Better off w/o Briggs calling plays?

madlithuanian

I'm really just throwing this out there to play Devil's Advocate...

But I had a chat w/ a freind who's a Bears fans and he thought it might be possible that Briggs is a horrific play caller. His playe is obviously excellent...but maybe, just maybe...he's not remotely a defensive leader. Could our struggles be a result of him putting guys in bad positions, unlike Url, who put them in good positions, etc.

I'm not sure GB and DET are the games to test that odd concept. But I think the Ravens could be a test...

I really don't think there's much vaidity to it, but just thought I'd throw it on the wall and see if it sticks...

I'm really just throwing this out there to play Devil's Advocate...

But I had a chat w/ a freind who's a Bears fans and he thought it might be possible that Briggs is a horrific play caller. His playe is obviously excellent...but maybe, just maybe...he's not remotely a defensive leader. Could our struggles be a result of him putting guys in bad positions, unlike Url, who put them in good positions, etc.

I'm not sure GB and DET are the games to test that odd concept. But I think the Ravens could be a test...

I really don't think there's much vaidity to it, but just thought I'd throw it on the wall and see if it sticks...

There actually is some (although beit small) validity to it. In fact a few years ago when Urlacher was lost for most if the season it was observed that the D not only underperformed in Urls absence, but the positioning was not as good. There is no doubt the team misses Url for a variety of reasons, one of them was his ability to recognize and properly align the D.

So that being said, what are the alternatives? The other "veteran" LBs have only been with the team for this year and of those one is out for the remainder of it. Bostic and Greene are rookies and Costanzo has been a ST player for most of his stint. The only other 'viable' option might be Tillman (given his seniority and familiarity) but obviously being a CB takes him out of consideration.

I hadn't thought about that... Interesting.

My thought is give it to Bostic. let him see if he can rise above...

There actually is some (although beit small) validity to it. In fact a few years ago when Urlacher was lost for most if the season it was observed that the D not only underperformed in Urls absence, but the positioning was not as good. There is no doubt the team misses Url for a variety of reasons, one of them was his ability to recognize and properly align the D.

So that being said, what are the alternatives? The other "veteran" LBs have only been with the team for this year and of those one is out for the remainder of it. Bostic and Greene are rookies and Costanzo has been a ST player for most of his stint. The only other 'viable' option might be Tillman (given his seniority and familiarity) but obviously being a CB takes him out of consideration.

Also I don't know how easy it is to do from the OLB position. That has to be a harder position/perspective to make calls from and it may even make him be out of position on certain plays.

I think most of the calls are predetermined, according to offensive formations. There is some immediate input but the coaches would make the adjustments if he wasnt calling what he was suppose to.

I agree there is probably some truth to this but I also think there is a bigger part where the new guys just don't know how to adapt the defensive calls based on offensive alignment. Briggs can't exactly run around talking to each player just before the snap. As players have said, they need to learn it and execute it.

I agree there is probably some truth to this but I also think there is a bigger part where the new guys just don't know how to adapt the defensive calls based on offensive alignment. Briggs can't exactly run around talking to each player just before the snap. As players have said, they need to learn it and execute it.

This is what's going on. I predicted it before the season started. In a one gap system, it takes time for new players to learn their run fits.

Also, some people, even if they are in the right hole, are getting blown out by superior blockers. That's because of the rash of injuries on the DL specifically at DT.

I don't blame Briggs for this at all.

He doesn't need to talk to each player. I agree that before the play starts the coordinator sends in the play based on what more than likely is going to happen on the offense. These "guesses" are predicated on the previous week's film study (of the opposition), scouting and percentage of what they will do. IE: 3rd and long means probably a pass play of some sort. In this case you would probably do a nickel or dime formation. Or if it were 3rd and short you'd stack for the run.

Once the play is called into the 'defensive QB' (this case Briggs) he tells the team what it is during the huddle. Oncd they break huddle he's reading the offensive line up to see where shifts are needed, if any. IE: Two wide, one tight, two

Back set might mean shift LBs to strong side and bring a corner or safety for the weak side blitz. This type of adjustment is made on the fly (audible if you will) and called out by what the defensive play caller recognizes.

These are the things I don't think Briggs is as good as Urlacher was at. The recognition and timeliness of getting the right people in the right spot.

If a player is saying 'they need to learn the position' that's true but probably because they recognize Briggs isn't Urlacher.

I thought they made gap adjustments at the line as well, which could be why we are getting thrashed in the running game. It seems like the other team gets a huge gain or a loss, no real in between.

Yes. Finally. This is exactly what's happening. It happened in Urlacher's first year too. I predicted it on this board at the beginning of the season.

A one gap front has 8 guys responsible for 8 holes. A two gap, like most of the league plays, is where the DL is responsible for the gap on either side of him. In a 2 gap, the LBs are like little safeties. The are a second line of defense, and the safeties are the 3rd line.

In our front, there is no second line of defense. THe good of it is that the DL doesnt have to stay where he is to read holes, he can get right upfield into his gap. This theoretically means more plays for losses and more pressure on the QB. It deosn't leave room for error when someone is out of their gap or gets beat. In that case, the first man to make the stop will be a safety for an 8 yard run. We saw a lot of those early with Lovie too, until players learned their gaps.

That we've had injuries and new players, both free agents in their first year, and pickups to replace injuries, means that we see more of this. When it works, its no gain. When it doesn't, it's 8 yards.

The good news is that football rewards consistency (gotta keep making 1st downs) more than inconsistency with big plays, so a few no gian plays sets up passing situations, and then we can pass rush.

Problem is, people are out of gaps, and frankly, some people in gaps are just plain getting beaten too. emery did well with the LB & OL groups. Im sure he'll work hard on the DL next year.

Yes. Finally. This is exactly what's happening. It happened in Urlacher's first year too. I predicted it on this board at the beginning of the season.

A one gap front has 8 guys responsible for 8 holes. A two gap, like most of the league plays, is where the DL is responsible for the gap on either side of him. In a 2 gap, the LBs are like little safeties. The are a second line of defense, and the safeties are the 3rd line.

In our front, there is no second line of defense. THe good of it is that the DL doesnt have to stay where he is to read holes, he can get right upfield into his gap. This theoretically means more plays for losses and more pressure on the QB. It deosn't leave room for error when someone is out of their gap or gets beat. In that case, the first man to make the stop will be a safety for an 8 yard run. We saw a lot of those early with Lovie too, until players learned their gaps.

That we've had injuries and new players, both free agents in their first year, and pickups to replace injuries, means that we see more of this. When it works, its no gain. When it doesn't, it's 8 yards.

The good news is that football rewards consistency (gotta keep making 1st downs) more than inconsistency with big plays, so a few no gian plays sets up passing situations, and then we can pass rush.

Problem is, people are out of gaps, and frankly, some people in gaps are just plain getting beaten too. emery did well with the LB & OL groups. Im sure he'll work hard on the DL next year.

Well said. Ask a Cowboys fan how they like their new 1-gap scheme which just happens to be ranked 32nd.

Well said. Ask a Cowboys fan how they like their new 1-gap scheme which just happens to be ranked 32nd.

I actually LIKE the one gap scheme. When it works, it's extremely effective. But it takes time to learn, so new players and coaches don't usually excel in it early.