Rank the OL

jason

So, because of the other thread, here's the official/unofficial offensive line rankings. Simple stuff. Rank the five Bears offensive linemen 1-5 throughout the year. Consider effectiveness, consistency, penalties, sacks, huge plays, leadership, dominance, responsibility, etc.

For my money it's probably:

1) Bushrod - Huge problems before this year. Nearly no problems this year. Called on to man the most difficult position, and for the most part dominated.

2) Slauson - Rarely heard anything about him. That's good. An anchor for the OL.

3) Long - Had some rookie blunders, but more than made up for it with crushing blocks and attacks of the second level.

4) Garza - Average veteran who neither dominated nor screwed up a lot. He's the Center version of a game managing QB.

5) Mills - Very good rookie, but had plenty of problems. Shows promise, but he needs to take a good step forward next year for me to feel good.

So, because of the other thread, here's the official/unofficial offensive line rankings. Simple stuff. Rank the five Bears offensive linemen 1-5 throughout the year. Consider effectiveness, consistency, penalties, sacks, huge plays, leadership, dominance, responsibility, etc.

1) Bushrod - Huge problems before this year. Nearly no problems this year. Called on to man the most difficult position, and for the most part dominated.

2) Slauson - Rarely heard anything about him. That's good. An anchor for the OL.

3) Long - Had some rookie blunders, but more than made up for it with crushing blocks and attacks of the second level.

4) Garza - Average veteran who neither dominated nor screwed up a lot. He's the Center version of a game managing QB.

5) Mills - Very good rookie, but had plenty of problems. Shows promise, but he needs to take a good step forward next year for me to feel good.

I agree with TD that Long probably gets moved up to #2 but that's, in my mind, because he so wildly exceeded my expectations for the year. Regardless, this is a good conversation to be having. With that said, depth is another question and with so much attention needed on D, I'm not sure we can expect to pick up much in that regard. If one of these building blocks goes down next year, Trestman's entire house of cards will collapse on offense.

Your assessment looks good to me...

Slauson - played every snap at LG for 815k, a FA steal, deserved the new contract; brings some nasty to line with Long

Long - 1st round pick, 2 sacks in over 1,000 snaps

Bushrod - big FA signing, played very solid

Garza - Line leader, was consistent, but not great

Mills - 5th round rookie, started all 16 games, needs to improve

Slauson - played every snap at LG for 815k, a FA steal, deserved the new contract; brings some nasty to line with Long

Long - 1st round pick, 2 sacks in over 1,000 snaps

Bushrod - big FA signing, played very solid

Garza - Line leader, was consistent, but not great

Mills - 5th round rookie, started all 16 games, needs to improve

Right on with every thing you said.