Who is your #1 FA Target?

jason

So I'm thinking, "What does this team need?"

A defensive player who can shore up the line of scrimmage, stop the run, let our athletic LBs make plays, and generally be a nuisance to the other team.

The best fit, in my opinion, is BJ Raji.

He fits the bill for every criteria above. On top of that, there are other perks:

1) He's disillusioned with Green Bay. They stuck him at NT and didn't let him rush the QB at all. He turned down a big, multi-year contract already.

2) He'd obviously give the Bears insight into the bitter rival's schemes.

3) He fits the bill whether the Bears go 3-4, 4-3, or 3-3-5. In the 3-4, he's a classic NT. He might not be happy about it, but he's very good at it. In the 4-3, he's still a NT but he has some rushing privileges. If, however, the Bears run the 3-3-5, which has been suggested, then it appears to have the benefits of being a hybrid system of sorts.

4) Numbers 1-3 could be used as a sales pitch when courting him. "We believe you have more to offer BJ! We think you can get after the QB as well as stop the run! You're not a 2-down guy; you're an all-pro DT!"

Stealing a rival's defensive stud, fixing our run defense, and allowing the players we have to better exploit their abilities...seems like a great fit.

Thoughts?

I said it awhile ago, I think Raji is a bit overrated. Like you mentioned, he just turned down a contract that would make him 8M a year, if he wants more than that that's a definite no from me.

My #1 target is a Michael Bennett, 1B is Brian Orakbo.

Bennett is capable of playing end in both a 4-3 and a 3-4. Orakbo is capable of playing 4-3 end and OLB in a 3-4.

Whether or not they have the money though is a different story.

A pass rusher on the interior or exterior of the line. Need to make a major splash on the dline, potentially two splashes (a good vet plus a potential high impact signing) + drafting 1 within the first two rounds. I also think we look to draft another LB pretty early, depending on who is available when we pick. Either way, I think we need 2 impact starters on the dline plus at least a veteran or two.

Ideally we would find a way to resign Melton + be able to get a DE (like Bennett / Orakbo), however, that will likely be at the expense of Pepp but puts us in a better place LT. Then you need to draft the best dlineman available to step in as well and probably should resign Wooten. In this passing league you need quality depth on the line and i don't think Wooten is going to break the bank.

Jarius Byrd would be a pretty big get too and would certainly shore up the safety position, however, I think you could sign Tillman for a lot cheaper and stick him at safety (if you can convince him to play there and believe he'll be healthy). If we lose Peanut, I personally wouldn't be surprised if we looked to corner early as well. Emery is going to have to fill quite a few holes on the D (+ hope that Bostic / Shea / Greene step forward).

A pass rusher on the interior or exterior of the line. Need to make a major splash on the dline, potentially two splashes (a good vet plus a potential high impact signing) + drafting 1 within the first two rounds. I also think we look to draft another LB pretty early, depending on who is available when we pick. Either way, I think we need 2 impact starters on the dline plus at least a veteran or two.

Ideally we would find a way to resign Melton + be able to get a DE (like Bennett / Orakbo), however, that will likely be at the expense of Pepp but puts us in a better place LT. Then you need to draft the best dlineman available to step in as well and probably should resign Wooten. In this passing league you need quality depth on the line and i don't think Wooten is going to break the bank.

Jarius Byrd would be a pretty big get too and would certainly shore up the safety position, however, I think you could sign Tillman for a lot cheaper and stick him at safety (if you can convince him to play there and believe he'll be healthy). If we lose Peanut, I personally wouldn't be surprised if we looked to corner early as well. Emery is going to have to fill quite a few holes on the D (+ hope that Bostic / Shea / Greene step forward).

I'd bust a big ol nut if this happens.

Couple this with the guy I brought up in the other thread, Kony Ealy, and also Jay Ratliff then rotate the front 7 like so....

4-3

DL- Bennett-Melton-Ratliff-Ealy

LB- Briggs-Bostic-SMC

3-4

DL- Bennett-Ratliff-Melton

LB- SMC-Briggs-Bostic-Ealy

The front 3 in the 3-4 looks a little small, but I believe the coaches ran a 1 gap attacking 3-4 which doesn't call for the big behemoths up front.

A defensive player who can shore up the line of scrimmage, stop the run, let our athletic LBs make plays, and generally be a nuisance to the other team.

He fits the bill for every criteria above. On top of that, there are other perks:

1) He's disillusioned with Green Bay. They stuck him at NT and didn't let him rush the QB at all. He turned down a big, multi-year contract already.

3) He fits the bill whether the Bears go 3-4, 4-3, or 3-3-5. In the 3-4, he's a classic NT. He might not be happy about it, but he's very good at it. In the 4-3, he's still a NT but he has some rushing privileges. If, however, the Bears run the 3-3-5, which has been suggested, then it appears to have the benefits of being a hybrid system of sorts.

4) Numbers 1-3 could be used as a sales pitch when courting him. "We believe you have more to offer BJ! We think you can get after the QB as well as stop the run! You're not a 2-down guy; you're an all-pro DT!"

Stealing a rival's defensive stud, fixing our run defense, and allowing the players we have to better exploit their abilities...seems like a great fit.

Thoughts?

If he turned down a big contract, why is he willing to play here, we wont be offering him lots of money?

If he doesnt like playing NT in the 3-4 why will he come here, with us probably using that scheme for some of our defense?

I think he is a good player, but not an all pro type DT.

If we give anyone a decent amount of money, it will be someone that has some stats to back him up as a pass rusher. B. J. has 10 and 1/2 sacks in 5 years.

I'd bust a big ol nut if this happens.

Couple this with the guy I brought up in the other thread, Kony Ealy, and also Jay Ratliff then rotate the front 7 like so....

4-3

DL- Bennett-Melton-Ratliff-Ealy

LB- Briggs-Bostic-SMC

3-4

DL- Bennett-Ratliff-Melton

LB- SMC-Briggs-Bostic-Ealy

The front 3 in the 3-4 looks a little small, but I believe the coaches ran a 1 gap attacking 3-4 which doesn't call for the big behemoths up front.

There going to move Bostic to the outside, so we still need to fill the MLB spot. I think when we go to a 3-4 SMC will come in but not be in on 4-3 schemes. Maybe we bring back D. J. Williams.

I think Bostic will be the SLB and Briggs moves inside on 3-4 schemes.

The hybrid part of the defense will be when SCM comes in.

Melton fits the size of a DE in a 3-4, but is not good when is tied up by blockers and 3-4 ends need to occupy lineman, to have an effective defense.

Ratliff can be the NT but need a true NT to be rotational with him.

Bennett if we get him is more the size of a OLB in a 3-4 than a 3-4 end.

It is really going to be tuff to bounce back and forth with the players we have and assume they will get. It will not be a true 3-4, we will bring in SCM and a guy we dont have to play NT and use Ratliff and Melton to play end in the 3-4.

Thoughts?

I am going to choose a player that we can get. I think we take a shot on Stevie Brown/FS last played with the Giants.

He was injured this year but in 2012 had 11 PDs and 8 interceptions in 11 game starts. He is young and can be gotten for a cheap price.

I can pick a more notable name but choose to pick a player on the rise we can get at a cheap price.

There going to move Bostic to the outside, so we still need to fill the MLB spot. I think when we go to a 3-4 SMC will come in but not be in on 4-3 schemes. Maybe we bring back D. J. Williams.

I think Bostic will be the SLB and Briggs moves inside on 3-4 schemes.

The hybrid part of the defense will be when SCM comes in.

Melton fits the size of a DE in a 3-4, but is not good when is tied up by blockers and 3-4 ends need to occupy lineman, to have an effective defense.

Ratliff can be the NT but need a true NT to be rotational with him.

Bennett if we get him is more the size of a OLB in a 3-4 than a 3-4 end.

It is really going to be tuff to bounce back and forth with the players we have and assume they will get. It will not be a true 3-4, we will bring in SCM and a guy we dont have to play NT and use Ratliff and Melton to play end in the 3-4.

I tend to disagree with a lot of this, and I'm a little iffy on one thing.....

First, I really don't know how hybrid defenses work with regards to people rotating in and out but the way I envision it is using the same 7 guys up front 75% of the time. I'm having a hard time trying to explain it, but A. What happens when a team goes into a hurry up offense, how are you gonna get your players out there when you wanna make the switch and B. Doesn't it take out a bit of the surprise element to a hybrid D? The idea of the hybrid D is to keep the other team guessing and on their feet. If you rotate in a big ol NT and SMC the other team is gonna know whats up.

New England is the only reference point I know for the "hybrid defense" and the key to that defense was Rob Ninkovich. He's the guy that rotates all around the front 7 so they don't need to bring in new personnel to run a different look. SMC could/should have been that guy but I just have no faith in him as a DE.

As for all the out of position talk with a few players.....

I know Emery said Bostics future might be at OLB but I think that was made when thinking about a 4-3. When talking about guys out of position, he's a guy you should be talking about.

The other guys, I think they run a 1 gap 3-4...The guys we have on staff came from Houston and Dallas and are "Wade Phillips guys"....

Houston 2012, when they were a top 5 D....

JJ Watt(6'5" 290)- Shaun Cody(6-4 292)- Antonio Smith (6'3" 274)

My suggested Bears front 3 is

Michael Bennett (6'4" 274)- Jay Ratliff (6-4" 293)- Henry Melton (6'3" 295)

pretty similar right? Bennett also played DT for Seattle this year so he's far more suited to play end than LB.

A hybrid D is new to all of us, there's gonna be a lot of different views on how we think it should look.

I tend to disagree with a lot of this, and I'm a little iffy on one thing.....

First, I really don't know how hybrid defenses work with regards to people rotating in and out but the way I envision it is using the same 7 guys up front 75% of the time. I'm having a hard time trying to explain it, but A. What happens when a team goes into a hurry up offense, how are you gonna get your players out there when you wanna make the switch and B. Doesn't it take out a bit of the surprise element to a hybrid D? The idea of the hybrid D is to keep the other team guessing and on their feet. If you rotate in a big ol NT and SMC the other team is gonna know whats up.

New England is the only reference point I know for the "hybrid defense" and the key to that defense was Rob Ninkovich. He's the guy that rotates all around the front 7 so they don't need to bring in new personnel to run a different look. SMC could/should have been that guy but I just have no faith in him as a DE.

As for all the out of position talk with a few players.....

I know Emery said Bostics future might be at OLB but I think that was made when thinking about a 4-3. When talking about guys out of position, he's a guy you should be talking about.

The other guys, I think they run a 1 gap 3-4...The guys we have on staff came from Houston and Dallas and are "Wade Phillips guys"....

Houston 2012, when they were a top 5 D....

JJ Watt(6'5" 290)- Shaun Cody(6-4 292)- Antonio Smith (6'3" 274)

My suggested Bears front 3 is

Michael Bennett (6'4" 274)- Jay Ratliff (6-4" 293)- Henry Melton (6'3" 295)

pretty similar right? Bennett also played DT for Seattle this year so he's far more suited to play end than LB.

A hybrid D is new to all of us, there's gonna be a lot of different views on how we think it should look.

We are assuming a lot here since the fact is we dont know who our personal will be. Your right about switching players, but we still dont have Bennett(of which I am all in on) and drafting Ealy.

What we have Peppers(color him gone) Even if we restructure his contract, if will free up maybe 4 to 5 mil, that wont get us Bennett. He will be paid to much and then we have to worry about dead money two years from now to.

What we have Paea-He is a decent rotational player but has not been special. Maybe a NT in a 3-4,but that is a big maybe.

SCM- OLB and still not sure of what to expect

Washington-Bass --- they will be OLBers in a 3-4.

The facts are if Peppers is cut all we have is Paea, kinda hard to figure out anything we will do until we get some players to see where it is going.

There are several FAs that could play in both schemes, but we have cap issues and I only see one medium signing and several veteran minimums.

We have some potential room to play with , with the contracts we signed, but its tough to guess who and what scheme we will go for.

They is rumor that they want to bring back Melton, and Ratcliff, but that will only be at our prices so that is no guarantee.

So lots of ???????????????????????????????????

Thoughts?

I think finding our pass rushers is a higher priority than finding our run stuffers, despite how bad we were against the run. Pass rushers come at a premium price and are harder to find so our money should go there first. Plus I think Raji hasn't done much lately, at least nothing special, but his name is going to generate a higher contract than his play deserves. If he turned down $8mil/yr then he's a fool.

I'd rather have the combination of a player like Bennett at DE plus draft a guy like McCullers in the 3rd.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players...aniel-mccullers

STRENGTHS: Despite his inexperience, McCullers' size and ability to disrupt things from the middle often made him the focus of an opponent's blocking scheme. Has been double-teamed on most snaps and has even seen triple-team blocks often. Despite the attention, McCullers' size and strength make him tough to move in the running game. He plays with better leverage than one might expect given his frame, holding up well inside and sliding off blockers to handle two-gap responsibilities when playing the 3-4 nose guard. He was equally impressive against the run when Tennessee switched to a four-man front in 2012.

We are assuming a lot here since the fact is we dont know who our personal will be. Your right about switching players, but we still dont have Bennett(of which I am all in on) and drafting Ealy.

What we have Peppers(color him gone) Even if we restructure his contract, if will free up maybe 4 to 5 mil, that wont get us Bennett. He will be paid to much and then we have to worry about dead money two years from now to.

What we have Paea-He is a decent rotational player but has not been special. Maybe a NT in a 3-4,but that is a big maybe.

SCM- OLB and still not sure of what to expect

Washington-Bass --- they will be OLBers in a 3-4.

The facts are if Peppers is cut all we have is Paea, kinda hard to figure out anything we will do until we get some players to see where it is going.

There are several FAs that could play in both schemes, but we have cap issues and I only see one medium signing and several veteran minimums.

We have some potential room to play with , with the contracts we signed, but its tough to guess who and what scheme we will go for.

They is rumor that they want to bring back Melton, and Ratcliff, but that will only be at our prices so that is no guarantee.

So lots of ???????????????????????????????????

You, as well, are assuming we move to a 2 gap 3-4. It's the offseason, if we didn't talk about what ifs and assumptions then there would be nothing to talk about.

I just look at our new coaches, look at who they worked under, and what they looked like in the past and believe they run more of an attacking 1 gap 3-4 which doesn't require the big boys up front.

With the hiring of Pasq and Herring, 2 Phillips guys, I'd be a little surprised if the Bears moved away from what they're used to.

As for the cap issues, that'll be another interesting part of the offseason.....How much of the 22M Jay got, the 7M Jennings got, and the 4M Slauson got are the willing to dip into? Will BMarsh get an extension? Will the Bears cut Peppers, Bush, Bennett, Podlesh, and/or Weems?? There is work that could be done, will it happen? Well were talkin ifs and buts again arent we.

You, as well, are assuming we move to a 2 gap 3-4. It's the offseason, if we didn't talk about what ifs and assumptions then there would be nothing to talk about.

I just look at our new coaches, look at who they worked under, and what they looked like in the past and believe they run more of an attacking 1 gap 3-4 which doesn't require the big boys up front.

With the hiring of Pasq and Herring, 2 Phillips guys, I'd be a little surprised if the Bears moved away from what they're used to.

As for the cap issues, that'll be another interesting part of the offseason.....How much of the 22M Jay got, the 7M Jennings got, and the 4M Slauson got are the willing to dip into? Will BMarsh get an extension? Will the Bears cut Peppers, Bush, Bennett, Podlesh, and/or Weems?? There is work that could be done, will it happen? Well were talkin ifs and buts again arent we.

Looking at the hybrid thought and personal, I'd sign:

James Anderson OLB, Jay Ratliff DT, Corey Wootten DE

Rework: Julius Peppers DE

TJ Ward S, Malcolm Jenkins S

Draft: Try move down in some rds, up in others.

1-Ra'Where Hageman/Stephen Truitt DE/DT

2-Stanley Jean-Baptiste CB

3- Daniel McCullers/DaQuan Jones DT

4-Ed Reynolds S

5-James Gayle OLB

6-Max Bullough LIB

6-Gabe Ikard C

Defense would be:

CB: Jennings/Jean-Baptist

S-Ward/Jenkins

OLB-McClellan/Anderson

ILB-Boston/Briggs

DE-Hageman/Tuitt-Wootten/Peppers

DT-Ratliff/Paea /McCullers

I would love to target a Safety, either Ward or Byrd. I just figure that is where we could see the biggest upgrade vs Conte, Wright, Steltz, etc. As much as we got gashed in the run game, I believe that was more due to injuries than personnel. However, our Safety play was abysmal and would seem to be the biggest single position upgrade we could have. Conte was the worst player of all the starters in all units besides maybe Podlesh.

the #1 target should be the player that if we had no other additions would be the single biggest upgrade, and that has to be Ward or Byrd.

If he turned down a big contract, why is he willing to play here, we wont be offering him lots of money?

If he doesnt like playing NT in the 3-4 why will he come here, with us probably using that scheme for some of our defense?

I think he is a good player, but not an all pro type DT.

If we give anyone a decent amount of money, it will be someone that has some stats to back him up as a pass rusher. B. J. has 10 and 1/2 sacks in 5 years.

Because the Bears coaches could tell him they will use him differently, and allow him to rush more. The sacks are what he has basically wanted, was denied because of scheme, and why he turned down the packers offer. Earlier in his career he was allowed to rush the passer more, and he did much better, but then they decided they wanted a traditional 3-4 NT.

Charles Tillman at FS. I don't care what he says, his days of being an effective corner are over. That way we can move forward with DL and CB, all while getting him his next Pro Bowl nod.

I think if they resign him, he will do whatever they ask him to do. It will depend on what else happens in FAgency and then the draft.I think if they wanted him, he would already be signed. I think they are worried about giving him money and then not get full valve because of injuries. I would love Byrd or Ward, but I think they both are priced out of our range.Im throwing in for Donte Witner, might be able to get a little cheaper and can play at a high level. If SF decides they want him back, then Stevie Brown, had a great year in 2012.