Are we now in rebuilding mode?

Stinger226

The news will come today on Cutler, if it is season long, are we now rebuilding for the future?

Cutler would be a big loss, but I think our main problem is a porous defense with no bright light in the future.

Our top two playmakers are hurt, hopefully not for long.

Peppers is average at best.

Safeties suck a big one.

Bostic, Bass, Frey, are a few names to watch going forward, but not much in the well.

The end result of bad drafts are showing now with not many backups looking like players. Stars are getting older.

Low lights-Peppers, Wright,Conte, Tillman hurt all the time, lack of depth at DT.

Highlights-entertaining games but, fear will be to many on the wrong side of the score.

Bostic getting better

Maybe Bass can become what SCM was suppose to be.

I think Wotten can sustain a good career.

Paea can be a long time starter.

Briggs maintaining high level of play.

What does the future look like?

Our offense will keep getting better as the games go forward, no Cutler for the rest of the year could cause us to look for a first round QB, which would be bad for the potenial high draft picks we need on defense.

I will rout for this team wins or no wins, just wont be as much fun.

Bright lights-Jefferies is a player, M. Bennett has a future here, Oline keeps getting better, Bostic will turn into a good player, Frey may become a starter at corner, maybe Bass turns into a starter.

Conclusion:

I think Trestman is a good coach and will, no matter who the QB is, keep the offense going in the right direction.

I dont think we can blame Tucker for a lack of depth and lack of talent.

We have to keep drafting better players and may finally get a lower slot to draft them in.All the teams that turned it around had high drafts picks to become there core players.Indy as an example.

Our defense is just going to be bad and we just have to accept it.

Our STs are not very good, but that is something we can keep getting better at as we lift the player talent at the back of the roster.

No matter what the news is on Cutler we will be drafting our QB of the future this year. We just dont know what round we will have to do that yet.

Crystal Ball:

I think Cutler is out for the year, and we franchise him for one year while we develop the QB of the future.

Our draft will include QB,2-DTs,2-safties,2-CBs.

We cut loose of Peppers, Marshall(he just becomes a distraction as we lose he clamors for more money)in the offseason, dont resign Melton or Garza.

Tillman comes back as our FS.

We change to a 3-4 (what a better time to do it than during big turnover of roster)

We resign Wooten, as a 5 technique DE, SCM goes to LB where he belongs, Frey is one of our CBs, CJ Wilson becomes our NB, we resign Slausson as our OC and Brown becomes the starter at LG.

Paea to the other end position? Dont know if that will work or not.

Our LBs are Green,Bostic,Briggs,SCM. we have Washington and Bass in the wings as a rush LBs.

Our defense will still be bad but at least we have young players in positions to improve going forward.

Our offense keeps getting better with or without Cutler.

I will rout for this team no matter what, hopeful for wins.

The news will come today on Cutler, if it is season long, are we now rebuilding for the future?

Cutler would be a big loss, but I think our main problem is a porous defense with no bright light in the future.

Safeties suck a big one.

Bostic, Bass, Frey, are a few names to watch going forward, but not much in the well.

The end result of bad drafts are showing now with not many backups looking like players. Stars are getting older.

Low lights-Peppers, Wright,Conte, Tillman hurt all the time, lack of depth at DT.

Highlights-entertaining games but, fear will be to many on the wrong side of the score.

Bostic getting better

Our offense will keep getting better as the games go forward, no Cutler for the rest of the year could cause us to look for a first round QB, which would be bad for the potenial high draft picks we need on defense.

Bright lights-Jefferies is a player, M. Bennett has a future here, Oline keeps getting better, Bostic will turn into a good player, Frey may become a starter at corner, maybe Bass turns into a starter.

Conclusion:

I think Trestman is a good coach and will, no matter who the QB is, keep the offense going in the right direction.

We have to keep drafting better players and may finally get a lower slot to draft them in.All the teams that turned it around had high drafts picks to become there core players.Indy as an example.

Our STs are not very good, but that is something we can keep getting better at as we lift the player talent at the back of the roster.

No matter what the news is on Cutler we will be drafting our QB of the future this year. We just dont know what round we will have to do that yet.

Crystal Ball:

I think Cutler is out for the year, and we franchise him for one year while we develop the QB of the future.

We cut loose of Peppers, Marshall(he just becomes a distraction as we lose he clamors for more money)in the offseason, dont resign Melton or Garza.

We change to a 3-4 (what a better time to do it than during big turnover of roster)

We resign Wooten, as a 5 technique DE, SCM goes to LB where he belongs, Frey is one of our CBs, CJ Wilson becomes our NB, we resign Slausson as our OC and Brown becomes the starter at LG.

Our LBs are Green,Bostic,Briggs,SCM. we have Washington and Bass in the wings as a rush LBs.

Our defense will still be bad but at least we have young players in positions to improve going forward.

Honestly I thought that we were in the rebuilding phase as it was. I like the potential of jumping to a 3-4 after this season, then we can really see what SMC has.

We are in a retooling phase. The offense has a ton of weapons and i don't see how you necessarily rebuild with this sort of offensive firepower. I hope Cutler is okay cause he was looking like a guy that might be the franchise QB we expected him to be. I don't see why you don't invest in him (even if it is a severe injury) as it will save money and the Bears can then focus this off-season on making the defense younger (and looking for a center to replace Garza). We have one of the top scoring offenses in the NFL this year and it was going to keep getting better (that might not be the case now if we don't have Cutler in the huddle).

We should always be building...

You make a lot of great points, but it's just too much to digest without knowing some of the exacts on injuries.

The D is beyond poor. Not sure if anything really can be done at this point, but something tells me it can be salvaged. Give Steltz a chance at this point at minumum... Sell out on stopping the run. At least we'll only get burned on passing and not on both then... Something. We need to stop the bleeding.

Safeties suck a big one.

Bostic getting better

Conclusion:

Crystal Ball:

Safeties suck a big one.

Bostic getting better

Conclusion:

Crystal Ball:

Started loosing me at cutting Marshall, he's our best WR and I don't feel he is or will be the big distraction people want to make him out to be. I do agree that Melton will be gone, I wouldn't be opposed to keeping Garza as a backup, he's done well at center since Kruetz left. I think the offense is heading in the right direction and we need to keep building that, but I only see minor tweaks going forward needed for the line to add quality youth and continue to get younger there.

I think what people miss in this clamoring to jump to a 3-4 because we have the guys to play LB in that system, to make that system work you need big disruptive tackles. Even if all our guys are healthy, Angelo tended to draft smaller guys at tackle focusing on speed. Rather than the beefier guys. We haven't had a dominant presence in the middle since Harris before his knee gave out. Not saying I'm opposed to it if we can bring in the personal to run it either from the draft or FA. Tucker does have experience with the 3-4. I think we have to be smart about it and not just change for the sake of change. That said the opportunity for change may be there as we are looking at a major overhaul of the Defensive personal in the near future. I'm sure that If Emery, Trestman, and Tucker feel that it can be done and improve our D they'll consider it.

The Bears have many different ways they can approach the offseason, but I've condensed it down to 3.

#1- Partial rebuild

- Keep offensive personel the same

- Use draft picks to rebuild the defense

- Cut ties with Melton and Peppers to free up a little money to franchise Cutler and perhaps re-sign Jennings and Tillman to modest deals.

- Compete next season

#2- 3/4 rebuild

- Cut ties with Cutler, Melton, and Peppers

- Draft a QB in round 1

- Use the rest of the picks for defense

- Attempt to compete next season with a young QB, expect growing pains (fringe playoff team with the arrow pointing ^^)

#3- Complete rebuild

- Cut/trade everybody (Briggs, Tillman, Jennings, Melton, Cutler, Peppers, Marshall etc..)

- Stockpile draft picks

- Draft a QB in round 1

- Suck for another year, but use two drafts to brighten your future with young, talented players.

Can't tell if this is Soxtalk or talkbears???

Much like the White Sox have good pitching so they don't need to go into a full rebuild, the Bears have a good offense so they just need to re-tool the defense. Much like what they did with the OL this year I think they could do the same with the D next year.

Can't tell if this is Soxtalk or talkbears???

Much like the White Sox have good pitching so they don't need to go into a full rebuild, the Bears have a good offense so they just need to re-tool the defense. Much like what they did with the OL this year I think they could do the same with the D next year.

Since you and I are both WS fans, what do you think about the Cuban and the place Dunn or Konerco play in our future?

Started loosing me at cutting Marshall, he's our best WR and I don't feel he is or will be the big distraction people want to make him out to be. I do agree that Melton will be gone, I wouldn't be opposed to keeping Garza as a backup, he's done well at center since Kruetz left. I think the offense is heading in the right direction and we need to keep building that, but I only see minor tweaks going forward needed for the line to add quality youth and continue to get younger there.

I think what people miss in this clamoring to jump to a 3-4 because we have the guys to play LB in that system, to make that system work you need big disruptive tackles. Even if all our guys are healthy, Angelo tended to draft smaller guys at tackle focusing on speed. Rather than the beefier guys. We haven't had a dominant presence in the middle since Harris before his knee gave out. Not saying I'm opposed to it if we can bring in the personal to run it either from the draft or FA. Tucker does have experience with the 3-4. I think we have to be smart about it and not just change for the sake of change. That said the opportunity for change may be there as we are looking at a major overhaul of the Defensive personal in the near future. I'm sure that If Emery, Trestman, and Tucker feel that it can be done and improve our D they'll consider it.

I was looking forward and just threw out a lot of randon thoughts. If we decide to go forward with a high drafted QB not Jay Cutler, I was thinking that wouldnt settle well with Marshall and he would be a pain in the ass with the new QB. We have many people to sign at a lot of spots on defense, and with the attempt to bring back Briggs, Tillman at reduced wages, I think his contract will be counter productive going forward. I dont want to lose him but think we will have a lot of dead money on the books with getting rid of Peppers that we may have to lose his contract. Jefferies is a similar player(not as close to as good)but we may need his cap space. Money next year will be hard to come by with so many spots to fill, not just starters but upgrading the backups.Forte, Bennett, and Bushrod are still big contracts to deal with.

The 3-4 thought was our strongest position top to bottom will be LB going forward, with Briggs probably being brought back, Greene,SMC as a LB(he sure aint got it as a DE), Washington as a 3-4 OLB and Bostic, it might be easier to change to a 3-4. The key will be to find a couple of NTs and if Wooten and Paea being able to play DE in a 3-4.Whether we go to a 3-4 or stick with the 4-3 we still need Safties, CBs, and a couple of DTs .

Since you and I are both WS fans, what do you think about the Cuban and the place Dunn or Konerco play in our future?

Jose Abreu or what I'm nicknaming him before Hawk does, Bazooka Jo, should be pretty good. Put up better numbers in Cuba than Puig did so it's realistic to think he's better than Puig who was damn good last year.

PK is a goner and Dunn will stick out this year and will be gone next year.

As for the Bears D next year....

I'm cutting Peppers- This saves what 8-9M in cap space?

Resigning Melton/Collins- Probably gonna be around 6-7M for both

Signing Micheal Bennett(Martys bro)- Another 5M

Resign Tillman and move him to safety- 3M

Resign Jennings if he takes a discount- 3M

Draft

1R- CB

2R- Safety

3R- DL

Jose Abreu or what I'm nicknaming him before Hawk does, Bazooka Jo, should be pretty good. Put up better numbers in Cuba than Puig did so it's realistic to think he's better than Puig who was damn good last year.

PK is a goner and Dunn will stick out this year and will be gone next year.

As for the Bears D next year....

I'm cutting Peppers- This saves what 8-9M in cap space?

Resigning Melton/Collins- Probably gonna be around 6-7M for bothSigning Micheal Bennett(Martys bro)- Another 5M

Resign Tillman and move him to safety- 3M

Resign Jennings if he takes a discount- 3M

Draft

1R- CB

2R- Safety

3R- DL

I like most of what you laid out here but the question regarding the bolded area. With both Melton and Collins presumably returning from ACL injuries, is there a risk to signing both back? Chances are they won't have issues but you're talking about two sizable dudes that are in the trenches needing mass leverage. I fear one or both will have another blow out.

I found this interesting:

''We've worked trades here the last couple of weeks, we just haven't found the correct combination of value and player exchange,'' Emery said.

At this point I would almost rather have a 5-11 or 6-10 season where we are getting a decent draft pick vs almost the guaranteed 8-8 and 9-7 with no playoffs anyway. Looking at the NFC picture, SEA or SF will have one WC, so if we get the other we have to beat out either GB or DET. GB has injuries, but continues to win. DET has 10-11 game potential.

I would most definitely not re-sign Henry Melton. I wasn't in favor of giving him the franchise tag this year because his success at DT was heavily reliant upon Julius Peppers being his usual disruptive self taking on double teams. He's not a Nhdamakung Suh that can dominate a game by himself. Now he's coming off season ending ACL surgery. Doesn't make any sense to me to re-sign him now.

Only at a good price...

We don't have much options. We can't draft 3 DL, 2 LB, 1 CB, and 2 S's...

I would most definitely not re-sign Henry Melton. I wasn't in favor of giving him the franchise tag this year because his success at DT was heavily reliant upon Julius Peppers being his usual disruptive self taking on double teams. He's not a Nhdamakung Suh that can dominate a game by himself. Now he's coming off season ending ACL surgery. Doesn't make any sense to me to re-sign him now.

Was Peppers really disruptive last year though? He had a few good games but he certainly wasn't dominate.

Melton offers you high upside at a discounted price, that's something the Bears should be looking to bring back. You cover your ass by drafting another DT high and hope he gets back to playing at a pro bowl level.

I'm getting rid of Peppers and replacing him with Micheal Bennett who has a chance to be dominate.

And I don't like spending all draft picks on 1 side of the ball either .

I wouldn't hate it if they did it. You can argue that they need to draft a speed WR and a backup QB but I can rebut that they were the 3rd highest scoring team in the league without a speed receiver, and we have a simple enough offense that a guy like McCown can run it competently.

Garza looks better with better OGs around him as well so the need for OC isn't as high as some may think.

But ya, I say you go defense at least the first 3 rounds. Gotta get a safety, a corner, and a DT early IMO.

Was Peppers really disruptive last year though? He had a few good games but he certainly wasn't dominate.

He was disruptive enough to consistently bring double teams. Without that guy, Melton's numbers don't look as good, and I'm not convinced he would have played nearly as good this year, had he been healthy, without Peppers commanding doubles. I've always felt like Melton's pass rushing ability was overrated. You are probably not going to find many teams throwing money at Melton this year while he's recovering from ACL surgery. The Bears shouldn't either. Only way I would keep him around is if the contract is cap friendly, and still allows us to sign other guys who fill needs.

Quite frankly, I'm sick of 3 technique crap anyways. If you can find me the next Tommie Harris, I'll take him, but otherwise get me a bunch of fatties that can clog the middle and allow the young LB'ers to have free reign to make tackles.

The 3 technique is supposedly the key to a cover 2 defense. If you've got 2 fatties in the middle you've gotta get good pressure from the ends and you gotta get pressure from your LBs which they certainly can do if it's part of the plan. The year we had Traylor/Washington they got 18 sacks out their LB core which seems like a ton compared to recent years.

I'd love to see Louis Nix fall to us in the first, which seems like a possibility now.

I would rather have Collins at a reduced valve, he plays the run better.

The 3 technique is supposedly the key to a cover 2 defense. If you've got 2 fatties in the middle you've gotta get good pressure from the ends and you gotta get pressure from your LBs which they certainly can do if it's part of the plan. The year we had Traylor/Washington they got 18 sacks out their LB core which seems like a ton compared to recent years.

I'd love to see Louis Nix fall to us in the first, which seems like a possibility now.

Yeah I would love me some nix.

Draft Will Sutton out of ASU to be backup 3 technique, he should be available in 3rd or 4th Rd.

I was listening to the Score this morning, and they were talking about an insider(who knows how valid that is) that stated that Emery and Trestman are prepared to move on without Cutler in the coming year. That Trestman's system doesnt need a strong arm Farve type QB, that a mobile, smart, consistent decision making QB will work this fine and can be gotten in this draft way cheaper than Cutler will cost going forward. In some ways that makes sense. Gannon wasnt a strong armed guy. The QB in Canada was a dink and dunk type thrower. The money we would have to pay Cutler even at a reduced rate, could be used to upgrade a pitiful defense. One good draft(the jury is still out on Emery) and a few key FA signings could go a long way to improving our team overall. I am not sure I am sold on moving on with out Cutler but it is an interesting thought to ponder.

2014 QBs: 3rd round possibilities A.J. McCarren-ALA

Thomas-VT

Renner-NC

These are QBs not rated as high that has some of the qualities that Trestman might be looking for.

Big dudes in the middle is the way to go...