What I saw in the Rams loss...

madlithuanian

1. Our D is the most putrid piece of crap I've ever seen wear the storied uniforms. In fact crap is more useful, at least it's fertilizer. I don't care about injuries. These clowns have no pride. It is painful to watch. There is absolutely nothing positive you can say about what we saw yesterday. We'd let Kathy Bates run for a buck fifty if she lined up against us...

2. Trestman needs to wisen up. As great as he's been, continuing to go on 4th when it's painfully obvious to kick is becoming mind boggling. And to top it off, he doesn't even put the ball in the hands of playmakers. Again, he runs up the middle...

3. ...with MICHAEL FREAKING BUSH!!!! Can this king of turds please be cut from the team? He is useless! I'd rather run Hester...

4. McCown is putting together a very nice short season. I still think Cutler is the long term plan, but damn if I'm not tempted to just ride Josh out for the rest of the season. Let Jay get healthy, and let him SEE how QB needs to be played...and let him take a pay cut.

5. Marshall is a bonafide stud. Jeffrey and Martellus are great accompanyments.

6. Forte is really good. He just picked a really bad area on the field to F up.

7. We got 100% jobbed on crummy officiating all night long. Especially on that return. Did Hester F the umpire's daughter on Saturday and not call her in the morning? What the F was that phantom hold/block called on by Steltz? Can someone at Fox actually show the replay instead of looking at sidelines? Moron coverage by Fox. To this moment, I have seen nothing that shows me anything other than Hester getting jobbed... There were other suspect calls all night on us that I just can't recall at this point due to my anger over the return call.

All said, I think Trestman and the Emery plan will work over time. I think the red flag is up on Tucker and DeCamilis. We will have a tough decision on QB at season's end...

We make the playoffs only if we win the division. But right now, we don't look deserving of a berth. We might down the road, but right now, no.

1. Our D is the most putrid piece of crap I've ever seen wear the storied uniforms. In fact crap is more useful, at least it's fertilizer. I don't care about injuries. These clowns have no pride. It is painful to watch. There is absolutely nothing positive you can say about what we saw yesterday. We'd let Kathy Bates run for a buck fifty if she lined up against us...

2. Trestman needs to wisen up. As great as he's been, continuing to go on 4th when it's painfully obvious to kick is becoming mind boggling. And to top it off, he doesn't even put the ball in the hands of playmakers. Again, he runs up the middle...

3. ...with MICHAEL FREAKING BUSH!!!! Can this king of turds please be cut from the team? He is useless! I'd rather run Hester...

4. McCown is putting together a very nice short season. I still think Cutler is the long term plan, but damn if I'm not tempted to just ride Josh out for the rest of the season. Let Jay get healthy, and let him SEE how QB needs to be played...and let him take a pay cut.

7. We got 100% jobbed on crummy officiating all night long. Especially on that return. Did Hester F the umpire's daughter on Saturday and not call her in the morning? What the F was that phantom hold/block called on by Steltz? Can someone at Fox actually show the replay instead of looking at sidelines? Moron coverage by Fox. To this moment, I have seen nothing that shows me anything other than Hester getting jobbed... There were other suspect calls all night on us that I just can't recall at this point due to my anger over the return call.

All said, I think Trestman and the Emery plan will work over time. I think the red flag is up on Tucker and DeCamilis. We will have a tough decision on QB at season's end...

We make the playoffs only if we win the division. But right now, we don't look deserving of a berth. We might down the road, but right now, no.

Agreed overall. I wish Jeffrey was used a little more but hard to argue about offense. I'm so sick of seeing bush in the backfield on a short yardage situation when all we do is a run up the gur. Gotta be more creative than that. My suggestion is lineup the same with bush in back field but go play action instead. The defense would never see it and bush would get lit up

Agree overall except for 2 points. You say you don't care about injuries, as if they should be good despite injury, which I totally disagree with. And also, if you think Jay is the long term QB you've gotta put him out there when he says he's healthy. Sitting him on the bench the rest of the way might detour him away from wanting to resign.

Trestman needs to wisen up. As great as he's been, continuing to go on 4th when it's painfully obvious to kick is becoming mind boggling. And to top it off, he doesn't even put the ball in the hands of playmakers. Again, he runs up the middle...
This was the key to me. I'll say again. Unless the game dictates, YOU ALWAYS TAKE THE POINTS! No exceptions, ever. That totally deflated our team and fired them up. He needs to squeeze one off before the game to mellow out.

I never said they had to be good. They just can't be this horrible. It's really bad. Teams have dealt with similar losses to be be this epicly awful.

I only want him out there 100%. If he's 100%, then I'm OK with it. All I was really saying is that if things shape up well with McCown under center...it might be easy for the staff to say he's not quite 100%.

Agree overall except for 2 points. You say you don't care about injuries, as if they should be good despite injury, which I totally disagree with. And also, if you think Jay is the long term QB you've gotta put him out there when he says he's healthy. Sitting him on the bench the rest of the way might detour him away from wanting to resign.

I never said they had to be good. They just can't be this horrible. It's really bad. Teams have dealt with similar losses to be be this epicly awful.

I only want him out there 100%. If he's 100%, then I'm OK with it. All I was really saying is that if things shape up well with McCown under center...it might be easy for the staff to say he's not quite 100%.

Injuries to the extent of the Bears though? The only area that hasn't been hurt by injuries this season is safety, and that wasn't good to begin with. I know it's obvious to everyone but I'll point it out anyway. DT has obviously been severely hit with Melton, Collins, Paea, and to an extent you can lump Sedrick Ellis in there as well. The injuries there have caused DE to be compromised by forcing a guy who could be an every down DE, Corey Wootton, inside to play DT, while forcing a 3rd down DE, SMC, to be more of a every down DE, which neither are those guys are. The LB position is missing the best player on the defense in Lance Briggs, and a starting MLB in DJ Williams. And the CB position is missing Tillman, and to a perhaps lesser extent Kelvin Hayden, haven't noticed whether or not Frey has played well or not in Haydens absense.

They're basically throwing out a whole 2nd string defense, it doesn't surprise me one bit that they're playing epicly awful.

I just don't buy an utter collapse and failure. Injuries make a difference, but we are just ouright bad. We need a complete re-build.

Injuries to the extent of the Bears though? The only area that hasn't been hurt by injuries this season is safety, and that wasn't good to begin with. I know it's obvious to everyone but I'll point it out anyway. DT has obviously been severely hit with Melton, Collins, Paea, and to an extent you can lump Sedrick Ellis in there as well. The injuries there have caused DE to be compromised by forcing a guy who could be an every down DE, Corey Wootton, inside to play DT, while forcing a 3rd down DE, SMC, to be more of a every down DE, which neither are those guys are. The LB position is missing the best player on the defense in Lance Briggs, and a starting MLB in DJ Williams. And the CB position is missing Tillman, and to a perhaps lesser extent Kelvin Hayden, haven't noticed whether or not Frey has played well or not in Haydens absense.

They're basically throwing out a whole 2nd string defense, it doesn't surprise me one bit that they're playing epicly awful.

One thing I saw was sloppy/stupid play that negated THREE scores.

1. On Forte's incredible run, the block in the back by Bennett was obvious, stupid, and unnecessary. So much so that he learned from it and changed behavior on a similar situation later in the game. The announcers even mentioned it.

2. On Devin's return the flag for holding by Steltz was thrown very early on a person trying to go down and cover the punt. It wasn't even during the actual return. From the brief snippet we were shown - I'd like to see the entire play - it looks like Steltz just tackled his opponent. That's an obvious holding.

3. On the TD pass there was no mistaking the clothesline Bushrod used to hold him. That's as textbook as they come.

The first and last were so obvious that they didn't even upset me. I just shook my head in disbelief. The hold on the return play hurt me deeply though, as I thought that was a turning point in the game. But since the video we got on TV was brief, it hurts more. Of course, this article echoes my thoughts on the subject.

It's easy to overlook the amount of injuries at key positions in our D, and that we literally are starting a second string D. Some positions are even down to 3rd options. I've seen Frey out there. Liked him in preseason but right now it's such a mess it's hard to even evaluate or tell what the plan is. The Austin end around for their first TD, I saw Shea run himself out of the play. on the replay they focused on the block on Conte, but what made that play happen was Shea instead of staying home and playing contain heads for the QB only to have Austin sprint past him with the ball. Shea stays home and keeps contain he has a chance to make that tackle for a minimal gain. There are so many little things that are killing us on D. Lack of contain, poor angles, poor gap integrity, players playing themselves out of position, poor tackling, etc. It's maddening to watch especially when you contrast it with what we are used to seeing out of our D.

I think the key injuries are the ones in the middle having our D-Line so gutted by injury that the lack of skill and experience with the backups now playing, has made us a sieve against the run, and little or no pressure on the QB, just exasperates and exposes all the other weaknesses. If your D Line can stop the run and get regular pressure on the QB, it makes the rest of the D's job that much easier. Just like offense it all starts up front.

I just don't buy an utter collapse and failure. Injuries make a difference, but we are just ouright bad. We need a complete re-build.

I certainly can buy it, and I can't grasp why people can't. Like I said, it's pretty much a 2nd string defense. Peppers, Jennings, Anderson, and the awful safties are the only remaining starters out there. One of those guys got hit by father time, and another is being paid less than a million dollars.

I don't believe a complete rebuild is needed. Just need a couple healthy DTs, Wootton to be moved back outside, and a couple new safeties.

I cut Peppers after the season. He is not worth 16 million a year. Wooten gets signed to a 3 to 4 year deal. Try to resign Peanut to a 2-year deal. The draft will be primarily defense with a quarterback possibly being the only offensive player I would select.

Peace :dabears

Thanks for clarifying the Steltz penalty.

Agreed on your overall take...

One thing I saw was sloppy/stupid play that negated THREE scores.

1. On Forte's incredible run, the block in the back by Bennett was obvious, stupid, and unnecessary. So much so that he learned from it and changed behavior on a similar situation later in the game. The announcers even mentioned it.

2. On Devin's return the flag for holding by Steltz was thrown very early on a person trying to go down and cover the punt. It wasn't even during the actual return. From the brief snippet we were shown - I'd like to see the entire play - it looks like Steltz just tackled his opponent. That's an obvious holding.

3. On the TD pass there was no mistaking the clothesline Bushrod used to hold him. That's as textbook as they come.

The first and last were so obvious that they didn't even upset me. I just shook my head in disbelief. The hold on the return play hurt me deeply though, as I thought that was a turning point in the game. But since the video we got on TV was brief, it hurts more. Of course, this article echoes my thoughts on the subject.

Agreed on Peppers. Not sure how deep Wootten is into his contract... If Peanut take a pay cut, I'm all for it.

I cut Peppers after the season. He is not worth 16 million a year. Wooten gets signed to a 3 to 4 year deal. Try to resign Peanut to a 2-year deal. The draft will be primarily defense with a quarterback possibly being the only offensive player I would select.

I agree with this post, 110%! All spot on observations. We got a few breaks from the officials too, however. They had bad afternoons, as a whole. It seemed like early on they hosed the Bears over and over on bullshit calls and then realized it and decided to try to even it out. It was a clusterf*ck on their part.

I don't buy it either. When Urlacher went down with the Bears, when he was their heart and soul, we got worse but we didn't friggen turn into a HS level defense. I'm sick of excuses. Tucker either produces with what he has or I'd shitcan his ass.

I don't buy it either. When Urlacher went down with the Bears, when he was their heart and soul, we got worse but we didn't friggen turn into a HS level defense. I'm sick of excuses. Tucker either produces with what he has or I'd shitcan his ass.

That was one loss, not 2/3 of the starting D.

The "excuses" are legit.

Their defensive tackles they have right now were not on the team in the preseason. Tillman gone, Briggs gone, DJ Williams gone. That's half of the defense out because of injuries. Wright and Conte have either regressed or the previous defense hid their deficiencies.

Agreed. Game after game I see opponents and other players getting to the QB with frequency. Collapsing the pocket constantly. And I think, "Why don't the Bears do that?"

Two main reason:

1) Scheme - They simply don't bring much beyond the front-four, and when they do the rushers prioritize leverage over pressure. Sometimes that makes sense, and sometimes it simply gives the QB a comfortable pocket to step into as the DEs go flying around the edge.

2) Players - In my question above, the quick reply is, "The Bears tried to address it, but McClellin was a turd of a pick." But the other issue is, Peppers just isn't what he used to be. He doesn't dominate. And he certainly doesn't dominate to the tune of 16m per year.

It's time to clean up the defense this offseason.

I agree with this post, 110%! All spot on observations. We got a few breaks from the officials too, however. They had bad afternoons, as a whole. It seemed like early on they hosed the Bears over and over on bullshit calls and then realized it and decided to try to even it out. It was a clusterf*ck on their part.

I am honestly surprised when I see posts like this one, which is why I try to address the post. I just don't think most fans truly understand officiating, and even when they do have a decent understanding, they can't see other than through their rose-colored glasses. Where, specifically, were the Bears hosed? I thought the Bears just played like shit. Sloppy, 2am, Taco Bell shit.

Yeah, we did get a few that went our way...make up calls as you say!

I am honestly surprised when I see posts like this one, which is why I try to address the post. I just don't think most fans truly understand officiating, and even when they do have a decent understanding, they can't see other than through their rose-colored glasses. Where, specifically, were the Bears hosed? I thought the Bears just played like shit. Sloppy, 2am, Taco Bell shit.

Gotta say I agree. I made the same observation during the game thread. I was much more frustrated then but the players killed themselves, not the refs. I would normally agree with Cracker that the calls were horse pucky but this trend of negating scoring due to penalties has been on a trend these last few games. I know it happened against Detroit and pretty sure it happened (or at least stopped a drive) against Baltimore.

If I believe the referees are conspiring against the Bears then that was an alien ship I saw hovering over my house the other day. But more than likely its just pure undiscipline on the part of the Bears. Like I said in the game thread, they don't deserve to win any further unless they clean this crap up.

While I copmletely agree that there is no conspiracy...I do feel we are one of the least respected teams from an officiating standpoint. The media starts it by constantly poo-pooing us. People begin to believe the hype. Brady gets calls. Jay, not as much.

Gotta say I agree. I made the same observation during the game thread. I was much more frustrated then but the players killed themselves, not the refs. I would normally agree with Cracker that the calls were horse pucky but this trend of negating scoring due to penalties has been on a trend these last few games. I know it happened against Detroit and pretty sure it happened (or at least stopped a drive) against Baltimore.

If I believe the referees are conspiring against the Bears then that was an alien ship I saw hovering over my house the other day. But more than likely its just pure undiscipline on the part of the Bears. Like I said in the game thread, they don't deserve to win any further unless they clean this crap up.