Josh McCown

adam

Nasty conditions, penalties, dropped passes, and McCown comes out with no turnovers, a 92.9 QB Rating, and ended the game 9 for 11 after starting 10 for 20. With us going to STL and then MIN the next two weeks, it would make sense to go with Josh again to allow Jay time to completely heal.

I totally agree, let Jay heal fully. Josh has given no reason to doubt that Josh can keep the ship afloat till Jay is 100% ready to be back. Both games are winnable, and will be must wins to keep pace with the Lions. We caught a break today with the Lions losing to the Steelers.

Rooting for the Saints to finish off the 49ers who seem to have our refs as the niners just got away with a grounding that should have been a safety that would have given the saints a 2 pt lead and the ball with 2 min left.

One of my first signings after the season would be McCown to a 2 to 3 year deal. He is the perfect backup in this system.

Peace :dabears

Completely agree. Don't think it would cost much over minimum either as he knows his role and if it wasn't for us he would still be coaching a high school team. Also seems like he is quite happy here as well

Agreed..re-sign McCown for 2-3 years. Not only can he be solid as a backup QB he's a "glue" guy in the locker room according to coaches. Listening to his post game interview talking about how he pulled everyone together after the first series or two (lots of mistakes there) in order for them all to review plays and make sure everyone was on the same page validates that.

Agreed..re-sign McCown for 2-3 years. Not only can he be solid as a backup QB he's a "glue" guy in the locker room according to coaches. Listening to his post game interview talking about how he pulled everyone together after the first series or two (lots of mistakes there) in order for them all to review plays and make sure everyone was on the same page validates that.

Anyone also notice cutler was totally engaged going over the film work. But of course no member of media will ever say that at all

It's hard not to like the guy.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id...s-bears-winning

Josh McCown keeps Bears winning

November, 17, 2013

Nov 17

9:35

PM ET

By Michael C. Wright | ESPN.com

Recommend2

Tweet0

Comments0

Email

Print

CHICAGO -- As strong winds whipped debris around Soldier Field and rain plummeted in sheets, Josh McCown scanned the stadium, and allowed for a brief moment to feel envy.

"You look across the field at (Baltimore Ravens quarterback) Joe Flacco, and look on the sideline and Jay [Cutler] is over there, and I'm like, 'Can I borrow somebody's arm?'"

[+] EnlargeJosh McCown

Dennis Wierzbicki/USA TODAY SportsJosh McCown won't entertain the notion of becoming the Bears' full-time starter beyond Jay Cutler's return to health.

No need to. As it turns out, McCown's arm worked just fine Sunday in leading Chicago to a 23-20 overtime victory over the Ravens to keep the Bears right in the thick of the fight for the NFC North crown. In just his second start of the season, McCown completed 19-of-31 for 216 yards and a touchdown for a passer rating of 92.9.

During the decisive drive in overtime, McCown completed 2 of 3 passes for 57 yards to engineer a 60-yard drive spanning seven plays capped by Robbie Gould's game-winning 38-yard field goal. The Bears gained the largest chunk on that drive with 43-yard completion to Martellus Bennett to give Chicago a first down at the Baltimore 22.

"Obviously [bennett] won the game for us with that," receiver Brandon Marshall said. "It doesn't come down to one play, but that was huge for us. [McCown] has been awesome for us. You can't ask for a better guy to lead the huddle."

Just before the offense took the field in overtime, McCown gathered the team in the huddle and gave them an impassioned speech, telling the players about the situation being one of those "rare opportunities to do some special things." Some of McCown's teammates joked about the quarterback being "geeked up" in the huddle for the final drive.

"[He was like] 'You're gonna be able to tell your grand kids about this one,'" Bennett said, laughing. 'Finish strong and you're gonna make a play. It's gonna be a story.' I don't know if I want to talk to my grandkids about football."

McCown admits he doesn't "know if I'm talking to them as much as I'm talking to myself" when making such a speech in a key moment. Doing that, McCown said, "puts me at ease" because it reminds the quarterback, 'Hey, Josh, you don't have to press. That's Brandon Marshall right there. That's Roberto Garza. That's Jermon Bushrod. That's Martellus Bennett.' It's just a reminder to myself to try to keep everything calm and allow those guys to work."

That's precisely what McCown did after a rocky start. The Bears moved the ball just 15 yards in their first drive with McCown completing 1 of 2, in addition to taking a sack. McCown completed 1 of 2 in Chicago's second drive for only one yard. Then, at the 4:51 mark, game officials delayed the game due to inclement weather.

The delay lasted 1 hour and 53 minutes, and although it helped the Bears regroup, McCown missed on both of his attempts on Chicago's next drive once play resumed.

McCown completed 10-of-20 for 84 yards in the first half with a passer rating of 61.2. Then, in the third quarter, the Bears didn't throw the ball at all because of the windy conditions.

"[bears coach] Marc [Trestman] and I got together and talked about it, and then just said, 'Let's be smart with the way we approach this quarter, and if we can find a way to pound the rock a little bit, get through this quarter and let things flip, maybe we can then take our shots,'" McCown said.

Once the Bears switched sides in the fourth quarter where McCown could throw with the wind, the quarterback completed 5-of-6 for 68 yards and a 14-yard touchdown pass to Matt Forte on a screen pass. On the play, Baltimore gave the Bears a look they had hoped to see during the week of preparation for Sunday's game. So McCown checked to the screen pass, and Forte did his part by making linebacker Daryl Smith miss along with cornerback Corey Graham, in addition to dragging a helmetless James Ihedigbo on the way to the end zone.

"I'm just really proud of the way our football team rallied around Josh today," Trestman said. "The way Josh handled the huddled, took care of the football and did his job, that was important."

Filling in for starter Jay Cutler, McCown has now thrown for 754 yards, completing 60 percent of his passes for five touchdowns, no interceptions and a passer rating of 100.0. For McCown, that's how a backup quarterback should perform when the starter is out of commission.

So while it may be tempting to ponder how the Bears might fare with McCown as the full-time starter, that's not something he's even remotely considering.

Does McCown now feel like the starter?

"No. I've said this over and over again. I'm the backup quarterback on this team. The way that I serve my team is to play when the starter is not healthy," McCown said. "Jay's our starting quarterback. There's no doubt about that. Hopefully whenever Jay's healthy, we're still in the position to get everything we want to accomplish done when he takes back over. That's my mindset."

This is a fantastic article. I love the quote from Bennett. You're right, it's hard not to like this guy!

Peace :dabears

Lol yea that is a great quote. McCown talked up all the guys like it was going to be a huge moment in their life, because it was in his.

I was listening to Bennett last week, and he said he doesn't have any thing football in his house, so his reaction to it fit lol.