Rex Ryan for DC next year??

Bears4Ever_34

He's likely to be fired at the end of the year. Mel Tucker is awful and should be fired the minute the season is over, although I am not very confident Trestman will see things the same way..

Lets assume Tucker is gone and Ryan is fired. Should the Bears try to get him as the new DC?

I don't know if his personality meshes well with Trestman's but there's no question that Rex knows how to coach defense.

Just a thought..

I don't necessarily think Tucker is awful, but if the powers that be think it was more on him than injuries, and Rex would take a DC job then I'm down. Perhaps Rob Ryan and Sean Payton( I believe he and Trestman have a relationship) have talked about Marc and Rob can relay some info to Rex about him.

Have to think if the DC job does open up that it will be a favorable position for anyone who is available with the rich history here in Chicago.

He's likely to be fired at the end of the year. Mel Tucker is awful and should be fired the minute the season is over, although I am not very confident Trestman will see things the same way..

Lets assume Tucker is gone and Ryan is fired. Should the Bears try to get him as the new DC?

I don't know if his personality meshes well with Trestman's but there's no question that Rex knows how to coach defense.

Just a thought..

Trestman has backed Tucker a couple of times this year saying he has done a great job, even with all the injuries. I dont think he will be fired

Outside of the injuries, the three major areas that have plagued the defense this season are poor angles , bad tackling, and gap discipline. Those are reflective of coaching. The Bears weren't this bad at it last year with Lovie. Chris Conte and Major Wright went from serviceable safeties to maybe out of the NFL in less than a year.

Even the game planning by Tucker has been horrific this season. The Bears had no idea how to defend the read option against Washington last year because Mel Tucker was telling his DE's to crash down on every play, leaving the outside WIDE open. A hobbled RGIII tore our defense apart thanks to this awful strategy.

I also don't think it's a coincidence either that our defense is so pathetic at getting to the quarterback. Mel Tucker's defenses in Jacksonville were routinely at the bottom of the league in sacks.

In a heartbeat over Tucker.

Just a thought..

Yes... He knows how to run a defense and can help Emery draft personnel in the up and coming draft. No offense to Tucker but coming in to run the exact same Lovie Smith Tampa 2 defense has been a disaster.

I feel that Rex would completely overhaul the D and make it his own. That's what this team desperately needs. Do the right thing Marc.. Your job may depend on it by the end of year 2.

Outside of the injuries, the three major areas that have plagued the defense this season are poor angles , bad tackling, and gap discipline. Those are reflective of coaching. The Bears weren't this bad at it last year with Lovie. Chris Conte and Major Wright went from serviceable safeties to maybe out of the NFL in less than a year.

Even the game planning by Tucker has been horrific this season. The Bears had no idea how to defend the read option against Washington last year because Mel Tucker was telling his DE's to crash down on every play, leaving the outside WIDE open. A hobbled RGIII tore our defense apart thanks to this awful strategy.

I also don't think it's a coincidence either that our defense is so pathetic at getting to the quarterback. Mel Tucker's defenses in Jacksonville were routinely at the bottom of the league in sacks.

This D is brutal. Injuries can only provide so much of an excuse. I'd seriously consider firing Tucker.

Say what you want about Lovie but this doesn't happen to his D. Or his ST.

Just a thought..

Tucker is terrible. Poor discipline, poor tackling are on him. I realize injuries hurt us but there is zero excuse for the piss poor execution of this quad. Tucker needs to be fired and Ryan and Wade Phillips are two guys I'd pay a lot of money to to run our D. I'd prefer Phillips because Ryan will probably at some point get another gig.

Tucker is terrible. Poor discipline, poor tackling are on him. I realize injuries hurt us but there is zero excuse for the piss poor execution of this quad. Tucker needs to be fired and Ryan and Wade Phillips are two guys I'd pay a lot of money to to run our D. I'd prefer Phillips because Ryan will probably at some point get another gig.

Either guy would be a great hire. I agree that Rex will be a head coach again at some point. Players love him.

I'd love to have him here, but it's likely he will pull a Lovie this year. I don't see why a coach would want the stress of being a coach and work for free this year. If I remember right, his contract would basically be guaranteed, but the Jets wouldn't have to pay what he makes this year.

Like if he was getting paid 5 million dollars, and someone offered him a a head coaching job making 7 million, the Jets would have to pay nothing. He'd make 2 million more than if he sat at home. If the bears hired him as a DC making 1 million dollars, then the Bears would pay a million and the Jets would pay 4 million. He'd basically be working for free.

I'd love to have him here, but it's likely he will pull a Lovie this year. I don't see why a coach would want the stress of being a coach and work for free this year. If I remember right, his contract would basically be guaranteed, but the Jets wouldn't have to pay what he makes this year.

Like if he was getting paid 5 million dollars, and someone offered him a a head coaching job making 7 million, the Jets would have to pay nothing. He'd make 2 million more than if he sat at home. If the bears hired him as a DC making 1 million dollars, then the Bears would pay a million and the Jets would pay 4 million. He'd basically be working for free.

First i want to say you can blame coaches all you want....but they coach not play.......if a player doesn't do what the coaches preach then its not the fault of the coach. Outside of the injuries, poor angles , bad tackling, and gap discipline are all on the players.If we have sub par players and they are screwing up you bench them.....how who we have as back ups to those players is the problem we have....no starting talent as back ups on defense..we have rookies starting as LB'S D line has DE as DT secondary beat up with no talent other than Jennings and Tillman,,,with that you are asking for a sorry defense

Just a thought..

I think they will give Tucker one more year with more of his imput into the design of the defense and then see how it plays out. It cant be worst that this year, my ass puckers everytime the other team gets the ball.

This D is brutal. Injuries can only provide so much of an excuse. I'd seriously consider firing Tucker.

Say what you want about Lovie but this doesn't happen to his D. Or his ST.

I think if Lovie was around it wouldnt look this god awful but still wouldnt be very good. Age and injuries have took there toll no matter who would have been coaching them.

I think if Lovie was around it wouldnt look this god awful but still wouldnt be very good. Age and injuries have took there toll no matter who would have been coaching them.

I agree but what worries me most is the lack of progress. Bostic, Greene, No-name DTs continue to make the same mistakes. Nobody expects things to be great with this roster but somewhere in some aspects we should be seeing some progress. I can't point to anything that has improved from 8 weeks ago when Briggs went out.

I agree but what worries me most is the lack of progress. Bostic, Greene, No-name DTs continue to make the same mistakes. Nobody expects things to be great with this roster but somewhere in some aspects we should be seeing some progress. I can't point to anything that has improved from 8 weeks ago when Briggs went out.

To me that is coaching. It's all about timing and position and it just seems disjointed far too often.

Bingo.

SMC still, STILL!, dives inside like his life depends on it, completely ignoring the containment aspect of things. It's almost comical at this point. When I see a run bounce outside, I immediately look for SMC's number.

Bostic and Greene continue to overpursue. This ain't college, fellas. Their speed and athleticism makes them think they know better, and it gets them in trouble.

Conte...sigh...still doesn't take angles to maximize his position.

All that is coaching. Either that, or poor personnel decisions, because mistake-prone players should be benched for those who follow direction.

This Defense had a ton of injuries, but it missed Urlacher something serious this year.

Bingo.

SMC still, STILL!, dives inside like his life depends on it, completely ignoring the containment aspect of things. It's almost comical at this point. When I see a run bounce outside, I immediately look for SMC's number.

Bostic and Greene continue to overpursue. This ain't college, fellas. Their speed and athleticism makes them think they know better, and it gets them in trouble.

Conte...sign...still doesn't take angles to maximize his position.

All that is coaching. Either that, or poor personnel decisions, because mistake-prone players should be benched for those who follow direction.

This Defense had a ton of injuries, but it missed Urlacher something serious this year.

It is definitely on Tucker. The players are put in position based on the scheme, and obviously Tucker has no clue except on how to apply A gap pressure.

I can't remember SMC ever having contain, ever. He also gets pushed around in the run game like a rag doll.

Bostic and Greene are literally running around the field with no clear responsibility. They are never in their gaps and I can't remember the last time they had a stuff.

Conte seems to always run at a 90 degree angle to the sidelines and misses those long deep sidelines passes everytime. When I see those passes, I just wait for Conte to dive into the screen a second too late as the WR scores.