3-4 Nose Tackles

scs787

With the possibility of moving to a 3-4 I was looking at some of the 3-4 tackles from around the league and thought "These guys aren't that big"...So I question, does size really matter??

The 49ers used Glenn Dorsey, all 6'1" 297 pounds of him. He racked up 41 tackles and 2 sacks, which doesn't sound like a lot but for a NT that'snot bad at all.

The Texans last year, when they were one of the best Ds in the league, ran out Shaun Cody, who is 6'4" 307. This year they used a 6'3" 300 pound Earl Mitchell there, who got 48 tackles and 1.5 sacks. Their listed backup at the position is 6'2" 293.

The Cards, who had the top ranked run defense, went a little bigger, but certainly not "behemoth" big with 6'3" 317 Dan Williams.

Also, Jay Ratliff was one of the best nose tackles in the league and he's only 6'4" 303, and from an old article I'm reading he was only 287 when playing the NT in Dallas.

There are obviously a lot more big monsters like Raji and Ngata out there playing the position, but I question if you really need the huge 320+ guys out there.

With the possibility of moving to a 3-4 I was looking at some of the 3-4 tackles from around the league and thought "These guys aren't that big"...So I question, does size really matter??

The 49ers used Glenn Dorsey, all 6'1" 297 pounds of him. He racked up 41 tackles and 2 sacks, which doesn't sound like a lot but for a NT that'snot bad at all.

The Texans last year, when they were one of the best Ds in the league, ran out Shaun Cody, who is 6'4" 307. This year they used a 6'3" 300 pound Earl Mitchell there, who got 48 tackles and 1.5 sacks. Their listed backup at the position is 6'2" 293.

The Cards, who had the top ranked run defense, went a little bigger, but certainly not "behemoth" big with 6'3" 317 Dan Williams.

Also, Jay Ratliff was one of the best nose tackles in the league and he's only 6'4" 303, and from an old article I'm reading he was only 287 when playing the NT in Dallas.

There are obviously a lot more big monsters like Raji and Ngata out there playing the position, but I question if you really need the huge 320+ guys out there.

My question would be more of what's the avg size over last 3-4 yrs of a NT in a 3-4 defense. Obviously there are outliers in everything.

My question would be more of what's the avg size over last 3-4 yrs of a NT in a 3-4 defense. Obviously there are outliers in everything.

Just kind of average it out probably 6-3 320? Hageman or Nix, would definitely fit the mold. I dont think Donald fits that mold,we have Paea as that smallish backup. He would be a 3T in cover 2, maybe a end in a 3-4 but doubt it.

Don't have the numbers to average them out but just saying it all for what its worth. I think it's more about power and skill moreso than size. Pretty much you have to be a guy who commands a double team. Guys like Dorsey, while small, are just too much of a handful to play one on one.

Don't have the numbers to average them out but just saying it all for what its worth. I think it's more about power and skill moreso than size. Pretty much you have to be a guy who commands a double team. Guys like Dorsey, while small, are just too much of a handful to play one on one.

I think if we miss on Nix, guys like Hageman and Truitt can fit. Hageman either spot NT/DE or Truitt DE. Obviously we'd want to move down with Truitt. Whichever way we go, the guy that can handle playing 3-4 and 4-3 the better bc i think we will run both.

I think if we miss on Nix, guys like Hageman and Truitt can fit. Hageman either spot NT/DE or Truitt DE. Obviously we'd want to move down with Truitt. Whichever way we go, the guy that can handle playing 3-4 and 4-3 the better bc i think we will run both.

I agree, we need to fill our NT spot that can play also in a 4-3, we will be mixed in different looks and that is a key.

Just thinking. For those of us, myself included who are not impressed with mel tucker(no caps until he fixes the defense), the hiring of Pasq .... is a prelude to Tucker getting launched.Look for it to happen early in season if there is no marked improvement in the defense. Pasq will take over as DC and then the 3-4 look that they will feature as a change of pace will be more of the base defense. BTW everyone keeps hoping for Peanut to take a move to safety but I think Jennings with a multi-year contract is more of a candidate with his ball skills and tackling ability.

Just thinking. For those of us, myself included who are not impressed with mel tucker(no caps until he fixes the defense), the hiring of Pasq .... is a prelude to Tucker getting launched.Look for it to happen early in season if there is no marked improvement in the defense. Pasq will take over as DC and then the 3-4 look that they will feature as a change of pace will be more of the base defense. BTW everyone keeps hoping for Peanut to take a move to safety but I think Jennings with a multi-year contract is more of a candidate with his ball skills and tackling ability.

Jennings is younger than peanut so that is why they gave him the money.Peanut will be after more money than the Bears will be offering.I think they will bring Bowman back and a FA or two and a draftee. Tucker will get one year to prove himself .