2014 Free Agents to fix the Defense

Wesson44

Below is a list of the top 25 free agents that might be on the market on March 11. Who do you think should be the best fit for our defense and maybe the offense too. My picks are in BOLD

1. Jimmy Graham, New Orleans Saints tight end

2. Greg Hardy, Carolina Panthers defensive end

3. Brian Orakpo, Washington Redskins linebacker

4. Jairus Byrd, Buffalo Bills safety

5. T.J. Ward, Cleveland Browns safety

6. Alterraun Verner, Tennessee Titans cornerback

7. Branden Albert, Kansas City Chiefs left tackle

8. Michael Johnson, Cincinnati Bengals defensive end

9. Lamarr Houston, Oakland Raiders defensive end

10. Brent Grimes, Miami Dolphins cornerback

11. Eugene Monroe, Baltimore Ravens left tackle

12. Vontae Davis, Indianapolis Colts cornerback

13. Linval Joseph, New York Giants defensive tackle

14. Jason Hatcher, Dallas Cowboys defensive tackle

15. Jared Veldheer, Oakland Raiders left tackle

16. Aqib Talib, New England Patriots cornerback

17. Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, Denver Broncos cornerback

18. Alex Mack, Cleveland Browns center

19. Eric Decker, Denver Broncos wide receiver

20. Michael Bennett, Seattle Seahawks defensive end

21. B.J. Raji, Green Bay Packers defensive tackle

22. Sam Shields, Green Bay Packers cornerback

23. Walter Thurmond, Seattle Seahawks cornerback

24. Donald Butler, San Diego Chargers linebacker

25. Randy Starks, Miami Dolphins defensive tackle

If the team transitions to 3-4, I think someone like Raji would be prime for the NT spot. And it takes a good player away from the cheese whizzers.

They can keep Raji.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedi...content.11.html

Can probably get a rock in the middle in the 2nd-4th round who would be just as good as him or probably better.....Or give me Terrance Cody who will come much, much cheaper.

They can keep Raji.

Can probably get a rock in the middle in the 2nd-4th round who would be just as good as him or probably better.....Or give me Terrance Cody who will come much, much cheaper.

Just got back from a week in Honduras(warm weather) so I can rap my mind around all of things we are talking about. I think Cody is someone we could realistically get.

This is my take: the Bears have set themselves up to be flexible with the cap so I think we get one FA with a good contract and a couple of lower end FAs.

I think they release Peppers so we resign Wooten as one DE( will come back to us on low end contract)

I think we go after one DE like a Bennett that we wont get raped.

We are in best position to get a moderate contract with Ratliff,Collins and probably Melton on a incentive laden contract.

I think we bring back Bowman and dont end up with Peanut.

We are suppose to be going young, but a thought of mine is to bring in some defensive leadership, maybe go after Vilma,MLB , could be got cheap, NO has big time cap issues.

I think he could add some grit to the middle of defense and was there defensive leader until he was hurt, will be 32 thou next year. JUST THINKING OUT LOUD

With all of the cap issues in NOs and with Grahams contract expired maybe we could get Brian LePuerta beings he has ties with our OC. A young pro caliber center

I think the rest of positions will be addressed in draft

I think we will be signing a whole bunch of 1mil FAs similar to last year.

If I want to play Fantasy FAgency I could throw out lots of names, the fact is we will grab one good FA and a bunch of fill in the blanks. wish is wasnt so.

They can keep Raji.

I seem to recall Urlacher always getting the title of ' overrated' year after year. Hmmm...

But you're right, you can probably find an anchor for less in the draft.

I seem to recall Urlacher always getting the title of ' overrated' year after year. Hmmm...

But you're right, you can probably find an anchor for less in the draft.

Ya, he's actually on that same list I linked. Some I agree on, some I don't. I agree with the list on Raji though.

I don't think he's terrible, there's a difference between bad and overrated, I just think he's going to be paid way more than he's worth.

Ya, he's actually on that same list I linked. Some I agree on, some I don't. I agree with the list on Raji though.

I don't think he's terrible, there's a difference between bad and overrated, I just think he's going to be paid way more than he's worth.

I wish to throw out the name of Stevie Brown/S/Giants. He is a free agent, 5/11 221/ 4 year veteran. Had a big year 2012, 78 tackles, 8 int,11 PDs, 2 FF. in 11 starts.

He is coming off an injury in 2013, if healthy, a up and comer that be gotten for a decent price. I dont think we have the money to go after Byrd or Ward, so an alternate plan.

Another name I like is Brian De La Puerta/OC/NO. he is a FA and with there cap problems, he may be ripe for the picking.

I wish to throw out the name of Stevie Brown/S/Giants. He is a free agent, 5/11 221/ 4 year veteran. Had a big year 2012, 78 tackles, 8 int,11 PDs, 2 FF. in 11 starts.

He is coming off an injury in 2013, if healthy, a up and comer that be gotten for a decent price. I dont think we have the money to go after Byrd or Ward, so an alternate plan.

Another name I like is Brian De La Puerta/OC/NO. he is a FA and with there cap problems, he may be ripe for the picking.

Not a bad couple of names there. Brown, judging from a quick google search, seems to want to stay in New York, but then again 75% of players will say they wanna stick where they are and it doesn't necessarily happen.

DLP probably hits the market and would be a good signing but I'm kinda mixed on spending any sort of "significant" money on the offense. The D could really use every penny spent on them, they need a plethora of starters and more quality depth.

Also, I retract all previous statements about Micheal Bennett not fitting in a 3-4. After keeping a close eye on him in todays game I think he'd be more than big and strong enough to play in a 3-4.

If they move to a 3-4 I want Bennett, Cody, a 2nd tier safety, a 2nd tier CB, and some depth.

Give me Bennett and the top safety available if they stick with a 4-3

Not a bad couple of names there. Brown, judging from a quick google search, seems to want to stay in New York, but then again 75% of players will say they wanna stick where they are and it doesn't necessarily happen.

DLP probably hits the market and would be a good signing but I'm kinda mixed on spending any sort of "significant" money on the offense. The D could really use every penny spent on them, they need a plethora of starters and more quality depth.

Also, I retract all previous statements about Micheal Bennett not fitting in a 3-4. After keeping a close eye on him in todays game I think he'd be more than big and strong enough to play in a 3-4.

If they move to a 3-4 I want Bennett, Cody, a 2nd tier safety, a 2nd tier CB, and some depth.

If they bring back Garza, I suspect they will have to pay him around 3, in a new contract for DLP, that could probably get in done in the first year. Young guy, or Garza, lets move younger.

I'd be damn happy if they came away with Byrd and Bennett. Resign Melton, if it is on our terms. Let Julius walk. Peanut probably does not return, rather opting to join Lovie in Tampa, so to be greedy, I'd look to see if there is a bargain CB who can compete with Bowman, if we don't draft one in the 2nd.

If they bring back Garza, I suspect they will have to pay him around 3, in a new contract for DLP, that could probably get in done in the first year. Young guy, or Garza, lets move younger.

Was hearing good things about Taylor Boggs again last week on the Score. Not sure if he will pan out but it would be huge if he did and then they didn't have to find that next Center.

Boggs

The more and more I think about it I don't see us switching to a 3-4. Call it a gut feeling

Agreed, there is not going to be a full out change. Doesn't Tucker have more experience with the 4-3 rather than the 3-4; I'd rather he coach to his strength.

Ha! Not sure what that is.

I think the only conjecture about switching to a 3-4 is due to SMc sucking so badly on the line they're looking to salvage that pick (and Emery's reputation) by moving him somewhere they think he can succeed. And I'm not a fan of changing things simply to make up for a bad pick by the GM. We're two years into the SMc experiement and the dude just plain blows. If there are other compelling reasons to make the switch, fine. Just make it work better than whatever it was we saw out there this season, for Christ's sake...

Ha! Not sure what that is.

I think the only conjecture about switching to a 3-4 is due to SMc sucking so badly on the line they're looking to salvage that pick (and Emery's reputation) by moving him somewhere they think he can succeed. And I'm not a fan of changing things simply to make up for a bad pick by the GM. We're two years into the SMc experiement and the dude just plain blows. If there are other compelling reasons to make the switch, fine. Just make it work better than whatever it was we saw out there this season, for Christ's sake...

SMC does suck and I hate to think they would switch to capitalize on the perceived strengths of one player. I thought when the false news about Pasquenelli's hire that perhaps they might try mixing it up with some hybrid 3-4 due to Pasq's background. I thought that would be a good hire because clearly Tucker needs help.

I really wouldn't be surprised either way. Right now the D needs so many players that they can fill holes for either defense. The players they DO have signed on defense fit both schemes IMO.

Briggs- I've got no evidence to back this up, but it seems like when Briggs does blitz he has some good success. I think he fits in a 3-4

Jennings- Although cover 2 is still possible in a 3-4, man to man is more of the norm and Jennings has the speed to play m2m.

SMC- Better fit in a 3-4. Not sure he has the coverage skills to play LB in a 4-3

Paea- I really think he can play the NT or even DE in a 3-4.

Bostic- Some scouting reports coming into the draft said he's better suited to play ILB in a 3-4

Greene- I'm reading that Rutgers played some 3-4 groupings where Greene lined up inside, so he has some experience there

Washington- Can be a freak as a rush LB

Bass- See above

Frey- Good enough size and speed to provide depth at CB.

So player personnel can go either way IMO.

It's going to be interesting to see what happens. I'm not sure if the Paul Pascuanelli as LBs coach rumors have been confirmed yet, but if true it may be telling sign that they run at least some sort of hybrid.

I really wouldn't be surprised either way. Right now the D needs so many players that they can fill holes for either defense. The players they DO have signed on defense fit both schemes IMO.

Briggs- I've got no evidence to back this up, but it seems like when Briggs does blitz he has some good success. I think he fits in a 3-4

Jennings- Although cover 2 is still possible in a 3-4, man to man is more of the norm and Jennings has the speed to play m2m.

SMC- Better fit in a 3-4. Not sure he has the coverage skills to play LB in a 4-3

Paea- I really think he can play the NT or even DE in a 3-4.

Bostic- Some scouting reports coming into the draft said he's better suited to play ILB in a 3-4

Greene- I'm reading that Rutgers played some 3-4 groupings where Greene lined up inside, so he has some experience there

Washington- Can be a freak as a rush LB

Bass- See above

Frey- Good enough size and speed to provide depth at CB.

So player personnel can go either way IMO.

It's going to be interesting to see what happens. I'm not sure if the Paul Pascuanelli as LBs coach rumors have been confirmed yet, but if true it may be telling sign that they run at least some sort of hybrid.

With the personal they still have, I think it wont be a true 3-4, the base will be a 4-3 and thhey will run a hybrid 3-4 with the same personal.

Garzas money according to OVER THE CAP WEBSITE , it showed him being paid , 3.2 but it showed his cap space as 2.1 so I dont know if that means that was a bonus, and his salary was 1.1, so it covers the difference.

Could be a hybrid, could be a straight 4-3, or it could be a 3-4. I don't see the player personnel leaning one way or the other to be honest. If the stick with a 4-3 they still need to sign 3 starting lineman(if Peppers is cut) 2 starting safeties and 1 starting CB. For a 3-4 you could argue that they need 2 starting lineman(assuming Paea gets a spot), 2 safeties, and a LB. So unless you don't think Paea is a good starting option as a DT/DE(whatever you wanna call it) then the number of starters needed is exactly the same.....One could argue that it may just be cheaper to sign our own though.

Could be a hybrid, could be a straight 4-3, or it could be a 3-4. I don't see the player personnel leaning one way or the other to be honest. If the stick with a 4-3 they still need to sign 3 starting lineman(if Peppers is cut) 2 starting safeties and 1 starting CB. For a 3-4 you could argue that they need 2 starting lineman(assuming Paea gets a spot), 2 safeties, and a LB. So unless you don't think Paea is a good starting option as a DT/DE(whatever you wanna call it) then the number of starters needed is exactly the same.....One could argue that it may just be cheaper to sign our own though.

Some 2nd tier FAgents I would like to see us sign.(in no particular order)

Dexter McCluster/KR/WR --------could play the slot and is a good KR we could get for the same money Hester will probably cost to bring back. 26 years old

Brian De La Puente/OC-----------he wont command a large contract but wont be cheap either. It is an above average center with ties to Kromer who could probably get him here. 29 years old

Vance Walker/DT------------------40 tackles, 3 sacks at 6-3 305, adds a little more beef to the rotation 27 years old

Everson Griffen/DE---------------13+1/2 sacks the last two years in a part time role, may be able to catch cheap with upside 27 years old

Jon Beason/MLB------------------ a team leader type, stout against the run 93 tackles-one interception at 29 years old

Cris Cook/CB--------------------a high round pick that didnt pan out, 6-2 with 4.46 speed, maybe we can restart his career with a new home 27 years old

Stevie Brown/S-----------------coming off of knee surgery but had a very good 2012, might be able to catch him cheap until he proves himself again 29 years old

Other than De La Puente all of these players can come on team friendly contracts