Ready for "TJ/Matt is our quarterback?"

xvflutop

maybe the time away has been good for him. I think overall he's a good coach, he just needs to let go of the blind loyalty to his buddies that he likes to bring in, and be flexible with the D, 4-3 Tampa 2 vs their current 3-4 could be a sticky issue. Just as it could have been for us with some of the candidates we interviewed being 3-4 guys. If Lovie can surround himself with quality OC and DC and let those guys do their thing he could find success there. Problem is in Chicago he was hell bent on running HIS Tampa 2 and didn't allow for deviation which is why he stuck with his buddy in Rod. It worked here because we had the talent on that side of the ball and early on had the guys up front to make that D work. This year proves why you need flexibility. If you are weak up front and can't get pass rush the D doesn't work without creative blitzing. Loyalty is one thing but blind loyalty was a big part of his downfall here. Angelo didn't help matters by failing to address the line. We all got sick of hearing "we like our guys" when those guys were scrubs who'd not likely make anyone else's starting lineup. Offensively Texans are a mess Foster is is on the decline, Tate will be gone, Andre Johnson is their only real stud WR and he's hit or miss. Smith would be inheriting an offense that is crumbling, and a good D. Not saying it can't work but a Smith lead Texans could be a strong defensive team with an anemic offense. Sound familiar? But if he can hit on his coordinators there's a chance.

I agree. He is certainly good enough compared to a lot of others options for teams. In fact, I think he'd be devestatingly good for Detroit. That's why I want him elsewhere!

I am glad he's gone, but I do wish him well except when it impacts us!

Ha! Me too. But with that said, I did expect Lovie to get another job. He wasn't perfect, wasn't a great coach, but he was good at a number of things and Houston could do a lot worse. I wish him well.

i gotta disagree.

lovie is NOT more than an average defensive coach and a lot less than average, in fact POOR, head coach.

with multiple all-pro/pro-bowl, and throw in a couple of probable HOF players, his defense was in my opinion just average against high octane offenses. except on rare occasions it was not geared to beat very good teams with upper tier passing attacks as he showed year after year.

the soft zones were exploited time and again making poor QB's look like all-pro HOF candidates. he has no ability to adjust his defenses to what players he is forced to play. he relies on a system outdated by a decade and has no counter game plans to fall back on.

he has to have turnovers to win which can work probably about 50% of the time and usually against lesser opponents. in big games when top tier QB's can control the clock and time of possession and play turnover free games, his bend (over) and don't break defense keeps our offense off the field.

plain and simple it didn't work no matter WHAT the stats say.

his personnel decision were not just bad, they were atrocious. he had absolutely no clue what to do with an offense or it's coordinators (think martz) and in fact his decision to hire baboonich as our DC was mindbogglingly bad and no better when HE took over as DC.

if the texans are thinking of hiring him to me that is insanity. they already have a top notch DC in little bum. phillips would go the same way that rivera went in chicago and where is there offense headed? i don't like the texans so to me this is a great hire.

if the lions were to sign lovie i would jump for joy.

i gotta disagree.

lovie is NOT more than an average defensive coach and a lot less than average, in fact POOR, head coach.

with multiple all-pro/pro-bowl, and throw in a couple of probable HOF players, his defense was in my opinion just average against high octane offenses. except on rare occasions it was not geared to beat very good teams with upper tier passing attacks as he showed year after year.

the soft zones were exploited time and again making poor QB's look like all-pro HOF candidates. he has no ability to adjust his defenses to what players he is forced to play. he relies on a system outdated by a decade and has no counter game plans to fall back on.

he has to have turnovers to win which can work probably about 50% of the time and usually against lesser opponents. in big games when top tier QB's can control the clock and time of possession and play turnover free games, his bend (over) and don't break defense keeps our offense off the field.

his personnel decision were not just bad, they were atrocious. he had absolutely no clue what to do with an offense or it's coordinators (think martz) and in fact his decision to hire baboonich as our DC was mindbogglingly bad and no better when HE took over as DC.

if the texans are thinking of hiring him to me that is insanity. they already have a top notch DC in little bum. phillips would go the same way that rivera went in chicago and where is there offense headed? i don't like the texans so to me this is a great hire.

100%%%% and then some. Especially him coaching in our division... B)

i gotta disagree.

Yep!

One good year, one bad year, repeat. Too many holes in his Tampa 2. Too passive. No clue on offense. No clue on drafting. No clue on FA. Horrendous in game coaching decisions. Laughable replay challenges. Retarded loyalty to bad assistant coaches. Zero fire.

I'm with you; I'd love to see Lovie in Detroit. You can go ahead and book Cutler for 300+ and 2-3 TDs, with receivers open all over the place in the zone.