Are we now in rebuilding mode?

Stinger226

I was listening to the Score this morning, and they were talking about an insider(who knows how valid that is) that stated that Emery and Trestman are prepared to move on without Cutler in the coming year. That Trestman's system doesnt need a strong arm Farve type QB, that a mobile, smart, consistent decision making QB will work this fine and can be gotten in this draft way cheaper than Cutler will cost going forward. In some ways that makes sense. Gannon wasnt a strong armed guy. The QB in Canada was a dink and dunk type thrower. The money we would have to pay Cutler even at a reduced rate, could be used to upgrade a pitiful defense. One good draft(the jury is still out on Emery) and a few key FA signings could go a long way to improving our team overall. I am not sure I am sold on moving on with out Cutler but it is an interesting thought to ponder.

2014 QBs: 3rd round possibilities A.J. McCarren-ALA

Thomas-VT

Renner-NC

These are QBs not rated as high that has some of the qualities that Trestman might be looking for.

Sigh, right when Cutler was putting up a year we expected out of him we are gonna dump him? I'm not waiting till the 3rd round to draft a starting QB, if we're drafting one it's gotta be a first or maybe a 2nd rounder. They've built too good an offense to rely on a 3rd round draft pick.

Big dudes in the middle is the way to go...

We'll see, gotta have good ends that will create pressure on the QB. I like Wootton but I'm not sure if Peppers is that guy any more. We know SMC isn't that guy, then you have question marks in Washington and Bass.

And the LBs would have to come more often which might not be a a bad thing. You also gotta factor in how different the game is when it comes to the TE position. If you're bringing heat from the LBs it's gonna put a lot of pressure on whoever has to cover the TE.

All that's a given with ends, LB's, etc... I just want big beefy monsters in the middle. Other than the odd Tommie Harris or the odd Warren Sapp...big bodies seem to do the trick.

We'll see, gotta have good ends that will create pressure on the QB. I like Wootton but I'm not sure if Peppers is that guy any more. We know SMC isn't that guy, then you have question marks in Washington and Bass.

And the LBs would have to come more often which might not be a a bad thing. You also gotta factor in how different the game is when it comes to the TE position. If you're bringing heat from the LBs it's gonna put a lot of pressure on whoever has to cover the TE.

I was listening to the Score this morning, and they were talking about an insider(who knows how valid that is) that stated that Emery and Trestman are prepared to move on without Cutler in the coming year. That Trestman's system doesnt need a strong arm Farve type QB, that a mobile, smart, consistent decision making QB will work this fine and can be gotten in this draft way cheaper than Cutler will cost going forward. In some ways that makes sense. Gannon wasnt a strong armed guy. The QB in Canada was a dink and dunk type thrower. The money we would have to pay Cutler even at a reduced rate, could be used to upgrade a pitiful defense. One good draft(the jury is still out on Emery) and a few key FA signings could go a long way to improving our team overall. I am not sure I am sold on moving on with out Cutler but it is an interesting thought to ponder.

Thomas-VT

Renner-NC

These are QBs not rated as high that has some of the qualities that Trestman might be looking for.

I find it hard to believe that Emery and Trestman have made that decision already, if by the end of the season this offense is unstoppable you couldn't walk away from Cutler. If Cutler is still playing at the same level as the first 5 weeks I see it being a possibility. All tho Cutler's stats from the first 5 weeks all looked really good except for the INT's.

I also agree with a previous post, if they are going not resign Cutler you cant wait till the third round to draft a QB.

Knowing my luck we will draft Manzel..... Guy is good but I think he is a total douche bag.

Thomas-VT

Renner-NC

I don't know why I like McCaron, but I just do. Smart, accurate, nice delivery, good mechanics.. He wouldn't be in my top 5 wish list for quarterbacks, but as a 3rd rounder? Could do worse.

Knowing my luck we will draft Manzel..... Guy is good but I think he is a total douche bag.

Johnny is another guy that is a risk as a 1st round pick, not because of his ability, but because of his size and off-field issues. Kid is about as high risk/high reward as they come. I would not cross him off my list, though.

I find it hard to believe that Emery and Trestman have made that decision already, if by the end of the season this offense is unstoppable you couldn't walk away from Cutler. If Cutler is still playing at the same level as the first 5 weeks I see it being a possibility. All tho Cutler's stats from the first 5 weeks all looked really good except for the INT's.

I also agree with a previous post, if they are going not resign Cutler you cant wait till the third round to draft a QB.

From what I heard they didnt say for sure they were moving on, just have the scope to do that if things regress instead of progress.

If we move on give me marriota or mccarron. Im not a fan of manziel

Big Marriota fan but I think Chip Kelly and the Eagles take him.

Idk about Mccarron, I think he may be a product of the system.

A kid I'm looking at is Jimmy Garoppolo, I've read that some scouts think he's a first round QB, but CBS has him as a 3-4 round pick so it's really tough to say where he'll go. Don't let the small school fool you, the kid sounds legit. Local kid too.

"Good-sized, rhythm quarterback with excellent accuracy, timing and a quick release that really helps him be efficient from the pocket. Sets up quickly and shows good lower body movement skills to evade pressure and deliver from different platforms."

A kid I'm looking at is Jimmy Garoppolo, I've read that some scouts think he's a first round QB, but CBS has him as a 3-4 round pick so it's really tough to say where he'll go. Don't let the small school fool you, the kid sounds legit. Local kid too.

"Good-sized, rhythm quarterback with excellent accuracy, timing and a quick release that really helps him be efficient from the pocket. Sets up quickly and shows good lower body movement skills to evade pressure and deliver from different platforms."

Very interesting. Like what I read and really like how each yr he's gotten better. But I can't go 1st rd on guy who's never faced top competition. Rounds like a guy I wouldn't mind taking a flier on in rd 4. I'm not saying I think he will last til then at all. Just giving my opinion of when I would take him

I like Jimmy G , seen him play against NIU, and he has game.6-3 222, same size as Cutler. He is not flying under the radar to scouts. He will be drafted late second or early 3rd which may or may not be available to us. I dont think we go with a drafted QB until either the 3rd or 4th round.