2013-2014 Playoff Open Thread

adam

Denver made a living putting up gaudy numbers against bad defenses this year. If Tommie Harris and Mike Brown were healthy in the Bear's Superbowl, Manning would be 0 for 3.

Yeah, I still am pissed about that game. We should've won easily, but our defense was banged up.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Favorite tweet I saw during the game....

John Mullin ‏@CSNMoonMullin 3h

Whatever #Bears need to spend on DL in draft, free agcy they have to do. Seattle living on front 4 rush.

.....LOB gets the hype but man that DL was suffocating. They(LOB) don't look as great without those guys up front.

As an official I usually say most complaints are baseless because the average fan has no clue. But it was definitely shocking to see that nobody saw Bowman with the ball on the ground. That should have been SF's ball for sure. I also agree that it should have been roughing instead of running into the punter.

But to say it was a ten point swing on those two plays is ridiculous. I'm pretty sure Seattle fumbled on the very next play after that the Bowman play. Net loss was about ten yards. And the difference in a 15 yard penalty and a 5 yard penalty for roughing did not make that big of a difference. The Niners were on their own 20, so the possibility of them scoring was still very much in question. Additionally, the Seahawks started the next drive on their 38. The 62 yards and TD the Niners gave up are much more responsible than a single, ten-yard penalty.

I agree about most fans, but those two plays were pretty blatant.

Why is a 10 point swing ridiculous on 2 game changing calls? For the punt, the 49ers retain possession of the ball, now at their own 35 and can get to the end of the quarter before Seattle even gets the ball back. Even if SF doesn't get another 1st Down, there is a good chance that Seattle starts with worse field position than the 38. The 10 points was with the assumption that based on field position alone, that would alter the rest of the game. I was figuring +3 pts for SF and -7 for SEA.

So just say they only gain those 15 yards and punt anyway, but now Seattle starts at their own 23, there is a much greater chance they do not score. Even if they score a FG, they are up 19-17 as SF drives and can kick a FG with 55 seconds left to win the game instead of being forced to score a TD. That punt missed call easily was the difference. So if not a 10 pt swing, at least 7 (-4 SEA and +3 SF) but either way, it was the difference in the game which was my point.

I just lumped the other bad call in about the fumble because it was an obvious missed call and something that needs to be reviewable.