Official Senior Bowl Thread

scs787

Last year we had a thread for all the rumblings that went on at the Senior Bowl, perhaps we can do that again this year, mods pin this if you agree.

Anyway, per Biggs

Iowa TE CJ Fiedorowicz said first team he met with at Senior Bowl was #Bears

I'm somewhat intrigued by them even talking to a potential "impact" TE. By impact I mean a player who will contribute.

Right now C.J. is slotted in the 3-4 round range, which if the Bears fix a good deal of their defensive problems in FA and then grab another couple defensive guys to start the draft I'd love to see them grab another big TE.

I'd prefer they wait and take a guy like Jordan Navjar, who was under utilized in the Baylor spread offense but looked impressive at the East West shrine game.

EDIT- My 2000th post....man tax return couldn't come any sooner, I need to get my car fixed bad so I can have a life again lol.

If the Bears ended up with Fiedorowicz in the third and Boyd in the fifth, I'd sure hope the first two picks were on defense, preferably FS and one DT/DE. Not to mention some help in FA.

It sure would be interesting though.

This is pretty much a given. Emery knows he needs to rebuild the D, I would be shocked if he went with an offensive player if there were still holes to be filled on defense.

Add Deone Buccanon to the meetings list. CBS has him as the top SS in the draft but has him going in the 2nd round. He's said to be an absolute thumper who's one of the games most intimidating players. Like with many thumpers his tackling technique is being questioned (sounds like Bostic) and is the reason he's not being talked about as a 1st round pick.

Also...The Pasquanelli signing was never made official, but he is sitting with the Bears staff at the Senior Bowl so that would seem to make the signing pretty official....I'll say it again, really like the signing. Trestman wanted someone with experience and he sure got it with this guy, been coaching since 1972(15 years before this guy was born).

I don't care how short he is, Aaron Donald is gonna be a monster. Watching the drills on NFL network and he's just dominating guys who are gonna be 1st round OL pieces. He's being talked about as low 1st early 2nd round pick. Wouldn't mind seeing the Bears trading down a bit and taking him in the 1st.

He's gonna be an absolute pest for anyone to block at the next level. He's shown that he can beat guards with power and just a plethora of crafty speed moves. You never know what he's gonna throw at you.

And there are some short guys in the NFL that are really good, see Kyle Williams, Glenn Dorsey, and Geno Atkins who are all just an inch taller than Donald.

I don't care how short he is, Aaron Donald is gonna be a monster. Watching the drills on NFL network and he's just dominating guys who are gonna be 1st round OL pieces. He's being talked about as low 1st early 2nd round pick. Wouldn't mind seeing the Bears trading down a bit and taking him in the 1st.

^^^ Case and point, good find Jason. Dude is easily my favorite 3 technique prospect in the draft.

Hageman has looked just like he has all season in drills this weak. Dominate at times but just "normal" more often than not. Donalds motor just seems like it's on another level than Hagemans.

Unless the Bears bring back Melton, or another 3 tech DT, I'm all in on Donald and would hope they're able to trade down to get him.

^^^ Case and point, good find Jason. Dude is easily my favorite 3 technique prospect in the draft.

Hageman has looked just like he has all season in drills this weak. Dominate at times but just "normal" more often than not. Donalds motor just seems like it's on another level than Hagemans.

Unless the Bears bring back Melton, or another 3 tech DT, I'm all in on Donald and would hope they're able to trade down to get him.

If Ha-Ha Clinton Dix is available, I'd want the Bears to draft him. Otherwise, I think the idea of dropping back a bit and getting Donald is a great idea. Especially if the Bears can pick up an extra second or third. There seems to be some serious depth in this draft. Imagine a trade back about ten spots (worth approx. 360 points) to the 24th pick. That would basically equate to the other team's #2 pick. And even if the Bears didn't want to go this way, maybe moving to a 3-4, it still works out pretty well because Nix projects somewhere in the early 20s by many.

He just gets off the ball so quickly that the OLmen had no chance to throw the down block.

However in that play dude was never even touched. Absolutely no excuse for that. He might be the fastest man out of the blocks and he should at least be touched. He might be great but I won't judge him based on that 1 play where oline screwed the ball carrier. Just like I won't deem clowney all world for blowing up the Ball carrier in the bowl game last yr. This is my only point

However in that play dude was never even touched. Absolutely no excuse for that. He might be the fastest man out of the blocks and he should at least be touched. He might be great but I won't judge him based on that 1 play where oline screwed the ball carrier. Just like I won't deem clowney all world for blowing up the Ball carrier in the bowl game last yr. This is my only point

I get what you're saying but that was a designed run play where the center pulled out and it was the guards job to throw a down block on him. He got a hand on him, but Donald is just to fast, slanted his shoulder and slipped on by. I won't say he was good OL play ultimately the OLman had no chance.

Here's a nice long highlight video on him

I get what you're saying but that was a designed run play where the center pulled out and it was the guards job to throw a down block on him. He got a hand on him, but Donald is just to fast, slanted his shoulder and slipped on by. I won't say he was good OL play ultimately the OLman had no chance.

Here's a nice long highlight video on him

Wow is all I can say. His 1st step quickness reminds me of a young Tommie Harris. Ability to make himself small to squeeze between guard andcenter and aawesome. Saw him using straight speed, bull rush and that swim move is pure poetry. I love that his motor is 100% full bore and never gives up and plays. And it seemed as though he was a brick wall. Just wow. If we stick with 4-3 I like him. Thx for sharing. I will rely on u guys for the draft as I didn't watch much college this yr

For those who don't know, the game is tomorrow at 3. Last 2 years the Bears took a guy out of this game, will Hageman or Donald make it 3 years in a row???

Game is also filled with intriguing safeties as well Jimmie Ward, Ahmad Dixon, Isaiah Lewis, Craig Loston, Kenny Ladler, and Terrance Brooks all could be potential targets in the 2/3R.

With no Peanut at this point a guy like Keith McGill, Stanley Jean Baptiste, Dontae Johnson, Pierre Desir and Dez Southward are all big corners to watch. (I do think we should get a corner with good size if they don't resign Tillman, not really interested in the small guys)

Couple potential big NTs to watch as well in Daquan Jones and Justin Ellis.

If Garza or Boggs aren't the answer at OC next year we may see or starting OC come out of this game also. While I don't think the Bears should go OC early, Tyler Larsen or Weston Richburgh could be available a little later on and look like good fits.

This us what happens when a guy goes unblocked. Though credit him for tackling both possible ball carriers. That shows instincts and a real feel for the game I think

Part of the equation here is that a guy like Donald must be accounted for immediately at the snap even on plays that are away from. Translation...if you pull the guy blocking him there's still a good chance he gets in the backfield to blow up the play. That alters what an offense can do and the less play options they have the better for us. I don't think Melton has that much short area quickness and I don't recall Melton fighting through double team blocks as well as Donald does in the second highight video.

As far as our scheme goes we always here about Lovie's D and the 3-technique. I'm not a coach but I'm pretty sure other schemes, even 3-4 defenses can use a 1-gap scheme and that guy doesn't necessarily have to line up on the outside shoulder of the OG. I remember many here wanting Darnell Dockett to play our 3-tech years ago. He's been very successful getting after the QB for years in a 3-4 scheme.

IMO the way offense's are today (pass happy) what matters is having players who can get immediate pressure up the middle as opposed to the old Blache style where the big DTs and DEs just sat back in their 2-gap scheme until they knew it was a pass and then tried to go after the QB. I see guys like Melton, Donald, and others who can fit in as DEs doing this in the right style 3-4 defense.

He's gonna be an absolute pest for anyone to block at the next level. He's shown that he can beat guards with power and just a plethora of crafty speed moves. You never know what he's gonna throw at you.

And there are some short guys in the NFL that are really good, see Kyle Williams, Glenn Dorsey, and Geno Atkins who are all just an inch taller than Donald.

Donald is who I'm intrigued with when u watch Pitt tape he will show that he is what u want as a 3 tech DT. 3 prospects I'm hoping for at the Bears pick Donald, Jernigan and Hageman.

Really a boring game IMO. Donald never got to the QB but he did break through the line quite a few times. I still love em but now I'm not THAT in love with him.

I thought Hageman actually looked better at DE than DT, but not great at either position.

Dee Ford showed off his speed, but for some reason I get a SMC type of vibe with him. He can win with his speed, but what happens when you get a hand on him?

Chris Borland and Telvin Smith were the most impressive LBs. I like the idea of Smith moving back to safety, he could end up being pretty darn good there.

I thought Jimmie Ward and Deone Bucannon looked like the best safeties

Crockett Gilmore looked like a real good TE catching the ball and blocking. If he's there in the 5th I think I'd take him depending on what happens in FA and the first 4 picks.

Stanley Jean-Baptiste and Dontae Johnson were the best of the big CBs.

A guy that really came outta no where to impress me was the dude from Princeton, Caraun Reid. Could be a good 3-4 round pick.

Really a boring game IMO. Donald never got to the QB but he did break through the line quite a few times. I still love em but now I'm not THAT in love with him.

I thought Hageman actually looked better at DE than DT, but not great at either position.

Dee Ford showed off his speed, but for some reason I get a SMC type of vibe with him. He can win with his speed, but what happens when you get a hand on him?

Chris Borland and Telvin Smith were the most impressive LBs. I like the idea of Smith moving back to safety, he could end up being pretty darn good there.

I thought Jimmie Ward and Deone Bucannon looked like the best safeties

Crockett Gilmore looked like a real good TE catching the ball and blocking. If he's there in the 5th I think I'd take him depending on what happens in FA and the first 4 picks.

Stanley Jean-Baptiste and Dontae Johnson were the best of the big CBs.

A guy that really came outta no where to impress me was the dude from Princeton, Caraun Reid. Could be a good 3-4 round pick.

Donald looks like a player, but I think we need someone that can be more of a NT/DT/DE type. Hageman is bigger and can play all those positions. Tuitt can play a couple of different positions if we end up going back and forth with our schemes as I suppect we will. I think we will still be a 4-3 but with the same personal on the field be able to switch into a 3-4 on the fly. Donald could become a stud, but too small to play NT and if we use the 3-4 we have to have that player to make that work. I think we resign Ratcliff , possible of Melton on a earn the money contract, and Collins as a rotational guy. So we need the NT type to rotate with Ratcliff and I think Paea could probably play the end spot in a 3-4. I also think with the pending release of Peppers we may get a pass rushing DE in the first round.

Hageman is bigger in height but they're about the same "girth" wise. Again, Hageman is 6'6" 318 while Donald is a touch under 6'1" 288 so while Hageman is 20 pounds heavier he also has 5 more inches for it to be distributed.

I again come back to Glenn Dorsey who played NT for San Fran at almost the same exact height and weight as Donald.

I like Donald more as a 3/5 technique though.

Hageman is bigger in height but they're about the same "girth" wise. Again, Hageman is 6'6" 318 while Donald is a touch under 6'1" 288 so while Hageman is 20 pounds heavier he also has 5 more inches for it to be distributed.

I again come back to Glenn Dorsey who played NT for San Fran at almost the same exact height and weight as Donald.

I like Donald more as a 3/5 technique though.

Dorsey wasnt special when at KC, but with a ton of good players on the SF defense, I suspect he looked better.