Yahoo take on deal

madlithuanian

Thanks fir sharing, but that was a completely useless article. All of those QB'S had a better OL and coordinator those years previous to this. I'm not a Cutler apologist but damn. Nobody could work under those conditions. Hester as the number one receiver, Tice as OC, Webb...

i agree. as i have said before, cutler has NO stats in chicago other than this season. the rest of the time he was here is garbage for any useful statistics. this was an amateur offense we ran in chicago run by amateur coaches and players.

the only stats we can bring to bear are his time in denver for 2 years and this season.

Mad I for one don't see this as a "useless" article. What I see it as is a confirmation on what many here have said. Cutler is a mediocre level franchise QB and the Bears paid him to stay. The reason being is that in the better part of their 100 year existence the team hasn't had many let alone in the modern era. And the alternative is lack of good FAs, a decent elder back up with the option to find a the next Russel Wilson in the draft. The Bears essentially had to put up or shut up. They chose to put up.

And for the record; to those QBs he was compared to Rodgers was sacked more times than was Cutler in one three year span. And there is no denying Cutler is turnover prone. If his history doesn't show it this year confirmed it, especially early on. And lastly, the point about injury is definitely one to consider. How many concussions, broken thumbs, torn groin and high ankle sprains have kept him out of games these last few years? Thats a risk, no matter how you slice it. Apparently one the Franchise is ok with moving forward.

i agree. as i have said before, cutler has NO stats in chicago other than this season. the rest of the time he was here is garbage for any useful statistics. this was an amateur offense we ran in chicago run by amateur coaches and players.

the only stats we can bring to bear are his time in denver for 2 years and this season.

You can't say that, the last 2 years he has had Forte, Marshall, and Jeffery. Then added Bennett at TE this year. Other QB's have done more with less.

You can't say that, the last 2 years he has had Forte, Marshall, and Jeffery. Then added Bennett at TE this year. Other QB's have done more with less.

Coach meat head and J Marcus Webb don't sway your opinion at all? How about Alshon being a soft rookie, Forte and Marshall less than healthy. Oh, Kellen Davis...

Coach meat head and J Marcus Webb don't sway your opinion at all? How about Alshon being a soft rookie, Forte and Marshall less than healthy. Oh, Kellen Davis...

I just don't think you can discount players stats because the stats don't support a certain position or point of view. Superstars are still really good, even on bad teams. They make the other players around them better. The red flag is when you improve the talent around a player and the play of that player does not improve as much as the talent. Just look at Cutler's numbers "with no one" and with the current team:

His best yards per game before this season was 231.9 and that improved to 238.3 this year.

A 6.4 yard improvement from 2011 to 2013. With all these stud playmakers, and all we get is 6 yards?

TD/INT Ratio - 2013 was his 3rd best year, not his best, though he had the best talent and O-Line he ever had.

7.4 yards an attempt? Tied for 2nd best, and again with the best supporting cast.

The only noticeable improvement was his Comp% at 63.1, up from 60.5 in 2009. Now the interesting part is this could be that the receivers are actually better and making the tougher catches, not that he is more accurate, which is an interesting perspective. He could be the same guy but the receivers are bringing the completion % up.

So in the end, we know exactly what we are going to get from Cutler. After 8 years in the league, he is not going to magically change, and this was evident this year because technically he was very similar to what he has always been. He is going to average around 230 yards passing, and have a TD/INT Ratio of about 1.5. If you include fumbles, his TD to Turnover ratio is going to be very close to 1:1. I still don't see why we are paying him that much but I guess knowing what we are going to get every week is better than what we've had in the past.

Eight now he is very similar to Jim Everett from the Rams. Both were 1st round picks who have/had one Pro Bowl and one season with more than 4,000 yards passing somewhat early in their careers and never really did much after that. I really really really hope Cutler proves me wrong and blows this comparison out of the water. Otherwise, we know what to expect for the next few years.

I just don't think you can discount players stats because the stats don't support a certain position or point of view. Superstars are still really good, even on bad teams. They make the other players around them better. The red flag is when you improve the talent around a player and the play of that player does not improve as much as the talent. Just look at Cutler's numbers "with no one" and with the current team:

His best yards per game before this season was 231.9 and that improved to 238.3 this year.

A 6.4 yard improvement from 2011 to 2013. With all these stud playmakers, and all we get is 6 yards?

TD/INT Ratio - 2013 was his 3rd best year, not his best, though he had the best talent and O-Line he ever had.

7.4 yards an attempt? Tied for 2nd best, and again with the best supporting cast.

The only noticeable improvement was his Comp% at 63.1, up from 60.5 in 2009. Now the interesting part is this could be that the receivers are actually better and making the tougher catches, not that he is more accurate, which is an interesting perspective. He could be the same guy but the receivers are bringing the completion % up.

So in the end, we know exactly what we are going to get from Cutler. After 8 years in the league, he is not going to magically change, and this was evident this year because technically he was very similar to what he has always been. He is going to average around 230 yards passing, and have a TD/INT Ratio of about 1.5. If you include fumbles, his TD to Turnover ratio is going to be very close to 1:1. I still don't see why we are paying him that much but I guess knowing what we are going to get every week is better than what we've had in the past.

Eight now he is very similar to Jim Everett from the Rams. Both were 1st round picks who have/had one Pro Bowl and one season with more than 4,000 yards passing somewhat early in their careers and never really did much after that. I really really really hope Cutler proves me wrong and blows this comparison out of the water. Otherwise, we know what to expect for the next few years.

That YPG stat is misleading because it includes the Washington game where he only played in 4 series before getting knocked out. Eliminate that game and he passed for 259 a game.

He's also getting rid of the ball much quicker, which is pretty huge. I know this will stir up more shit from the anti PFF-ers, but last year the line gave up 133 Hurries, 35 hits, and 42 sacks....This year? 184 Hurries, 46 hits, and 20 sacks....What's the difference??? Jay was near the top 10, if not in the top ten in getting the ball out quickest. Last years Cutler would have been sacked 50 times.

His Total QBR was also 11 points higher than his best year here, and only 6 points lower than his pro bowl year in Denver. His Passer Rating is also the highest of his career.

I honestly don't think the INTs will ever go away, I think they'll always be in that 15-20 range, and I have no problem with that. Eli Manning has lead the league in INTs 3 times, yet has 2 rings. Favre holds the record for INTs and he's won Super Bowls...I'm not exactly saying that they don't matter, just that you can win with them.

All in all, this was year 1 in a system that was supposedly gonna take 3 years to master. If he stays healthy, and his numbers continue to improve like they should, we could have ourselves a pro bowl QB.