Marshall says Cutler will be back in 2 weeks

GakMan23

Easy for him to say that now. Lets see how that muscle feels when he actually attempts to take snaps, change directions, and load off that back foot to make a pass. I'd be shocked if he plays before the 4 weeks are up, and even then it's not a given. Then once he gets on the field, how productive will he be? Usually takes several weeks after coming back before you can get back to form, if at all. Since this is a contract year for Cutler, you can bet he's going to make every attempt to get back on the field as fast as he can.

Easy for him to say that now. Lets see how that muscle feels when he actually attempts to take snaps, change directions, and load off that back foot to make a pass. I'd be shocked if he plays before the 4 weeks are up, and even then it's not a given. Then once he gets on the field, how productive will he be? Usually takes several weeks after coming back before you can get back to form, if at all. Since this is a contract year for Cutler, you can bet he's going to make every attempt to get back on the field as fast as he can.

That's exactly the concern. He wants to prove himself, which is admirable, but at what cost? He should know if the team would like to keep him around that they can franchise him and give him one more shot at it, or as mentioned previous, give the team a sweetheart deal of an extension.

As Daventry pointed out at some point he needs to consider his long term health. He resumed (in my opinion haphazardly) his career after gettting his most recent of concussions so I don't doubt he'll try again here.

And Adam hear you on the injury. I had a grade 2 tear of my quad about 2-3 years ago and it slowed me down something fierce. Wasn't really painful but leg was lame for all intents and purposes. From what I hear groin pulls/tears are brutal. Can only imagine.

That's exactly the concern. He wants to prove himself, which is admirable, but at what cost? He should know if the team would like to keep him around that they can franchise him and give him one more shot at it, or as mentioned previous, give the team a sweetheart deal of an extension.

As Daventry pointed out at some point he needs to consider his long term health. He resumed (in my opinion haphazardly) his career after gettting his most recent of concussions so I don't doubt he'll try again here.

And Adam hear you on the injury. I had a grade 2 tear of my quad about 2-3 years ago and it slowed me down something fierce. Wasn't really painful but leg was lame for all intents and purposes. From what I hear groin pulls/tears are brutal. Can only imagine.

I know next to nothing about such injuries but would much prefer our QB, who although I have been critical of at times in the past, has overall done an admirable job and could still be a great one, take his time and take care of himself before he rushes back.

Let's face it, we are not going to the big game this year, Cutler has more upside than any options I can think of, so why not rest him up and get him healthy for next year….

Not to mention, let's not let our guys maim themselves to win games. I would not feel good about seeing a guy out there who was jeopardising his long-term health.

I agree he should take the time needed to fully heal before risking further injury just to prove a point. From what I've heard/read that it takes time for a tear like that to scar and strengthen to where re-injury is far less likely. What I'd like to see happen is that he takes the 4 weeks as Emery stated, means he'll miss:

Wk 8 (bye)

Wk 9 @ GB

Wk 10 home vs Lions

Wk 11 home vs Ravens

After that evaluate if he needs more time or not. I've read that it could be anywhere between 2 weeks to 6 weeks. And that according to one article he was seen walking around normally and you wouldn't know he's injured, maybe that's where Marshall's comments come from, but just because he isn't limping or hobbling doesn't mean the injury is miraculously healed. Walking around is a lot different than running, jumping, dropping back, planting and throwing a football with velocity. If he returns after 4 weeks he would return to play at St. Louis on field turf, which doesn't give like grass and a hard plant on that turf if it's not fully healed could put him at risk for re-injury. I would actually prefer he takes the 6 weeks returning for the Monday nighter vs the Cowboys. That will give him the 4 weeks to where he might be ready to chance it plus two weeks to make sure it's good and healed. For his own sake I don't want to see him hurry out there and make it worse.

Wk 12 @ Rams (artificial surface)

Wk 13 @ Vikings (artificial surface)

Wk 14 home vs Cowboys grass (where I hope he returns)

IMO while we can't overreact to what McCown did in the second half vs the Skins 31 points, I think it should give us, the bears, and Jay reason to not rush back. For a guy to come in not having had the reps in practice come in and run the offense the way he did is comforting. Do I expect us to put up 40 + points week in and week out with McCown? No be cause we won't be facing that crappy of a D every week. What I do think he can do is keep the ship afloat till the captain returns. I think the scenario doesn't change here. We still have an offense that is potent and can put up points and a D that has trouble stopping anyone. What I liked out of that game is consistency, throughout the second half we didn't score a couple TD's then disappear for a while, but for the whole second half we went toe to toe matching TD for TD. I was glad to be wrong about McCown coming in, when Jay went down I basically said "game over." I have enough confidence in Josh to carry the team till Jay is ready to come back.

It won't be easy GB and Detroit going to score so we'll need to keep pace, the ravens are struggling, as are the Rams and Vikings. If we can go 3-2 or better with McCown that's all you can ask.