I stand alone?

Stinger226

Were slow at work right now and I have a lot of free time on my hands, so I have been checking out the draft with my free time.

We need 2 safeties, 2 DEs, and 2 DTs,1 CB and I think the way the draft will fall that the best defensive player on the board will be:

C.J. Mosley/MLB/Ala

He is consistently rated in the top 10 players in the draft and is almost always there when we draft. I think we should take him because he will have a huge impact on our defense in the first year.

He is a physical specimen, although a light 238. but has great instincts.

He was the team leader on defense for the last 3 years, and we desperately need that.

We need to be strong up the middle and he can do that.

I think..........he will have a huge impact on what ever team he goes to. (think Luke Kuechly) Luke is 6-3 235, the 4th leading tackler in the league.

Almost all the mock drafts I look at have him available, and on the bandwagon to make him our first pick.

I wouldn't hate it if they fix the line in FA. One of the reasons Bostic sucked so bad was because OLs were able to get a guy to the 2nd level and he wasn't able to run free. If they don't fix the line we'll see the same thing with Mosley...Whether or not he can get off those blocks is to be seen.

I wouldn't hate it if they fix the line in FA. One of the reasons Bostic sucked so bad was because OLs were able to get a guy to the 2nd level and he wasn't able to run free. If they don't fix the line we'll see the same thing with Mosley...Whether or not he can get off those blocks is to be seen.

I agree. Everything starts with lines. We saw what a competent oline did for us. Fix DL 1st and foremost then we can look at Mosley or even dix

I agree. Everything starts with lines. We saw what a competent oline did for us. Fix DL 1st and foremost then we can look at Mosley or even dix

As pressing as our D line needs are, I think we need a play maker on defense. Between FAgency and the rest of the draft, I think we can do that even if we draft him with our first round.

Nix? he has some injury issues and I think that makes that a risky pick.

Hageman is a brute, but is he a 8 to 10 sack player in the middle? His numbers werent special at Minn.

Truit is big and versatile but is he a difference maker?

Donald, he looks like he can be special, but at 6.07' 285 lbs, kinda smallish for a DT. Is he a differentence maker.

My main reason for getting on C.J.s bandwagon is he is a true leader, and we desperately need that besides his football traits.

As pressing as our D line needs are, I think we need a play maker on defense. Between FAgency and the rest of the draft, I think we can do that even if we draft him with our first round. Nix? he has some injury issues and I think that makes that a risky pick. Hageman is a brute, but is he a 8 to 10 sack player in the middle? His numbers werent special at Minn. Truit is big and versatile but is he a difference maker? Donald, he looks like he can be special, but at 6.07' 285 lbs, kinda smallish for a DT. Is he a differentence maker. My main reason for getting on C.J.s bandwagon is he is a true leader, and we desperately need that besides his football traits.

It wouldn't be a bad pick. Most of the d-linemen have some kind of deficiency that questions me. Nix "knees", Hageman "too tall" and "not a 100% all the time guy", Donald "too short". Jernigan is the only DL I don't question. On the DE, is there talent worthy of #14? Safety, we have Dix if he's available. So I would have Mosely on the big board, after Briggs departs, can we trust both Bostic/Greene?

Not really alone because both are big needs for us. I think our biggest need is to fix the pass rush because no pass rush in the league these days will end your day early. Yet that can come from FA including players like Melton returning to form. I'll assume the edge rush is where our focus in FA will be and we'll let some of our younger guys develop there. That also assumes we switch to a sometimes 3-4 D where we'll still use guys like Bass, SMC, and Washington off the edge. That means the draft focuses on the middle of the D and the backend.

Needs matter on draft day but I don't believe you ever fixate on a specific need heading into Rd 1 of a draft, you need to grab the difference maker. If Emery has Mosley rated that much higher than either Donald, Jernigan then we should go there. For the same reason I won't be surprised if we grab a CB in Rd 1 but IMO fixing the defensive front 7 should be our highest priority.

It's an interesting thought because it solves one issue and creates others.

It allows Briggs to stay outside, where he apparently prefers. Problem is, he isn't really a 3-4 OLB because he lacks the skills to rush the edge. The best he'll do is charge in and occupy a blocker.

On top of that, it throws Greene in the trash. The lineup would be McClellin, Bostic, Mosley, Briggs. No way Greene cracks that roster.

Because of all that, I don't really like it that much. I'd much rather see an impact player up front or one in the secondary.

It's an interesting thought because it solves one issue and creates others.

It allows Briggs to stay outside, where he apparently prefers. Problem is, he isn't really a 3-4 OLB because he lacks the skills to rush the edge. The best he'll do is charge in and occupy a blocker.

On top of that, it throws Greene in the trash. The lineup would be McClellin, Bostic, Mosley, Briggs. No way Greene cracks that roster.

Because of all that, I don't really like it that much. I'd much rather see an impact player up front or one in the secondary.

I agree with the bold. If we wanna get an LB I'd actually prefer they get someone who can play both DE and OLB (If the Bears do indeed play some sort of a hybrid).....I know SMC is kinda that guy but he doesn't really offer much, if anything at DE.

That's actually the one thing I don't like about all the "hybrid D" talks. If SMC is your guy who flip flops from DE to OLB then the 4-3 formations are gonna blow.

Kony Ealy could fit the role of the guy who plays DE in 4-3 formations then stands up in the 3-4..

Not really alone because both are big needs for us. I think our biggest need is to fix the pass rush because no pass rush in the league these days will end your day early. Yet that can come from FA including players like Melton returning to form. I'll assume the edge rush is where our focus in FA will be and we'll let some of our younger guys develop there. That also assumes we switch to a sometimes 3-4 D where we'll still use guys like Bass, SMC, and Washington off the edge. That means the draft focuses on the middle of the D and the backend.

Needs matter on draft day but I don't believe you ever fixate on a specific need heading into Rd 1 of a draft, you need to grab the difference maker. If Emery has Mosley rated that much higher than either Donald, Jernigan then we should go there. For the same reason I won't be surprised if we grab a CB in Rd 1 but IMO fixing the defensive front 7 should be our highest priority.

I agree on the priority, DT or DE, but other than Clowney, who is a sure thing to be a diffenence maker? maybe there are a few who after a couple of years can have an impact. Ealy might be that player, or Donald inside? I think we try to bring back Melton on an incentive laded contract, and also Ratcliff, which probably means we are in more need of a DE. If Ealy is that pick, I would be quite ok with it, but where does our leadership on defense come from? Briggs surely isnt it, and Peanut probably will be gone. Mosley could become our team leader improve the defense and build from there. I think the first round will be our shot at a playmaker, who is that person? HaHa probably is at a FS spot, and that fills a weakness. Gilbert might be a very good CB and a return man, but how many CBs lead a team. My opinion might change as we go forward, but am thinking he will have the most impact on our defense his first year.

Make the case for a DLineman and I will be all in on that.

Why does it seem like everyone here is convinced we should or will switch to a 3-4? Because guys on our staff have experience with a 3-4? If you have the players to make it work then great, but I don't see a change just to change as a good idea either. I'm all for whatever best suits our players come next regular season. The draft/FA will give us a much better idea of the direction. I guess I just dont' get the love affair with switching to a 3-4. But maybe I"m the only one here. But as I said as long as we put a defense on the field that suits the talent, and gets the job done I don't care what style or format they go with. I just want to see our D improve to at least average or a little better than average. I don't expect it to be dominant, with our offense it doesn't need to be.

Why does it seem like everyone here is convinced we should or will switch to a 3-4? Because guys on our staff have experience with a 3-4? If you have the players to make it work then great, but I don't see a change just to change as a good idea either. I'm all for whatever best suits our players come next regular season. The draft/FA will give us a much better idea of the direction. I guess I just dont' get the love affair with switching to a 3-4. But maybe I"m the only one here. But as I said as long as we put a defense on the field that suits the talent, and gets the job done I don't care what style or format they go with. I just want to see our D improve to at least average or a little better than average. I don't expect it to be dominant, with our offense it doesn't need to be.

The bold part is the reason for my speculation. Our DL and LB coach have worked exclusively in the 3-4 when in the NFL. Those 2 guys also come from the Wade Phillips coaching tree, as we know Wade was one of the best 3-4 coaches around.....It doesn't necessarily mean they will, but at this point it would surprise me if there isn't at least a hybrid aspect to it where they flip flop guys around so they don't look so vanilla.

I'd be fine whatever way they wanna go, and with barely any defensive players signed ATM I think they can go whatever way they wanna go.

The bold part is the reason for my speculation. Our DL and LB coach have worked exclusively in the 3-4 when in the NFL. Those 2 guys also come from the Wade Phillips coaching tree, as we know Wade was one of the best 3-4 coaches around.....It doesn't necessarily mean they will, but at this point it would surprise me if there isn't at least a hybrid aspect to it where they flip flop guys around so they don't look so vanilla.

I'd be fine whatever way they wanna go, and with barely any defensive players signed ATM I think they can go whatever way they wanna go.

Your right about the coaches but it will depend on the personal we are able to get. I read a story about trying to pattern the defense after the Seahawks and there base is a 4-3