Pondering Ponder

Alaskan Grizzly

So was reading on Rotoworld where depending on how well Freeman does in Minnesota, Ponder could very well be released next year. And they pointed out chances are he would not compete for a starting spot. So I ask.. Could he be a fit?

Pluses: two years removed from being a number one pick (young), good numbers at Fla State, strong arm and good speed.

Cons: hx of shoulder and arm injury (throwing), tendency to stare down receivers, indecisive

Wondering aloud if this would be a worthwhile project for Trestman (that is should he be successful in his current project).

So was reading on Rotoworld where depending on how well Freeman does in Minnesota, Ponder could very well be released next year. And they pointed out chances are he would not compete for a starting spot. So I ask.. Could he be a fit?

Pluses: two years removed from being a number one pick (young), good numbers at Fla State, strong arm and good speed.

Cons: hx of shoulder and arm injury (throwing), tendency to stare down receivers, indecisive

Wondering aloud if this would be a worthwhile project for Trestman (that is should he be successful in his current project).

One thing I've noticed over the years is that 1st round QB's, who don't make it with their original team, usually don't make it. Keep in mind that teams expect them to be a "franchise" QB when drafted that high.

Now, if you are talking backup. I'm just ok with that. Generally, I look for a backup prospect to be someone that can be groomed to be the man. So, ideally for me, no.

One thing I've noticed over the years is that 1st round QB's, who don't make it with their original team, usually don't make it. Keep in mind that teams expect them to be a "franchise" QB when drafted that high.

Now, if you are talking backup. I'm just ok with that. Generally, I look for a backup prospect to be someone that can be groomed to be the man. So, ideally for me, no.

I really want us to draft a QB this year to develop (third round or lower).

Peace :dabears

I do not think he was very good at the college level, I was very happy when the Vikings used a 1st to pick him. He hasn't done anything in the NFL but looks like hot crap. I'm with Connor, draft a guy Trestman likes and groom from within.

It doesnt matter what round your drafted in, he has had time to prove the type of player he is , which isnt very good. no way. We need to draft someone that has upside, not grab a player that has tape proving his worth.

It doesnt matter what round your drafted in, he has had time to prove the type of player he is , which isnt very good. no way. We need to draft someone that has upside, not grab a player that has tape proving his worth.

Been waiting for the opportunity to play 'devil's advocate' and stinger comes through to provide it.

So you mean like Alex Smith? (Or even Rich Gannon for that matter).

Alex did prove his worth the past few seasons in SF...in fact, I know some of their fans that wished they kept him...

Gannon was a fluke! It happens...just not very often.

Been waiting for the opportunity to play 'devil's advocate' and stinger comes through to provide it.

Alex did prove his worth the past few seasons in SF...in fact, I know some of their fans that wished they kept him...

Gannon was a fluke! It happens...just not very often.

And to play my own 'adversary', I've been reading that some are glad he's gone. But can't argue against success in KC.

FWIW I'm cool with the idea of the team drafting for a successor IF they address more pressing needs (where have we heard that before?), IF they find the right guy and IF Trestman proves to be what everyone expects him to be.

You didnt ask if I wanted Alex Smith? You can find exceptions to any statement you wish to make. You mentioned Ponder, and I dont see valve in him. He may one day be Rex Grossman a long lasting backup, but dont see him having any kind of impact. I think our next QB needs to be a developmental draft pick. Ponder, because he is a high draft pick will cost a draft pick or will cost more than a 3rd round pick, I ll take the pick.

I don't think a soul here is clamoring for a 1st round pick at QB...

And to play my own 'adversary', I've been reading that some are glad he's gone. But can't argue against success in KC.

FWIW I'm cool with the idea of the team drafting for a successor IF they address more pressing needs (where have we heard that before?), IF they find the right guy and IF Trestman proves to be what everyone expects him to be.