless, of course, they feel he's still good enough at CB. I think he is, but there has to be a time when he loses the step. Maybe then?

I'm not sure what Shea has been up to, but I don't see why you'd all care that much. He's not even a starter. Does he play more than 10 snaps a game?

Unless I am incorrect, he is part of the end rotation. All of them need better production. He has 6 tackles over 4 games. In the context of my original post, the football speak I dislike has been applied to him frequently, my point is I don't think coaching him up is going to get him to be a productive member of the line. I think with his production level, we could get the same out of Cornelius Washington.