Les Frazier

lemonej

With Frazier rumored to be on the hot seat, he would be a better candidate to run the Bears defense than Ryan.IMO He is familiar with the division and has run successful defenses in Minnesota in a 4-3. If he takes the heat for the Vikings drop off in play this year he will be in demand as a coordinator.

With Frazier rumored to be on the hot seat, he would be a better candidate to run the Bears defense than Ryan.IMO He is familiar with the division and has run successful defenses in Minnesota in a 4-3. If he takes the heat for the Vikings drop off in play this year he will be in demand as a coordinator.

His record doesnt exactly give him a great resume. I think Tucker gets another year to prove what the defense can do if he puts his input into it. He took over a defense that he had to accept, not build himself. He was required to accept a scheme, old players, and then was hit with injuries. They go to him and say you didnt do a good job and he states, this is your defense, let me do my own thing. I think his fate is tied to Emery's and Trestmans, and he gets another year before he becomes the scapegoat .

His record doesnt exactly give him a great resume. I think Tucker gets another year to prove what the defense can do if he puts his input into it. He took over a defense that he had to accept, not build himself. He was required to accept a scheme, old players, and then was hit with injuries. They go to him and say you didnt do a good job and he states, this is your defense, let me do my own thing. I think his fate is tied to Emery's and Trestmans, and he gets another year before he becomes the scapegoat .

Agreed.

Peace :dabears

I would be having a hard look at Tucker and if he doesn't seem feasible, would have a good hard look at Frazier if he would be willing to move down a step to D Coach….but then, how about Lovie as D Coach? Or Marinelli? Of course, Ryan would be great too.

It might be time to dump Tucker….

I think one of the reasons there are so many players on the last year of their contracts is Emery realized that after retooling the offense he was going to have to do the same with the defense this year.

Tucker got the short end of the stick. He took over a team with a solid starting lineup and was very successful in the past. Then Urlacher retires, Melton goes down, etc... and before you know it he has over half of the players on the starting D that are backups &/or new to the system.

I am not so sure they would be playing much better if Smith & RM were still running the show.

I see Emery in the backroom right now with his Pro Scouting guys plotting a revamp of the D. I also would not be surprised if Tucker is given full control and in the process of the off-season rebuilding of the D switch to a 3-4 scheme, which is something Tucker has done in the past.

As interesting as Emery's moves were last year in both Free Agency and the Draft to get our Offense in high gear, it might be equally as interesting to see what transpires this year in the "year of the defense".

Tucker got the short end of the stick. He took over a team with a solid starting lineup and was very successful in the past. Then Urlacher retires, Melton goes down, etc... and before you know it he has over half of the players on the starting D that are backups &/or new to the system.

I am not so sure they would be playing much better if Smith & RM were still running the show.

I see Emery in the backroom right now with his Pro Scouting guys plotting a revamp of the D. I also would not be surprised if Tucker is given full control and in the process of the off-season rebuilding of the D switch to a 3-4 scheme, which is something Tucker has done in the past.

As interesting as Emery's moves were last year in both Free Agency and the Draft to get our Offense in high gear, it might be equally as interesting to see what transpires this year in the "year of the defense".

i just don't see it. if you look at tuckers resume he has done nothing in the NFL to justify even the initial hire by emery let alone keep him.

even with the injuries look at the rookies this guy has worked with on our team. in all truth they have not gotten ANY better and in my opinion have regressed from the start of the season. this tells a lot about his coaching abilities. if we are going to revamp this defense through the draft we need someone who can actually teach these rookies how to play in the NFL and tucker is not the guy to do it. in fact he hasn't even controlled the veterans we have on this team in regards to tackling and gap control.

i know a lot of people talk about his abilities to run a 3-4 defense. it is far from the truth. in his first season as a DC he was an understudy of romeo crennel and that lasted one season before he was fired. it was crennel's defense, not something tucker was bringing to the table. and to be honest that defense was not very good...

2008 browns DC - with defensive minded coach romeo crennel the browns ran a 3-4 defense. this was the first year as a coordinator - overall rank for pts. = 16th; total yds given up = 26th;

passing: ranked 14th for passing yds; 10th for passing td's allowed; net yards gained per pass attempt = 29th

rushing: totaly yds = 28th; rushing td's = 21; yds per attempt = 25th

if we don't get rid of tucker this misery will continue until we do and stunt our chances to win a superbowl by years.

I would be having a hard look at Tucker and if he doesn't seem feasible, would have a good hard look at Frazier if he would be willing to move down a step to D Coach….but then, how about Lovie as D Coach? Or Marinelli? Of course, Ryan would be great too.

It might be time to dump Tucker….

If Tucker is back, Emery and Trestman are jokes. He's a freakin disaster. Heads have to roll for the collosal failures on the defensive side of the football. This team is in awful position and that is on our coaches.

If Tucker is back, Emery and Trestman are jokes. He's a freakin disaster. Heads have to roll for the collosal failures on the defensive side of the football. This team is in awful position and that is on our coaches.

You can argue both sides of the coin in regards to Tucker, however I firmly believe he will be dismissed after the season. The guy I want controlling the defense next year is Seattle's linebacker coach- Ken Norton Jr. He has been apart of that dominate defense since 2010 .

Read on PFT this morning that he is out on Monday...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/...frazier-is-out/

Read on PFT this morning that he is out on Monday...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/...frazier-is-out/

Having someone like Frazier would be nice for the historical ties he has with the team of the 80's. He does have some decent background in defense true. Speaking of, where is Singletary these days? Something tells me he'd be a good D coordinator. Look what he built in San Fran.

But after it's all said and done, Tucker will more than likely be back next year.

I think one of the reasons there are so many players on the last year of their contracts is Emery realized that after retooling the offense he was going to have to do the same with the defense this year.

I agree with much of what you say above but I think Lovie's D given the same circumstances would've been significantly better. They were his guys, it was his scheme and they would've played for him. Tucker doesn't deserve another year if you ask me but I expect him back.

I agree with Pix here, add in all the 1 year deals. The writing has been on the wall for the last few years, our D has been aging fast and it's time to get younger and/or fresh players in there to retool. I think there is a plan to retool. And I agree that while it's easy to look at the D and say Tucker should go, and maybe he should but at the same time it was a gamble to keep the same scheme from the old staff as the starting group were all familiar with it. However it was a gamble that didn't pay off as our D became more and more depleted. They gave the stat during the game that we've had the most turnover of personnel on D in the league. I'm guessing Tucker gets a second chance next season to put in his own scheme, with a healthy and upgraded D. What I do pin on Tucker is how fundamentally unsound and undisciplined this D has been this year. Even when we've had guys in position to make plays they fail. We don't tackle well, we don't cover well, we don't take good angles, and we don't contain. Even with backups you should at least at this level be fundamentally sound.

I really hate the notion that the Bears are still a 4-3 defense. Right now, they both literally and figuratively don't have a defense. Pretty much everybody but Briggs, McClellin and Wooton are free agents or are candidates to be waived like Chris Conte, Major Wright, and Julius Peppers. They don't have to hamstring themselves anymore by force feeding a 4-3 cover 2 coach down their throats if they don't want to.

It sounds like Rex Ryan is now going to end up staying in New York, though that remains to be seen. Wade Phillips would be the next best candidate out there, assuming he is out in Houston with Kubiak fired.

to me he is a top candidate after being fired by minny today. phillips is my first, but frazier is right up at the top. he has made his bones in the nfl and proven himself as a DC.

my biggest fear is we set a record for BAD and want to continue to run it with a DC who has NEVER done anything good in the NFL. this will be another strike against emery if he decides to keep tucker.

With Shiano getting the axe in Tampa I wonder if that whole staff is out...If so I'd add Bill Sheridan to the DC wish list.

From his profile on the Bucs website...

"In his first season as the Buccaneers defensive coordinator, Sheridan helped turn around the team’s run defense. After finishing last in the league in run defense in 2011, the 2012 Buccaneers finished first in that category, becoming the first team since the merger to go from last-to-first in a single season."

Sounds like a guy the Bears could use.

With Shiano getting the axe in Tampa I wonder if that whole staff is out...If so I'd add Bill Sheridan to the DC wish list.

From his profile on the Bucs website...

"In his first season as the Buccaneers defensive coordinator, Sheridan helped turn around the team’s run defense. After finishing last in the league in run defense in 2011, the 2012 Buccaneers finished first in that category, becoming the first team since the merger to go from last-to-first in a single season."

Sounds like a guy the Bears could use.

Lovie is said to be the leading candidate for the Tampa job. I doubt Sheridan sticks around and "plays 2nd fiddle" to Lovies D.

Gimme him if they wanna stick with a 4-3 or Phillips if they wanna move to 3-4.

You can argue both sides of the coin in regards to Tucker, however I firmly believe he will be dismissed after the season. The guy I want controlling the defense next year is Seattle's linebacker coach- Ken Norton Jr. He has been apart of that dominate defense since 2010 .

This is a passing league and his defenses have ranked near dead last pretty much every year as a DC in sacks (over 7 years). I am usually a pretty easy guy on coaches but Tucker was a complete disaster as was Decamilis and both need to be shown the door. This is coming from a guy that would have given Shoop more time for god sakes. Tucker makes Bob Babich look competent as a DC.

This is a passing league and his defenses have ranked near dead last pretty much every year as a DC in sacks (over 7 years). I am usually a pretty easy guy on coaches but Tucker was a complete disaster as was Decamilis and both need to be shown the door. This is coming from a guy that would have given Shoop more time for god sakes. Tucker makes Bob Babich look competent as a DC.

this is no hire because he was an 85 bear like you hear some people clammering for every player on that team as their coach.

leslie frazier has made his bones coaching. he has been coaching for over 25 years and 16 of those in the nfl.

in college he was a head coach for Trinity College for 9 years before coaching DB's at Illinois for 2 years.

he moved to the NFL in 1999 as DB coach for the eagles and coached there for 3 years. then moved up the ladder in 2003 to the bengals as their defensive coordinator under marv lewis for 2 years. in 2005 he moved to the colts as DB coach under dungy and was coaching against us in the 2006 superbowl.

in 2007 he went to minny as their DC/assistant HC for 4 years. in 2008 be became their HC until his firing in 2013.

his nfl record:

1999 eagles DB coach - passing - 15th yds gained; 19th for TD's; 11th for NY/A

2000 eagles DB coach - passing - 7th yds gained; 2nd TD's; 3rd NY/A

2001 eagles DB coach - passing - 2nd yds gained; 2nd TD's; 4th NY/A

2002 eagles DB coach - passing - 7th yds gained; 7th TD's; 2nd NY/A

frasier worked under jim johnson his entire time in philly. the learning experience he gained under johnson had to have at least some effect from one of the best.

EDIT i forgot to add the passing and rushing stats. his defense improved the 2nd season which shows progress as him as a DC with the bengals.

2003 bengals - defensive coordinator - 28th points allowed; 28th yds allowed

passing - 24th yds; 22nd TD's; NY/A 27th

rushing - 25th yds; 26th TD's; 30th Y/A

2004 bengals - defensive coordinator - 21st points allowed; 19th yds

passing - 13th yds; 17th TD's; NY/A 12th

rushing - 26th yds; 12th TD's; Y/A 22nd

after leslies departure the bengals got no better on defense and worse in some stats.

2005 colts - DB coach - passing - 15th yds; 6th TD's; 10th NY/A

2006 colts - DB coach - passing - 2nd yds; 5th TD's; 13th NY/A

worked under DC ron meeks and dungy as HC

2007 vikings DC - 12th pts; 20th yds - offensive minded HC

passing - 32nd yds; 15th TD's; NY/A 18th

rushing - 1st yds; 3rd TD's; Y/A 2nd

2008 vikings DC/AHC - 13th pts; 6th yds - offensive minded HC

passing - 18th yds; 5th TD's; NY/A 13th

rushing - 1st yds; 6th TD's; Y/A 2nd

2009 vikings DC/AHC - 10th pts; 6th yds - offensive minded HC

passing - 19th yds; 23rd TD's; NY/A 16th

rushing - 2nd yds; 1st TD's; Y/A 6th

2010 vikings HC - 18th pts; 8th yds

passing - 9th yds; 21st TD's; NY/A 13th

rushing - 9th yds; 10th TD's; Y/A 9th

2011 vikings HC - 31st pts; 21st yds

passing - 26th yds; 32nd TD's; NY/A 25th

rushing - 11th yds; 6th TD's; Y/A 6th

2012 vikings HC - 14th pts; 16th yds

passing - 24th yds; 23 TD's; NY/A 10th

rushing - 11th yds; 8th TD's; Y/A 7th

2013 vikings HC - 32nd pts; 31st yds

passing - 31st yds; 32nd TD's; NY/A 23rd

rushing - 16th yds; 18th TD's; Y/A 13th

as a head coach.... no. as a defensive coordinator... yes. he has proven he can at least coach in the nfl on that level and has worked with some of the best in that area. is he the best out there? probably not but in my opinion he is light years better than what we have. if we find someone better great. if not this is a very good option.