Signing Michael Bennett

jason

First and foremost, he does not believe in the "home town discount." That's not terrible, but it means he's going to be looking for a huge contract. Is he worth it?

The Seahawks have the best secondary in the NFL, and it's probably not even close. Richard Sherman is arguably the best lockdown CB in the league, and their pair of safeties (Chancellor and Thomas) are both among the best in the league. It just makes me wonder whether his results should be better?

This article makes a good case for him and supports it with some stats that scs will break out the Jergens for, but for the talent on that defense, I wonder if he's as good as the money he'll be expecting?

Without even looking at the article, I go back to his year with the Bucs. The Bucs were a bottom 4 D and he still managed 9 sacks, 3 FF, and 2 PD, not gaudy numbers, but more than respectable. This year with the Hawks he wasn't "The guy" on the line either. He was apart of a 4 man rotation at DE with Cliff Avril, Red Bryant, and Chris Clemons. He only started 3 games. His results are skewed by the fact that he simply didn't get as much of an opportunity as most other DEs. He also lined up a lot at DT where it's tougher to get to the QB.

I'm sure the stats you're alluding to have something to do with the PFF stats, perhaps this.....

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/...y-edge-rushers/

....where he ranked 7th in the league among DEs in pressures per snap.

I don't want the Bears to "blow their load" on him, but if takes a sensible back loaded contract I think he'd be worth it.

Without even looking at the article, I go back to his year with the Bucs. The Bucs were a bottom 4 D and he still managed 9 sacks, 3 FF, and 2 PD, not gaudy numbers, but more than respectable. This year with the Hawks he wasn't "The guy" on the line either. He was apart of a 4 man rotation at DE with Cliff Avril, Red Bryant, and Chris Clemons. He only started 3 games. His results are skewed by the fact that he simply didn't get as much of an opportunity as most other DEs. He also lined up a lot at DT where it's tougher to get to the QB.

I'm sure the stats you're alluding to have something to do with the PFF stats, perhaps this.....

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/...y-edge-rushers/

....where he ranked 7th in the league among DEs in pressures per snap.

I don't want the Bears to "blow their load" on him, but if takes a sensible back loaded contract I think he'd be worth it.

I dont think he will be cheap but not elite money. After a couple are signed it will fall to reasonable contracts and maybe we can land him in that range.

I dont think he will be cheap but not elite money. After a couple are signed it will fall to reasonable contracts and maybe we can land him in that range.

My guess is he'd still be out of our range. With our cap space, I see us doing a ton of bargain shopping. Last year we did pretty damn good with some of the cheap signings we made like Matt Slauson, James Anderson, and DJ Williams. My guess is we find a way to keep Julius Peppers. As bad as he was, he was by far our best defensive lineman.

That being said, we've been somewhat spoiled as Bear fans by making a huge splash on opening day. We've done it 3 out of the last 4 years:

2013--Jermon Bushrod and Michael Bennett

2012--We traded for Brandon Marshall at the opening of free agency (not a free agent, but we absorbed his 27 million $$$ contract)

2011--the lock-out year. This was bad. We got a lot of bad players from Dallas.

2010--Julius Peppers

Not to mention, in 2009, we waited until April 2nd and traded for Cutler. (I'll never forget I thought Boers & Bernstein were having a belated April Fool's joke.

IMO, I think this will be one of those years where it's a week into free agency and we haven't done a damn thing.

My guess is he'd still be out of our range. With our cap space, I see us doing a ton of bargain shopping. Last year we did pretty damn good with some of the cheap signings we made like Matt Slauson, James Anderson, and DJ Williams. My guess is we find a way to keep Julius Peppers. As bad as he was, he was by far our best defensive lineman.

That being said, we've been somewhat spoiled as Bear fans by making a huge splash on opening day. We've done it 3 out of the last 4 years:

2013--Jermon Bushrod and Michael Bennett

2012--We traded for Brandon Marshall at the opening of free agency (not a free agent, but we absorbed his 27 million $$$ contract)

2011--the lock-out year. This was bad. We got a lot of bad players from Dallas.

2010--Julius Peppers

Not to mention, in 2009, we waited until April 2nd and traded for Cutler. (I'll never forget I thought Boers & Bernstein were having a belated April Fool's joke.

IMO, I think this will be one of those years where it's a week into free agency and we haven't done a damn thing.

I disagree, I think they will leap on a couple of FAs , not your Hardys or TJWards but they will identity someone and go after them, similar to last year but not quite the contracts given.

They have stated they want to bring back Melton, Garza, and Wooten. So I think they target a S and DE.

Someone like a Antione Bethea/S and Lamar Houston. 3 to 4 for Bethea and 6 to 7 for Houston. I figure the money they save from cutting Peppers will pay the bill.

Bennett's choices will probably come down to:

1. Stay in Seattle for the least amount of money but best chance at another SB

2. Come to the Bears and play with his brother for more money than Seattle, but less than other clubs

3. Go to another team with more cap space and get the largest contract possible

So if playing with his brother is worth a $1 or $2 million a year, it is possible, but unlikely.

From a budget standpoint finding our outside edge rushers in the draft is a lot more cap friendly. FA DE's command a big salary. Might be worth it like Peppers deal where he played very well until last season. Someone like Michael Bennett is not elite. He won't command an elite salary either but he won't be cheap. With cap space challenging Emery once again I think he'll do just like last year. Target a couple 2nd teir players early (i.e. Martellus Bennett) and overall go for quantity of good 2nd tier players versus seeking the FA diamond plus a bunch of 3rd tier FA's.

Michael Bennett is no doubt on our list but I expect we won't aggressively pursue him but will let him find where the market is at first. If it's in our range then we talk. If someone throws 1st tier-type money at him then adios. We can't save $10mil from cutting Peppers and just end up with one DE to replace him. We need at least two good starters out of that money, if not three, or four.

From a budget standpoint finding our outside edge rushers in the draft is a lot more cap friendly. FA DE's command a big salary. Might be worth it like Peppers deal where he played very well until last season. Someone like Michael Bennett is not elite. He won't command an elite salary either but he won't be cheap. With cap space challenging Emery once again I think he'll do just like last year. Target a couple 2nd teir players early (i.e. Martellus Bennett) and overall go for quantity of good 2nd tier players versus seeking the FA diamond plus a bunch of 3rd tier FA's.

Michael Bennett is no doubt on our list but I expect we won't aggressively pursue him but will let him find where the market is at first. If it's in our range then we talk. If someone throws 1st tier-type money at him then adios. We can't save $10mil from cutting Peppers and just end up with one DE to replace him. We need at least two good starters out of that money, if not three, or four.

While true, the problem there is finding one in this draft. Past Clowney, who won't be there, and Ealy there are a bunch of question marks.

While true, the problem there is finding one in this draft. Past Clowney, who won't be there, and Ealy there are a bunch of question marks.

I think there are questions about all the DEs, but those have less of a risk factor. On the average 50% of the first round are disaapointments. Hope ours isnt one of them.

I disagree, I think they will leap on a couple of FAs , not your Hardys or TJWards but they will identity someone and go after them, similar to last year but not quite the contracts given.

They have stated they want to bring back Melton, Garza, and Wooten. So I think they target a S and DE.

Someone like a Antione Bethea/S and Lamar Houston. 3 to 4 for Bethea and 6 to 7 for Houston. I figure the money they save from cutting Peppers will pay the bill.

The thing is, there are very few elite defensive players available. There are a few elite guys but the rest are simply good players wanting elite money. Pro football focus has Henry Melton ranked as the #3 available defensive tackle and Peanut as the 7th best CB available. If we dump Peppers, he'll be near the top free agent at defensive end.

At the end of last season, we only had 2 playmakers on offensive and a horrible offensive line. This year some of the better players available on defense are our own guys.

I see us supplementing our defensive with older players while rebuilding through the draft.

The thing is, there are very few elite defensive players available. There are a few elite guys but the rest are simply good players wanting elite money. Pro football focus has Henry Melton ranked as the #3 available defensive tackle and Peanut as the 7th best CB available. If we dump Peppers, he'll be near the top free agent at defensive end.

At the end of last season, we only had 2 playmakers on offensive and a horrible offensive line. This year some of the better players available on defense are our own guys.

I see us supplementing our defensive with older players while rebuilding through the draft.

Melton was a pro bowler in 2012, was a pro bowl snub the year before and he's still in his prime, saying he's the #3 DT like it's a bad thing is kinda silly. He's not what you would call elite, but he is really good. He wouldn't really be viewed as a "splashy" signing here but that's essentially what he'd be should they resign him.

I also disagree about Peppers, I put him in the same category as Jared Allen who doesn't even show up in the top 10 despite racking up 11.5 sacks.

Other than that your post does hold some truth to it since it's somewhat rare for elite players to hit the market.

Melton was a pro bowler in 2012, was a pro bowl snub the year before and he's still in his prime, saying he's the #3 DT like it's a bad thing is kinda silly. He's not what you would call elite, but he is really good. He wouldn't really be viewed as a "splashy" signing here but that's essentially what he'd be should they resign him.

I also disagree about Peppers, I put him in the same category as Jared Allen who doesn't even show up in the top 10 despite racking up 11.5 sacks.

Other than that your post does hold some truth to it since it's somewhat rare for elite players to hit the market.

I didn't mean that Melton being the #3 DT is a bad thing. I agree with you in that if he can return to form, it would be one helluva a signing.

We are desperate for help at DT, DE, and CB. Free agents near the top of those positions are Peanut, Melton, and possibly Peppers. Our defensive was horrible and we need to upgrade defensively. Yet we could easily spend a bunch of cap room on guys we already had to upgrade our defense. It's just strange.

Maybe it's strange because when players leave the Bears, more often than not, they typically go away to die. We part ways with Urlacher, and he's out of the league. Which brought me to this: HOW MANY FORMER BEAR PLAYERS WERE STARTERS/SIGNIFICANT CONTRIBUTORS LAST SEASON: I'm struggling here. Chris Williams started most of the season at guard for a really bad Rams o-line. D-Manning started 6 games for the Texans before going out for the season with injury. Kicker Nick Novak was pretty damn good, but he was never on the Bears active roster. I think we have a former fullback who is good for another team but for some reason I can never remember the names of our fullbacks.

While the majority of the Bears roster originated from different teams, how is it possible that there are no former Bear players doing a damn thing in the NFL. Am I wrong about this or am I forgetting players? (the simple answer is Jerry Angelo)

I didn't mean that Melton being the #3 DT is a bad thing. I agree with you in that if he can return to form, it would be one helluva a signing.

We are desperate for help at DT, DE, and CB. Free agents near the top of those positions are Peanut, Melton, and possibly Peppers. Our defensive was horrible and we need to upgrade defensively. Yet we could easily spend a bunch of cap room on guys we already had to upgrade our defense. It's just strange.

Maybe it's strange because when players leave the Bears, more often than not, they typically go away to die. We part ways with Urlacher, and he's out of the league. Which brought me to this: HOW MANY FORMER BEAR PLAYERS WERE STARTERS/SIGNIFICANT CONTRIBUTORS LAST SEASON: I'm struggling here. Chris Williams started most of the season at guard for a really bad Rams o-line. D-Manning started 6 games for the Texans before going out for the season with injury. Kicker Nick Novak was pretty damn good, but he was never on the Bears active roster. I think we have a former fullback who is good for another team but for some reason I can never remember the names of our fullbacks.

While the majority of the Bears roster originated from different teams, how is it possible that there are no former Bear players doing a damn thing in the NFL. Am I wrong about this or am I forgetting players? (the simple answer is Jerry Angelo)

It does seem a little strange to talk about bringing back a buncha guys we already had, but look at who we're mostly talking about...Melton, Ratliff, and Wootton are the 3 guys that get talked about the most. Melton was pretty much hurt all year, Ratliff was hurt for 3/4 of the season, and Wootton played out of position. The hope is they come back healthy, and in Wootton's case goes back to the position where he looked like he could be pretty good at.

Tyler Clutts is the FB you're thinking of and he was actually cut by the Dolphins last year (then picked up by Dallas)

Only other guy that come to mind are Greg Olson and Corey Graham.

Move up and get Clowney....

Give up our First, Peppers and Briggs...

Sorry, playing Madden GM...

If that worked financially and with the cap - I don't care to research - I don't think that's a horrible idea. Peppers is going to get cut anyway, and Briggs is on the backside of his career. There are no guarantees, but Clowney is a ridiculous athlete.

If that worked financially and with the cap - I don't care to research - I don't think that's a horrible idea. Peppers is going to get cut anyway, and Briggs is on the backside of his career. There are no guarantees, but Clowney is a ridiculous athlete.

way to expensive for so many spots to fill, but would be the bomb.

It does seem a little strange to talk about bringing back a buncha guys we already had, but look at who we're mostly talking about...Melton, Ratliff, and Wootton are the 3 guys that get talked about the most. Melton was pretty much hurt all year, Ratliff was hurt for 3/4 of the season, and Wootton played out of position. The hope is they come back healthy, and in Wootton's case goes back to the position where he looked like he could be pretty good at.

Tyler Clutts is the FB you're thinking of and he was actually cut by the Dolphins last year (then picked up by Dallas)

Only other guy that come to mind are Greg Olson and Corey Graham.

Damn, how could I forget about Olsen? Graham was more of a back-up this past year. Thanks for the Clutts reminder.

It's still pretty pathetic how few ex Bears there are doing a damn thing in the league. Course there's always Kyle Orton . . .

Getting back to players we want to bring back, I wonder how much we will consider durability as a factor?

Didn't really wanna make a new thread for this....

Martellus BennettVerified account

‏@MartysaurusRex

Free agency is coming up @mosesbread72 remember this childhood photo. Mmmm Chicago is calling you. pic.twitter.com/AsIDEpw8tZ

Bhg8YrECYAAqLh_.jpg

Yup that's my boy MartyB bringing up an old school pic of his bro in a Chicago jersey.

‏@MartysaurusRex

Free agency is coming up @mosesbread72 remember this childhood photo. Mmmm Chicago is calling you. pic.twitter.com/AsIDEpw8tZ

Bhg8YrECYAAqLh_.jpg

Yup that's my boy MartyB bringing up an old school pic of his bro in a Chicago jersey.

I think the Bears make an offer similar to the price you mentioned in a different thread. Will have to see if someone wants to pay him big bucks. Seattle released Red Bryant, maybe we can add him for a song.

Love it!

‏@MartysaurusRex

Bhg8YrECYAAqLh_.jpg