mock drafts-ongoing list

Stinger226

I just noticed you didnt list a group of FAs when you listed your draft, but I will do that in my case.

I think we release Peppers, Weems,Bush,Bennett, Podlesh that frees up 16 mil in space.

I think we resign Bowman,Melton(on an incentive deal),Ratliff, and Wooten.( I dont think he gets alot of attention on the FA market,comes back cheap)

We bring in Bennett or Lamar Houston to be a DE. That is our only large contract.

We bring back Cory Graham/CB---he has played well for the Ravens and his nemesis Lovie is gone.

We bring in Stevie Brown/S-- had a great year in 2012 and had injuries last year. someone we can get reasonable

We bring in Johnathan Vilma/MLB--backs up the rookie and adds some sting to the defense

DEs- Houston/Bennett,Wooten,Bass, Martin

DTs-Melton,Ratcliff,Jones, Paea

LBs-Mosley,Vilma,Bostic, Green, SMC

CBs-Jennings,Bowman,Graham,Hampton,Frey

Ss-Conte,Brown,Ladler,Bucannon

I think that will be a better defense than last year.

Show me what you got.

I actually like it as a straight up 4-3....A 3-4, or a hybrid? not so much.

I'll throw out an updated mock offseason....It's late so I'll only go with the starters....

14 DE KONY EALY MISSOURI

51 DE STEPHON TUITT NOTRE DAME

82 CB STANLEY JEAN- BAPTISTE NEBRASKA

113 S TRE BOSTON NORTH CAROLINA

144 DE TAYLOR HART OREGON

167 DT RYAN CARRETHERS ARKANSAS STATE

175 CB AARON COLVIN OKLAHOMA

Sign Bennett, Ratliff and Donte Whitner....defense needs some swagger, these guys bring that.

If they run a hybrid....

4-3 formations...

DL- Bennett-Tuitt-Ratliff-Ealy

LB- Briggs-Bostic-SMC....People won't like it, give it a year though, if it don't work we know what they need next year.

S- Whitner-Boston

CB- Jennings-Baptiste-Frey

3-4

DL- Bennett-Ratliff-Tuitt

LB- SMC-Briggs-Bostic-Ealy

Secondary- Same

My idea of a hybrid defense is being able to throw a bunch of different looks at the offense using the same front 7.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually like it as a straight up 4-3....A 3-4, or a hybrid? not so much.

I'll throw out an updated mock offseason....It's late so I'll only go with the starters....

14 DE KONY EALY MISSOURI

51 DE STEPHON TUITT NOTRE DAME

82 CB STANLEY JEAN- BAPTISTE NEBRASKA

113 S TRE BOSTON NORTH CAROLINA

144 DE TAYLOR HART OREGON

167 DT RYAN CARRETHERS ARKANSAS STATE

175 CB AARON COLVIN OKLAHOMA

Sign Bennett, Ratliff and Donte Whitner....defense needs some swagger, these guys bring that.

If they run a hybrid....

4-3 formations...

DL- Bennett-Tuitt-Ratliff-Ealy

LB- Briggs-Bostic-SMC....People won't like it, give it a year though, if it don't work we know what they need next year.

S- Whitner-Boston

CB- Jennings-Baptiste-Frey

3-4

DL- Bennett-Ratliff-Tuitt

LB- SMC-Briggs-Bostic-Ealy

Secondary- Same

My idea of a hybrid defense is being able to throw a bunch of different looks at the offense using the same front 7.

I like the names you compiled.

In all the mock drafts Ive looked at Truitt is never at our spot in the second round.(the only mocks I give kudos too are former scouts)

Most of the mocks didnt have Baptiste making it to our 3rd pick.

I would love to get Whitner but dont see him going cheap enough to fit our cap space.

It would be great if all of this happened.

You werent comfortable having a 4th round player starting but you did that with Boston.

I like the names you compiled.

In all the mock drafts Ive looked at Truitt is never at our spot in the second round.(the only mocks I give kudos too are former scouts)

Most of the mocks didnt have Baptiste making it to our 3rd pick.

I would love to get Whitner but dont see him going cheap enough to fit our cap space.

It would be great if all of this happened.

You werent comfortable having a 4th round player starting but you did that with Boston.

I agree that half those guys won't be there but I used the fanspeak simulator just like you, so I just went with what they gave me....Who are these former scouts you give kudos to??

I think Whitner gets about 8M and Melton gets around 6M, so the difference in what we spent isn't too far away. Remember, to go along with that 16M number you came up with there could be a lot more where that came from. The way Cutler/Jennings/Slaus contracts were signed allow them to free up money as they need it, and I still expect to see Marshall to get an extension as well.

As for starting a 4th round player...To me there's a bit of difference between a 4th round starter at DE and a 4th round starting safety. I think you can "hide" a "bad" safety more than you can "hide" a "bad" DE.

I agree that half those guys won't be there but I used the fanspeak simulator just like you, so I just went with what they gave me....Who are these former scouts you give kudos to?? I think Whitner gets about 8M and Melton gets around 6M, so the difference in what we spent isn't too far away. Remember, to go along with that 16M number you came up with there could be a lot more where that came from. The way Cutler/Jennings/Slaus contracts were signed allow them to free up money as they need it, and I still expect to see Marshall to get an extension as well. As for starting a 4th round player...To me there's a bit of difference between a 4th round starter at DE and a 4th round starting safety. I think you can "hide" a "bad" safety more than you can "hide" a "bad" DE.

If you can hide a bad safety, we did a horrible job hiding Conte.....just sayn!

That's true. But the inverse is also true. With a good back 4, the front 7 doesn't have to be as good.

More so the up front way though. Talking about pressure, the QB doesn't have the ability to look off DB'S if they are getting pressure. Good DB'S will get abused by a good QB given proper time to go through progressions. That means everything to a passing attack. Ask Peyton.

I agree that half those guys won't be there but I used the fanspeak simulator just like you, so I just went with what they gave me....Who are these former scouts you give kudos to??

I think Whitner gets about 8M and Melton gets around 6M, so the difference in what we spent isn't too far away. Remember, to go along with that 16M number you came up with there could be a lot more where that came from. The way Cutler/Jennings/Slaus contracts were signed allow them to free up money as they need it, and I still expect to see Marshall to get an extension as well.

As for starting a 4th round player...To me there's a bit of difference between a 4th round starter at DE and a 4th round starting safety. I think you can "hide" a "bad" safety more than you can "hide" a "bad" DE.

I only had my 4th rounder as a rotation guy. I was bringing in Bennett/Houston and getting Wooten back as my starters.

They have the ability to gain more in cap space, but if you figure they bring back McCown(1.5) and extend Marshall, that money will be coming out of the cap also. So I am not optimistic we will be big spenders in FA.

If Whitner(and I like him) costs that much, he wont be coming here. Thats Byrd and Ward type money.

Former NFL scouts with draft sites

GBND

Draft Countdown

Matt Miller writes for Bleacher Report

Our Lads has good information on it.

That's true. But the inverse is also true. With a good back 4, the front 7 doesn't have to be as good.

While your statement in an of itself is true it is not fully descriptive of what I'll just call the weighting effect. I'll take the good front 7 over the good back 4 anytime because I believe far more often than not that will give the better result on any given play. Of course we're also talking about 7 vs. 4 so I think it's best to just say given the same LBs I'll take the dominant Dline versus the dominant DBs.

I only had my 4th rounder as a rotation guy. I was bringing in Bennett/Houston and getting Wooten back as my starters.

They have the ability to gain more in cap space, but if you figure they bring back McCown(1.5) and extend Marshall, that money will be coming out of the cap also. So I am not optimistic we will be big spenders in FA.

If Whitner(and I like him) costs that much, he wont be coming here. Thats Byrd and Ward type money.

Even better if you think he makes less than 8M. Again your mock had them signing Melton, who I believe will make no less than 6M, and in my mock I don't have them signing Melton or Brown so right there you have the money for Whitner.

http://www.chicagobears.com/news/article-1...8d-64ee7753cabd

Here are what all the "experts" are thinking will be the Bears first pick

I'm probably off base here, but I'm not that big a Jerrnigan fan just because he wasn't THAT productive in college. I know with guys like him and Hageman it's more about potential but still with that potential you'd think they'd be more dominant in college.

Jernigan had 11 tfl and 4.5 sacks this year. In a game against 1-11 Idaho he had 4.5 TFL and 2.5 sacks, so in 13 other games he had 6.5 tfl and 2 sacks.

Yes he had 9 tackles in the Nat'l title game, but Auburn ran the ball 53 times so there were a lot of tackles to be made.

I don't think he'll be terrible by any means, he's got loads of potential, but I personally like to see production over potential.

Even better if you think he makes less than 8M. Again your mock had them signing Melton, who I believe will make no less than 6M, and in my mock I don't have them signing Melton or Brown so right there you have the money for Whitner.

I'm probably off base here, but I'm not that big a Jerrnigan fan just because he wasn't THAT productive in college. I know with guys like him and Hageman it's more about potential but still with that potential you'd think they'd be more dominant in college.

Jernigan had 11 tfl and 4.5 sacks this year. In a game against 1-11 Idaho he had 4.5 TFL and 2.5 sacks, so in 13 other games he had 6.5 tfl and 2 sacks.

Yes he had 9 tackles in the Nat'l title game, but Auburn ran the ball 53 times so there were a lot of tackles to be made.

I don't think he'll be terrible by any means, he's got loads of potential, but I personally like to see production over potential.

The point I was trying to make was, if he cost 8 mil. we wont be chasing him. I agree when it comes to productive players, that should count more.

Jernigan-54-10 and 1/2-4.5.............6-2 292-5.00

Donald-59-28 and a 1/2-11.............6-1 288-5.00

Ill take the productive guy over the potenial.

The point I was trying to make was, if he cost 8 mil. we wont be chasing him. I agree when it comes to productive players, that should count more.

Jernigan-54-10 and 1/2-4.5.............6-2 292-5.00

Donald-59-28 and a 1/2-11.............6-1 288-5.00

Ill take the productive guy over the potenial.

NFL Mock draft website did a thumbnail on Bears picks.

1-Ealy/DE

2-Quarles/DT

3-Jean Baptiste/CB

4-Brooks/FS

5-Larsen/OC

6-Urban/DT

6-Neal/RB

I would be happy if we got that draft.

Also they had a draft with trades. They had us trade with the Jets and got 14th pick for 18th pick and pick 80 and a 7th rounder.

18-Jernigan/DT

51-Bucannon/SS

80-Quarles/DT

82-Skov/MLB

They had an article for FAs and they had us getting Clinton McDonald/DT/Seahawks. He is a good player.

NFL Mock draft website did a thumbnail on Bears picks.

1-Ealy/DE

2-Quarles/DT

3-Jean Baptiste/CB

4-Brooks/FS

5-Larsen/OC

6-Urban/DT

6-Neal/RB

I would be happy if we got that draft.

Also they had a draft with trades. They had us trade with the Jets and got 14th pick for 18th pick and pick 80 and a 7th rounder.

18-Jernigan/DT

51-Bucannon/SS

80-Quarles/DT

82-Skov/MLB

They had an article for FAs and they had us getting Clinton McDonald/DT/Seahawks. He is a good player.

I would be absolutely giddy if the Bears got the draft in bold. While I'm not completely sold on Jernigan - rather have Hageman - the rest of the draft would be ridiculous. Bucannon is a steal at that point; he might be the best SS in the class. Quarles is definitely a steal at that point. He's versatile as well. And Skov is a tackling machine. That draft would be epic.

I would be absolutely giddy if the Bears got the draft in bold. While I'm not completely sold on Jernigan - rather have Hageman - the rest of the draft would be ridiculous. Bucannon is a steal at that point; he might be the best SS in the class. Quarles is definitely a steal at that point. He's versatile as well. And Skov is a tackling machine. That draft would be epic.

I actually am liken Bucannon more than HaHa at this point, I am subject to change thou. Would love if we got him.

I actually am liken Bucannon more than HaHa at this point, I am subject to change thou. Would love if we got him.

NFL Mock Drafts did a first round with trades:

we traded our 14th pick for SFs, 30,62,94 and 4th in 2015.

then we trade SFs 30 th pick to Jacksonville for 39, 4th(101) 5th(132) and 6th(163)

so we end up with : I used Draft Teks list mainly because its 7 rounds

39-Donald/DT/Pitt

51-Fuller/CB/Clem

62-Smith/DE/Ark

82-Borland/MLB/Wis

94-Bucannon/SS/WasSt

101-Brooks/FS/FloSt

113-Carrethers/DT/ArkSt

132-Jean-Baptiste/CB/Neb

144-Fales/QB/SJS

163-Bodine/OC/NC

167-Huff/FS/Wyom

175-Ried/DT/PRIN

I will try to find a more realistic 7 rd draft. Just dont think some of them players will be there that late.

NFL Mock Drafts did a first round with trades:

we traded our 14th pick for SFs, 30,62,94 and 4th in 2015.

then we trade SFs 30 th pick to Jacksonville for 39, 4th(101) 5th(132) and 6th(163)

so we end up with : I used Draft Teks list mainly because its 7 rounds

39-Donald/DT/Pitt

51-Fuller/CB/Clem

62-Smith/DE/Ark

82-Borland/MLB/Wis

94-Bucannon/SS/WasSt

101-Brooks/FS/FloSt

113-Carrethers/DT/ArkSt

132-Jean-Baptiste/CB/Neb

144-Fales/QB/SJS

163-Bodine/OC/NC

167-Huff/FS/Wyom

175-Ried/DT/PRIN

I will try to find a more realistic 7 rd draft. Just dont think some of them players will be there that late.

Personally, I hate mocks like that because it's virtually impossible that that will happen. The point of mocks is to predict what the teams will do.

BTW - If the Bears did end up with 12 picks, I'd hope they'd do something else. With that many picks I'd like to see a mid-round RB, maybe a WR burner, and a potential backup OLineman. Four DLinemen and 3 Safeties would be overkill in my opinion.

Man, could you imagine the Bears doing those trades and then the draft plays out like the WF mock.....

http://walterfootball.com/draft2014_2.php

Look at what's left in the 2R....Yuck...Not a single impact DLmen left....I suppose if they filled their starting DL out in FA then it wouldn't be that big a problem.

I don't know. I think I could make that work with the supposed hybrid system and a situation where Peppers gets cut:

39 -

- Perfect fit. Rushes at DE sometimes, moves to OLB at others. Both sets he has one job: kill the QB. Just so happens that's what he's good at. This move sets up a variety of options at DE and OLB in terms of rotation.

51 -

- Lockdown corner. Either learns for a year or starts immediately based on what Peanut does.

62 -

- Great 4-3 DT, so not a perfect fit, but I envision versatility to a "hold the edge" 3-4 DE at times. Depth/Rotation pick.

82 -

- Great safety and wonderful value here. He probably ends up starting as a rookie. Never forget the Auburn hit.

94 -

- Monster. Anchors the middle for 3-4 sets.

101 - Jared Abbrederis/WR/Wisconsin - Burner who stretches the defense and also works well in zone gaps.

113 -

- Big RB, hard runner, faster/quicker than expected, obliterates arm tackles.

132 -

- I don't know if this is oversight, or if they believe he'll fall, but AJ McCarron would be a huge steal at the beginning of the 5th.

144 -

- I make no bones about hating the Bears' safeties.

163 - Hronis Grassu/C/Oregon - Apparently they have him listed a 2-4 rd. talent, but slipping to the third day. That's a steal for the Bears here.

167 - Jordan Zumwalt/ILB-OLB/UCLA - Battles for a starting role.

175 - Tom Hornsey/P/Memphis - Enough is enough. The Bears need a new punter. This guy won the Ray Guy award. Easy pick.

I'd be happy with that. Addresses all needs and gets several studs.

I guess that's fine, I'm just not a Dee Ford fan. There were a few times where he jumped offsides during the Senior Bowl, some that were called, some that weren't but the announcers did call him out on it. It looks like it could be a bad habit for me, and one that smart QBs will exploit on the next level. When he wasn't getting off early and the OT got a hand on him he was held in check. To me he's a full time LB in a 3-4, and just like I don't wanna see SMCs hand in the dirt anymore, I wouldn't really wanna see his hand in the dirt either.

If I had to take one of those tweeners going in the 2nd I suppose I'd go with Trent Murphy, but there's already questions about his explosion AND he needs to put on some weight which would further zap his explosion.

I guess that's fine, I'm just not a Dee Ford fan. There were a few times where he jumped offsides during the Senior Bowl, some that were called, some that weren't but the announcers did call him out on it. It looks like it could be a bad habit for me, and one that smart QBs will exploit on the next level. When he wasn't getting off early and the OT got a hand on him he was held in check. To me he's a full time LB in a 3-4, and just like I don't wanna see SMCs hand in the dirt anymore, I wouldn't really wanna see his hand in the dirt either.

If I had to take one of those tweeners going in the 2nd I suppose I'd go with Trent Murphy, but there's already questions about his explosion AND he needs to put on some weight which would further zap his explosion.

I am not a huge Dee Ford fan either, but given that circumstance, he might be the best option at that point. The rest of the draft more than makes up for it, in my opinion.

I am not a huge Dee Ford fan either, but given that circumstance, he might be the best option at that point. The rest of the draft more than makes up for it, in my opinion.

I do really like the rest of your draft. Would like it even more if they filled the starting DL in FA, or at least got "suitable starters" at every position. Hypothetically speaking something like Wootton-Ratliff-Paea-Orakbo, Orakbo being their only major signing.

Then they can use all those picks to build the secondary, create competition for Wootton/Paea/Ratliff, and build all around depth.

Something like.....

39- Ed Reynolds FS- Great size, smart defender.

51- Stanley Jean Baptiste CB- Would be cool with Purifoy, I like SJB's size though

62- Taylor Hart DE/DT- Extremely versatile, can play 4-3 DE or 3T, played 3-4 DE. He's competition for Wootton, Paea, and Ratliff

82- Anthony Johnson DT- I'm using WFs mock and he's there at 82. He provides comp for Ratliff/Paea.

94- Keith McGill CB/S- I know every draft site has him listed as a CB, but I'm sure most bring up the possibility of him playing safety. Love his potential there.

101- Deandre Coleman DT- Yes, another DT, this gives the Bears 4 with Ratliff, Wootton, Johnson, Coleman.

113- Jeremy Hill RB- Another pick I agree with.

I'm using the WF 4 rounder...Other 5 rounds I'd love to see play out TE/C/QB/LB/P

This gives the Bears great depth for years to come. I'd love the big secondary, and the fact that the DL is 9 deep (DT-Ratliff-Paea-Johnson-Coleman, DE-Wootton-Orakbo-Hart-Bass-Washington).

I do really like the rest of your draft. Would like it even more if they filled the starting DL in FA, or at least got "suitable starters" at every position. Hypothetically speaking something like Wootton-Ratliff-Paea-Orakbo, Orakbo being their only major signing.

Then they can use all those picks to build the secondary, create competition for Wootton/Paea/Ratliff, and build all around depth.

Something like.....

39- Ed Reynolds FS- Great size, smart defender.

51- Stanley Jean Baptiste CB- Would be cool with Purifoy, I like SJB's size though

62- Taylor Hart DE/DT- Extremely versatile, can play 4-3 DE or 3T, played 3-4 DE. He's competition for Wootton, Paea, and Ratliff

82- Anthony Johnson DT- I'm using WFs mock and he's there at 82. He provides comp for Ratliff/Paea.

94- Keith McGill CB/S- I know every draft site has him listed as a CB, but I'm sure most bring up the possibility of him playing safety. Love his potential there.

101- Deandre Coleman DT- Yes, another DT, this gives the Bears 4 with Ratliff, Wootton, Johnson, Coleman.

113- Jeremy Hill RB- Another pick I agree with.

I'm using the WF 4 rounder...Other 5 rounds I'd love to see play out TE/C/QB/LB/P

This gives the Bears great depth for years to come. I'd love the big secondary, and the fact that the DL is 9 deep (DT-Ratliff-Paea-Johnson-Coleman, DE-Wootton-Orakbo-Hart-Bass-Washington).

I hate to say this but I like all your names, and dont think much of Dee Ford. did I misspell anything?

I hate to say this but I like all your names, and dont think much of Dee Ford. did I misspell anything?

NFL mocks had a current mock draft with us having a first round trade with Miami. For 14 we get 19th pick, 3rd round and 7th

#1-Ealy/DE/Miso

#2-Bailey/FS/USC

#3-Qualrles/DT/SC

#3-McGill/CB/Utah.

I could live with those picks and like the idea of a a couple of extra picks.