PFT: Marc Trestman: Our draft will focus on defense

madlithuanian

I'm shocked.

More tidbits to converse about.....

Brad Biggs ‏@BradBiggs 24h

Emery says Chris Conte needs to come in and compete to win a starting job. "I'd like to be talking to him about an extension."

That tells me they won't spend big money or a real high draft pick on a FS. That's just my opinion since he's leaving the door open for him to start. They'll probably bring in a vet or a mid round pick to compete.

Brad Biggs ‏@BradBiggs 25h

Trestman: Shea McClellin knows he will be a linebacker. Will work at Sam and some at mike as well

Thank god, I know it was talked about before but I don't think it was actually confirmed.

Why be completely silent and now release what you are thinking??? Wouldn't it be better to keep the idea of going 3-4 and what the side of the ball the draft will be most important?? Not that everyone doesn't know we need help on D!!

Who knows the game, maybe they go heavy O and switch to the 3-4!!! lol

Why be completely silent and now release what you are thinking??? Wouldn't it be better to keep the idea of going 3-4 and what the side of the ball the draft will be most important?? Not that everyone doesn't know we need help on D!! Who knows the game, maybe they go heavy O and switch to the 3-4!!! lol

Emery is also is "selling" that this draft has talent on offense early, which might mean he is hoping to find a suitor to trade down with.

That line about Chris Conte is more than a little cringe worthy. I'm not sure there's many people out there that could have played any worse at the safety position last year.

Agreed, but there's a good chance whoever they bring in to compete with him, even if it's a mid round pick, could win the battle.

I actually like the depth at FS in the draft. Kenny Ladler, Marqueston Huff, and Tre Boston are all expected to be mid round picks that looked good during the Senior Bowl.

Then there's Christian Bryant, who many here should love because he was the leader of the Ohio State D, who is coming off an ankle injury that is hurting his draft stock.

Conte was bad last year, but the defensive line was worse. He was adequate the year before. He really sucked last year, but shouldn't have been in the situations he was in as much as he was.

If the D Line had gotten more pressure, we may have be been talking about how good he was, as he did come up with some big plays this year. They were just over shadowed by a lot of bad.

Brad Biggs ‏@BradBiggs 25h

Emery said one thing he learned with Shea McClellin pick, would focus more on size and length in defensive end.

Atta boy Phil, learn from your mistakes......Eliminates quite a few DE prospects in the draft.

At least he admits his mistake, both Jones and Mercilus would've been better picks.

At least he admits his mistake, both Jones and Mercilus would've been better picks.

I'm with you on this. Rare to find someone be honest on the miss. He's right, SMC does not have the length to get off blocks at the LOS. In space he should be able to use his quickness advantage a little better to help get in position to make a play. We'll see how that goes.

Why be completely silent and now release what you are thinking??? Wouldn't it be better to keep the idea of going 3-4 and what the side of the ball the draft will be most important?? Not that everyone doesn't know we need help on D!!

Who knows the game, maybe they go heavy O and switch to the 3-4!!! lol

Not so fast. He did say the base defense is a 4-3 but then he added this:

---------------------------

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/football/be...-wide-open.html

“To lock ourselves in and be so narrow-minded that this is what we’re going to be when we don’t have the players to get it done would not be [wise],” Trestman said.

--------------------------

A year ago they were saying the same thing about the offense… they need to evaluate the players and devise the scheme to fit the talent. If you read the article it's clear that 3-4 alignments are not out of the question. I can only hope we have similar results with the D this year as we had with the offense last year. I don't see that happening simply because of the turnover at all three levels of the D so I'd be content if we can just be average on D this year.

Not so fast. He did say the base defense is a 4-3 but then he added this:

---------------------------

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/football/be...-wide-open.html

“To lock ourselves in and be so narrow-minded that this is what we’re going to be when we don’t have the players to get it done would not be [wise],” Trestman said.

--------------------------

A year ago they were saying the same thing about the offense… they need to evaluate the players and devise the scheme to fit the talent. If you read the article it's clear that 3-4 alignments are not out of the question. I can only hope we have similar results with the D this year as we had with the offense last year. I don't see that happening simply because of the turnover at all three levels of the D so I'd be content if we can just be average on D this year.

I think there going to draft and bring in FAs and figure out what scheme is best to run with what they have. I agree it will take two years, this year is important it get a playmaker somewhere, dont think everything will be determined by where SMC fits in the best. Bostic will be designated to fill Briggs shoes after this year, so he will either win the SLB spot or be everybodys backup. I suspect from previous behavior that Lance will come in in shape and play well, but also will be complaining about a new contract from the get go.

Yep. Although, I never understood the Shea pick. As a defensive end, most agreed that at best, he'd be a 3rd down edge rusher like Mark Anderson or Osi Umeniorya. Like with Anderson and Osi, Shea would be a liability against the run. The problem is that for Anderson or Osi to be successful, there has to be some pressure from the interior line. Without Tommie Harris, there is no way Anderson registers 12 sacks. Anderson didn't shed blockers as much as he went around them. When Shea went around a blocker this year, the QB was standing unmoved in a nice clean pocket or he was able to run laterally away without the additional pressure.

It was a pretty high pick for a long down DE. Especially when we were converting him from LB. Then we never gave him a chance to be successful and now we are moving him.

I'm cautiously optimistic he could still be good.

He wasn't a reach....if we ran a 3-4 lol....Looking at Mayocks top 100 from 2012 it makes me a little sad Shea to see that he was ranked 14th overall but as an OLB. He was even one of 2 guys Mayock specifically brought up when talking about the most impressive guys at the combine.

If only we ran a 3-4.