If Cutler's season is over, what do you do next year?

Bears4Ever_34

I'd sign Cutler to a new mid-level contract, one that is written so we can get out of it easily if need be. Of course that means we'll be paying more per season but so be it. There is no way I want to commit to a rookie running Trestman's complex offense. Then I'm drafting a QB in Rd 1-3 to groom as Jay's replacement. If Jay improves or stays on the path he's been on this first part of the season then no worries as he stays our starter and we've got a solid backup.

In general I think we need to go Dline in Rd 1 but if there is a QB there that Trestman believes can be our long term starter then I'm fine if we go get him. If everything goes great and Cutler improves to play at an elite level then there is plenty of precedent for trading your backup QB for another early round draft pick if he has shown some ability.

I know him being "Injury plagued" is a bit of a problem but I'd resign him. Coming into this game he had the 9th best QB rating, 6th most TDs, and 6th highest completion%....and this was supposed to take 3 years to "really mesh" or whatever was said.

i agree. we resign him to a good contract, not an elite contract. he is a good enough qb to win a superbowl and still has about 5 years of solid play, age wise, in the NFL. we DON'T need to start the qb merry-go-round again with or without a high draft pick considering the quality of players on this team and depth.

and injury prone? he is a qb. so what if he has had a knee injury. so what if he has had a groin injury. he is not a running back or a wide receiver. if you were talking about rotator cuff or other shoulder injuries then it may have had some merit but those are nothing injuries that will not effect a qb's game in the long run. i just can't believe anyone would want to flush cutler after only 6 games in a completely new system.

i do say draft a qb in the lower rounds. i have wanted the bears to do this for years even if they have a real starting qb in the fold.

to me here is how we draft next season and a qb isn't even close in the first 3 rounds.

round 1: cornerback - if there is a shutdown cover corner you take him. we have needed one of these for decades. it improves our defense on every level. this is how you beat teams like the pats and packers - shut down their main passing attack and play aggressive in-your-face defense. not the read and react 10 + yard cushion bull shit we have played since lovie arrived.

peanut is on his last leg (literally) as a cb. if they really wanted to extend his career he goes to free safety. if we draft CB in the first we move him and gain a ton in both positions. win/win

round 2: defensive tackle

round 3: safety, offensive guard, or center. the best bang for your buck

round 4: center, guard, or tackle

round 5: linebacker