Some info on Melton from PFT

madlithuanian

The Bears jumped at the guys they knew they wanted to spend money on. The guys that didn't get any contracts are going to get to test the market. Maybe Tillman and Melton believe they are worth more then what the Bears had in mind. I would have to think the Bears have had some discussion about price range with their agents.

Lovie strikes me as one who will spend to get these guys. Tillman and Melton know the system and can fill in for one or two years down there.

I will say that Im kind of sad to see this group of D players broken up, starting with 54. I loved watching these guys play for so long.

Hoping Emery can do the same with the D that he did with the O!

Hoping Emery can do the same with the D that he did with the O!

I think he will. Problem is, the O was taylor made for a quick overhaul, as the key skill positions were set.

The D will be a different beast. First, we need to find an identity on D. Secondly, finding those leaders for it will be tough.(and can our coach coach it???) Lastly, putting capable components on the field in a cap tight year is gonna hurt.

I think he will. Problem is, the O was taylor made for a quick overhaul, as the key skill positions were set.

The D will be a different beast. First, we need to find an identity on D. Secondly, finding those leaders for it will be tough.(and can our coach coach it???) Lastly, putting capable components on the field in a cap tight year is gonna hurt.

Agreed, I think it will take a few years for the D to develop. They were bad this year and will be losing a few of their best this year. Other than maybe a spot or 2 at linebacker, there's not a player on the team that you can say has a spot locked up starting on D 2 or 3 years from now.

I think from a depth standpoint they're 2 years away, but I think Phil can build a solid starting D that if healthy all year could make some noise.

He needs to follow the exact plan from his offensive rebuild. 2 guys on back loaded contracts(Bennett & Bushrod), an "under the radar" near vet minimum contract(Slausson), and 2 starting rookies(Long & Mills)....I think those guys cost ~9 mill combined, or the money they save on cutting Pep.

I think from a depth standpoint they're 2 years away, but I think Phil can build a solid starting D that if healthy all year could make some noise.

He needs to follow the exact plan from his offensive rebuild. 2 guys on front loaded contracts(Bennett & Bushrod), an "under the radar" near vet minimum contract(Slausson), and 2 starting rookies(Long & Mills)....I think those guys cost ~9 mill combined, or the money they save on cutting Pep.

I think that is how he will attack it, like someone mentioned we had some good players in place where that formal worked, and the defense will take a few years but can be improved.

I think he goes after a DT,DE,S, and CB. Will grab the two spots that he can get at a reasonable contracts with and then the rest of the spots will be addressed in the draft. The key will be getting some Vets at low contracts that can contribute and give the draft kids sometime to develop. I think one important thing, both FA and Draft is to get a couple of players that are team leader types.

Meh, I think leadership label is bit overrated. Who was the team leader in Seattle? Sherman?

Not at all Sherman, Chancellor, and Wagner were their leaders and look at the results.

With Urlacher gone, Tillman, Briggs our for so many games, who was there to rally the team? Peppers has never did that. A lack ofLeadership is one of the biggest reasons everything keep falling apart.

Not at all Sherman, Chancellor, and Wagner were their leaders and look at the results.

With Urlacher gone, Tillman, Briggs our for so many games, who was there to rally the team? Peppers has never did that. A lack ofLeadership is one of the biggest reasons everything keep falling apart.

What really quantifies those guys as team leaders though? Being great players? 2 of those guys were 5th round picks.

I think leadership just = great players, and that is of course what everyone wants.

What really quantifies those guys as team leaders though? Being great players? 2 of those guys were 5th round picks.

I think leadership just = great players, and that is of course what everyone wants.

A leader is some one that speaks out, and keeps people in line. It doesnt matter where your drafted, it has to do with your personality and your aggressiveness in your actions on your team.

Peppers is a quiet guy, once a great player= does not equal leader. Briggs has a big mouth, and filled some of that, but his lack of keeping in shape when he came back last year, shows he doesnt have quite what it takes to lead. Tillman leads by example but doesnt have the aggressiveness to lead a team. Urlacher had that , but he is gone.

100000% disagree. Wow. I am guessing you've never been around a great leader on a team. I've seen teams overachieve by leaps and bounds because of great leadership. It goes hand in hand with coaching. A great on-team leader can do wonders. It's difficult to comprehend if you've never been around that type of personality.

Agreed.

Our D lacks a leader.

Not sure if anyone on board can step up until the former great step aside. That includes Peppy, Peanut and Briggs. However, of the lot, I think Briggs is the biggest hinderence from a leadership perspective.

A leader is some one that speaks out, and keeps people in line. It doesnt matter where your drafted, it has to do with your personality and your aggressiveness in your actions on your team.

Peppers is a quiet guy, once a great player= does not equal leader. Briggs has a big mouth, and filled some of that, but his lack of keeping in shape when he came back last year, shows he doesnt have quite what it takes to lead. Tillman leads by example but doesnt have the aggressiveness to lead a team. Urlacher had that , but he is gone.

Leaders not only do the work they are supposed to do, but teach, preach and enforce others to the same standard. A good leader can be a mediocre player, but make talented players great. A good example would be Ron Rivera during his tenure as a LB with the Bears. His nickname was "Teach" and was respected by Hall of Famers on the team.

100000% disagree. Wow. I am guessing you've never been around a great leader on a team. I've seen teams overachieve by leaps and bounds because of great leadership. It goes hand in hand with coaching. A great on-team leader can do wonders. It's difficult to comprehend if you've never been around that type of personality.

Meh, I played 3 years of rugby, and 4 years varsity football. High school ball was 8-12 years ago so I don't recall it as much as I do my time on the rugby pitch. We were all more of a band of brothers, we rally around each other, there wasn't 1 guy who was the "leader".

Everyone should be talking out there.

I digress though, I'll let you guys have this.

Meh, I played 3 years of rugby, and 4 years varsity football. High school ball was 8-12 years ago so I don't recall it as much as I do my time on the rugby pitch. We were all more of a band of brothers, we rally around each other, there wasn't 1 guy who was the "leader".

Everyone should be talking out there.

I digress though, I'll let you guys have this.

I suspect with your (band of brothers), you probably didnt win anything.

I suspect with your (band of brothers), you probably didnt win anything.

lulz, we were a win away from going to San Diego one year. We've sent a portion of our team to Vegas to compete in the Vegas 7's invitational.

Everyone had a voice on those teams, we didn't need a lone guy to rally around, we rallied around each other.

lulz, we were a win away from going to San Diego one year. We've sent a portion of our team to Vegas to compete in the Vegas 7's invitational.

Everyone had a voice on those teams, we didn't need a lone guy to rally around, we rallied around each other.

That works sometimes, but most teams have team leaders and that is the way of the world.

The Bears jumped at the guys they knew they wanted to spend money on. The guys that didn't get any contracts are going to get to test the market. Maybe Tillman and Melton believe they are worth more then what the Bears had in mind. I would have to think the Bears have had some discussion about price range with their agents.

I don't know that we jumped at the guys we wanted to spend money on. Like you said, I'm sure the Bears have had some discussion about price range. We broke the bank on Cutler and Gould. Jennings and Slauson both admitted to not wanting to go through the free agent process with uncertainty. My guess is that we made offers Tillman, Melton, and other players, and the response was, "Maybe later."

Last year, after free agency began, Melton quickly signed his franchise tendered when he realized the market for defensive tackles was bad. These guys could easily come back if the market isn't what they'd hoped.

I don't know that we jumped at the guys we wanted to spend money on. Like you said, I'm sure the Bears have had some discussion about price range. We broke the bank on Cutler and Gould. Jennings and Slauson both admitted to not wanting to go through the free agent process with uncertainty. My guess is that we made offers Tillman, Melton, and other players, and the response was, "Maybe later."

Last year, after free agency began, Melton quickly signed his franchise tendered when he realized the market for defensive tackles was bad. These guys could easily come back if the market isn't what they'd hoped.

I have read they have had talks with Peanuts people, Ratliff's,Melton's. I think they want these players back but at their price, so that is why there not signed yet. They have a plan, we will soon find out, so as soon as they get these deals done or fail, then it will become more clear as to what the next step is. I think they will set up the draft to take the BPA and March 11 will be having things fall in place. Emery's first year left a lot to be desired but that year he got Marshall, and Jeffery, so it wasnt all bad. Last year the jury is still out, but looks promising, so we will just have to see what shakes out.