What you think about Garza?

Stinger226

I was reading some interesting info on Garza.

Garza graded out as the second best lineman on the team this year.

He is a team leader and has been relatively healthy.

I was wanting to move on from him, but have changed my mind and want him for one more year.

We still need to add a eventual replacement, maybe find someone in the later rounds.

Lies, damn lies and statistics...

Bring on the replacement.

I was reading some interesting info on Garza.

Garza graded out as the second best lineman on the team this year.

He is a team leader and has been relatively healthy.

I was wanting to move on from him, but have changed my mind and want him for one more year.

We still need to add a eventual replacement, maybe find someone in the later rounds.

Wasn't part of the lure of Slausen to be able to play Center if need? Not that he would be the long term solution...but he did sigma new deal.

I too like the idea of keeping Garza. He's been around for quite some time and still is a contributing member. Drafting his "replacement" might be necessary or like Slausen someone young in FA who like Slausen could play more than one role.

Why again can't a long snapper also play center? I never understood that.

Wasn't part of the lure of Slausen to be able to play Center if need? Not that he would be the long term solution...but he did sigma new deal.

I too like the idea of keeping Garza. He's been around for quite some time and still is a contributing member. Drafting his "replacement" might be necessary or like Slausen someone young in FA who like Slausen could play more than one role.

Why again can't a long snapper also play center? I never understood that.

If it ain't broke don't fix it. Slaussen played well at OG. Leave him there and draft a guy for grooming at OC. If Garza is healthy and graded well by the staff, he deserves another year.

If it ain't broke don't fix it. Slaussen played well at OG. Leave him there and draft a guy for grooming at OC. If Garza is healthy and graded well by the staff, he deserves another year.

Yep. Keep it going another year with this group.

Oh no, you're using grades in reference to an OLman!!! Blasphemy!! 2nd best?? no way!!

Lol for reals though I'm fine with him returning as starter, and I'm also fine with them grooming Boggs another year to be the eventual replacement.

I know it's sarcasm coming from you, but any stats that put him as number two on the OL should seriously be questioned. No way he had a better year than Bushrod, Slausson. Maybe Long. The only one in question there is Long, but he had a ton of completely dominant plays that increase his average on the plays he didn't dominate.

I know it's sarcasm coming from you, but any stats that put him as number two on the OL should seriously be questioned. No way he had a better year than Bushrod, Slausson. Maybe Long. The only one in question there is Long, but he had a ton of completely dominant plays that increase his average on the plays he didn't dominate.

I refuse to get in another PFF argument, so I'll stear it a different direction.... Our friends over at windy city gridiron only had Garza tagged with .25 sacks. It doesn't surprise me that he's ranked 2nd highest.

WCG had Bushrod tabbed with 2.5 sacks.

Personally my eye test puts him 4th of the 5 ahead of only Jordan Mills. The biggest thing for me is that he struggles with shotgun snaps and we like to run that. With that said if we bring him back for 1 yr to help groom a youngster I'm all for it

Oh no, you're using grades in reference to an OLman!!! Blasphemy!! 2nd best?? no way!!

Lol for reals though I'm fine with him returning as starter, and I'm also fine with them grooming Boggs another year to be the eventual replacement.

He had a stretch of bad games but finished the season on a good note. In the beginning of the year he was trying to bring along two rookies and then they started to get it and his play improved.

Garza is here, line leader and his name isnt Jamarcus Webb, so all is good.

He had a stretch of bad games but finished the season on a good note. In the beginning of the year he was trying to bring along two rookies and then they started to get it and his play improved.

Garza is here, line leader and his name isnt Jamarcus Webb, so all is good.

In case you didn't realize it, I was being sarcastic. I thought he played really well last year.

I refuse to get in another PFF argument, so I'll stear it a different direction.... Our friends over at windy city gridiron only had Garza tagged with .25 sacks. It doesn't surprise me that he's ranked 2nd highest.

WCG had Bushrod tabbed with 2.5 sacks.

That's like saying the moon caused less heat stroke than the sun. OF COURSE Garza would be less responsible for sacks! Bushrod had to deal with edge rushers. Defensive Ends whose primary job is to kill the QB. Meanwhile, Garza deals with mostly fat boys, guys designed to stop the run. And when he doesn't deal with those guys, he's dealing with guys who attack the gap, making it difficult to ascertain whose offensive line responsibility they become. And even then, I'm willing to bet there are significantly more double-teams on the inside moves than their are outside. Make no mistake, Bushrod is on an island much more than Garza is.

That stat is nearly meaningless. Just because they both played on the offensive line doesn't mean that their responsibilities are the same, or that their stats should even correlate.

That's like saying the moon caused less heat stroke than the sun. OF COURSE Garza would be less responsible for sacks! Bushrod had to deal with edge rushers. Defensive Ends whose primary job is to kill the QB. Meanwhile, Garza deals with mostly fat boys, guys designed to stop the run. And when he doesn't deal with those guys, he's dealing with guys who attack the gap, making it difficult to ascertain whose offensive line responsibility they become. And even then, I'm willing to bet there are significantly more double-teams on the inside moves than their are outside. Make no mistake, Bushrod is on an island much more than Garza is.

That stat is nearly meaningless. Just because they both played on the offensive line doesn't mean that their responsibilities are the same, or that their stats should even correlate.

I have no problem with this assessment. That's more than likely why Garza got the 2nd highest ranking because his jobs easier. I never said I agree with the gradings just that I'm not surprised by his better ranking.

Heres a tidbit on Bushrod...

PFF had Bushrod solid for 15 games, but his -11.6 against the Rams killed his overall grade.

that quote was taken from WCG.

I have no problem with this assessment. That's more than likely why Garza got the 2nd highest ranking because his jobs easier. I never said I agree with the gradings just that I'm not surprised by his better ranking.

That's fair. I didn't know you disagreed, or potentially disagreed, with this stuff. You present it and defend it as if you feel it's without doubt. As the other thread shows, nobody thus far puts Garza ahead of Bushrod, and the stats obviously don't tell the entire story.

That's fair. I didn't know you disagreed, or potentially disagreed, with this stuff. You present it and defend it as if you feel it's without doubt. As the other thread shows, nobody thus far puts Garza ahead of Bushrod, and the stats obviously don't tell the entire story.

Stats are just a tool for judging someone, the eye test adds to it too. I think he played ok, but not great. We judge the offensive line and the fact is they were average at best, but because we were so terrible 2 years ago it makes them look good. They were average, ranked around 20 if you look at stats. That is great improvement for us and with the two rookies improving it will be better next year. We will find a replacement for Garza, hopefully this year, but let him learn for a year and get some coaching and gain in stength and a year from now Garza can give his spot to a new guy.