Cutler vs McCown

bowlingtwig

Right now the rankings show McCown ranked #1 in total QBR. Cutler is ranked #7 and ahead of Tom Brady who is #11. Like any "stat" in the NFL context is important because I have no about which QB among those 3 anyone in the league would take first. Yet the point is valid about Cutler being ranked top 10 this year.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/qbr/_/type/player-week

While were on QBR

18th, 24th, 25th, 26th, 27th, and 30th. That's the defensive QBR ranking for the opponents of Josh McCown.

Jay has faced the 6th, 14th, 15th, 16th, 17th, 21st, 26th rated D in that category.

So the first question I have is which one of those were the game where McCown relieved Cutler? Because his (McCowns) STARTING record this year is 3-2 and you have six groupings there. The second point is if one of this is where he relieved him it wasn't until late in the game where he very nearly pulled off a comeback win.

The last point to be made is that despite the opposition McCown has maintained the top QBR. Would he had he started the rest of those games? Never know but we do know where Cutlers rank was based and it's not first.

So the first question I have is which one of those were the game where McCown relieved Cutler? Because his (McCowns) STARTING record this year is 3-2 and you have six groupings there. The second point is if one of this is where he relieved him it wasn't until late in the game where he very nearly pulled off a comeback win.

The last point to be made is that despite the opposition McCown has maintained the top QBR. Would he had he started the rest of those games? Never know but we do know where Cutlers rank was based and it's not first.

It was the washington game, washington is the 30. I gave it to McCown because he played much more in that game than Jay did(Jay only had 4 drives in that game).

Not sure where else you're going with your post.

McCowns average opponent was ranked 25th(using QBR) Jay's was 16th. I know I'm assuming here but you gotta assume if Jay got to play during that stretch he'd be ranked higher than 7th.

It was the washington game, washington is the 30. I gave it to McCown because he played much more in that game than Jay did(Jay only had 4 drives in that game).

So how about the second Detroit game where McCown very nearly pulled out a win after Cutler sat? And in that game against Washington I believe McCown did everything he could to win the game, it was due to the defense not being able to stop Washington that lost that game.

Not sure where else you're going with your post.

McCowns average opponent was ranked 25th(using QBR) Jay's was 16th. I know I'm assuming here but you gotta assume if Jay got to play during that stretch he'd be ranked higher than 7th.

However wasn't it you (or someone did at least) that pointed out the defense was in better shape when Cutler was playing? Tillman, Melton, Collins and Briggs were all playing so he should have benefited from that counter. Since the point was also made that the line has progressed in the season than so theoretically did McCown benefit from that.

Again, the point being made is that since Cutler is better (in your opinion - stats aside) and by many considered a "Franchise QB" he should have a better overall rating. Regardless the opponent and their defensive status. If for nothing else worthy of a large contract extension.

And just so I say it, I'm trying to use those numbers as my case in Cutler vs McCown, I'm just trying to put the QBR stats into some perspective here.

Thanks for posting. So if Cutler is better, he technically should have a better QBR than McCown in comparable games? If McCown is playing the easier schedule and is a lesser player, shouldn't the QBRs be almost identical?

This begs the question, if McCown and Cutler both have a top 10 QBR in this offense, do we really need to pay a QB $15+ million a year to throw to these playmakers?

Thanks for posting. So if Cutler is better, he technically should have a better QBR than McCown in comparable games? If McCown is playing the easier schedule and is a lesser player, shouldn't the QBRs be almost identical?

This begs the question, if McCown and Cutler both have a top 10 QBR in this offense, do we really need to pay a QB $15+ million a year to throw to these playmakers?

It's all just really speculative any way you look at it. The difference between the 2 QBRs is 20 points. I averaged out the defenses they faced 15th for Jay and 25th for Josh. The difference between those 2 spots is about 10 points. So if knock off 10 points from Joshs and add 10 points to Jay you've got identical QBRs.

I've gone on record a few times saying I believe in the system and would be ok with either decision for next year. This year though I think it was the right move to give Jay his job back just due to the whole "a player shouldn't lose his job to injury thing". Unless said player was garbage to begin with I think it sets a bad president(I believe that's the wrong spelling but you catch my drift).

It's all just really speculative any way you look at it. The difference between the 2 QBRs is 20 points. I averaged out the defenses they faced 15th for Jay and 25th for Josh. The difference between those 2 spots is about 10 points. So if knock off 10 points from Joshs and add 10 points to Jay you've got identical QBRs.

I've gone on record a few times saying I believe in the system and would be ok with either decision for next year. This year though I think it was the right move to give Jay his job back just due to the whole "a player shouldn't lose his job to injury thing". Unless said player was garbage to begin with I think it sets a bad president(I believe that's the wrong spelling but you catch my drift).

Yeah your right. Trestman might have lost respect from many as jay was having a good yr and never wavered in his belief in jay. I don't know if jay is best long term answer but I'm not sure I like the alternative. Hoping that father time doesn't catch josh or he doesn't revert to his previous yrs or spending a 1st on a rook and hoping he's good while ignoring the defense with that pick. We at least know what jay can do. Sure he can be frustrating at times but he can also win games and lead us

Yeah your right. Trestman might have lost respect from many as jay was having a good yr and never wavered in his belief in jay. I don't know if jay is best long term answer but I'm not sure I like the alternative. Hoping that father time doesn't catch josh or he doesn't revert to his previous yrs or spending a 1st on a rook and hoping he's good while ignoring the defense with that pick. We at least know what jay can do. Sure he can be frustrating at times but he can also win games and lead us

I guess since I'm supporting both sides here. The one big plus in going with McCown/Rookie is you wouldn't have to rely on rookies to come in on the defense. But with an offensive minded coach who seems to like Jay, and really, I think they'd have enough funds to fix it with or without Jay, that might not be THAT BIG of a plus to the team.

One thing is for sure, between the QB, DT, Safety, and what to do with all the FAs, Emery really has his work cut out for him this offseason.