mock drafts-ongoing list

Stinger226

Bears staff shows interest in 3-4 LB, more indication of a change? Freakish size and speed ratio.

6'3" 260 4.62 40 time

50 tackles, 7 for loss, 12.5 sacks, two ints, one FF,

Projects as an ideal 3-4 outside linebacker in the NFL. He has the athletic ability to drop into coverage and play space. He is a fabulous edge rusher who will give offenses fits with how to slow him down coming around the corner. He also has the ability to play some inside linebacker to stuff runs and rush up the middle. His instincts are phenomenal, and they allow him to create splash plays. He could turn into a special perimeter linebacker who will impact game plans.

Strengths:

Extremely instinctive . Very versatile . Propensity to make splash plays . Excellent pass rusher off the edge . Uses hands and feet well . Great hip/shoulder flexibility to turn the corner . Nice repertoire of moves . Operates well lining up off the line of scrimmage . Fluid athlete to drop into coverage . Has some ball-skills . Intelligent; can learn multiple positions . Plays well in space . Durable . Experienced; ready to play immediately in the NFL . Good pursuit skills . Shedding blocks . Excellent technique . Consistently productive . Relentless motor

Weaknesses: . Weight fluctuates . Bit of a tweener in a 4-3 defense . Could add some more strength

:blink:

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bears staff shows interest in 3-4 LB, more indication of a change? Freakish size and speed ratio.

6'3" 260 4.62 40 time

50 tackles, 7 for loss, 12.5 sacks, two ints, one FF,

Projects as an ideal 3-4 outside linebacker in the NFL. He has the athletic ability to drop into coverage and play space. He is a fabulous edge rusher who will give offenses fits with how to slow him down coming around the corner. He also has the ability to play some inside linebacker to stuff runs and rush up the middle. His instincts are phenomenal, and they allow him to create splash plays. He could turn into a special perimeter linebacker who will impact game plans.

Strengths:

Extremely instinctive . Very versatile . Propensity to make splash plays . Excellent pass rusher off the edge . Uses hands and feet well . Great hip/shoulder flexibility to turn the corner . Nice repertoire of moves . Operates well lining up off the line of scrimmage . Fluid athlete to drop into coverage . Has some ball-skills . Intelligent; can learn multiple positions . Plays well in space . Durable . Experienced; ready to play immediately in the NFL . Good pursuit skills . Shedding blocks . Excellent technique . Consistently productive . Relentless motor

Weaknesses: . Weight fluctuates . Bit of a tweener in a 4-3 defense . Could add some more strength

Does the freak have a name?

Does the freak have a name?

Ahhh, of course!!! Since we already drafted this freak in 2011, Shea McClellin. I wanted to compare his measurable to players this year with the thinking of a 3-4 switch.

Looking at Cornelius Washington's profile, he also has nice measurables.

6'4" 265 4.53 40 time

I believe Phil Emery had some idea of a switch when he was hired. Not sure if those picks will end up translating, but if so, we have 1 OLB McClellin, 2 ILB Bostic/Briggs.

Ahhh, of course!!! Since we already drafted this freak in 2011, Shea McClellin. I wanted to compare his measurable to players this year with the thinking of a 3-4 switch.

Looking at Cornelius Washington's profile, he also has nice measurables.

6'4" 265 4.53 40 time

I believe Phil Emery had some idea of a switch when he was hired. Not sure if those picks will end up translating, but if so, we have 1 OLB McClellin, 2 ILB Bostic/Briggs.

Do you think Greene would be able to play the other outside LB? He seemed to have the speed. Don't know much about the 3-4 as I have always liked the 4-3 scheme better.

Do you think Greene would be able to play the other outside LB? He seemed to have the speed. Don't know much about the 3-4 as I have always liked the 4-3 scheme better.

Greene is an ILB in a 3-4, and he was most compared to Lance Briggs coming out Rutgers. His best fit is a WLB in a cover 2 defense.

Greene is an ILB in a 3-4, and he was most compared to Lance Briggs coming out Rutgers. His best fit is a WLB in a cover 2 defense.

Pretty much. That's one of the issues with the 3-4 transition: it kind of dumps Greene into the trash. Bostic and Briggs are obviously the ILB's, and SMC is obviously the Jack. I like the idea of taking a risk on him as the other OLB, but I don't think it would pay off because he's far too small and unrefined as a pass rusher to make a real impact on the edge. Other teams would have a better percentage of understanding where the rushers were coming from, thus somewhat negating the point of the 3-4.

Pretty much. That's one of the issues with the 3-4 transition: it kind of dumps Greene into the trash. Bostic and Briggs are obviously the ILB's, and SMC is obviously the Jack. I like the idea of taking a risk on him as the other OLB, but I don't think it would pay off because he's far too small and unrefined as a pass rusher to make a real impact on the edge. Other teams would have a better percentage of understanding where the rushers were coming from, thus somewhat negating the point of the 3-4.

I'd like to see more of a hybrid, but yeah, Greene seems to be a WLB cover2 guy. But you never know, he played Safety early on at Rutgers, so he has speed and ability to adjust. Maybe he can take the next step.

I'd like to see more of a hybrid, but yeah, Greene seems to be a WLB cover2 guy. But you never know, he played Safety early on at Rutgers, so he has speed and ability to adjust. Maybe he can take the next step.

He's too small to be a good 3-4 OLB. He'd have to put on about 20 lbs. If he could keep his speed at that weight, it might be worth the effort.

A few teams I can think of that run a 3-4...

Arizona

Abraham - 6'4" - 260

Shaughnessy - 6'5" - 280

Baltimore

Suggs - 6'3" - 260

Dumervil - 5'11" - 260

Cleveland

Kruger - 6'4" - 270

Sheard - 6'2" - 255

Green Bay

Perry - 6'3" - 265

Mulumba - 6'3" - 260

Houston

Reed - 6'3" - 254

Mercilus - 6'4" - 258

San Francisco

Brooks - 6'3" - 259

Smith - 6'4" - 265

He's too small to be a good 3-4 OLB. He'd have to put on about 20 lbs. If he could keep his speed at that weight, it might be worth the effort.

A few teams I can think of that run a 3-4...

Arizona

Abraham - 6'4" - 260

Shaughnessy - 6'5" - 280

Baltimore

Suggs - 6'3" - 260

Dumervil - 5'11" - 260

Cleveland

Kruger - 6'4" - 270

Sheard - 6'2" - 255

Green Bay

Perry - 6'3" - 265

Mulumba - 6'3" - 260

Houston

Reed - 6'3" - 254

Mercilus - 6'4" - 258

San Francisco

Brooks - 6'3" - 259

Smith - 6'4" - 265

SCM and Washington both fall into those numbers, I dont think Bostic is a 3-4 type OLB at his size.

If they do move Briggs inside with Bostic I really wouldn't mind seeing Washington given a shot. I think he's a better fit there than at 4-3 DE. I think he's got the potential to be a monster using the 4.5 speed off the edge. Both he and SMC would be question marks IMO but it's worth a try. The D won't be fixed in year 1 so I think it's fine to try those 2 out on the edge...If they fail, you know what to look for next year.

The bigger key will be the front 3. You need guys that demand double teams. That doesn't nessessarily mean size like I mentioned in the other tread, a guy like Aaron Donald is going to command a double team because he's just so damn explosive and knows how to move. After doing the research I did about smaller guys in a 3-4 I still really like the idea of trading down and grabbing him....Not as the NT, though I think he could play there, but as a 5 tech (DE in a 3-4). Then I'd still like to see them sign Cody and resign Ratliff making the DL Donald-Cody-Ratliff.

Even better then, didn't bust the trade value chart out, a 3rd just sounded more reasonable.

I've read some SF forums, and many fans there are also mentioning trading some picks to move up. They know they dont have room for 13 draft picks. They also are coveting two stud WRs to add into the mix. Might be something we can work out. But if the want Watkins, they will need to get into the top 10.

If they do move Briggs inside with Bostic I really wouldn't mind seeing Washington given a shot. I think he's a better fit there than at 4-3 DE. I think he's got the potential to be a monster using the 4.5 speed off the edge. Both he and SMC would be question marks IMO but it's worth a try. The D won't be fixed in year 1 so I think it's fine to try those 2 out on the edge...If they fail, you know what to look for next year.

The bigger key will be the front 3. You need guys that demand double teams. That doesn't nessessarily mean size like I mentioned in the other tread, a guy like Aaron Donald is going to command a double team because he's just so damn explosive and knows how to move. After doing the research I did about smaller guys in a 3-4 I still really like the idea of trading down and grabbing him....Not as the NT, though I think he could play there, but as a 5 tech (DE in a 3-4). Then I'd still like to see them sign Cody and resign Ratliff making the DL Donald-Cody-Ratliff.

Every single draft the guys who can rush the passer move up and get chosen higher than initially expected at the end of the college season. I don't see any reason Donald will not do the same after his Senior Bowl performance. I certainly don't see him dropping. I wouldn't count on trading down that far and still be able to draft him. CBS has Donald as 20th best player overall. If he's the guy and we think he's going to be a Pro Bowl player (which is clearly the target in Rd 1) we should just take him when our pick comes around like we did with Kyle Long. I thought Long would easily be available in the 2nd Rd yet he played well at Senior Bowl and now he is sitting in Hawaii.

I also remember the deal with Dwight Freeney who we were widely rumored to be targeting. The Colts traded up ahead of us and just took him "way early". Everyone said they were crazy to do that but they said he has the talent we need. By the end of his first season there were no more questions on that one.

If we trade back to late first round it must be because we have the talent in the early 2nd Rd ranked nearly as high as high as Donald. If there's a significant drop off I'd stay put and grab the potential Pro Bowl player any day even if it's a bit earlier than the pundits think they should have gone.

I suppose I could have just stated all this as don't do another JA move and trade down and then miss out on your targeted player.

That very well could end up what happens and I wouldn't hate it at all. I'm just living in an ideal world where we can still get the guy while also picking up a 2nd rounder.

here is a 3 round draft from The Football Spot 1/16/14

1-Hageman/DT/Minn

2-Colvin/CB/Okla

3-Bullough/MLB/MSU

not familiar with the last two names

using there draft here is who I would take:

1-Hageman/DT/Minn---------------We need a large man to add to our line and he is 6-6 318, athletic, can play several positions along the line

2-Bucannon/SS/WashSt------------He has size and 109 tackles with 5 interceptions his senior year. A playmaker type we desperately need.

3-Jones/DT/PennSta----------------He was still available in this round so I thought I had to take him. A productive 6-3 318lb that could also fit in a DE spot in the 3-4.

I feel our biggest need is to be strong up the middle and these 3 would go along way at making that happen. I also thought about Smallwood/MLB that was still available in the third, another need spot for us.

here is a 3 round draft from The Football Spot 1/16/14

1-Hageman/DT/Minn

2-Colvin/CB/Okla

3-Bullough/MLB/MSU

not familiar with the last two names

using there draft here is who I would take:

1-Hageman/DT/Minn---------------We need a large man to add to our line and he is 6-6 318, athletic, can play several positions along the line

2-Bucannon/SS/WashSt------------He has size and 109 tackles with 5 interceptions his senior year. A playmaker type we desperately need.

3-Jones/DT/PennSta----------------He was still available in this round so I thought I had to take him. A productive 6-3 318lb that could also fit in a DE spot in the 3-4.

I feel our biggest need is to be strong up the middle and these 3 would go along way at making that happen. I also thought about Smallwood/MLB that was still available in the third, another need spot for us.

I like the idea of SS in the draft and hope we sign a FS in FA. Bucannon is a player I like, brings some thump. I'd be happy with your first 3.

I think it's just because we know they have a boat load of picks so it's easy to speculate that they might be willing to move some of those picks. Trading with an inferior team is ideal, but it's hard to judge who might be willing to do so until some reports come out.

That said though...Looking at the trade value chart(something I didn't do before) the Bears should be able to get a 2nd AND a 3rd round pick for trading down to the 30 spot....With the state of the D I'd trade with any team if it meant I got 5 picks in the first 3 rounds..

Since I'm bored and there's nothing else to talk about.....(using WF 4 round mock)

1R (30)- Aaron Donald or Stephon Tuitt DT- Both guys can fit as either a 3 technique in a 4-3 or 5 technique in a 3-4.

2R (51)- LaMarcus Joyner S- Also played CB so he should be good in coverage, and he's also a real physical tackler.

2R (61)- Stanley Jean Baptiste or Pierre Desir CB- Big, physical corner to take over for Peanut should they move on.

3R (77)- Josh Mauro DE- Another guy who fits both a 3-4 and a 4-3. big and strong enough to play 3-4 end, and quick enough to play 4-3 end.

3R (81)- Ed Reynolds S- A big safety to compliment the undersized Joyner....Not sure how I feel about 2 rookie safeties but it couldn't be worse than Conte/Wright...It also gives the Bears the chance to just blow their load on a pass rushing DE.

4R- Tyler Larson OC- Said to be really athletic for a center so I think he fits nicely in the inside out scheme Kromer runs

The more picks they can get the better.

I think it's just because we know they have a boat load of picks so it's easy to speculate that they might be willing to move some of those picks. Trading with an inferior team is ideal, but it's hard to judge who might be willing to do so until some reports come out.

That said though...Looking at the trade value chart(something I didn't do before) the Beas should be able to get a 2nd AND a 3rd round pick for trading down to the 30 spot....With the state of the D I'd trade with any team if it meant I got 5 picks in the first 3 rounds..

Agreed.

Agreed.

fANSPEAK has a do your own draft spot which is interesting.

here is the lasted one I did

DT AARON DONALD

PITTSBURGH

DE JACKSON JEFFCOAT

TEXAS

S JIMMIE WARD

NORTHERN ILLINOIS

DT DANIEL MCCULLERS

TENNESSEE

CB RASHAAD REYNOLDS

OREGON STATE

S KENNY LADLER

VANDERBILT

TE CROCKETT GILMORE

COLORADO STATE

fANSPEAK has a do your own draft spot which is interesting.

here is the lasted one I did

DT AARON DONALD

PITTSBURGH

DE JACKSON JEFFCOAT

TEXAS

S JIMMIE WARD

NORTHERN ILLINOIS

DT DANIEL MCCULLERS

TENNESSEE

CB RASHAAD REYNOLDS

OREGON STATE

S KENNY LADLER

VANDERBILT

TE CROCKETT GILMORE

COLORADO STATE

Fanspeak.com has a ongoing do your own draft setup. Tues at noon they update there database.

here is the latest draft I did, and I like it.

ILB C.J. MOSLEY

ALABAMA

S DEONE BUCANNON

WASHINGTON STATE

DT DAQUAN JONES

PENN STATE

DE KAREEM MARTIN

NORTH CAROLINA

CB VICTOR HAMPTON

SOUTH CAROLINA

S KENNY LADLER

VANDERBILT

TE COLT LYERLA

OREGON

Fanspeak.com has a ongoing do your own draft setup. Tues at noon they update there database. here is the latest draft I did, and I like it. 14 ILB C.J. MOSLEY ALABAMA 51 S DEONE BUCANNON WASHINGTON STATE 82 DT DAQUAN JONES PENN STATE 113 DE KAREEM MARTIN NORTH CAROLINA 144 CB VICTOR HAMPTON SOUTH CAROLINA 167 S KENNY LADLER VANDERBILT 175 TE COLT LYERLA OREGON

Interesting picks, I'd be extremely happy if we came away with this draft.

We fill ILB -Briggs will be gone next year. Mosely is known as a great leader also

We find a stud safety, which I almost prefer over Dix.

We find a big run stuffing DT. Jones can play NT in 3-4, led big 10 in TFL.

Kareem Martin in an interesting prospect at DE. He came on late and has great size/speed.

Kenny Ladler Vandy, seems like a solid pick up, we had decent luck with Vandy guys.

Fanspeak.com has a ongoing do your own draft setup. Tues at noon they update there database.

here is the latest draft I did, and I like it.

ILB C.J. MOSLEY

ALABAMA

S DEONE BUCANNON

WASHINGTON STATE

DT DAQUAN JONES

PENN STATE

DE KAREEM MARTIN

NORTH CAROLINA

CB VICTOR HAMPTON

SOUTH CAROLINA

S KENNY LADLER

VANDERBILT

TE COLT LYERLA

OREGON

With so many holes on the defense I think we need to start adding who we're signing along with our mock drafts....With this draft we probably need to sign 2 starting DEs and a starting CB (unless you're vcomfortable with a 4th and 5th round pick starting, which I am not).....This COULD be a solid draft, but at this point I'd hate it. I like your first mock muchhh better. You went from 2 guys who can get after the QB in the first 2 rounds to taking more of a 2 gap DT and a DE who's been tagged as an inconsistent pass rusher in the 3rd and 4th.

With so many holes on the defense I think we need to start adding who we're signing along with our mock drafts....With this draft we probably need to sign 2 starting DEs and a starting CB (unless you're vcomfortable with a 4th and 5th round pick starting, which I am not).....This COULD be a solid draft, but at this point I'd hate it. I like your first mock muchhh better. You went from 2 guys who can get after the QB in the first 2 rounds to taking more of a 2 gap DT and a DE who's been tagged as an inconsistent pass rusher in the 3rd and 4th.

Ok that sounds fair, but may I add, lets dont say lets sign Byrd. and Bennett,. and Hardy. That would never happen.

Be realistic is our FAs we sign. I think we may get one at a large contract, but the rest will be low pay contracts.

Ok that sounds fair, but may I add, lets dont say lets sign Byrd. and Bennett,. and Hardy. That would never happen.

Be realistic is our FAs we sign. I think we may get one at a large contract, but the rest will be low pay contracts.

Obviously gotta be a realistic signings. Who would sign to go along with that last draft of yours. Looking at it again that draft would be fine if they added 2 starting DEs, a starting 3 tech DT(unless you think Paea/Jones is suitable, which I don't) and a starting CB.

Obviously gotta be a realistic signings. Who would sign to go along with that last draft of yours. Looking at it again that draft would be fine if they added 2 starting DEs, a starting 3 tech DT(unless you think Paea/Jones is suitable, which I don't) and a starting CB.

I just noticed you didnt list a group of FAs when you listed your draft, but I will do that in my case.

I think we release Peppers, Weems,Bush,Bennett, Podlesh that frees up 16 mil in space.

I think we resign Bowman,Melton(on an incentive deal),Ratliff, and Wooten.( I dont think he gets alot of attention on the FA market,comes back cheap)

We bring in Bennett or Lamar Houston to be a DE. That is our only large contract.

We bring back Cory Graham/CB---he has played well for the Ravens and his nemesis Lovie is gone.

We bring in Stevie Brown/S-- had a great year in 2012 and had injuries last year. someone we can get reasonable

We bring in Johnathan Vilma/MLB--backs up the rookie and adds some sting to the defense

DEs- Houston/Bennett,Wooten,Bass, Martin

DTs-Melton,Ratcliff,Jones, Paea

LBs-Mosley,Vilma,Bostic, Green, SMC

CBs-Jennings,Bowman,Graham,Hampton,Frey

Ss-Conte,Brown,Ladler,Bucannon

I think that will be a better defense than last year.

Show me what you got.