Bears going to let Cutler test market

CrackerDog

Could be bullshit, I have no idea. But this is the first indication that the Bears might be thinking about going the cheap route and using the cap dollars on positions other than QB. We've debated that extensively elsewhere and I'm officially on the fence. :rolleyes:

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Bears-...-offseason.html

Take it for what it's worth...

Could be bullshit, I have no idea. But this is the first indication that the Bears might be thinking about going the cheap route and using the cap dollars on positions other than QB. We've debated that extensively elsewhere and I'm officially on the fence. :rolleyes:

On one hand, it scares me. He's the first franchise guy we've seen in a long while. On top of that, the money the Bears would save would be for free agency, presumably for a DE, which appears to be a position with average FA availability. So, money saved for FAs is good, but only if there are FAs.

On the other hand, McCown has done unfathomably well. Enough that this discussion is even a discussion. And it lends to the concept that Trestman is the "QB Whisperer." Maybe with him it's like Denver RBs for that stretch of ten years or so? Plug anyone in and the system works? We might soon see that.

I never believe "sources" because there is just too much unknown.

I do believe in the system though so I won't hate either decision. These weapons, in a WCO, is just kill. Playing Jay to close out the season is the right call, can't take out a guy, who was a top 10 QB, due to injury. Next year though is a different story.

It sounds to me like the market is already 'testing him' with the Titans firing the first volley. I get this feeling that the money will be available elsewhere if Jay wants it. Pretty certain the Bears won't/can't match what some of the other teams will offer. It will come down to Jay holding true to the "home town" deal he proposed before.

And for what its worth, I'm still of the opinion that Emery's ego is large enough that if Jay's camp says he wants to do this or else...it'll be "or else".

I never believe "sources" because there is just too much unknown.

I do believe in the system though so I won't hate either decision. These weapons, in a WCO, is just kill. Playing Jay to close out the season is the right call, can't take out a guy, who was a top 10 QB, due to injury. Next year though is a different story.

I agree. I never believe anything from "sources". For all we know it could be some hater of jays as there are a lot out there. I personally want to see how jay does over nxt 3 weeks as a whole. I won't scream he's horrible if he struggles against clev. If he performs well as a whole very easy to see him back however on the flip side if he struggles as a whole then its fair to look at drafting qb early

If we let him test the market, we might as well let him walk. He's going to get a lot of money if we are playing with other teams. I think the Bears are starting Jay because he is there guy and they will work quickly to sign him to a fair deal for both sides. One that gives the Bears flexibility to keep Marshall and address the defense.

If we let him test the market, we might as well let him walk. He's going to get a lot of money if we are playing with other teams. I think the Bears are starting Jay because he is there guy and they will work quickly to sign him to a fair deal for both sides. One that gives the Bears flexibility to keep Marshall and address the defense.

Exactly. Adam scheinn did an article for NFLN and all the execs that he talked to said we can't allow jay to walk. Ppl will be beating down his door