Like the progress on D

AZ54

Over the last two games I like the progress I've seen on defense. The Packers minus Rodgers are not the same team but other than bouncing off Lacy and a some missed assignments during the game we had people in the right place most of that game. Against Detroit, minus another starter (SMC) we held our own against their run and passing games. Not even close to what we saw against Detroit in the first matchup this season. I checked on some stats and I'll be honest I don't see it showing up there so I got nothing to back me up. From an execution standpoint I felt our LBs and Dline were in better position and making contact around the LOS more than we were a few games back.

Tom Thayer seems to have found a few positives too regarding Paea's performance.

http://www.chicagobears.com/multimedia/vid...9d-b66288c98f52

I'd say Bostic had a good game as well and looked a lot more comfortable on the field. We still have gaps in talent (I can't even name our backup DTs right now) but I'm giving Tucker some credit despite the injuries and turnover I think he has the D headed in the right direction.

Over the last two games I like the progress I've seen on defense. The Packers minus Rodgers are not the same team but other than bouncing off Lacy and a some missed assignments during the game we had people in the right place most of that game. Against Detroit, minus another starter (SMC) we held our own against their run and passing games. Not even close to what we saw against Detroit in the first matchup this season. I checked on some stats and I'll be honest I don't see it showing up there so I got nothing to back me up. From an execution standpoint I felt our LBs and Dline were in better position and making contact around the LOS more than we were a few games back.

Tom Thayer seems to have found a few positives too regarding Paea's performance.

http://www.chicagobears.com/multimedia/vid...9d-b66288c98f52

I'd say Bostic had a good game as well and looked a lot more comfortable on the field. We still have gaps in talent (I can't even name our backup DTs right now) but I'm giving Tucker some credit despite the injuries and turnover I think he has the D headed in the right direction.

I was thinking the same thing. Not sure if its real sustainable but at least against the Detroit offense they held ground and only gave up 21 pts. Question is can it continue. Can't really count GB as Rodgers makes that offense go

They still gave up 145 yards on the ground, just 14 less yards than the first game, and 16 more yards than the 129 the Bears are giving up on average for the year(31st in the league). They also didn't manage a single hit on Stafford. So the flaws are still there. Those things considered it's somewhat surprising they only gave up 21 points.

They were able to keep Bush in check in the passing game though which is a plus. As is holding Stafford to 219 yards, but I thought Stafford was trying to force the ball to Johnson way to much, perhaps trying to get "payback" for keeping him to 44 yards in the first game. Johnson got 17 targets and caught just 6 balls...Bears have that mans number...outside the end zone anyway lol.

And I agree with twig, can't really count that packer game...No Rodgers, no Jones, no Finley, no Cobb, no offense.

I do count the Packer game because we had more pass rush there than we'd seen in weeks. Sure Rodgers would have handled that better than Wallace but still in that game i felt we were in better spots more consistently to defend plays than we were against Washington. Still had plenty of gaps in alignment against the Packers but again coming forward another week to the Detroit game that got better as well.

I'm either ahead of the curve here and soon the stats will back this up or I'm off my rocker once again after drinking too much kool-aid. We'll see how we do the next couple weeks. The loss of Tillman will hurt because Bowman is not nearly as good in run support but that's the edge plays and the inside run defense is where I think we've improved.

I'll throw this out there too: I think after the last game Bostic has come even with D.J. Williams play. Even if Williams were to come back within a game or two I don't think he'd get his job back. We'll never know that but I'll rely on the rest of the board to let me know what they see out Bostic the last couple games and in particular the Detroit game.

I do count the Packer game because we had more pass rush there than we'd seen in weeks. Sure Rodgers would have handled that better than Wallace but still in that game i felt we were in better spots more consistently to defend plays than we were against Washington. Still had plenty of gaps in alignment against the Packers but again coming forward another week to the Detroit game that got better as well.

I'm either ahead of the curve here and soon the stats will back this up or I'm off my rocker once again after drinking too much kool-aid. We'll see how we do the next couple weeks. The loss of Tillman will hurt because Bowman is not nearly as good in run support but that's the edge plays and the inside run defense is where I think we've improved.

I'll throw this out there too: I think after the last game Bostic has come even with D.J. Williams play. Even if Williams were to come back within a game or two I don't think he'd get his job back. We'll never know that but I'll rely on the rest of the board to let me know what they see out Bostic the last couple games and in particular the Detroit game.

Bears won't resign Williams. It's Bostic's job now.

Peace :dabears

I'm still not happy with the performance, but it has to be taken with a grain of salt considering the injuries.

Looking forward to next year, there are a lot of decisions to be made, but I think it's realistic that the starters on the DL could be SMC, Melton, Paea, Wooten. Maybe a really good pass rushing DE since SMC is mediocre. Maybe Anthony Barr, OLB/DE, UCLA slips?

If that's the case, I don't really think DL is the first concern. Nor is the LB corp considering the starters will most likely be Briggs, Bostic, Greene.

With Tillman and Jennings aging, and the safety play concerning, the focus for the Bears should be in the secondary. Let's be honest, Conte is bad and needs to be replaced. Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, S, Alabama would be great in Chicago. Or, even though he said he's against the move, putting Tillman at safety would allow the Bears to draft a guy like Ifo Ekpre-Olomu, CB, Oregon, who has experience at DB or S.

I'm still not happy with the performance, but it has to be taken with a grain of salt considering the injuries.

Looking forward to next year, there are a lot of decisions to be made, but I think it's realistic that the starters on the DL could be SMC, Melton, Paea, Wooten. Maybe a really good pass rushing DE since SMC is mediocre. Maybe Anthony Barr, OLB/DE, UCLA slips?

If that's the case, I don't really think DL is the first concern. Nor is the LB corp considering the starters will most likely be Briggs, Bostic, Greene.

With Tillman and Jennings aging, and the safety play concerning, the focus for the Bears should be in the secondary. Let's be honest, Conte is bad and needs to be replaced. Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, S, Alabama would be great in Chicago. Or, even though he said he's against the move, putting Tillman at safety would allow the Bears to draft a guy like Ifo Ekpre-Olomu, CB, Oregon, who has experience at DB or S.

Haven't we seen enough of SMC to know not to go after those DE/OLB hybrids?

I agree with the rest of the post though.

Haven't we seen enough of SMC to know not to go after those DE/OLB hybrids?

I agree with the rest of the post though.

I understand what you mean, but I believe more in his production than I did/do in SMC's production. Boise State's competition is a far cry from UCLA's competition.

I understand what you mean, but I believe more in his production than I did/do in SMC's production. Boise State's competition is a far cry from UCLA's competition.

I too understand what you mean, but Barr is putting up that production at OLB. It's merely speculation that he might be able to be a DE in the NFL.

At this point he weighs less than SMC, and is only an inch taller. I think it's too risky of a pick, even if he were to somehow drop out of the top 10.

The good thing is Bostic and Greene are getting valuable experience, they should only improve. Tillman just mentioned that he'd be open to playing S, and I think with his experience he can help guide Conte to improve. If we can resign Jennings, then we are looking at finding one starter in the backfield. I think when our pick comes up, we will have a handful of talent at CB were we can find that starter.

I'm not seeing the progress. The sacks against GB were nice, but most of that came after Rodgers went out of the game. They can't stop the run for shit, nor can they finish tackles. The safeties still take bad angles, and the LB'ers look clueless half the time they are out there. Maybe McClellin and Ratliff (when healthy) can start generating a more consistent pass rush when they come back. This run defense must improve though. If you can't stop the run, you don't have much of a chance in this league.

One more game added to the books and I think they played another solid game. Gave up 20 pts took a pick 6 to the house via rookie Bass so a net of only 13 pts the offense had to overcome. Rookie Bostic added another INT that showed he's getting more comfortable in coverage. We have gaps and I'm implying we are a shutdown defense just that I continue to see progress from the young guys we have out on the field. We won't be stopping anyone's running game with the DTs we have on the roster right now. Maybe when Ratliff and Paea get back on the field we'll be better but the next two games will be tough up the middle. Peppers also contributed with some positive plays as well which was good to see.

Now about Zach Bowman and all those penalties...he needs to settle down.

One more game added to the books and I think they played another solid game. Gave up 20 pts took a pick 6 to the house via rookie Bass so a net of only 13 pts the offense had to overcome. Rookie Bostic added another INT that showed he's getting more comfortable in coverage. We have gaps and I'm implying we are a shutdown defense just that I continue to see progress from the young guys we have out on the field. We won't be stopping anyone's running game with the DTs we have on the roster right now. Maybe when Ratliff and Paea get back on the field we'll be better but the next two games will be tough up the middle. Peppers also contributed with some positive plays as well which was good to see.

Have to agree. Although the defense is young (how many starters out right now?) the potential is there for a strong group. A lot of young unpolished talent. Props to Emery on that.

And yes the penalties nearly did the team in. 100+ yards is pretty uncharactersitic for this team, and potentially a killer.