Mel Tucker

Alaskan Grizzly

Dont have a lot to say on the subject other than to say I like the idea of him being on the sideline. I was reading a Q/A session with Larry Meyer said he did it due to having two rookies in at LB. Although they didn't show anything special most of the rest of the D did. I understand that Coach Tucker intends to be down their again this week. Better production by the D because their coach is actually on the sideline = coincidence? We shall see.

Dont have a lot to say on the subject other than to say I like the idea of him being on the sideline. I was reading a Q/A session with Larry Meyer said he did it due to having two rookies in at LB. Although they didn't show anything special most of the rest of the D did. I understand that Coach Tucker intends to be down their again this week. Better production by the D because their coach is actually on the sideline = coincidence? We shall see.

I think the only thing that'll improve Tucker's coaching is some better, healthy talent. And maybe a switch to the 3-4. I generally want my DC in the booth where he can see what the heck is going on.

I think the only thing that'll improve Tucker's coaching is some better, healthy talent. And maybe a switch to the 3-4. I generally want my DC in the booth where he can see what the heck is going on.

Perhaps (bolded) but now I hear McClellin is 'doubtful' for Sunday due to a hammy injury....of course. :banghead

Anyhow, have to say I don't like the coach in the booth. What does he need to see? He needs to be able to talk to the group as a whole and each individual and find where things aren't working or where they are. They have all those polaroids to see what's going on if he really needs to see from the bird's eye perspective. Coaching is being in the dirt with the guys....or as close as they can be....and work directly with the emotion of the game. Not sitting in the booth doing what I call "Xboxing it".

Perhaps (bolded) but now I hear McClellin is 'doubtful' for Sunday due to a hammy injury....of course. :banghead

Anyhow, have to say I don't like the coach in the booth. What does he need to see? He needs to be able to talk to the group as a whole and each individual and find where things aren't working or where they are. They have all those polaroids to see what's going on if he really needs to see from the bird's eye perspective. Coaching is being in the dirt with the guys....or as close as they can be....and work directly with the emotion of the game. Not sitting in the booth doing what I call "Xboxing it".

I agree with you at the high school level. Above that level, get the coach up in the box, IMO. When you're looking at a game on the field you can't see what the opposition is doing to you. Hell, with some of the crowns on the fields themselves for drainage, you can't even see the opposite sideline very well. There are clearly some benefits to having your coaches being with the players as well but I think they're outweighed. Just going to have to agree to disagree.

Why would Mel Tucker switch to a 3-4? I know he has experience in both systems but it wasn't like he ran a 3-4 in Jacksonville.

Why would Mel Tucker switch to a 3-4? I know he has experience in both systems but it wasn't like he ran a 3-4 in Jacksonville.

Only pure conjecture on my part, based on the talent we seem(ed) to have on the team right now. But with guys continuing to drop like flies, I doubt even that would help at this point. All I know for sure is he was trying to keep the D consistent from year to year with the guys we had in place and now all or most of those guys are on the sidelines watching.